Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We put adult (lol, non kids I guess) TV on in the background at dinner partially for this reason. I am winning no parent of the year awards clearly. It's quiet, we all talk over it for the most part, but it's nice to help pass the time if kid is taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
How do you get your toddlers to bed at a reasonable time when dinner takes forever? Thanks to Covid we can normally get the kid picked up from preschool and have dinner on the table by 6, but with a 45-minute meal and the subsequent bedtime routine (wash up, brush teeth, moisturize, get dressed, read a book, nurse, sing and rock to sleep), I’m lucky if my 20-month-old is asleep by 7:45. I keep seeing toddlers with 7PM bedtimes, but I have no idea how it’s done.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

in_cahoots posted:

How do you get your toddlers to bed at a reasonable time when dinner takes forever? Thanks to Covid we can normally get the kid picked up from preschool and have dinner on the table by 6, but with a 45-minute meal and the subsequent bedtime routine (wash up, brush teeth, moisturize, get dressed, read a book, nurse, sing and rock to sleep), I’m lucky if my 20-month-old is asleep by 7:45. I keep seeing toddlers with 7PM bedtimes, but I have no idea how it’s done.

We had the same routine and the last part always dragged because every new transition is another way to delay bedtime. After our second was born, we had success by doing bath first so that if the meal looks like it’s taking forever and realistically she’s not going to eat much more if anything, we can cut it short and get her teeth brushed and to bed.

Usually though, we do bath about 5.30, then dinner, then a bit of play, teeth, story, bed. She’s not asleep by 7, but she’s usually in the cot between 7.15 and 7.30.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid's school is on 3 week rotations now. The class is split into thirds and one section is in for a week and then the next, etc etc. He's currently not on campus so he's downstairs doing his class virtually. I could hear the fire alarm go off. Yes. They are doing a fire drill for the students on campus. :psyduck:

Edit: The virtual kids are just gabbing about minecraft because the teacher had to leave to take the 4 kids in the class outside.

Edit Edit: My kid has taken over the virtual class and is now asking the kids to raise their hands if they've seen various movies.

Edit: this fire drill has lasted 25 minutes now. They are singing a song about raining tacos.

Edit: Teacher still gone. Student is now streaming youtube videos to the rest of the class.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 29, 2020

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gotta love that students initiative. Though with covid, fire drills now seem a bit much. For the kid who can’t sleep easily , have you tried a white noise machine after placing the kid down?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

in_cahoots posted:

Like my kids have had an 8-9 bedtime for basically ever. We both work, so pre-covid, it was pickup by 6, cook dinner by 7, everyone asleep hopefully by 9. Often later because we had storytime at the library twice a week, once for 2-3yo and once for 3-5yo, and gymnastics one evening. Summer was always late cause it's not even dark until 830-9. Honestly, we tend to cycle where they're going to be too late, and then suddenly everyone is asleep earlier for a bit and then it slowly creeps back. Visiting with other parents at daycare, they were all pretty much in the same boat. I don't know anyone who ever really managed the 7pm bedtime. I figure the only way might be very early dinners or maybe fast food. Cause they'll suck down nuggets and fries way faster than what I cook.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
My kid's third grade teacher seems to love internet memes. They watched the video of cats afraid of cucumbers, and they are now learning about the election by having a debate between YOLO sloth and grumpy cat. I feel so goddamn old.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We’re gonna “gain” an hour in a few days, not looking forward to baby waking up an hour earlier than normal. Any way I can make this adjustment as smooth as possible?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Daycare sent me a video today of him Naruto running around the classroom, yelling at nothing the entire time.

I'm getting concerned that this child is becoming too powerful.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Little boy has gone into the "must eat toes" phase of his life. I'm getting a little worried about socks though, because he'll bite down on them and rip them off his feet then chew on them. That seems less than safe to me for leaving him in the crib alone if I can't be around.

