Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fly out here, tell them you’ll give them $500 if you can use a mechanics bay until you get it running, then ride it home.

Seems simple to me lol

But take a buddy and film it a la Finnegan and Freiberger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fly out here, tell them you’ll give them $500 if you can use a mechanics bay until you get it running, then ride it home.

Seems simple to me lol

border guards on the US|Canada land border are asshats of the first order when the border's open, gently caress trying to make that crossing in the cold with the pandemic restrictions going on

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also trying to do the paperwork to export the bike, during a pandemic, in the snow

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If it has been sitting, like most ancient goldwings in Boomer families, expect to take apart the whole thing, replace every seal and rubber component, before even dealing with possibly broken parts. And homemade upgrades and wiring issues. Those are my favorite.

Ancient goldwings are great, but only when someone else got it running first. What it has been ridden the entire time. There are plenty of mechanically functional ones near me for under $2,500.

For $350 you can part it out and make good money. That digital dash and saddle bags will be worth at least $500

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eh, I got a Goldwing out of a barn and after cleaning the mouse out of the airbox and then cleaning the carbs it’s fine. Doesn’t leak a bit.

Ymmv of course but they aren’t all nightmares

Honestly the worst part was the mouse piss :barf:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wonder if I could just pay em a thousand bucks to put it in a crusher or set it on fire and send me the video.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My 83 is an Interstate (non-aspencade) and analog so isn't a whole lot different than other bikes of the era tech-wise, but a digital aspencade is a different animal that I would not want to troubleshoot if it was not working. Anyone looking to get into a Wing should be very aware that there is a big difference between the two.

That said, there are so many out there just take the time to find one you like. Want a nice runner that needs nothing? ~$1200 (here in the land of cheese). Museum piece? ~$3000. Running but somewhat ratty? ~$700. Titled parts bike or project? ~$300. It's a market that's going to be cheap for a good while, but available cheap bikes are the culture's next wave of project bikes, so they will eventually dry up and the only ones you will find will be a rattle canned pile of parts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Ah that's only a 11.5 hours drive from my house in Canada, during a pandemic,

The land borders are "closed" to "non-essential" traffic in both directions, but the airports aren't if you're entering the States. So yeah you'd have to fly down, and ride it back as a returning Canadian and good f'n luck at the border crossing

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Watertown isn't that far from me, but I really don't like the idea of trying to get a non-running wing onto my trailer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

My 83 is an Interstate (non-aspencade) and analog so isn't a whole lot different than other bikes of the era tech-wise, but a digital aspencade is a different animal that I would not want to troubleshoot if it was not working. Anyone looking to get into a Wing should be very aware that there is a big difference between the two.

What do you mean by the digital being harder to troubleshoot? My 86 is digital and I haven’t noticed anything, but haven’t had to troubleshoot any dash stuff aside from my Speedo going out, which was the fault of the sender down on the axle

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Watertown isn't that far from me, but I really don't like the idea of trying to get a non-running wing onto my trailer.

They're around 600lbs full dress, two can do it with ease. The CoG is extremely low and they actually extremely difficult to drop....and if they do they have crash bars from the factory. I'm far more likely to drop my VFR or WR.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What do you mean by the digital being harder to troubleshoot? My 86 is digital and I haven’t noticed anything, but haven’t had to troubleshoot any dash stuff aside from my Speedo going out, which was the fault of the sender down on the axle

For me it's just that I understand mechanical more than electronic, especially when it comes to 80's tech. Having not owned a digital Wing I don't have any firsthand experience with their dashes but from everything I've heard they are solid. It's just that when it does break you're busting out the multimeter which for me is much more frustrating than any other type of motorcycle maintenance that involves moving parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, that way. Yeah the dash is probably all one ridiculous 80’s PCB, but the upside is it has no moving parts so short of some pretty serious stuff happening it should be fine.

The nice part is that digital dash is all driven by analog stuff. The speedo runs off a regular Hall effect sensor, the tach I assume is just a feed off the CDI box and the gear indicator is, as far as I can tell, a literal set of switches in the transmission, since the gear indicator will read correctly if you shift gears while not moving.

I guess I’ll say the digital dash wouldn’t turn me away from the bike but I get what you’re saying.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, that way. Yeah the dash is probably all one ridiculous 80’s PCB, but the upside is it has no moving parts so short of some pretty serious stuff happening it should be fine.

The nice part is that digital dash is all driven by analog stuff. The speedo runs off a regular Hall effect sensor, the tach I assume is just a feed off the CDI box and the gear indicator is, as far as I can tell, a literal set of switches in the transmission, since the gear indicator will read correctly if you shift gears while not moving.

I guess I’ll say the digital dash wouldn’t turn me away from the bike but I get what you’re saying.

Yeah not a dealbreaker, and if it's all working at the time of purchase probably worth the potential headaches. That design doesn't sound too bad, as long as it doesn't have the 90's dashes that have a floppy plastic "circuit board" that shrinks and cracks. Once those go, the whole thing is done.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Some good ads on used wings in my area! And they all have SUPER low miles, like in the 20k range.

