Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also I kinda thought heavy cavalry was, well, heavy cavalry with barding etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It may just not be practical to have horses in barding. I imagine the number of horses trained to wear it is incredibly small and the working hours are likely long.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That better not be LAN. He needs to wear the armor from the cover of book one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Seeing that, I wonder how much they'll ape GoT aesthetics. That fantasy armor looks like it was sold as surplus from the GoT set.

That picture on the right reminds me of Korean armor I've seen shown in the ancient history thread. Maybe they got the armor as surplus from one of the many Asian period dramas? :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Libluini posted:

That picture on the right reminds me of Korean armor I've seen shown in the ancient history thread. Maybe they got the armor as surplus from one of the many Asian period dramas? :v:

lol I wouldn't doubt. it was super novel and cool when GoT brought in asian and middle eastern influences to their looks, so I'm not complaining too much if it looks similar. that visual flair definitively kept me watching past the series' date of expiration.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do we know how much money they put into it? I keep feeling like they put 10 bucks together to chase that GoT money.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nobody knows. It's Amazon Original programming, and sometimes they throw big money at their shows, and sometimes they don't. The Boys got giant exploded rubber whale money!

Either way, it'll be significantly less than Game of Thrones, though. GOT was record-breaking.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

realistically they can probably plan out their money usage better than game of thrones given that the series is actually complete, assuming they're making plans far enough ahead for that to matter

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-sho...%20competition.

Based on the tax credit Amazon received they've got to be spending ~74million on WOT in the Czech Republic, so the budget is even higher once you factor in actor salaries. Estimates are around $10million per episode which puts its on par with GOT season 6. Got started out around $6million per episode in earlier seasons.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

lol I wouldn't doubt. it was super novel and cool when GoT brought in asian and middle eastern influences to their looks, so I'm not complaining too much if it looks similar. that visual flair definitively kept me watching past the series' date of expiration.

I’ve forgotten a lot of the books, are the Lannisters using asian-looking armor there as well? Because Shienar has that samurai style to it in the book, which happened to come out six years before Game of Thrones did. So who’s stealing from who? Or they were both inspired by the same stuff.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Syncopated posted:

I’ve forgotten a lot of the books, are the Lannisters using asian-looking armor there as well? Because Shienar has that samurai style to it in the book, which happened to come out six years before Game of Thrones did. So who’s stealing from who? Or they were both inspired by the same stuff.

I meant the TV series. The look of armor wasn't super defined in the books, but the TV series had a mix of middle eastern and "asian" looking scalemail, alongside more traditional fantasy plate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, Shienar is very obviously fantasy Japan (at least culturally), so the armor style makes a lot of sense.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I started re-reading eye of the world again. This is only my 2nd time through the series. It's funny how it's repeated twice by Moirane that things aren't magical. And then Mat immediately grabs a magical dagger in Shadar Logoth. It's also really apparent how Jordan didn't quite have how weaves worked down yet, but it's still a very entertaining and awe inspiring magic system as seen by the farm folk.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I feel like 85% certain one of the banners at Fal Dara was black-and-gold. I wish I had my books handy to check, because it's bugging me - one of my biggest pet peeves with book adaptations is when they can't even be bothered to get small, easy details like colour right.

Artonos posted:

I started re-reading eye of the world again. This is only my 2nd time through the series. It's funny how it's repeated twice by Moirane that things aren't magical. And then Mat immediately grabs a magical dagger in Shadar Logoth.
Technically, Moiraine only said that objects don't have the Power. Shadar Logoth is not of the One Power at all. It is, in fact, a very Aes Sedai thing to have happen. :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

bio347 posted:

I feel like 85% certain one of the banners at Fal Dara was black-and-gold. I wish I had my books handy to check, because it's bugging me - one of my biggest pet peeves with book adaptations is when they can't even be bothered to get small, easy details like colour right.

Technically, Moiraine only said that objects don't have the Power. Shadar Logoth is not of the One Power at all. It is, in fact, a very Aes Sedai thing to have happen. :v:
Searchable ebooks are nice when this stuff happens.

There's some inconsistencies on which banners go with which thing in the first two books. When Rand travels to the battle at Tarwin Gap, there's the following descriptive line:

The Eye of the World posted:

Over the din, banners waved in dust-filled air. The Black Hawk of Fal Dara, the White Hart of Shienar, others. And Trolloc banners.

At multiple times earlier (and later) in the book, the Black Hawk banner is attributed to Shienar rather than Fal Dara.

Pennants atop the hoardings whipped in the wind, making the stooping Black Hawk of Shienar seem to fly all along the walls.

In the glossary, this seems to be clarified to some degree and the Fal Dara reference is apparently just a mistake:

Easar; King Easar of House Togita (EE-zar; toh-GHEE-tah): King of Shienar. His sigh is a white hart, which according to Shienaran custom is held also to be a sign of Shienar along with the Black Hawk.

