Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is that from Black Book by Verhoeven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

habeasdorkus posted:

Is that from Black Book by Verhoeven?

"And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and See.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him"

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I forget: do we know anything about the population dynamics of magical girls in the SD city? in particular, how many people are magical girls? it seems like a relatively small number, maybe less than one in a hundred girls of the appropriate age, but has it ever been stated?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

a computing pun posted:

I forget: do we know anything about the population dynamics of magical girls in the SD city? in particular, how many people are magical girls? it seems like a relatively small number, maybe less than one in a hundred girls of the appropriate age, but has it ever been stated?

No, and Mary is rather cagey about putting numbers to anything in the comic. I think she's wary of people mathsing together off-hand comments to pick holes in the plot.

They're definitely not common, though. My guess is around 1%.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

No, and Mary is rather cagey about putting numbers to anything in the comic. I think she's wary of people mathsing together off-hand comments to pick holes in the plot.

They're definitely not common, though. My guess is around 1%.

Yeah it's one of those things where all the questions like that are probably just "enough"

how big is the city? ...enough to support industry, production, transit, a wide assortment of establishing shots
how long has this situation been in place? ....enough for it to be a normal factor of everyone's life!
how many magical girls are there? ....enough of them (goops voice: too many of them)

Which I don't blame her for because that's a lot of in the weeds minutia that's probably real easy to mess up

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

a computing pun posted:

If I remember right, Word of God on total magical girl numbers is 'definitely between 100 and 10,000'.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There's like twenty normal people and we've seen most of them already. All of the rest citizens are magical girls.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
About 6% of the US population is girls age 10-19. If one percent of eligible girls get the dream, that is .06 percent of the population having magic. If it's one percent of the population at large having magics, that is one in six girls getting the dream.

What's interesting to me is how the latter situation emphasizes how disproportionately young girls bear the burden. The chance of getting the dream could be pretty high and still there might not be very many magical girls overall.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
New Page

Why does it sound like Undine and the Workout Club are about to threaten Zoe's family.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mary posted on Patreon that Undine wants Zoe to hear about Goops too, because she thinks Goops is loving with her, specifically, and Zoe's relatives were just caught in between.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Remind me why they've been keeping Goops secret?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They’re teenagers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

Remind me why they've been keeping Goops secret?

Initially Undine was worried she'd look crazy, or that anyone she told would try to stop her going out because of the danger. (Chapter 7)

Then when she told Kokoro, Kokoro got a threatening phone call from Goops soon after. So she had reason to believe that spreading that knowledge put her in danger. (Chapter 10)

Undine doesn't know like we do that Goops has been off targeting other people, all she has to go on is her and Kokoro's direct interactions. It's hard to blame her, especially since she doesn't even really know what it is she wants to warn people about; finding out has been a key motivator in continuing to fight at night.

Kokoro is less motivated to keep it hidden but she respects that it's Undine's secret to keep. She is ultimately the one pushing her to share.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The mouth burger attack that almost killed Kokoro was right after Undine told her and before the threatening phone call

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Importantly, the poo poo Goops said in that first moment, while Undine was lying there dying before Tessa came to save her: "Poor little girl. You wouldn't be so confused, if you hadn't forgotten. Now you'll have to die never knowing... just how much... I hate you." (link link)

I'd forgotten those lines the first time reading through, but on a reread Undine's initial reaction of "this must all be my fault somehow, I need to figure out what the hell is up with Goops before I tell anyone" is a lot easier to understand on an emotional level.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Where are the gold chains and the chest hair to go with the new tracksuits

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Where are the gold chains and the chest hair to go with the new tracksuits

One from the Discord:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tenebrais posted:

One from the Discord:

oh my god

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know anything, please explain :(

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't know anything, please explain :(

About that edit? Adidas tracksuits are a slavic stereotype. That's basically the whole joke, the text translates as what they actually said I think.

About this new page? Undine is explaining the last fifteen chapters to her friends.

Man, Vedika looks so crushed. She was probably closer to Cassidy than any of the others.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If I was Vedika I'd be way more self-conscious about my non-combat ability right now.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Vedika is also the one who got Cassidy all riled up at that particular time by telling her that Undine was hiding something. That confrontation certainly would have happened anyway, although maybe not on that particular night, but that's probably going to be hard for her to deal with anyway.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

gabby just off panel also listening to all this: drat, sounds rough

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rannum posted:

That's rough, buddy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

rannum posted:

Gabby is just mad because all of this serious talk is distracting her from her lifts.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

rannum posted:

"Oh, the Goopy girl? Lives across the street from me. Violet GilsCarbo, I think her name is?"

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Well, that checks out. Her father gave her that nickname

(I do not comment here often but I adore the adventures of magical girl city and I'm :ohdear: over what plan they'll have regarding Goopy now, and how effective it'll be.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like the "it's all my fault" club might have another member!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Permalink to the new page.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Everyone knew except Bud.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

V.. Vedika? :ohdear:

Now, did she know from the start, independently, or did she know because she accidentally took a peek into Undine's mind when they were training?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

V.. Vedika? :ohdear:

Now, did she know from the start, independently, or did she know because she accidentally took a peek into Undine's mind when they were training?

As a volunteer at a safety centre, Vedika is probably in a better position than most to hear about what threats the girls are facing outside, since she'll be encountering more of them.
On the other hand, if there were already people talking about it, you'd think Bud would have heard.

It's possible Vedika learned it from Undine or Kokoro while training, but then the consequence of the whole plot point is "Undine and Kokoro knew about Goops", which is nothing new, and "Vedika kept their secret", which isn't a big reveal or anything.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Maybe Vedika's able to read Goops's mind and picked up on it one night? It'd even give them a huge boost in actually finding her.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
vedika is goops, calling it now.

edit: they even have the same dominant colour scheme

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

a computing pun posted:

vedika is goops, calling it now.

edit: they even have the same dominant colour scheme

That used to be meme on the SD discord. Lots of photoshopping panels into making her goops.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Vedika, new page is up!

Poor girl. Bud, this is probably not the best time to be hammering her about her guilt.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of Vedika, new page is up!

Poor girl. Bud, this is probably not the best time to be hammering her about her guilt.

Relevant page: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-32

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hmm Bud isn't taking this well at all. She's used to knowing everything and has been completely blindsided. Now she's trying to get more information and pushing the guilt button at the same time.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 8, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Someone's bout to throw a chair at magical girl workout club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sad to say, I think this is the end of the workout club. We've noted before the symbols on the top of the page are Undine, Kokoro, Tessa, Zoe, and Rue. Bud, Harley, and Vedika aren't represented. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that we're about to see the whole group break up leaving only Undine, HP, and Zoe...which will bring in Rue sooner or later. And then we'll have to see what's going on with Tessa.