Should I be taking his socks off before setting him down now that he's started doing this? Or just switch to clothes with built-in feet for the winter so he can't choke on the socks?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
My 7 1/2 month son loves playing with and shoving socks in his mouth more than most any toy. I don't let him play with them unsupervised and so far he hasn't gotten them far enough in to choke on, so I let it ride. He sleeps in footy pjs/sleep sack so it's not a problem at night.

Unrelated: he slept through the night last night for the second time. Two months ago I was posting in this thread about his horrible sleep so I guess maybe there's hope for other parents out there.
To make up for that though he's now pulling himself up to standing and the top of the coffee table is no longer a safe zone.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Little boy has gone into the "must eat toes" phase of his life. I'm getting a little worried about socks though, because he'll bite down on them and rip them off his feet then chew on them. That seems less than safe to me for leaving him in the crib alone if I can't be around.

Should I be taking his socks off before setting him down now that he's started doing this? Or just switch to clothes with built-in feet for the winter so he can't choke on the socks?

At some point we removed all socks from the kid's room because we found him one night, making funny noises that turned out to be him slurping on the ENTIRE SOCK he had in his mouth. I forget how old he was, exactly, but I think somewhere between 18 and 24mo.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

we did not have a toe or sock eating phase, wtf is this a common thing

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

my stepdads beer posted:

“Does your child suck their toes” (paraphrased) was part of the motor skills assessment at our new pediatrician

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

nachos posted:

We’re gonna “gain” an hour in a few days, not looking forward to baby waking up an hour earlier than normal. Any way I can make this adjustment as smooth as possible?

Starting tonight we are pushing bedtime back 15 min. We are lucky we don't have to get up at a certain time so we let her sleep in until whenever, but pushing bedtime around in small chunks seems to have helped the last few time changes when we still had a set wake up time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

Basically you have dinner by 5. Many of my coworkers go to work at 6 or 7 am so they get home on time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Basically you have dinner by 5. Many of my coworkers go to work at 6 or 7 am so they get home on time.

Yup, we're eating around 5 as well. My wife's a virtual teacher in the next time zone over, so she's done ~2:30 and I usually work 7:30-4:30. The 2-year-old's down by 6:45, and the 5-year-old's in her room around 7:45 nowadays.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

my stepdads beer posted:

Both ours went through that phase. 2nd is almost 6 mo and he still does sometimes.

L0cke17 posted:

Just take the socks off. Won't stop them from devouring their toes, but at least they won't have a sopping wet sock.

edit: whoops I totally misinterpreted your concern. We never had an issue with ours wrangling the sock off, but we never left either of them unsupervised such that that would be an issue. For sleep/nap, we use a sleep sack anyhow, but we also use footy pajamas, so it never really came up.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 30, 2020

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp, potty training fatigue has set in. On the bright side, we did have two poops taken fully in the potty, without prompting. He knew he had to go and knew where he was supposed to drop his deuce, and he made it to the potty unlike the last few days. On the not-so-bright side, when he pees he either sits too far forward or gets distracted so won’t push his penis down the whole time. Because of this alone I’ve cleaned the same spot on the floor four times today and he’s gone through all his clean pairs of sweat pants.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Argh, I wish my husband and I had your coworkers. We’re lucky if meetings are done by 5. And of course we waste a ton of hours in the morning since the toddler now wakes up at 5AM.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When our 23 month old wakes up too early we bring him into bed with us and let him watch videos while we nap. We're probably bad parents but sometimes that last bit of sleep is a godsend.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tamarillo posted:

When our 23 month old wakes up too early we bring him into bed with us and let him watch videos while we nap. We're probably bad parents but sometimes that last bit of sleep is a godsend.

