Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

no, i think we need a deeper dive on the condom spell

how long does it last for?? and what is its range?? do you have to keep casting it between rounds? if you're having an orgy how many do you need to put on the walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

no, i think we need a deeper dive on the condom spell

how long does it last for?? and what is its range?? do you have to keep casting it between rounds? if you're having an orgy how many do you need to put on the walls?

Can they be reused? Is it a teleport spell that just takes all the loads for you and is rendered unusable after too many of the glyphs have been covered? What happens if you accidentally hang it upside down? If you're loving a giant, do you need a big one? Do guys practice conspicuous consumption and walk out of the pharmacy with a 15 foot scroll case slung over their shoulder?

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Trying to imagine classic stories like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars if they were written like this.

Frodo finds a ring somewhere, Gandalf tells him it's kind of important, so he just starts wandering aimlessly until someone tells him what to do with it. Also someone burned down his hobbit hole for no reason, but that's not important.

[STAR WARS STING]

IT HAS BEEN 200 YEARS SINCE
DOMINIC DEEGAN...

BEGAN THE PIECE OF PAPER
WHICH FLEW INTO THE FACE
OF A MASSIVE IDIOT WHO
ALSO HAPPENS TO BE DEAF

OVER A YEAR HAS PASSED
AND THAT'S ALL TO BE
SAID ON THE MATTER

OTHER THAN WEIRDLY
GRATUITOUS NUDITY

[camera pans to entirely white void]

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Incredible edit. Exactly what I was thinking of.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

Can they be reused? Is it a teleport spell that just takes all the loads for you and is rendered unusable after too many of the glyphs have been covered? What happens if you accidentally hang it upside down? If you're loving a giant, do you need a big one? Do guys practice conspicuous consumption and walk out of the pharmacy with a 15 foot scroll case slung over their shoulder?

Are the scrolls and spells mass-produced and designed so that non-magic inclined people can use them simply by hanging the scroll and reciting the words on the box, or must both the scroll and the spell to be cast be handcrafted by the individual mage per use? Does that mean non-invasive and side-effect free birth control is a privilege of the mage-aristocracy?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You're thinking of this in terms of world-building, not "Put fantasy skin over early-aughts suburban America"

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Kavak posted:

You're thinking of this in terms of world-building, not "Put fantasy skin over early-aughts suburban America"

Would this make the Deegans or King David the leaders of the local HOA?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cloacamazing! posted:

Because it's not about safe sex and using protection, I guess. The Protection Scroll stuff is used as a means to show that Serk Brakkis is an evil jock and Luna was wrong to have slept with him. The focus of the entire story is not on Luna's feelings of betrayal, it's on Dominic finding out about his girlfriend's past life and his reaction to it. We don't actually see the part that hurt her the most, Serk sleeping with her sister. That part of the story is not important for Dominic.

It has this weird proto-incel vibe to it, where Dominic's main concern is more that Luna may have been "tainted" by having unprotected sex with another man. Not, you know, for her emotional wellbeing or anything like that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pyrotoad posted:

Are the scrolls and spells mass-produced and designed so that non-magic inclined people can use them simply by hanging the scroll and reciting the words on the box, or must both the scroll and the spell to be cast be handcrafted by the individual mage per use? Does that mean non-invasive and side-effect free birth control is a privilege of the mage-aristocracy?

Hell, extrapolating off of this: what does their technology development look like with the advent of magic, and how has it trickled out to the rest of the world? They have enough of an understanding of electricity to make electric guitars a reality, yet horse-drawn wagons are still a common enough means of transportation that no one gave Dominic and Luna any poo poo for using one.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It has this weird proto-incel vibe to it, where Dominic's main concern is more that Luna may have been "tainted" by having unprotected sex with another man. Not, you know, for her emotional wellbeing or anything like that.

