Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Barry Foster posted:

Same. I'm so angry I don't know what to do with myself

I chucked some money into Corbyn's legal fund, and a lot of other people had the same idea apparently. It was peanuts, but felt better than doing absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm considering an emotional-support pug.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Just the “trans issue"?

Countdown until it's extended to cover the “gay issue" and the “bi issue".

I reckon the 'gay issue' is safe, it's too settled. But by god are there people who are still drastically against people who are bi. They just keep it slightly under the surface, for now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh cool, just back to the "bi people are greedy"/"bi people are secret gays" days then :geno:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Homosexuality is useful to them as long as it can be used to attack trans people.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

You do understand. Let it crack/ping you, and lead you to radicalisation rather than despair
I really tried to, but goddammit is it hard not to despair with both this and the added bullshit of Covid. Back in March we actually thought we might see riots when the public realises how many lives are going to be lost due to tories mishandling the situation so badly, that this might be the final catalyst for change... instead people ended up putting more energy into clapping from their porches, painting twee rainbows, patting themselves on their backs and calling it a day. Meanwhile the underfunding of public services remains a major problem that is not getting anywhere near enough attention, and that most people don't even realise is a problem until they come face-to-face with it whether via NHS, CJS etc., and then get shocked at just how broken it is, and in how many ways.

I actually ended up stuck abroad for a few months due to travel restrictions, and it was surreal watching all this from the distance, b/c the country I was at managed to introduce national lockdown on time and so had its first wave done and dusted with 20 times fewer deaths (after having accounted for differences in population levels) by the end of May. Obvs they were handling the situation with varying levels of success seeing as it's unprecedented, but at least seemed to have correct priorities like immediately planning for implementing things like pay rises for health workers, financial support for those about to lose incomes etc. Even ended up with a surplus of tests at one point so for some time literally anyone could get one booked. And that's a post-Soviet country with only a fraction of the wealth and resources available for the UK. Whereas at the time UK could still only afford testing people with symptoms severe enough as to be in hospitals, while the leadership was more concerned with keeping the economy going and not restricting the inborn British right to attend pubs.

Honestly, only came back here 'cause I'd started a salaried job this year so I felt obliged to come back to it, but this is starting to seem like more and more of a stupid decision with each day that goes by.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

I reckon the 'gay issue' is safe, it's too settled. But by god are there people who are still drastically against people who are bi. They just keep it slightly under the surface, for now.

It'll be trans people. Following the groundwork led by noted Tory thinker Robert Galbraith.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nilbop posted:

It'll be trans people. Following the groundwork led by noted Tory thinker Robert Galbraith.

Oh, 100%. But then bi people because:

OwlFancier posted:

Homosexuality is useful to them as long as it can be used to attack trans people.

This follows easily onto bi people "why can't they just be gay or straight, why do they have to be greedy, people are gay or straight, they just don't know what they want".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I really tried to, but goddammit is it hard not to despair with both this and the added bullshit of Covid. Back in March we actually thought we might see riots when the public realises how many lives are going to be lost due to tories mishandling the situation so badly, that this might be the final catalyst for change... instead people ended up putting more energy into clapping from their porches, painting twee rainbows, patting themselves on their backs and calling it a day. Meanwhile the underfunding of public services remains a major problem that is not getting anywhere near enough attention, and that most people don't even realise is a problem until they come face-to-face with it whether via NHS, CJS etc., and then get shocked at just how broken it is, and in how many ways.

I actually ended up stuck abroad for a few months due to travel restrictions, and it was surreal watching all this from the distance, b/c the country I was at managed to introduce national lockdown on time and so had its first wave done and dusted with 20 times fewer deaths (after having accounted for differences in population levels) by the end of May. Obvs they were handling the situation with varying levels of success seeing as it's unprecedented, but at least seemed to have correct priorities like immediately planning for implementing things like pay rises for health workers, financial support for those about to lose incomes etc. Even ended up with a surplus of tests at one point so for some time literally anyone could get one booked. And that's a post-Soviet country with only a fraction of the wealth and resources available for the UK. Whereas at the time UK could still only afford testing people with symptoms severe enough as to be in hospitals, while the leadership was more concerned with keeping the economy going and not restricting the inborn British right to attend pubs.

Honestly, only came back here 'cause I'd started a salaried job this year so I felt obliged to come back to it, but this is starting to seem like more and more of a stupid decision with each day that goes by.

Yeah, see - all of that is still fishing around - stuff your host country did well, stuff we hosed up entirely - is still fishing around for hope from the british state.

All of those things that are shite and garbage - let them lead you to further radicalisation rather than despair

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure where you go that is more radical than wishing for the death of everyone on the planet. Unless you want to try and wipe out all traces of life on venus as well.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

It's a case of skimming along the despair line, not dipping too far below but also realising that it's gonna happen eventually and that actual hope is for liberals, right-wingers and morons

I think it's, like, existentialism or something

Embrace despair.

Realize it doesn't change anything either.