Yeah I'm trying to not do that and it results in me sleeping less then you, I guess. Like every third morning she wakes up an hour early and it's very hit-or-miss whether she'll go back down after I take he to the potty.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Around age 2, we got a red/green night light clock. It took a little practice, but after a couple weeks our kid stopped leaving the room before 7:00 so often.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My nine-month-old has transitioned from a breastmilk-only diet to having a big bowl of rice cereal in the mornings, and some veggie purée later in the day. (We tried baby-led weaning and it didn’t work; he gained no weight in 3 months.) The problem is now he’s pooping ALL THE TIME and we can’t change his diaper fast enough to prevent diaper rash. I’m putting this incredibly thick cream on every time and it’s not enough. His poor bum is so red and irritated and it hurts him every time I wipe him. Any suggestions??

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
At 2.5 years the child has now learned how to really use sentences and most of all assing qualifiers.... such as "RIGHT NOW!".... can I go back to the newborn hungry every two hours stage?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

boquiabierta posted:

My nine-month-old has transitioned from a breastmilk-only diet to having a big bowl of rice cereal in the mornings, and some veggie purée later in the day. (We tried baby-led weaning and it didn’t work; he gained no weight in 3 months.) The problem is now he’s pooping ALL THE TIME and we can’t change his diaper fast enough to prevent diaper rash. I’m putting this incredibly thick cream on every time and it’s not enough. His poor bum is so red and irritated and it hurts him every time I wipe him. Any suggestions??

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/petrolatum-maalox-topical.ashx

My daughter had some really awful diarrhea a few times and poor thing was so eaten up by all that acid. This made it better fast. Our pediatrician will actually prescribe this for the pharmacy to compound if I ask. It’s not covered by insurance but sometimes I just don’t feel like making it myself.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Sarah posted:

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/petrolatum-maalox-topical.ashx

My daughter had some really awful diarrhea a few times and poor thing was so eaten up by all that acid. This made it better fast. Our pediatrician will actually prescribe this for the pharmacy to compound if I ask. It’s not covered by insurance but sometimes I just don’t feel like making it myself.

I'm pretty sure that's the stuff that came up in the medical worker's thread when they were talking about diaper rash, it's good poo poo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

left_unattended posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the stuff that came up in the medical worker's thread when they were talking about diaper rash, it's good poo poo.

Seconding this, it's wonderful. We made it ourselves and it's a chore to get it all mixed right, but it really did work wonders. It was hell to hear our boy cry in earnest from the pain of his rashes during diaper changes, and he'd get them even when we held off on the acidic food (he loves oranges and can see them on the counter, so at one point it was a lot of tantrums when we stopped feeding him oranges for a few weeks to keep the diaper rashes in check).

Alternatively, we started using Triple Paste last year (you can find at Target or order online) and this stuff seems to work better for our son than other things like Desitin max strength, despite having seemingly most of the same ingredients. If it has anything extra I couldn't tell. You can get decent-sized tubs of it that'll last you a good amount of time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Triple paste is magic.

I hosed up and didn't notice poop for an hour a few days ago and it caused a rash so bad he was screaming and crying in pain. Triple pasted that poo poo, and overnight it cleared up significantly that it only was causing him mild discomfort.

Then the next day, his teachers at school did the same thing but worse and it blew up to the worst diaper rash I've ever seen. The screaming during bath and every diaper change were even worse than the previous day. Overnight with triple paste the rash was merely uncomfortable, the next day he was almost back to normal and we switched to A&D for the rest of the day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nanny/Aupair chat?

Aupair seems like a screaming deal if you live in a high CoL area and you have a spare bedroom

Nanny is a lot less paperwork and local, but you are paying local rates

Anybody tried a nanny share? I guess each family pays about 2/3 the going rate. Looks like there is perhaps three main nanny sites

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kid has a massive bladder or some poo poo, 2 days in a row he's filled a diaper before midnight after going to bed. I didn't realize the made bigger diapers for sleeping in but that got ordered next day shipping the second google told me where to buy them.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My kid has never gone to bed before 8:30 for her whole life. We do dinner at 7, bath time at 8, and depending on how tired she is, she goes in her bed between 8:30-9. She usually sleeps until 7:30-8am, which I am so thankful for. My friend’s toddler goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 4am... I can’t even imagine.

