Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I wish Oldwings were cheap here in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I liked my CB750 and I know it wasn’t a sport bike a s yeah it was heavy but it was fun to ride and I enjoyed it.

As the new bike thread so accurately states: I’ll probably not get anything.

Oh they're absolutely fun, was just trying to make the point that they're not any more fun than a stripped down Oldwing at 20% of the price of the CB. Pre-1984 it's a very similar bike with a different engine configuration and some kickin rad 80's tech.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
New Ducati Multistrada has active cruise control like the BMWs too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it kind of blows my mind that anyone wants tech features to help them follow a car on a bike

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Yuns posted:

New Ducati Multistrada has active cruise control like the BMWs too.

yeah iirc the spy shots of the newer big twin KTMs have it too. i've got a feeling they'll re-introduce the SAT model with it alongside the SAS and SAR that they currently have and run those models without it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

it kind of blows my mind that anyone wants tech features to help them follow a car on a bike

Yeah that one is kinda :magemage:. Because we can I guess. Though if you're the kind of person who gets the red mist when you're stuck behind traffic you can't pass, it might help with your blood pressure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're the kind of person who gets the red mist when stuck behind a car on your motorcycle, you are only stuck behind a car because you're choosing to be. There's always room to pass and a little mortal danger isn't going to stop you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

That's not what's happening here. Nobody went 'jeez I could do with something that stops me tailgating cars' and wrote a demanding letter to bosch. The demand is entirely manufactured by marketing departments desperately squeezing the engineers for big jumps they can put on a feature list instead of the gradual refinement that actually makes better bikes. Then you get into a dentist uncle beerbrag feedback loop and the result is the modern ADV segment.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
no loving way would I trust adaptive cruise control on a bike, much less an Italian bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

no loving way would I trust an Italian bike.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Off the top of my head I don't know of any cars with both manual transmissions and adaptive cruise. If that's accurate I'm kind of impressed with BMW and Ducati

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought literally the only car on the market at the time with both a manual transmission and autonomous driving, weirdly enough, it’s the Honda Accord

They’ve since killed the manual version :smith:, but from 2018 to 2020 you could buy an accord that would both drive itself and not shift by itself.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 30, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

Off the top of my head I don't know of any cars with both manual transmissions and adaptive cruise. If that's accurate I'm kind of impressed with BMW and Ducati

I believe the Golf GTI and Golf R have this. ACC in a car rules. I’m not super interested on a bike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can somebody enlighten me of what it does? Is that the thing that automatically hits the brakes when you're approaching something too fast? Because I would want that 100%.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

That’s collision avoidance. Which afaik is only done at low speeds.

ACC keeps your distance fixed from the vehicle in front of you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ACC just automatically adjusts your cruise control to keep a minimum distance to the car ahead.

It's a fantastic feature in a car and should imo be made mandatory just like ABS, but I don't know if it's all that useful on a bike that isn't a big heavy tourer.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

FBS posted:

The entire VAG (VW, audi, seat ,skoda) offers adaptive cruise with manual transmission. It just idles when you press the clutch and resumes CC automatically when you lift the foot of the clutch.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

If you're the kind of person who gets the red mist when stuck behind a car on your motorcycle, you are only stuck behind a car because you're choosing to be. There's always room to pass and a little mortal danger isn't going to stop you

This is why I need a leader bike as a new rider and furthermore

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitrox posted:

Can somebody enlighten me of what it does? Is that the thing that automatically hits the brakes when you're approaching something too fast? Because I would want that 100%.

The Honda version at least uses LIDAR to monitor the vehicles in front of you. It’s more than just “keep distance between us”. The first thing you have to understand is there is a 4 position setting that generally defines how far you want to be from the car in front, ranging from “pretty close” to “really far away”. The car does all of its distance keeping based on the setting you choose

This is how the Honda version works. Not sure about others

If the vehicle in front of you is accelerating or slowing slowly, the car will allow itself to close distance on the car in front without jamming on the brakes or gain distance without flooring it.

If the car in front of you decelerates rapidly, your car will brake firmly until the distance closes more and then it stands on the brakes if needed. I have had it go all the way to ABS activating if it needs to.

If a car merges into your lane and is neither braking nor accelerating, your car brakes gently to put distance between you if the car in front is too close. If the car merges and is braking, it brakes firmly and if the car merges and is accelerating, it allows the near distance as long as the car in front keeps putting distance between you and it won’t brake unless the car in front brakes.

It also rev matches if you push the clutch while it’s autonomously braking. For instance, if you have the cruise set at 75 and the car has to brake down to 35, it will rev match properly when you jump right from 6th to 3rd. There must be some sort of sensor that tells the car where the stick is in the “gate” so it can rev match to the appropriate RPM before it engages. The car doesn’t make you go 6-5-4-3. It does the same on upshifts.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 30, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I passed my full motorcycle license test yesterday.

I tried out the Indian Scout today at Saltire Motorcycles, Edinburgh. Really good. Lower back hurt a bit though, feet too far forward I think, might get the shorter foot controls if I get it, and raise the shifter a tad to make it easier to get my boot under it.

Then went to try out some Harleys at Harley Davidson Edinburgh...

But I couldn't. I am thoroughly disappointed with them. I had phoned them yesterday, told the man there that I passed my test yesterday, that I'm coming from Stirling, which is a ways, and I want to test ride the Sportster 883 and the Softail Fat Bob. He said that should be fine as long as they were in stock.