Despair about your despair.

Until you realize there is doing, and there is hoping.

I can not change the world. That doesn't mean there aren't people I can help.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Embrace despair.

Realize it doesn't change anything either.

Despair about your despair.

Until you realize there is doing, and there is hoping.

I can not change the world. That doesn't mean there aren't people I can help.

Wisdom, and the correct response to everything, ever.

Sorry.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just disgraceful they'd get another antisemite on to parrot the corbyn line on this. How do I know he's antisemitic, well two things:
1. left wing
2. stood on same platform as corbyn

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've been dipping into a depressive episode, and tonight I drank too much and it's made it worse.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I've been dipping into a depressive episode, and tonight I drank too much and it's made it worse.

just be like me and be depressed all the time because you switched job right before a pandemic and a global recession and now your entire life is a joke.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Emotional-support pug.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Red Oktober posted:

Oh, 100%. But then bi people because:

This follows easily onto bi people "why can't they just be gay or straight, why do they have to be greedy, people are gay or straight, they just don't know what they want".

Isn't it a wonderful time to have just figured out you're bi and non-binary.

Well loving done me.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Sorry to hear this man. This is the first night I've been sober in about a fortnight, so you're not alone. Nothing anyone can say will really help, but hope you feel a little better tomorrow. Do yourself a favour and neck at least a pint of water before bed, and have one by the side of the bed too. Maybe even two.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

just be like me and be depressed all the time because you switched job right before a pandemic and a global recession and now your entire life is a joke.

I can't stress enough how my life is the kind of thing people on old timey sitcoms would look down on and say 'lol', I'm - by any 'reasonable' metric a hilarious joke.

Long term unemployed academic, so yo soy uno saco de mierda

Jakabite posted:

Sorry to hear this man. This is the first night I've been sober in about a fortnight, so you're not alone. Nothing anyone can say will really help, but hope you feel a little better tomorrow. Do yourself a favour and neck at least a pint of water before bed, and have one by the side of the bed too. Maybe even two.

Cheers, man. I'm going from booze to water and weed.

Sorry, I do feel I've divebombed on this thread with misery. It's been a poo poo day for everyone. Please take care, I really do love y'all. Slainte

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would give you a hug if I could, Barry. Also going to venture that you are not the thing making people miserable at the moment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I would give you a hug if I could, Barry. Also going to venture that you are not the thing making people miserable at the moment.

Same. Keep safe Barry.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah this too.

I'm finding motivation more and more evaporating as the job I was hired to do more or less doesn't exist any more and the org struggles to find work for me to do whilst everyone else is worked off their feet, because I don't have frontline skills and am trapped at home by shielding.

I'm kinda glad I'm not able to talk to people in person at the moment because I think my voice would quickly get so high pitched with panic that only dogs could hear me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Josef bugman posted:

Same. Keep safe Barry.

All love to you both.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah this too.

I'm finding motivation more and more evaporating as the job I was hired to do more or less doesn't exist any more and the org struggles to find work for me to do whilst everyone else is worked off their feet, because I don't have frontline skills and am trapped at home by shielding.

I'm kinda glad I'm not able to talk to people in person at the moment because I think my voice would quickly get so high pitched with panic that only dogs could hear me.

And to you.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Angepain posted:

yikes

love to be an "issue"

Today: You can celebrate the rights you have, but don't you dare protest about the ones you're denied.
5 years time: Now we go to a special broadcast from inside St Paul's cathedral, where along with other married couples you too can be part of England's pride celebrations.

Almost didn't check in here tonight because I knew it'd be on a downer, and I'm hurting too. I ragecancelled my membership earlier. 5 years of optimism, 2 campaigns, doorstepping on rainy nights. For gently caress's sake.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

stev posted:

I've settled on a large whiskey.

It's really, really hard not to fall onto despair, especially when everyone around you is happily eating this poo poo up.
Been rum and coke for me.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, see - all of that is still fishing around - stuff your host country did well, stuff we hosed up entirely - is still fishing around for hope from the british state.

All of those things that are shite and garbage - let them lead you to further radicalisation rather than despair
Nah, I had no hope in the current british state to begin with, it's the brit population I keep losing my hope in, repeatedly.

On the plus side, some of the most radical people I've met work in public service and are doing their best to change the system from within and/or, failing that, try and find more productive/efficient ways of bringing positive change and helping people, so there's that for a sliver of light.