Really, really hoping baby #2 eventually gets the same sleep schedule, especially since they will be sharing a room for several years, until we move or until one is mature enough to take the bedroom in the basement.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Nothing like a good old fashioned dinner meltdown because he can't sit on the baseball bat.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hadlock posted:

Nanny/Aupair chat?

Aupair seems like a screaming deal if you live in a high CoL area and you have a spare bedroom

Anybody tried a nanny share? I guess each family pays about 2/3 the going rate. Looks like there is perhaps three main nanny sites

The au pair program is really lovely and the workers are prone to all sorts of abuse because there's zero regulation and the families that can afford an au pair can also afford lawyers to prevent any sort of accountability. I have an ex who was an au pair, her family treated her like poo poo and every other au pair I've ever met has similar stories.

If it's your last resort then you could go for it and be the exception that actually pays your au pair their full wages on time, doesn't use their immigration status as a cudgel to get extra hours out of them, etc.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

Nanny/Aupair chat?

We host a nanny share at our house with one other family sending their 2 kids. I think technically each family should have their own EIN and pay taxes on the nanny's wages, but I handle the tax stuff myself and the other family just sends me a check. We were working with our nanny since our kid was 4 months, but at a different family's house, but the other kid went off to 4k this fall so we moved to our house and found another family to split with. I know the other family through my work and actually grew up friends with our nanny so I can't give advice there as far as vetting or recruiting. Feel free to PM if you have any questions that are too off topic for this thread.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Koivunen posted:

My kid has never gone to bed before 8:30 for her whole life. We do dinner at 7, bath time at 8, and depending on how tired she is, she goes in her bed between 8:30-9. She usually sleeps until 7:30-8am, which I am so thankful for. My friend’s toddler goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 4am... I can’t even imagine.

Really, really hoping baby #2 eventually gets the same sleep schedule, especially since they will be sharing a room for several years, until we move or until one is mature enough to take the bedroom in the basement.

I have an early to bed kid. I don’t recall at what month old we figured out she wanted to be in bed at 7 but that’s what it is and it’s been that way for a while. She starts grumping in the morning around 6 am but no one goes to get her until 7.

It was like heaven the other day when she slept in and had to be woken up at 7:30. Sadly it didn’t continue the next day. :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

I have an ex who was an au pair, her family treated her like poo poo and every other au pair I've ever met has similar stories.

I'm sure abuse is rampant but just to provide another account, I had an ex from 2010 who had been an au pair previously in Seattle. We stay in touch and still to this day that family loves her and she stays in touch with the kids and loves them to pieces.

All we've personally done was a 3 day a week nanny which cost us as much as I was making (my wife makes more) so it was basically a wash having a nanny and no big deal when we had to give her up with corona, save for the fact that I became a full time parent and am slowly going insane.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I read somewhere that the au pair visa program was paused due to Covid/immigration/Trump. Probably worth double-checking.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Uh, note that an Au Pair lives with you. Full time. So, I mean, if that's not weird to you, then sure I guess because for 2+ kids that's usually cheaper than day care.

But also recall that by law, their hours are limited. Pretty much once you get home from work, they're off the clock. They're not a 24/7 nanny that cooks/cleans/watches the kid at your whim. They're a live-in day care that has a very limited duty to your kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

DaveSauce posted:

Uh, note that an Au Pair lives with you. Full time. So, I mean, if that's not weird to you, then sure I guess because for 2+ kids that's usually cheaper than day care.

But also recall that by law, their hours are limited. Pretty much once you get home from work, they're off the clock. They're not a 24/7 nanny that cooks/cleans/watches the kid at your whim. They're a live-in day care that has a very limited duty to your kid.

The problem is that because they are from a foreign country and can’t drive / can’t speak English as a first language / don’t have money / are entirely beholden on you personally for their lodging and employment - sometimes they do get treated as a 24/7 nanny.

There’s a huge power imbalance and it’s a coin flip if the host family are good people or not.