Algemar's three foxes are red:

The Great Hunt posted:

Lord Agelmar faced the palanquin from the far end of the court, bluff and square and face unreadable. His high-collared coat of dark blue bore the three running red foxes of the House Jagad as well as the stooping black hawk of Shienar.

There's no mention of the background color on his banners.

Shienar's symbol is always referred to as the Black Hawk, so it's obviously black. The banner color isn't mentioned, but the surcoats of all the men-at-arms are consistently listed as golden yellow in both TEOTW and TGH

The gates stood open, tall and covered with dark iron, but a dozen armored men stood guard in golden yellow surcoats bearing the Black Hawk.

The Great Hunt posted:

Rand’s bay stallion was with the other group on the far side of the courtyard, with Ingtar, and a bannerman holding Ingtar’s Gray Owl banner, and twenty other armored men with lances tipped with two feet of steel, all mounted already. The bars of their helmets covered their faces, and golden surcoats with the Black Hawk on the chest hid their plate-and-mail. Only Ingtar’s helmet had a crest, a crescent moon above his brow, points up.

Black-and-gold shows up specifically as livery in Fal Dara. Here's the initial description of some grooms and Ingtar from the same chapter. The grooms are in black and gold livery and yellow is again used as a background color on Ingtars cloak and coat.

Liveried grooms appeared on the run, eager and smiling in black-and-gold. Rand hastily untied his belongings from behind the saddle and gave the bay up to one of the grooms as a man in plate-and-mail and leather bowed formally. He wore a bright yellow cloak edged in red over his armor, with the Black Hawk on the breast, and a yellow surcoat bearing a gray owl. He wore no helmet and was bareheaded, truly, for his hair had all been shaved except for a topknot tied with a leather cord.

Other mentions from early chapters in The Great Hunt:

The Great Hunt posted:

Women filled the corridor, serving women in the black-and-gold, ladies of the keep in silks and laces, women in embroidered shawls with long fringes, all talking loudly at the same time, all demanding to know what was happening.

Black and gold is also the color of the Defenders of the Stone (striped sleeves) and the servants who work there.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 29, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gold on black, eh?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Artonos posted:

I started re-reading eye of the world again. This is only my 2nd time through the series. It's funny how it's repeated twice by Moirane that things aren't magical. And then Mat immediately grabs a magical dagger in Shadar Logoth. It's also really apparent how Jordan didn't quite have how weaves worked down yet, but it's still a very entertaining and awe inspiring magic system as seen by the farm folk.

Given that she thought you needed a focus to channel when she was young (mentioned at some point when playing with her crystal), and the tendency of wilders to block themselves, I suspect that her lecture on "objects don't have the Power, people have the Power" was as much a hedge to avoid that as anything else. Truthful, as even ter'angreal were ways that people used the Power, but incomplete.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, Shienar is very obviously fantasy Japan (at least culturally), so the armor style makes a lot of sense.

I always took it as fantasy Japan, crossed with late medieval heavy cavalry, and as such they would be wearing a Japanese-inspired take on heavy plate.

I realize though that heavy plate armor is a stereotypical joke, and it's aesthetics go against the low-fantasy look most showrunners go for (and it's hard for actors to emote through a proper helm), so it's something unlikely to be seen on screen. GoT did something close with the Kingsguard in early seasons, but that's the only time I've seen it.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

I always took it as fantasy Japan, crossed with late medieval heavy cavalry, and as such they would be wearing a Japanese-inspired take on heavy plate.

It's this. Jordan tried to set up all of his cultures as a mish-mash of historical/modern cultures.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Artonos posted:

I started a reread recently and what struck me about EOTW is how goodamn repetitive it is.

A man in a cloak walked into the room. He had the look of danger.
"That man in the cloak has a look of danger!"
"That man in the cloak sure does look dangerous."
"The dangerous man in the cloak is also handsome!"
"Handsome!? But he's so dangerous looking! And his cloak is so unusual!"
The man swirled his cloak and left the room, walking dangerously.
"He was so dangerous and handsome! I wonder what that cloak was?"

The entire book is like that. I must have missed it my first time reading when I was 12. Luckily the repetition peters out somewhat after book two.

Edit: The repetition is super jarring with the audio book version. Some gave me a CD set of the audio books because it's apparently 2002 and I got through just a few chapters before just buying the book. You can skim over paragraphs but you have to listen to the narrator talk about Lan's drat cloak for the seven hundredth time.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 31, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone should make like a travelers’ guide cataloging all the inns and ranking them by how fat and bustling their innkeepers are

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s only a few that aren’t fat cause those are the evil ones/darkfriends.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well, you should never trust a skinny cook either.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Almost done with book 4 and it is hugely noticeable how much more the man/woman relationship stuff ramps up from book 3. The plot is so satisfying and the high moments are so high but they just keep hitting the same beats. The other major flaw is the Tanchico plot is so obviously unnecessary.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm gonna argue against that because it sets up Moghedien hating on Nynaeve for the rest of the series

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm so hopeful this series isn't going to be crap, I just need something to believe in dang it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Hey, maybe it's an opportunity to tell a great story and fix some of the mistakes!

