Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone know where the latest place is for buying/selling bourbon (and other whiskey) on the secondary market? I am mostly curious about what some old bottles are going for these days.

It used to all just be on Facebook but those groups (and their successor groups) were shut down months/years ago.

Same, tbh. I live in the twin cities and there are a few bottles I keep reading about that I never see and would honestly pay secondary just to see if I like them. 2020 isn't really the time for me to experiment at whiskey bars if I'm being honest. I still don't want to venture to places like that in a pandemic. Some if the bourbon YT channels I watch mention secondary prices but the ones I find on sites seem well above those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm in two different state groups via Facebook which are sub-groups of the main state bourbon groups. They all have dumb names like MFER so it's not obvious. I'm also on a national group that has their own webpage and login. I know some of the other big national groups are still around on Facebook but split up into smaller factions to avoid detection. I never cared that much to track where they went but they're still there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Facebook is a cesspool of hate and stupidity, why do they care about whiskey trading?

It wouldn't surprise me if BT hadn't cut bourbon production a little bit since it's probably more profitable to make booze for other people. They certainly have facilities to turn out a shitload of BT bourbon if they wanted. I meant it's good, but it's not that good that they should be sold out constantly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Join me and experiment with rum. $26 for a bottle of Doorly's 12 is a bargain.

Maybe I'll try to get in to scotch next, although it looks like prices may have gone up with the tariffs.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Join me and experiment with rum. $26 for a bottle of Doorly's 12 is a bargain.

Maybe I'll try to get in to scotch next, although it looks like prices may have gone up with the tariffs.

It doesn't help that PA is a liquor control state, and that there are supply chain issues for things like glass. Also, looks like Islay distilleries bottle on main land Scotland https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/scotland-whisky-islands-covid/index.html making the delays worse.

Buy what you can find? Also, you can ship to home from PA's site, but the inventory is really hosed up on some things.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Alarbus posted:

It doesn't help that PA is a liquor control state, and that there are supply chain issues for things like glass. Also, looks like Islay distilleries bottle on main land Scotland https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/scotland-whisky-islands-covid/index.html making the delays worse.

Buy what you can find? Also, you can ship to home from PA's site, but the inventory is really hosed up on some things.
I'll be honest, I can't complain too much because PA hasn't been price gouging us if you can find something. My biggest complaint is that they sell ultra rare bottles unannouced (I assume some special people know) with a two bottle limit. Stagg Jr showed up on the site at 12:34pm at 424 bottles with the 2 bottle limit and it was sold out 5 minutes later. They're updating the website, which I was told is the cause of most of the problems.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I'll be honest, I can't complain too much because PA hasn't been price gouging us if you can find something. My biggest complaint is that they sell ultra rare bottles unannouced (I assume some special people know) with a two bottle limit. Stagg Jr showed up on the site at 12:34pm at 424 bottles with the 2 bottle limit and it was sold out 5 minutes later. They're updating the website, which I was told is the cause of most of the problems.

They also mysteriously held onto last year's batch of Stagg Jr. I think the random drops selling out fast is through people scraping the site with bots.

I don't mind the lottery system all that much, when they did that before, I have a 2018 and 2019 Stagg that I was able to buy at msrp. There are certainly trade offs.

What I do mind is the random exclusions from selection, and slow time to add new things. Want Bunnahabhain or Bruichladdich? Go out of state. Want Ardbeg Wee Beastie? It's been coming soon for like eight months. And due to covid, I didn't travel to South Carolina this year to stock up on non-PA things. :(

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone want to give me some bourbon recommendations? Eagle Rare had been my staple for a few years, but a couple of months ago I tried a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve and was really pleased with it. I’ve had a few of the same since, but I often can’t find it in store (and Knob Creek’s labeling makes it kind of confusing to tell if it’s actually the right stuff- it should be 120 proof.)

I enjoy how well it stands up in a drink (likely due in part to the high proof,) and what a deep, oaky flavor it has while still retaining its sweetness and being smooth enough to sip straight.

I guess what I’m looking for is another “big” bourbon with character and backbone. I’ve had all the small batches people like to recommend (Four Roses, Elijah Craig et al) and just found them dull and interchangeable.

