Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Do we know how captured unmade effect things in Shadesmar? I was just thinking how if they threw the thrill into the ocean then really the thrill is in the middle of land in Shadesmar and how that will effect things. Or since they are captured do they show up at all? Same goes for this likely captured other unmade

Also when does Dawnshard come out? I thought it was supposed to be out this month but haven't heard anything about it?

Rhythm of War, Chapter 9 posted:

For years, they’d assumed no spren were trapped in Soulcasting devices. But with the Oathgates, Navani could travel into Shadesmar—and everything in the Physical Realm reflected there. Human beings manifested as floating candle flames. Spren manifested as larger, or more complete versions of what was seen in the Physical Realm.

Soulcasters manifested as small unresponsive spren, hovering with their eyes closed. So the Soulcasters did have a captured spren. A Radiant spren, judging by their shape. Intelligent, rather than the more animal-like spren captured to power normal fabrials.

So I assume that the Unmade powering the Thrill will likely be a (big!) unresponsive spren, like the spren powering soulcasters.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol just read in that update that dawnshard is 57k words and thus technically too long to be considered a novella

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Phone posting so I’m not looking up the names, but isn’t the new evil scientist Fused, while bad news, not the entity Leswhi was worried about? If so, I’m betting the dark gem is holding that entity and it’s an unmade that looks like an ultra fused when freed (think Shaidar Haran vs normal Fades in WoT).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Phone posting so I’m not looking up the names, but isn’t the new evil scientist Fused, while bad news, not the entity Leswhi was worried about? If so, I’m betting the dark gem is holding that entity and it’s an unmade that looks like an ultra fused when freed (think Shaidar Haran vs normal Fades in WoT).

i def think Leshwi's worries were about the new Extra Evil Biological Weapons Fused

but the way they described Ba-Ado-Mishram, as like a highprincess and commander of legions, does make her sound like more of an especially powerful fused than the animalistic forces of nature like the Thrill. and she's probably one of the most likely options for what's in the gem

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 24, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Torrannor posted:

So I assume that the Unmade powering the Thrill will likely be a (big!) unresponsive spren, like the spren powering soulcasters.

Thanks for finding the passage. The downside with reading only a chapter a week is I forget what was just mentioned a few chapters ago because its been over a month real time haha.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Even better, land and sea are reversed in Shadesmar, so there must be a gigantic unresponsive spren sitting in the middle of a huge landed area in Shadesmar :v:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

Even better, land and sea are reversed in Shadesmar, so there must be a gigantic unresponsive spren sitting in the middle of a huge landed area in Shadesmar :v:

yeah, it actually makes some sense when you think about it this way, it's effectively buried by tons of land. especially if they took some basic precaution like put it in an aluminum box first

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

yeah, it actually makes some sense when you think about it this way, it's effectively buried by tons of land. especially if they took some basic precaution like put it in an aluminum box first

I doubt they did that. Aluminum outside of an industrial society is very hard to come by, and even the guards they use on the shardblades come from meteorites. Plus, they don't understand what it really does, they just think it dulls shardblades. We know it blocks investiture, and Hoid obviously does, but it's not like the Ardents understand that stuff.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Things can be soulcast into aluminum, so I don't think they're in danger of having a limited supply.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's crazy how excited I get for Tuesdays, just waiting for my weekly fix... That said, as much as I enjoy the discussion I've mostly stopped reading this thread cause y'all are way smarter than I am at figuring poo poo out :ohdear:

I'm doing my first re-read of Mistborn Era 1 and in Well of Ascension I don't think I picked up on this the first time - Vin's earring is Bronze, which is why she can pierce Copperclouds. I knew she could because of the earring acting as a spike, but I don't think I made the connection of the specific metal itself previously. I haven't read these books in 5+ years, so I've really forgotten pretty much all of the story too. Hero of Ages spoiler maybe - Was the Lord Ruler like, mega-exposed to Ruin by having bracers piercing his skin? Or I guess he had Ruin "imprisoned" and was probably not fully exposed IIRC?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

