Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

people talk about the game because its memorable. but to pretend its not a buggy mess is to deny reality

Clearly a lot of people experience terrible issues with this game, but I've completed it multiple times across several hardware configurations (all relatively high-end) and I don't think I've ever experienced a bug I'd call game-breaking. I think the worst thing that's happened is a reaper once pushing my seamoth partly into the landscape which ended up catapulting it out of the map.

I fully accept, judging from this thread over the years, I've just been lucky, but the game is not a buggy mess for everyone.

I still can't play the VR mode due to silly UI issues. That's not really a bug, but I guess you could call it game-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Section Z posted:

I could understand it for thermal generators because even if the pre-build outline turns "Green=good!", it can still be a pretty poo poo amount of heat power if you are not building it right by a heat source or in lava land. And unless they changed something, doesn't the meter only exists after you build it fully? So stopping to check inside your ride is still less awkward than building it, seeing the meter on the generator, then dismantling it.

Right by a volcano vent or by lava, green instead of yellow.
Kinda lukewarm rather than cold, green.
Inside an alien base, green. Though that last one you should clearly know better than to trust the color coding :v:

They already make you install a compass chip, might as well let you upgrade the compass.

Honestly it is something that would only be a potential hurdle for a first time player, rather than old hands at the game. "Oh boy, I got more thermal power for my new outpost, that's always great!... Why is my power supply more strained than expected?"

Still useful that you can just immediately dismantle and relocate pretty much anything with zero fuss.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still useful that you can just immediately dismantle and relocate pretty much anything with zero fuss.

This is by far the best design decision a game like this could have made, second only to infinite storage space (or crafting from nearby containers) but there's a very simple mod for the latter. Being able to move stuff around and fiddle with positioning is excellent for a nice exploration and base-building game like this one.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Definitely should have had both of those. One of the major momentum suckers right at the end was spending some 2 hrs just packing up my base and making many, many trips relocating a base to the mouth of lost river.

The other being having to make the sub and launch pad by farming a few hrs after already having been through the game story climax.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

yook posted:

Definitely should have had both of those. One of the major momentum suckers right at the end was spending some 2 hrs just packing up my base and making many, many trips relocating a base to the mouth of lost river.

The other being having to make the sub and launch pad by farming a few hrs after already having been through the game story climax.

But just build another base. More bases. The best part of the game is plopping down bases of various sizes and functions at each area.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, my 'end game' base was mostly a cosmetic project in the glow-y tree room, it only existed to recharge batteries and run 6 desalinators as the Cyclops was practically self-suficient by that point. If it only had 2 docking bays, argh.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Some of the most fun I had in Subnautica mid-late game was building scanning stations all around the map.

I had like 5 or 6 all centered around thermal vents. Their only purpose was to restock up on food, water, battery charging and scan the area for hard to find resources.

But they were combination refuel stations and rest stops. I'd make a bench and sit by a window and just watch the environment while charging up.

I also feel like I completely missed the Sea Treaders Path and the Grand Reef. The game didn't really point me in that direction enough, kept me away with the leviathans, and I only felt forced to go to find the Degassi station.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Geodude posted:

I also feel like I completely missed the Sea Treaders Path and the Grand Reef. The game didn't really point me in that direction enough, kept me away with the leviathans, and I only felt forced to go to find the Degassi station.

that's a shame since those are the coolest places in the game imo.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I spent a LOT more time in the Koosh Forest than one really needs to, preferentially farming resources there ‘cuz it’s pretty.

The Treaders are really cool, and it would have been pretty cool to have them come up into the red-grass zones and be more of a presence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like Subnautica would be a lot better remade in an engine that knows what they're going for from the start, and can implement things like Leviathans wandering across the entire map, and maybe have more reasons to explore more of the map.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Subnautica would be better if it was remade from scratch with hindsight and more manpower to create more content?

Huh. Don’t know how no one realized this when they released 1.0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, it's not like we don't have video game remakes that are pretty much exactly that.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

BRB calling Bluepoint.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/1321945399687610369

Was not expecting that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Wonder how long.
Do I play now and again in 6 months?
Or wait a month or 2?

ITS TOO HARD!!!

e: I mean its not like Cyberpunk is coming out anytime soon.
Gotta do sumthin
Besides FO4

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

OgNar posted:

Wonder how long.
Or wait a month or 2?