That's kind of harsh. Deegan's a good guy, he forgave her for having sex with another man before she ever met him. He didn't have to, you know? That means he's a good person.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

That's kind of harsh. Deegan's a good guy, he forgave her for having sex with another man before she ever met him. He didn't have to, you know? That means he's a good person.

I'm still having difficulty wrapping my head around the cores of this arc being "A memorial is being built for a loving JOCK" and "The villain's worst crime is not using contraception in a way that makes no goddamn sense"

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Kavak posted:

I'm still having difficulty wrapping my head around the cores of this arc being "A memorial is being built for a loving JOCK" and "The villain's worst crime is not using contraception in a way that makes no goddamn sense"

To be fair, it's being built for a jock so a rich man can make merchandising money, because he's such a famous sports figure that souvenirs will sell all over or something. And this can only be done in Barthis because reasons.

And the villains' worst crime IS being a sex-haver tho. God can you imagine people who have sex? Why doesn't anyone let me have sex with them anime promised me my life would be different

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie can IMAGINE it, sure. He IMAGINES that he might draw some sexytimes with his characters someday, but instead draws nonconsensual cuddles and flacid ghost pied-pipering.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Somebody say flacid?

Oh what a clever little boy. See, we all thought it was the Ink Witch talking when really it was Arudak! That means...hmm, well...I don't know what this means for anything. I am actually surprised, though. Mookie had the self-awareness to throw in that line about Snout forgiving him one more time, it's a small admittance to all the uncool poo poo he had the Ink Witch do.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, that's a pleasant surprise (the mildest, most flacid pleasure). At this point I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I could see a pivot to Arudak and Corpse Person as the main companions working.

Before the update I had written all this, though, and I feel some points still stand :v:

The Little Death posted:

Chapter 14 the Battle for Barthis Part 1 [Part 3]

I'll admit I was sort of zipping through the strips to get to this point. Once again Dominic it is having a look at an intimate moment of Luna's past, this time the act itself. And here's where Mookie inserts a ham-fisted condom analogy into his story, to demonstrate just how much of a Chad Serk really is. In this case apparently protection spells "take too long", which is an even dumber reason to not use protection than any real world ones. This is literally proto-incel logic, the nice guy complained that he would always respect women's bodies and would always wear protection unlike those awful jocks who want to bareback. I can't believe that a man in his 20s wrote this.

Of course, Dominic's perfect waifu who couldn't actually have gone through with it, because that would've soiled her. The commentary by Dominic in this strip is especially creepy. He is literally spying on Luna's first sexual experience and getting report. I know it's being framed in a way that he is being synthetic Luna, but honestly Dominic doesn't get to have an emotional response to this. It's not his loving story. I think this more than anything is illustrative of the problem with Mookie's female characters. There is no part of their story or history that isn't filtered through the lens of a male character. Even this and obviously formative and important event in Luna's life, really only exists for Dominic to feel good about it. It is the male gaze turned up to an absurd degree.

I wanna highlight these comics in particular, because what the gently caress. What is Dominic even going on about, "you're smarter than this, show me how strong you are"? Is he implying that people who are coerced into sex are stupid and weak because of it? Are they less worthy of the respect of Dominic Deegan, Nice Guy For Hire? I don't know if Mookie consciously was making a statement like that, but that's sure what it sounded like.

Something that disappoints me is that Mookie does, to some degree, seem more comfortable with sexuality. If Legacy was original-flavor DD, then Evil Ink Witch would've been dressed in a bikini and been more blatantly sexual to mark her as villainous, while Good Ink Witch and New Companion would have been naked a lot less, if at all (and the latter's sexuality would've likely been filtered through trauma). There has yet to be any overt slut-shaming, though I would not be surprised if any appeared down the line.