A nice 90s one, a decent 2000s one here and there. The 90s one has a goddamn cigarette lighter. Just pop in my tape of Somewhere in Time and twist that throttle.

e: otoh lots of people selling their green-and-purple ZRX 1200s for pretty cheap

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would start smoking just to use the cigarette lighter on a Goldwing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

e: otoh lots of people selling their green-and-purple ZRX 1200s for pretty cheap

do it do it do it do it do it

(judging by the userbase on zrxoa, if you buy one let it sit for a week to allow the virus to die back)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

First of all, I've never seen a green and purple zrx1200. Just the 1100.

Second of all, where and what is "cheap". It's a bucket list bike for sure.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Tell me also about cheap ZRXs please

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

First of all, I've never seen a green and purple zrx1200. Just the 1100.

Going off the color chart on zrxoa:

1999: ZRX1100, Green, white stripe over purple
2000: ZRX1100, Green, purple stripe over white. Also available in black.
2001: ZRX1200 from now on, Green, white stripe over purple. Also available in black.
2002: Green, tank has purple over white, fairing and tail has white over purple. Yeah I don't know either. Also avail in red.
2003: Green, white over black. Also avail in blue.
2004: Available in red or silver, no green this year.
2005: Green, white over dark blue.

They don't post color charts for the 97-98 1100s or post-05 12s, or the fuel-injected DAEGs. Probably because the Rex wasn't sold in the States then.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm currently defining "cheap" as "under five grand"

So not exactly pregen ninjette prices.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Even in a high priced bike state, they've been under 5k for a while my guy. I saw one for $2500 that I passed on the other year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't compare pre-pandemic prices and current prices. It's a whole new ballgame

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/277511506919022/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That owns

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
God, I want to buy this but I also don't want to die.

For sale by a former coworker of mine. B-King, 1440cc big bore, modded head, higher comp pistons, hotter cams, full Busa exhaust, PC3. 215 rwhp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo. That is ALOT of bike. I’m shocked it doesn’t have an extended swingarm because it for sure doesn’t have wheelie control.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
hell yeah bking is the drat answer

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo. That is ALOT of bike. I’m shocked it doesn’t have an extended swingarm because it for sure doesn’t have wheelie control.

They're long enough and heavy enough it's not really an issue - I down geared the poo poo out of mine, never accidentally lifted the front. Do it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But.........did yours make two hundred and fifteen entire whole rear end horses?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What info I can find tells me a stock one puts out about 160 on the rear wheel.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

But.........did yours make two hundred and fifteen entire whole rear end horses?

186, I think at the wheel? Full yoshi system, woolich tune, launch control and quickshifter. Did a couple track days, commuted daily and big road trips - great bikes and a predictable steam train engine., Heavy but extremely stable and rideable. Edit: it's just an upright gen2 busa engine in a better frame - if you can get that modded one cheapish from your co-worker, I'd have no second thoughts.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 10, 2020

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I found a running 1984 Honda 700sc listed for $800, guy will go as low as $500. Is there a good place to look up these bikes for known issues to be ware of when I go see it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That seat has some issues.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Perfect candidate for a cafe racer build. Throw the seat in the trash and get out the angle grinder.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paint it green and try and infiltrate a ZRX meet

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

God, I want to buy this but I also don't want to die.

For sale by a former coworker of mine. B-King, 1440cc big bore, modded head, higher comp pistons, hotter cams, full Busa exhaust, PC3. 215 rwhp.

Sold in two days, for more than asking price. At least I didn't even have time to vacillate about it.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Stitecin posted:

I found a running 1984 Honda 700sc listed for $800, guy will go as low as $500. Is there a good place to look up these bikes for known issues to be ware of when I go see it?

I have an '85. It's a shaft drive Honda: there isn't much that can go wrong with it outside of general wear-and-tear.

Know that it's a bike that was only made for 3 years, so bit of a unicorn (with the parts supply issues that entails for a 36-year-old bike), and that it's not a modern bike. It is big, it is heavy, and the front end will always be a little bit poo poo.

I bought one with 40,000 miles on it for $1400 in 2016. They'll do 80,000 miles with just basic maintenance according to the motorcycle mechanic I talked to. $500 is a steal, $800 is still great, esp. given the current climate.

If any of the dials are broken in the head unit, you're looking at either ebay or aftermarket to replace the whole thing, and that's a mess. The dial pointers are lovely plastic that ages poorly in the sun, and they tend to break.

As for other problems I didn't cause myself... starter needed rebuilding? Guess that's a wear part though.

Oh: the muffler is a non-rebuildable type, and NOS replacements aren't available. It's likely to be loud from the baffling rotting out, and sorting that is going to involve an aftermarket muffler, changing the carbs, and a competent mechanic. Thankfully I live in the land of Harley, and everyone assumes motorcycles are supposed to be this loud.

Oh yeah: old Harley guys will hate you for having this bike, and a surprising number of middle-aged guys will stop you at gas stations to tell you about how much they loved the one they had when they were 18.

Oh, and there's no RPM limiter, and the engine climbs FAST past 8500 RPM, especially in 1st and 2nd. Don't pop the engine.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

Some good ads on used wings in my area! And they all have SUPER low miles, like in the 20k range.

A nice 90s one, a decent 2000s one here and there. The 90s one has a goddamn cigarette lighter. Just pop in my tape of Somewhere in Time and twist that throttle.

Tell me more about these cheap old wings in the Chicago area!

I just went for a test ride on a nice 1981 GL1100 last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They're great bikes. Congrats on your purchase