I’d love to know any similar brands that can be had for $50 or less. New England area if it makes a difference.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 23, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There are bourbon recs in the OP, might check those out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Unfortunately, the only thing I’ve ever seen in a store on the $40+ range of that list is Woodford Reserve. I quite like that straight but find that it gets lost in a cocktail. I have been curious about the Woodford double oaked, though.

Edit: what’s the story with Jefferson’s? I’ve always just kind of swerved it because their “aged at sea” thing seemed like a gimmick.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone want to give me some bourbon recommendations? Eagle Rare had been my staple for a few years, but a couple of months ago I tried a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve and was really pleased with it. I’ve had a few of the same since, but I often can’t find it in store (and Knob Creek’s labeling makes it kind of confusing to tell if it’s actually the right stuff- it should be 120 proof.)

I enjoy how well it stands up in a drink (likely due in part to the high proof,) and what a deep, oaky flavor it has while still retaining its sweetness and being smooth enough to sip straight.

I guess what I’m looking for is another “big it” bourbon with character and backbone. I’ve had all the small batches people like to recommend (Four Roses, Elijah Craig et al) and just found them dull and interchangeable.

I’d love to know any similar brands that can be had for $50 or less. New England area if it makes a difference.

$50 or less is challenging in that space (even knob creek single barrel is often $55)
You probably want to be looking for Barrel Proof stuff if you want big bold flavors

At the minimum look for something 100 proof. Any bottled in bond expression, for example

Wild Turkey Rare Breed should probably be your next move that's like $40ish

Thread favorite Old Forester 1920 is $60ish
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at $60-70
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel is $55 too I think

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Unfortunately, the only thing I’ve ever seen in a store on the $40+ range of that list is Woodford Reserve. I quite like that straight but find that it gets lost in a cocktail. I have been curious about the Woodford double oaked, though.

Edit: what’s the story with Jefferson’s? I’ve always just kind of swerved it because their “aged at sea” thing seemed like a gimmick.

All the trendy new bourbon I've tasted lacked depth and IMO costs about 3x what it's worth, so I stick with main distilleries. What whiskys have you tried outside bourbon? Irish, Scotch, Rye, Tennessee ...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

wormil posted:

All the trendy new bourbon I've tasted lacked depth and IMO costs about 3x what it's worth, so I stick with main distilleries. What whiskys have you tried outside bourbon? Irish, Scotch, Rye, Tennessee ...

I drink a fair amount of rye, mainly Rittenhouse which is my cocktail staple. Never tried Irish or Tennessee whiskey. Generally not a fan of scotch- I don’t much care for the floral flavors that have been present in those I’ve tried. I keep a bottle of Japanese whiskey around for when I want something lighter and more delicate, but that’s a rare mood.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I really like Dickle rye if you can find it. Not a bourbon I know, but it's definitely a rye I keep in rotation.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

New Riff rye is my go to these days for drinking neat.

If you don't like the floral part of scotch, give an Islay peated one a try perhaps.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Writers Tears Double Oak is real good. My goodness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I drink a fair amount of rye, mainly Rittenhouse which is my cocktail staple. Never tried Irish or Tennessee whiskey. Generally not a fan of scotch- I don’t much care for the floral flavors that have been present in those I’ve tried. I keep a bottle of Japanese whiskey around for when I want something lighter and more delicate, but that’s a rare mood.

You want something bold for a cocktail right, maybe you could look into more complex flavor combinations rather than going for more expensive whiskey. I don't like to go cheap but $25-30 is my ceiling for a cocktail bourbon or rye. Is this for old fashioneds or something else?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I drink a lot of old fashioneds, yeah. I also often drink a variation of a bourbon sidecar. That’s mainly why I was asking about a bourbon with a lot of body that stands up in a drink; anything expensive will just blend into a more complex drink anyhow, I understand that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Got a bottle of michters rye single barrel, enjoying it so far. I don't think there's actually that much rye in it, it's more peppery than spicy but enjoyable none the less.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Have you tried Wild Turkey 101?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Not yet!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I picked up a bottle of Weller 12 for about $30. It may just be because I went into it with low expectations and thinking it's hyped just because of its rarity, but I'm pretty blown away. It's hitting all the notes I like in wheated bourbons, plus some additional funkiness I'm having trouble putting my finger on, without being too high proof to enjoy every day. I'm going to have a hard time rationing this.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's up with Laphroaig Select and why is it cheaper than the 10? It seems like it gets a bit fancier with the different woods while being overall aged less years, yes? I think I can take that tradeoff to at least try it.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I really enjoy lots of varieties of Laphroaig but I found the Select woefully inadequate compared to the 10. Select is the entry-level / budget line and to me, it tastes like it as well. The 10 isn't that much more expensive, and definitely worth the extra few quid.