It's crazy how excited I get for Tuesdays, just waiting for my weekly fix... That said, as much as I enjoy the discussion I've mostly stopped reading this thread cause y'all are way smarter than I am at figuring poo poo out :ohdear:

I'm doing my first re-read of Mistborn Era 1 and in Well of Ascension I don't think I picked up on this the first time - Vin's earring is Bronze, which is why she can pierce Copperclouds. I knew she could because of the earring acting as a spike, but I don't think I made the connection of the specific metal itself previously. I haven't read these books in 5+ years, so I've really forgotten pretty much all of the story too. Hero of Ages spoiler maybe - Was the Lord Ruler like, mega-exposed to Ruin by having bracers piercing his skin? Or I guess he had Ruin "imprisoned" and was probably not fully exposed IIRC?

i also just re-read these! i realized i never re-read the original series, they're still a lot of fun.

and yes, definitely, Rashek says outright in Book 3 that he could never tell whether the voices in his head were his own or Ruin's and makes strategic decisions based on "the voice in my head gets really mad when i do this, so i should do this."

although i'm not sure the amount of piercings actually mattered like the amount of spikes does, but i think the fact that he had any at all let Ruin talk to him. but it could've been some weird exception where Ruin would be affecting him regardless

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 27, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, I definitely don't remember getting any of his POV in the next book :v:

Too bad I'm gonna forget everything in WOA by the time I finish Dawnshard + RoW and then read HOA.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RoW Ch17 posted:

Family and Wit, Navani thought as the lanky man, dressed all in black, walked over to fetch some wine. She couldn’t tell if the rumors about those two were true or not, and hadn’t felt comfortable asking.

Now there's a ship I don't think anyone would have ever predicted :staredog:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Now there's a ship I don't think anyone would have ever predicted :staredog:

lol that is sanderson trolling the fandom if i have ever seen it

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

eke out posted:

although i'm not sure the amount of piercings actually mattered like the amount of spikes does, but i think the fact that he had any at all let Ruin talk to him. but it could've been some weird exception where Ruin would be affecting him regardless

This is a canon yes since Marsh was so spiked up that he had a lot of trouble resisting Ruin, plus there was an epigraph from Sazed commenting on the relative number of spikes in kandra, koloss and Inquisitors, and how the kandra were the only ones who were able to resist in the end.

RoW chat: have I been the only one waiting for the Jasnah/Wit alliance since the epilogue to Words of Radiance?

November 17 can't come soon enough.

Also before that: Dawnshard is officially finished and off to copy edit. https://www.facebook.com/BrandSanderson/posts/10157491275660009

How long does a copy edit of 57k words take? Does this mean I'll have Dawnshard in hand by next week?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know why but I hadn't even thought he'd be back after her coronation.

And if they're only just starting the final edit, then I revise my guess of This Friday to be Next Friday :v:

edit; and it won't be in hand because it'll be an ebook ;)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

This is a canon yes since Marsh was so spiked up that he had a lot of trouble resisting Ruin, plus there was an epigraph from Sazed commenting on the relative number of spikes in kandra, koloss and Inquisitors, and how the kandra were the only ones who were able to resist in the end.

yeah obv spiked people have that issue, but spikes are highly complicated and have to be done in specific ways at specific locations, as opposed to the Lord Ruler's bunch of random piercings

also while i was looking this up, i saw a new reddit convo where Sanderson says in their TV/movie scripts for mistborn 1, they've made a big change to be consistent with the rest of the cosmere godmetals: atium can be burned by anyone with any allomancy. which i think would legit be an interesting change, as it makes more sense than The Literal Body of Ruin acting like normal metals, plus it gives you a lot to play with where rich people can give their mistings atium to become way, way more dangerous than normal folks that only have one power