The thing is, just because he's more comfortable depicting sex doesn't mean he actually understands sex positivity. One important tenant of it is emphasizing healthy attitudes towards boundaries and consent. Everything about the dynamics of Snout and his companions has stepped all over the concept, though. I mean, I'm trying to think of any number of other reactions Mookie could have had to the Ink Witch callout:

* He could've apologized, said he didn't mean it, and spent a week or two redrawing and retconning old comics to better reflect the intended characterization
* He could've apologized, said he didn't mean it, and change his plans for the comic by leaning into Ink Witch being an antagonist
* He could've apologized, said he didn't mean it, and do his usual bullshit of saying forces outside his heroes' control made them do bad things
* He could've ignored the comment entirely and pretended Twitter didn't give him notifications

All of these are imperfect solutions, the third carries heavy baggage (hello, orcs), and the last one is just being an rear end. But even that would've been better than what he did: Do his usual bullshit, then call attention to it not by apologizing but by vaguetweeting about the criticism and dismissing them as a troll. It's not just being ignorant, it's deliberately refusing to learn! Factor in that he has a history of this and it's... honestly, I'm not even outraged. I'm just frustrated that someone actively rejects the chance to improve themself.

I hope this does pivot into Ink Witch as an antagonist and Arudak as the new exposition machine. That would be a very good development by DD standards. Still, given Mookie's reaction to the callout, I doubt something like that would've been planned all along

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheHan posted:

Somebody say flacid?

Oh what a clever little boy. See, we all thought it was the Ink Witch talking when really it was Arudak! That means...hmm, well...I don't know what this means for anything. I am actually surprised, though. Mookie had the self-awareness to throw in that line about Snout forgiving him one more time, it's a small admittance to all the uncool poo poo he had the Ink Witch do.

if Arudak was fully, glisteningly erect it would be the best thing Mookie's ever made and would prove he's finally mastered the concept of self-awareness

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

TheHan posted:

Looking at the previous page... I don't think Arudak has done much to Snout that required forgiveness.

The only thing I can think of is putting Snout to sleep with magic to retrieve the pages that had been stolen by the Ink Witch.

I guess it could still be the Ink Witch talking, but Arudak is also in the dream now?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the legacy of dominic deegan is apparently that no one can get it up anymore

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

the legacy of dominic deegan is apparently that no one can get it up anymore

Erections imply filthy sex-having instead of chaste naked cuddling.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maltesh posted:

Looking at the previous page... I don't think Arudak has done much to Snout that required forgiveness.

The only thing I can think of is putting Snout to sleep with magic to retrieve the pages that had been stolen by the Ink Witch.

I guess it could still be the Ink Witch talking, but Arudak is also in the dream now?

Yeah pretty much, the only bad things before his "redemption" (suddenly deciding to be nice and work with the other two for literally no reason) are putting Snout to sleep and stealing the pages, and Snout being told by the Ink Witch that Arudak "doesn't deserve" the pages. Although she clarifies that they ARE his and were stolen from him.

The question still remains... Like the Ink Witch, why the gently caress does Arudak need Snout and insist on gaining his trust and friendship? Again, it's POSSIBLE Mookie is building towards a reveal of Snout's true nature, but all the narrative focus has been on the books and the pages and the legacy without a second wondering why Snout is so important.

Also why is this reveal a big deal? I mean, I guess it's the fact that Arudak can be in Snout's dreams too, but I mean... Ok? They're all involved with researching seers and dream stuff, so duh, but also, this is a redemption arc that already HAPPENED. Snout ALREADY considers Arudak on his side and trusts him.

Anyway, what this probably is really about, in the end, is the Deus Ex Machina that Snout has been wandering around waiting for to get him back on track. After this dream he'll see another stupid page or something he needs to follow so he can be dragged directly back to the plot, corpsemommy in tow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Arudak is impling that he's been the one who's been sending Snout dreams, not the Ink Witch, so she really wasn't abusing his trust this whole time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 29, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh so it was arudak snuggling up to him naked without asking in that hotel room, huh?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The question still remains... Like the Ink Witch, why the gently caress does Arudak need Snout and insist on gaining his trust and friendship? Again, it's POSSIBLE Mookie is building towards a reveal of Snout's true nature, but all the narrative focus has been on the books and the pages and the legacy without a second wondering why Snout is so important.