If you like Laphroaig and you want something a bit different, then I'd recommend the Quarter Cask, which is a very smooth, very drinkable dram and you can usually find it for a similar price. (Of course, you may have had it already!)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is Weller 107 Store Pick worth picking up at $70? My local store got a couple cases but I don't think I've ever paid for than $45 for bourbon

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
If it's from a store with a good reputation for picks, I'd do it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a couple Glencairns from Bed Bath & Beyond so the should be legit but the rims are slightly uneven. Is this normal?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

All the better to nose gently caress that old rear end barley juice.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

All the better to nose gently caress that old rear end barley juice.

Mods?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Virginia ABC is going to have a few bottles first come first serve in early November.

* Elijah Craig 18 Year Bourbon
* Weller Full Proof Bourbon
* E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon
* E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel Bourbo

From what I can tell, only the 18 year is insanely priced.

Any recommendations? 4 roses small batch is currently my go to but I also like WT101. I like BT but I don’t think it’s worth chasing down around here.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Weller Full Proof and EHT barrel proof are the chasers in that selection

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Weller Full Proof and EHT barrel proof are the chasers in that selection

What do you think is a decent price for either of them?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

nwin posted:

What do you think is a decent price for either of them?

Msrp is $50 (wfp) and $75 (eht) I think but under $100 is a good price for either

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a couple Glencairns from Bed Bath & Beyond so the should be legit but the rims are slightly uneven. Is this normal?
Finished up my Glenmorangie 18 and the Glencairn doesn’t nose anywhere near as well as the wine glasses I’ve been using since I broke my Glencairn a month ago.

Like with champagne, we should be using wine glasses for everything.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

Is Weller 107 Store Pick worth picking up at $70? My local store got a couple cases but I don't think I've ever paid for than $45 for bourbon

That's pretty rough. Just two years ago I was still getting Eagle Rare store picks for $35. I think I would go as high as maybe $50 personally for a Weller 107 pick but it's really a question of how much you like the stuff and how much disposable income you're fine with lighting on fire.

If you're a big Weller fan with deep pockets that's probably a solid buy just to give it a try.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

Virginia ABC is going to have a few bottles first come first serve in early November.

* Elijah Craig 18 Year Bourbon
* Weller Full Proof Bourbon
* E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof Bourbon
* E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel Bourbo

From what I can tell, only the 18 year is insanely priced.

Any recommendations? 4 roses small batch is currently my go to but I also like WT101. I like BT but I don’t think it’s worth chasing down around here.
Oh a related note, anything on sale this month that you’d recommend? I generally prefer peat and smoke and my go-to is Lagavulin 16–I go into DC and Schneider’s has it for $80. For American whiskeys I’m happy with Bulleit Rye even if it’s nothing special.

Ardbeg 10 seems to have the largest percentage discount and I’m happy to pick up another bottle for $49. I would also consider Oban 14 and Talisker 10 for some variety but they’re still $80 and $60 so only $5 off.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I generally drink nicer irishes and bourbon straight or rocks, but I always try and keep a cheap (well, cheap for Australia - $40au is about as little as you can pay for a bottle of spirits here) bottle of whiskey for soda water highballs, my preferred knock off or weekend daytime drinks. Usually tullamore dew, hogs, dickels or even jack if it's on sale for 30ish. On a whim I picked up a bottle of seagrams vo. What gives? With soda water it tastes like vodka and sprite lol, hardly any whiskey notes at all. It's refreshing and gets me drunk, but I don't really understand, is it a Canadian whiskey thing or is it one of those 'legally couldn't be called whiskey in most jurisdictions' cheapo deals?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Curious where people are getting Advent calendars from this year.......

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How do store picks work? Do they send someone to sample a barrel (seems unlikely) and purchase accordingly or something? I guess what I'm wondering is why would a store pick bottle be any different from the regular product?