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 27, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

eke out posted:

i also just re-read these! i realized i never re-read the original series, they're still a lot of fun.

and yes, definitely, Rashek says outright in Book 3 that he could never tell whether the voices in his head were his own or Ruin's and makes strategic decisions based on "the voice in my head gets really mad when i do this, so i should do this."

yeah as you just said, the lord ruler never "spiked" himself. He's just using his own feruchemical storages for compounding with his bracers. Now that clearly does give Ruin an in, but not in the same way shoving stolen powers into Marsh did with Hemalurgy. Conversely Vin's mere earing DID allow for a comparatively large amount of control despite its small quantity because its a properly located and empowered spike. Same as how Mile's own surgically implanted emergeny compounding gold allowed Harmony to track him but despite its quantity not stop him outright. Even feruchemical piercings in hemalurgical positions are still invested only with your own identity.

Was it ever confirmed in WoB that which of the three powers were due to the respective shard and which one of the three was due to their mixing of powers on Scadriel? I always figured Hemalurgy was Ruin, Feruchemy was Preservation, and Allomancy was the combination, since Preservations power being net-positive on its own doesn't track with the whole stasis thing he has going. Feruchemy being the purely Preservation since it preserves what you already had on the other hand does track.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

yeah as you just said, the lord ruler never "spiked" himself. He's just using his own feruchemical storages for compounding with his bracers. Now that clearly does give Ruin an in, but not in the same way shoving stolen powers into Marsh did with Hemalurgy. Conversely Vin's mere earing DID allow for a comparatively large amount of control despite its small quantity because its a properly located and empowered spike. Same as how Mile's own surgically implanted emergeny compounding gold allowed Harmony to track him but despite its quantity not stop him outright. Even feruchemical piercings in hemalurgical positions are still invested only with your own identity.

Was it ever confirmed in WoB that which of the three powers were due to the respective shard and which one of the three was due to their mixing of powers on Scadriel? I always figured Hemalurgy was Ruin, Feruchemy was Preservation, and Allomancy was the combination, since Preservations power being net-positive on its own doesn't track with the whole stasis thing he has going. Feruchemy being the purely Preservation since it preserves what you already had on the other hand does track.

About TLR:

According to the annotations and time-of-book-release stuff, TLR spiked himself with the bracers as well (thus making them even harder to push/pull and empowering him further), but like ten years later brandon's forgotten about whether or not it was done. If he weren't spiked I'd expect ruin couldn't talk to him.

Preservation fuels allomancy, feruchemy is the one that's a balance (since you have to Ruin yourself now to Preserve yourself later).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

well eating a bead of Lerasium gives you full allomancy, so I think it is by default the most Preservation-exclusive power possible since you consume Preservation's body to get that power.

i haven't looked up wobs but it's very unclear from the original trilogy how Feruchemy emerged. my read is that it was a separate magic system given to Terris people originally as part of the original pact between Ruin and Preservation to make the world, possibly from both, but allomancy was always around as the pure-Preservation system (but was extremely rare until Rashek gave out Lerasium beads to his nobles)

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Marsh is so powerful - the strongest Inquisitor by a wide margin, IIRC - because Ruin kept having to add spikes because he was too strong-willed to keep control of.

TLR's atium bands being spiked through his flesh, I think there may have been an original intention that metalminds had to pierce the skin (hence all of Sazed's piercings) but it was too similar to Hemalurgy so it got nixed. TLR did explicitly state he was unspiked at the climax of The Last Empire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

Marsh is so powerful - the strongest Inquisitor by a wide margin, IIRC - because Ruin kept having to add spikes because he was too strong-willed to keep control of.