Red Oktober posted:

Having met people who write for these papers - maybe? Like some of them might be true believers but the writers I've met for the mail and the sun are smart - smarter than the telegraph and times ones. They're just aware they're writing to a very specific audience, and someone who had moved from telegraph to the mail said the mail was much, much harder because they really have to 'write down' to their audience. I don't know that [m]any of them actually believe what they write.
Bit of a blast from the past as thankfully it's been a while since I've seen him in any media, but that kinda reminds me of the impression I came away with when I had the displeasure of listening to an unedited interview from Milo circa gamergate - chatting to the interviewer between the takes he'd actually sound personable and able to hold a completely normal conversation; whenever interview was back on, he'd flip straight into usual bullshitting mode, hot takes mile-a-minute, and you could almost hear a nudge and a wink while he was at it. Which honestly just made it more disturbing 'cause it didn't sound like he believed any of it but he was both smart enough to identify and exploit a profitable niche and sociopathic enough to give zero fucks about how much harm his speeches could potentially cause, as long as he could make a career out of it. I actually think true believers are somewhat lesser evils 'cause at least with them there's a chance, however slim, that they may at some point change their beliefs if the stars aligned.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

Sorry, I do feel I've divebombed on this thread with misery. It's been a poo poo day for everyone. Please take care, I really do love y'all. Slainte

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I actually think true believers are somewhat lesser evils 'cause at least with them there's a chance, however slim, that they may at some point change their beliefs if the stars aligned.
I think it's inconsequential, because even the people who can console themselves that they're only doing it ironically, that they're just playing a bad person, that they're doing it for the money or that they're doing it for yucks - the end result is that they still get up in the morning, look themselves in the mirror and decide to make the world a worse place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/boardofdeputies/status/1321956939769806848?s=21

Dear lord.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lovely birdies.

Big hugs to all who need it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't it a wonderful time to have just figured out you're bi and non-binary.

Well loving done me.

On the plus side, you're not alone. Welcome to the club buddy <3

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've been out for a year or so on the former and maybe 6 months on the latter.

Timing is my strong suit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

On the plus side, you're not alone. Welcome to the club buddy <3
I too am entering a fantastic time to realise my gender is not entirely what I thought it was. Wonderful to have the burgeoning online support networks poisoned by authors just concerned about the kids, and ex comedy writers shrieking at the thought of genitals.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just a reminder to everyone that news is objectively bad for your mental health, it's designed to make you angry, and reading about things you can't change is corrosive mind-poison.

So if you're feeling low, stay off Twitter, stay off the news sites, stay off news channels. Take a break from this thread.

Do whatever else you want, just take a break from the relentless drone of 24 hour news.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

jabby posted:

Just a reminder to everyone that news is objectively bad for your mental health, it's designed to make you angry,

IT IS WORKING

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nilbop posted:

IT IS WORKING

If it makes you feel any better gammons don't enjoy the news any more than we do. They read about floods of asylum seekers, kids being turned transgender, and Boris ruining the economy and letting nursing home residents die alone because he locked down the country over the flu. The news makes everybody angry, because provoking an emotional reaction keeps people watching/reading.

The news is like alcohol and drugs, it has a few uses but is generally quite a severe threat to your well-being. Whoever in the thread is feeling low, I am very serious about turning it off for a couple of days, and generally trying to limit consumption.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jabby posted:

Just a reminder to everyone that news is objectively bad for your mental health, it's designed to make you angry, and reading about things you can't change is corrosive mind-poison.

So if you're feeling low, stay off Twitter, stay off the news sites, stay off news channels. Take a break from this thread.

Do whatever else you want, just take a break from the relentless drone of 24 hour news.

Seconded.

I try to take a very full 24 hours ever week completely offline and 48 hours every 2 weeks (that would be for example close down on Friday late evening (might be 2am Saturday!) and don't put machines on again until Monday middayish. I also deliberately try to avoid the newspaper racks in any shop I might be in.

Can't always do it, but I know when I've been off 48 hours, I have a certain reluctance to go on again! A couple of weeks ago I took 72 hours off.

My main phone is non-smart so I just message my sister to say if she needs to get hold of me it will have to be old-fashioned text not whatsapp or fb messenger etc.

It is definitely good for mental health and I can be blissfully unaware of any world shattering events for those couple of days. (I figure if it is THAT world shattering someone will let me know!)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You're a good egg, jabby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also generally avoid the news (and spent most of yesterday morning painting chairs, which was much more productive) so I would tend to agree with jabby on this one.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I genuinely wish I was able to unplug myself from the news like some of you. But it’s just impossible for me- I know that even if I don’t see it happening, things are still getting shittier and people I care about are hurting while this shithole nation cheerfully goosesteps into fascism.

I spent this evening playing D&D and picked up my bass for the first time in months, and even two of my favourite things couldn’t keep my mind off it all. I don’t know whether this is a mental health thing, or if everyone is just the same but it’s driving me loving mad.

It’s also making me think things that frankly disgust me, unbidden. I’m genuinely worrying that I’m becoming a worse person as a result of this unending torrent of poo poo and lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got to say, daring to look at the Guardian before I go to bed, it’s not exactly effusive with praise about this whole thing. The main headline is about how the party is in turmoil and the main editorial seems to imply the suspension was an overreaction.

Now obviously, in reality this suspension is insane but considering we’re talking about the newspaper that basically turned the words “Corbyn” and “antisemitism” in a headline into their own version of the Express’ Diana obsession, it’s pretty shocking. I think Keir might have massively overplayed his hand here.