I still envision in my head a beautiful, occasionally wantonly violent anime and wont ever stop dreaming of it. i know meat show will never measure up to that fantasy so i've managed my expectations. if it's watchable I might even do embarrassing poo poo like write about it or do a podcast no one will listen to

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It could go either way, I’m leaning more towards nobody caring and it gets 2 seasons but I hope they go all the way and it’s good.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I think the most likely thing to happen is that the show is fine but rushed in terms of plot because they want to compress as much of the story to get to the really good stuff. Then they get a shorter-than-normal S3 and try to do Dumai's Wells as a season finale, but it comes out nowhere because nothing has been properly set up, and they don't have the budget or directorial skill to pull it off. Show is announced cancelled a few months after S3. I might be getting a bit too specific with my predictions here but that's what's definitely going to happen.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm gonna argue against that because it sets up Moghedien hating on Nynaeve for the rest of the series

The funny thing about that Tanchico plot is that it sets up a ton of stuff that ends up sticking with the series for a long time -- Leilwin/Egeanin, Amathera, Moghedien, the sad bracelets -- but the actual events of Tanchico are almost entirely time-wasting bullshit.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

What's funny, is if you condensed and cut the fluff it'd probably be a 6 book series. The number of actual story beats.... is not actually that many throughout.

Yes I'm on book 10 why do you ask :thunkgun:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The funny thing about that Tanchico plot is that it sets up a ton of stuff that ends up sticking with the series for a long time -- Leilwin/Egeanin, Amathera, Moghedien, the sad bracelets -- but the actual events of Tanchico are almost entirely time-wasting bullshit.

The "we're literally wasting time inside while the men go out getting beat up for information" was a little egregious, I'll admit.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

BigHead posted:

I started a reread recently and what struck me about EOTW is how goodamn repetitive it is.

A man in a cloak walked into the room. He had the look of danger.
"That man in the cloak has a look of danger!"
"That man in the cloak sure does look dangerous."
"The dangerous man in the cloak is also handsome!"
"Handsome!? But he's so dangerous looking! And his cloak is so unusual!"
The man swirled his cloak and left the room, walking dangerously.
"He was so dangerous and handsome! I wonder what that cloak was?"

The entire book is like that. I must have missed it my first time reading when I was 12. Luckily the repetition peters out somewhat after book two.

Edit: The repetition is super jarring with the audio book version. Some gave me a CD set of the audio books because it's apparently 2002 and I got through just a few chapters before just buying the book. You can skim over paragraphs but you have to listen to the narrator talk about Lan's drat cloak for the seven hundredth time.
I've noticed similar patterns in other Fantasy.

Brandon Sanderson: HA Air sick lowlander, too much air for brain, makliki' iki'iki' for the 1,000th time. I love Rock, but goddamn does it get repetitive to read after a while.

Joe Abercrombie: Say one thing for logen ninefingers...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

The "we're literally wasting time inside while the men go out getting beat up for information" was a little egregious, I'll admit.

That was hilarious though

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Think that’s just fantasy writers gotta pad them 10 books out somehow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd have a hard time imagining the series any shorter than it currently is. being long as hell is just sort of ingrained in my head when it comes to wheel of time. jordan just loved talking about his setting all the time.

i finished it off a few weeks ago and i'm glad i did it. kind of excited to see where the show goes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd have a hard time imagining the series any shorter than it currently is. being long as hell is just sort of ingrained in my head when it comes to wheel of time. jordan just loved talking about his setting all the time.

i finished it off a few weeks ago and i'm glad i did it. kind of excited to see where the show goes.

Some of it is The engrained “someone might just pick this book up without reading the others!” Mentality that Jordan sometimes mentioned.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I think the most likely thing to happen is that the show is fine but rushed in terms of plot because they want to compress as much of the story to get to the really good stuff. Then they get a shorter-than-normal S3 and try to oTdo Dumai's Wells as a season finale, but it comes out nowhere because nothing has been properly set up, and they don't have the budget or directorial skill to pull it off. Show is announced cancelled a few months after S3. I might be getting a bit too specific with my predictions here but that's what's definitely going to happen.

At this point we're fully expecting that TEotW will take the entire first season--they're shooting Fal Dara sequences in block 4 (episodes 7 and 8) so they might be for letting the series breathe.

I was pretty convinced that they might have crammed TGH into season 1 based on episode titles and some other ancillary hints, but I think that theory has been definitively debunked.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

UltraRed posted:

Some of it is The engrained “someone might just pick this book up without reading the others!” Mentality that Jordan sometimes mentioned.

to his credit, there absolutely are some weirdos who will do that. not a lot, but some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

to his credit, there absolutely are some weirdos who will do that. not a lot, but some.

I received the sixth book as a gift, and I was too poor to buy the rest, and to far from the library to even see if they had them.