TLR's atium bands being spiked through his flesh, I think there may have been an original intention that metalminds had to pierce the skin (hence all of Sazed's piercings) but it was too similar to Hemalurgy so it got nixed. TLR did explicitly state he was unspiked at the climax of The Last Empire

He says that's not the ONLY thing he has going
Am I some common Inquisitor, my powers tendowed fabrications?”

and the notes are that he has hemalurgy mixed in
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation-mistborn-chapter-thirty-eight-part-two/
Marsh’s plan to kill the Lord Ruler is a good one too. Unfortunately, the Lord Ruler’s power doesn’t come only from Hemalurgy, but from other things as well. If he’d pulled off the bracelets instead. . . .

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
They just sent out a Kickstarter email. Dawnshard will be sent out next week

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
When will nonbackers be able to buy it?

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
From the facebook post:

quote:

Backers should get their ebook copy, DRM free, in multiple formats very soon. Once we confirm they have it, we'll put it up on the Ebook websites for sale, so you can grab a copy if you didn't do the kickstarter. We anticipate doing this before Rhythm of War comes out.

Hopefully it won't be too long after the backers get it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In light of this week's chapter's new ship, might I propose my own new ship? Stormant

And yes, that is the Stormfather and Gallant the Rhyshadium.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sab669 posted:

In light of this week's chapter's new ship, might I propose my own new ship? Stormant

And yes, that is the Stormfather and Gallant the Rhyshadium.

Hopefully we’ll get a scene from Rlain or Venli during a battle where they go “woah where is this new rhythm coming from because it is absolutely sick. Wait why do the humans hear it too?” as the battlefield POV pans over to a flanking charge of Rhyshadium cavalry :black101:

My canon beat for a Rhyshadium charge is X Gon’ Give It To Ya

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rhyshadium cavalry sounds :krad: and yea that sounds like some appropriate music for it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hi! I’m listening to the Mistborn audiobook and am enjoying it a lot!! I’ve never experienced any Sanderson, but this book is pretty loving good so far and I’m only a few chapters in.

I wish I wouldn’t have seen the spoiler that Kelsier dies at some point while looking up the book originally.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, that spoiler is really hard to avoid, which is very unfortunate, imho. I still enjoyed the books, even though I was spoiled just like you were.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also you can kinda intuit that he's the wizard sent to guide the main character and therefore must die due to fantasy genre conventions lol

(definitely do not mouse over any of the spoilers on the last page where we were talking about that series though)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^I'm awful at picking up on those sorts of things :downs:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

eke out posted:

also you can kinda intuit that he's the wizard sent to guide the main character and therefore must die due to fantasy genre conventions lol

(definitely do not mouse over any of the spoilers on the last page where we were talking about that series though)

Yeah, when I started the books, I didn't know anything about them other than the "imagine if Frodo kept the ring and became and immortal tyrant" premise, so based off the prologue, I thought Kelsier was the main character and Vin was going to be like the main sidekick or something.

I'm only through Chapter 3 in the book and I'm loving stoked to continue it.

I was talking about my journey to this place in the general discussion thread. I'd been in grad school for years and generally busy so I've only personally read a handful of books in the last 5-6 years. I've started a gently caress ton of books, but ended up getting bored/distracted by them. Nothing really has hooked me too much. I think the last book I finished to completion myself was The Name of the Rose and that was like 5 years ago.

Due to my industry still being completely decimated from COVID, I recently took up delivery driving. I've never been an audiobook person before, so I decided to give it a shot. Which book did I pick first? One that has been sitting on my book shelf untouched for nearly a decade: Perdido Street Station. Boy was that like jumping into the loving deep end of the ocean as someone who hasn't read in a while. I got about 90 minutes in and was tremendously bored. The book isn't bad and I fully intend to get back to it someday but boy is that not the book to listen to while doing deliveries where you may be constantly interrupted. That book requires a relaxing quiet place, a glass of wine, and no distractions.

I refunded that audible credit and picked another book. Ended up landing on Mistborn. I've never read any Sanderson before, but I remember someone on one of the podcasts I listen to mentioning that he enjoyed the book.