ITS TOO HARD!!!

e: I mean its not like Cyberpunk is coming out anytime soon.
Gotta do sumthin
Besides FO4

I played something like 20 hours on the build before this one and the worst part of it was all the placeholder story stuff and missing voice acting. Made it feel like I was spoiling myself on the story without actually experiencing most of it. If they're at the point of "fully voiced and complete story" then it might actually be finished enough to be worth another shot.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I do a runthrough with every update.
It'll be nice to have a full voiceover, though I liked the old voice better than the newer one.
But yeah, it'll be very nice to not see placeholder or [[TBD]] on everything.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

whats the difference between early access with the story complete and some hypothetical "not early access" version of the game?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That looks promising at least, how does the beta run?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Marzzle posted:

whats the difference between early access with the story complete and some hypothetical "not early access" version of the game?

I believe that the ending to the game will not be in until the game is actually released, so while you would be able to do the story up to the ending you won't be able to actually see that ending until release. There's also probably a bunch of small stuff like minor PDA voice lines, scan data for both flora & fauna and incidental story pieces that is not in either.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

HiKaizer posted:

I believe that the ending to the game will not be in until the game is actually released, so while you would be able to do the story up to the ending you won't be able to actually see that ending until release. There's also probably a bunch of small stuff like minor PDA voice lines, scan data for both flora & fauna and incidental story pieces that is not in either.

when do they think it'll be released?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

HiKaizer posted:

There were also significant portions of the map which were still very "early access" in the build before this one, whether it was scripted events being extremely buggy (The big ice worm thing mainly) or just large stretches of featureless ocean floor. Even if the story is complete at this stage there's likely still a lot of the game world which needs to be fleshed out.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 30, 2020

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I'm having a blast muddling through this but have a question: I recently received a disquieting message from the computer warning of major environmental damage from the Aurora's impending meltdown in 24 hours. Is that an event i need to plan for, like should I be prioritizing getting in there and scavenging like mad against the clock or something? I'm currently enjoying farting around in my dippy lil base and my focus isn't on the Aurora at all, but I don't want to miss out on any critical content as a result (which would constitute some pretty lovely design decisions imo, but I understand those have not been completely nonexistent in this game's development)

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It's fun to watch the explosion from the roof of your lifepod, but otherwise no preparations are required

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The short answer is don't panic, the game is not about to lock off major content. The Aurora thing will cause you mild, temporary inconvenience.
The long answer is that the Aurora is scripted to melt down on Day 3 or thereabouts. What this means in game terms is that a large section of the east side of the map becomes irradiated, which means you take damage if you go there without a rad-suit on. This is not permanent; you can fix it by going inside the Aurora (post-explosion) and repairing the reactor. Once you do that, the radiation recedes over a day or so, and you can put your rad-suit in a closet and forget it exists.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

rivetz posted:

I'm having a blast muddling through this but have a question: I recently received a disquieting message from the computer warning of major environmental damage from the Aurora's impending meltdown in 24 hours. Is that an event i need to plan for, like should I be prioritizing getting in there and scavenging like mad against the clock or something?

The meltdown creates an irradiated zone around the Aurora, meaning you’ll have to craft a protective radiation suit if you want to explore inside or around the wreckage. This is pretty easy to do, so there’s no reason to rush. You won’t be missing out on any content.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

rivetz posted:

I'm having a blast muddling through this but have a question: I recently received a disquieting message from the computer warning of major environmental damage from the Aurora's impending meltdown in 24 hours. Is that an event i need to plan for, like should I be prioritizing getting in there and scavenging like mad against the clock or something? I'm currently enjoying farting around in my dippy lil base and my focus isn't on the Aurora at all, but I don't want to miss out on any critical content as a result (which would constitute some pretty lovely design decisions imo, but I understand those have not been completely nonexistent in this game's development)

Despite some of the dialogue implying time limits, there are none. Subnautica is very chill.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Don’t play the game before 1.0 if you want to play the complete game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Seems like we're getting close to 1.0. Time to reinstall the original and finally finish it. I've got my cyclops parked next to my base at the Ghost Tree, how long do I have left? Can I push through it in a weekend?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sure?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

By the time you've gotten down that far you're basically 90% of the way there.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Don't install it yet, my friends. Stay strong.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Seems like we're getting close to 1.0. Time to reinstall the original and finally finish it. I've got my cyclops parked next to my base at the Ghost Tree, how long do I have left? Can I push through it in a weekend?

If you have a ghost tree base, you might be able to push through in one night.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Remora posted:

If you have a ghost tree base, you might be able to push through in one night.