It really is building up to a “the Legacy is... Snout?!” reveal, isn’t it.

I could actually see that as an explanation of why Ink Witch has been so intrusive with him if it had been planned for her to be a manipulator: she had her suspicions, figured getting physically (but not sexually) intimate with him was the easiest way to get him to trust her ASAP on the off-chance she was right, and she doesn’t understand why he might be just a bit uncomfortable with her advances, because she just assumed that he’s a horny idiot.

But since this is Mookie, if her first appearance was good, there’s a 99% chance that she’s always going to be good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Since Mookie's overloaded the narrative with a ton of ominous sounding gibberish it's become pretty much impossible to guess what Dominic's legacy is. If I really had to guess, I'd say "The end of all prophecy" is that the seer class got patched outta Deeganworld, but then the legacy is Snout as the last visionbender.

But this is the same guy who wrote in a sentient ship made outta ink cause he decided it having a pilot would complicate things. The legacy will be whatever he decides it is as he's drawing the page it shows up in.

EDIT: If you tweeted Mookie (don't) with a correct guess I bet he'd throw such a tantrum at someone 'outsmarting' him that he'd change the Legacy to something completely convoluted.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 29, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dabir posted:

if Arudak was fully, glisteningly erect it would be the best thing Mookie's ever made and would prove he's finally mastered the concept of self-awareness

I would respect him so much as an artist for this :allears:

Do it Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Do not get your hopes up. Mookie only ever dissapoints.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do not get your hopes up. Mookie only ever dissapoints.

The key is for the thread to have vastly different expectations so he has to innovate to disappoint all of us.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Wow, "Hitmen for Destiny" was a blast.

Yeah, I read through that and "Transdimensional Brain Chip" yesterday and today. Them along with "Trixie Slaughterhouse For President" a few weeks back, they're very interesting!

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to loop back to this and say I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

I know, it's been a real illustration of the unreliability of memory here. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TheHan posted:

Somebody say flacid?

Snout's bisexual awakening!

Also, does that mean Arudak disguised himself as the Ink Witch in the last dream? Or maybe Arudak and the Ink Witch are cuddling naked somewhere else, in order to combine their magic powers to reach Snout.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why is his only body hair pubes

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I think it's rather more likely that inkwich used ink magic to disguise herself as Arudak, rather than Arudak secretly being an ink witch himself this whole time.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Arudak surprise with the Big Daddy Energy.

Relationship ended with Mommy GF with Biggie Milkies, now Snout only cares about Big Daddy BF with Penis.

like seriously there's some creepily sexual daddy energies here and like Mookie is aggressively straight to where the only gay characters he has are lesbeans and all his queer men are depicted as weirdos right, do you think this intimacy which--AGAIN the ink witch had an awkward intimacy with snout through these kinds of dreams so him doing this with arudak now gives HIM that level of intimacy this can't be unintentional and if it's unintentional than mookie's even more of an unconscious writer than I had thought--he's giving this scene is going to turn gay or is he just

mookie what is even happening thematically anymore, please, god,

if you just want to draw cuddleporn just do it, it's a genre, i'll judge you less harshly if you just admit to it i'll even excuse you giving it a paperthin plot to justify your fetish that's FINE in porn just cop to it man

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think it's rather more likely that inkwich used ink magic to disguise herself as Arudak, rather than Arudak secretly being an ink witch himself this whole time.

or they're just sharing the dream world

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

His sack's huge

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Arusak.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You know, it's a real missed opportunity that as a mongrelman, Snout doesn't have, like, a horse or dog dick or something. Maybe an echidna's 4-headed penis.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 30, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

A hemipenes that retreats under a scale when Mookie is feeling too heterosexual to draw them.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
At least let him inflate his balls in defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's so loving hilarious Disney was forced to localize and release this with no censorship as part of their Ghibli contract