From the very prologue with Tresling, I was on the edge of my loving seat. It's fun, fast, easy, and pulpy. Exactly what I needed. I don't mean any of those descriptors in a negative way.

Maybe I just appreciate that the book is fairly easy to follow. I'm sure there's some nuance along the way, but in a way, it feels more like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. "This is a big, obviously evil empire. These other people are the good guys. Now get to it."

Needless to say, I'm gushing over this book and look forward to exploring the rest of the series as well as, hopefully, some of Sanderson's other works. I'm only like 2.5 hours into this audiobook and I'm hooked harder by this book than I have been in a long time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kelsier dying is such a huge spoiler.

lolololololololol Sanderson you tease.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Due to my industry still being completely decimated from COVID, I recently took up delivery driving. I've never been an audiobook person before, so I decided to give it a shot. Which book did I pick first? One that has been sitting on my book shelf untouched for nearly a decade: Perdido Street Station. Boy was that like jumping into the loving deep end of the ocean as someone who hasn't read in a while. I got about 90 minutes in and was tremendously bored. The book isn't bad and I fully intend to get back to it someday but boy is that not the book to listen to while doing deliveries where you may be constantly interrupted. That book requires a relaxing quiet place, a glass of wine, and no distractions.

lol yeah i love those books and i still couldn't imagine trying to keep track of Mieville's language while being distracted with anything else, there's too much 'puissance' everywhere

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

eke out posted:

lol yeah i love those books and i still couldn't imagine trying to keep track of Mieville's language while being distracted with anything else, there's too much 'puissance' everywhere

I mean, not to mention that in the first 90 minutes of the audiobook (which is about the first 50 pages of the paperback), nothing loving happens. And I constantly find myself skipping back 30 seconds to re-listen to parts because it's just a bunch of CONTEXTLESS NOUN. I feel like The Name of the Rose would be easier to digest in audiobook than Perdido - maybe just barely.

For now, I'm trying to keep myself to only listening to Mistborn while doing my drives but boy is that hard. It is an intensely satisfying book that gives me exactly what I desire. When Camon was abusing Vin, I was able to think "oh, he's gonna get it" which, he did. And that owns. It was the same for Tresling in the prologue. It isn't, so far, very complex or anything in a way that I appreciate. I'm sure that the complexity builds over time, but right now there are characters that are obviously mustache-twirlingly evil and so there isn't any question that they're the "bad guys." It's just immensely satisfying.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

official art from the new book

gotta say, nale looks perfect

i like the logicspren stormclouds around the truthwatcher and the starspren w/ the willshaper. also i realize we know basically nothing about any of the others here at the moment.

e: oh Pailiah was the one posing as an ardent that shallan meets briefly, but kelek and chanarach are whereabouts unknown

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 30, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man I absolutely love all of the work Sanderson's artists do.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

eke out posted:

official art from the new book

gotta say, nale looks perfect

i like the logicspren stormclouds around the truthwatcher and the starspren w/ the willshaper. also i realize we know basically nothing about any of the others here at the moment.

e: oh Pailiah was the one posing as an ardent that shallan meets briefly, but kelek and chanarach are whereabouts unknown

RoW Spoilers:

Kelek is in the RoW prologue, but this depiction is not how I pictured him as he seemed very cowardly in the prologue and he looks like a boss here

Unrelated but in this week's chapter we finally got confirmation that the Skybreakers are warring against Dalinar and Co. I also thought it was interesting the Dustbringers are on the verge of revolt. I don't understand why they would be though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

RoW Spoilers:

Kelek is in the RoW prologue, but this depiction is not how I pictured him as he seemed very cowardly in the prologue and he looks like a boss here

i think the conceit of these is that they're a very stylized in-universe depiction? i assume that they're "real" in the way White Baptist Jesus is real lol -- real religious iconography with well known cultural significance, but not necessarily true and correct depictions of the actual person

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 30, 2020