Dont forget they have to collect all the seeds and build the rocket too

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Good lord that's where mine has been...but I'm just waiting to go to the surface and launch. Probably never will: I can't leave my poor cuddlefish. :smith:

Take the prawn suit in the cyclops and push through the Tree Cave to the lava zone, from there you can probably speed run in an hour or so if you bring drill arm and grappling hooks.

Dyz posted:

Dont forget they have to collect all the seeds and build the rocket too

That doesn't take long to do if you use the teleporters in the final sea emperor facility because those take you to all of the locations you need. It's a lot of back and forth, but it can be done quickly.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Complications posted:

Despite some of the dialogue implying time limits, there are none. Subnautica is very chill.

To add to this, you get a few messages over the course of the game that sound really dire and urgent. They're all bullshit, there are no time limits or permanently missable content.

Maybe if you marathon it. There's quite a bit left to do, especially if your Cyclops & Prawn aren't suitably outfitted for the next level(s) down. I wouldn't rush it though, this is a game where it's better to take your time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

My main problem with Below Zero, spoilers i guess if you haven't played it yet.

I find that the snow/land areas are way too big, I can see that they wanted to add in more room for the hover bike to navigate but it is a lot of twisting tunnels and ravines with nothing really to show for it.
It feels like padding really.
My last run I completely dodged the Worm with only taking damage from it once.
I feel like most of the land area really could have been left out.

Otherwise I completely enjoy it, and to me its kind of a shorter, more fleshed out version of the original.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

OgNar posted:

My main problem with Below Zero, spoilers i guess if you haven't played it yet.

I find that the snow/land areas are way too big, I can see that they wanted to add in more room for the hover bike to navigate but it is a lot of twisting tunnels and ravines with nothing really to show for it.
It feels like padding really.
My last run I completely dodged the Worm with only taking damage from it once.
I feel like most of the land area really could have been left out.

Otherwise I completely enjoy it, and to me its kind of a shorter, more fleshed out version of the original.

From my experiences I just wish there were more dedicated landmarks for the above the ocean sections. I usually end up getting lost forever and it is a pain to get out.

That being said im gonna load up a map mod this time so that should help quite a bit.

Also RIP Seamoth, you were too good for the 4546B world.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Oh, very cool, thanks for sharing!

OgNar posted:

Wonder how long.
Or wait a month or 2?

ITS TOO HARD!!!

I feel ya, I played 20+ hours of an earlier release (just after the new intro, no voice acting) and do kind of regret it. It felt incomplete, though not incomplete enough that I wasn't getting the full experienced spoiled, and I put it down I'd guess somewhere in midgame. I'd have probably been more annoyed if I'd been playing from earlier when the plot was getting changed.

I didn't follow the original game's development and otherwise have no insider knowledge, but if I had to guess, I'd say the remaining updates will be tweaking existing zones/filling in some of those featureless blank spots, maybe adding a new mob or two and/or some behaviours of existing ones, maybe adding some new construction options or minor gameplay mechanics or something, and hopefully making the land sections more fun, as well as addressing some bugs. Stuff that I think will be cool and worth going back to experience, especially considering my slow-walk of the endgame in the original, but that if missing won't detract hugely from my experience of playing through the game right now.

From reading the recent dev notes, it sounds like the story is complete sans finale/ending (which they say they've done but are withholding until final release), with all the voice acting added in, as well as writing the encyclopedia/scanner/etc entries. With that I'd say it's on the side of "playable" for me personally, and doesn't hurt they've also updated some zones. Would be very keen to hear general, non-spoilery impressions from people - don't think I'll get a chance to pick it up anytime soon between work and getting my partner hooked on co-op Raft.

I think they were aiming to have the final version ready to launch simultaneously with the Switch port "early next year", though 2020 being what it is who knows. I'd say it's a pretty positive sign that they've got the voice recorded done in the current situation though, so I'd lean towards optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All this talk has gotten me hankering for a second playthrough. My first (mostly unspoiled) one was marred by finding the seaglide *after* the seamoth, so early game was mostly a slog followed by the overpowered nature of a fast-moving vehicle with infinite oxygen and crazy huge inventory slots. Is it worth doing some sort of gimmick run like 'no seamoth, no cylcops'? Is it even possible/viable to try and never used a vehicle (until the rocketship) and do dumb stuff like air pumps? I wanna kinda enjoy the early-game danger and prolong it into the lategame using the seaglide, if that makes sense?