I get there and I see that there are multiple Sportsters and Fat Bobs in stock.

I ask for the man who I spoke to on the phone. He's currently on the phone. Ok fine. Half an hour passes and he finally gets off the phone. I say hi to him, pleasantries ensue... Then he tells me: "my manager says you can't test ride it since you don't have a year's experience".

Twat. Then you shouldn't have told me on the phone that test rides were fine.

If I buy a Fat Bob, I might just buy the Fat Bob elsewhere and let him know I did, just for spite. Dick.

Harley Davidson doesn't actually like selling their bikes do they.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 12, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Harley Davidson doesn't actually like selling their bikes.

Quote for truth.

That really sucks and I'd be so furious that I wouldn't buy any HD. Heck, call them and tell them that. Or don't. They don't care.

Grats on your full license! Which scout are you considering? Why not FTR for the better ergos?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm considering the regular 6 speed Indian Scout, not the Bobber, nor the 60.

I tried sitting on the FTR a month or so ago, just sitting on it and it felt like my feet were too far back... I know I know, I'm looking for golidlocks foot placement!

Coydog posted:

That really sucks and I'd be so furious that I wouldn't buy any HD. Heck, call them and tell them that. Or don't. They don't care.

I really want to ride the Fat Bob, it felt very good ergo wise for the ten seconds I sat on it at the dealer. Lets see if Harley Glasgow let me take it out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My goodness, the difference in the quality of service between Harley Davidson Edinburgh and West Coast Harley Davidson in Glasgow, it’s mindboggling.

WCHD were so much better. They had so much time for me, were really nice, explained a great deal about the bikes they had in stock and how I could test ride whatever I like (aside from the Livewire). Had me sit on loads of them, said “Yep, looks like the Fat Bob 114 fits you great, here area the keys, ride it as much as you like, just bring it back with some petrol in it. Oh and I’ll wash your Honda for you while you’re test riding the Fat Bob.”.

Rode the Fat Bob. LOVED IT. Perfect ergos, great engine, nice and smooth and the gear shifts were buttery smooth too.

Came back and they were happy to talk finance and stuff, and no pressure. Gave me some quotes.

I’ll be buying it from them on Monday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

My goodness, the difference in the quality of service between Harley Davidson Edinburgh and West Coast Harley Davidson in Glasgow, it’s mindboggling.

WCHD were so much better. They had so much time for me, were really nice, explained a great deal about the bikes they had in stock and how I could test ride whatever I like (aside from the Livewire). Had me sit on loads of them, said “Yep, looks like the Fat Bob 114 fits you great, here area the keys, ride it as much as you like, just bring it back with some petrol in it. Oh and I’ll wash your Honda for you while you’re test riding the Fat Bob.”.

Rode the Fat Bob. LOVED IT. Perfect ergos, great engine, nice and smooth and the gear shifts were buttery smooth too.

Came back and they were happy to talk finance and stuff, and no pressure. Gave me some quotes.

I’ll be buying it from them on Monday.

Amazing how good Harley can be when they try, isn't it? On both the bike and dealer fronts. Post lots of pics.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They are really good when they try, agreed. I don't understand why the majority of their bike range still caters to a dying and diminishing market segment.

Aside from the Fat Bob and the Livewire, the rest of their current range only really appeals to an older audience. Instead of making more models like that, e.g. the Bronx, they cancel them. They cancelled the V-ROD too, which was a quite interesting bike (haven't ridden it yet).

Also, how is there such a vast difference in attitudes and service between 2 dealerships? Unbelievable.

I'll definitely be posting pics of it once I buy it, but here's 2 pictures in the interim I took of it when I took it for a test ride:

What do you guys think? I think it looks tremendous.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It looks like a prop from a scifi movie (despite being one of the most basic "motor and wheels" kind of bikes imaginable), so yeah you basically have to get it

Incredible what a difference a headlight makes

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The headlight is something that really grows on you. I quite like it.

The thing weighs 300kg or so, but doesn't feel it at all.

I am definitely getting it.

Tomorrow morning will be spent basically arranging a bank loan, arranging insurance, bargaining about the price of it and discussing how it'll be delivered and when.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want every manufacturer to copy that headlight

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Not my cup of tea but life is too short not to treat yourself. Go for it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Oibignose posted:

Not my cup of tea but life is too short not to treat yourself. Go for it.

Agreed, but if you like it, by all means go get it!

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 16, 2020

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
What brought you around to the Fat Bob in the end rather than the 600s you were looking at originally? It's funny looking back at your posts through this thread, we've followed a similar period of 125s ownership and passing tests etc, but I've done the opposite about turn on thinking a Harley looked fun before I could ride, to now owning an SV650. Different strokes for different folks!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Comfort.

I have arthritis and the Bob is by far the most comfortable bike (for me) to get on, and also to ride.

It's also looks cool to me and the power is great and yet very controllable.

Also, re not going for the 600s I was looking at earlier, eh, I tried the Bandit and the MT-07, didn't like them. Had a sit on the Triumph 675, didn't like its ergos.

I'm sure an SV650 would be nice, but I can't get the plushness of the Harley out of my mind!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It stops being plush after you realize that your position on the seat is locked in. Or I guess it depends on how skinny you are.

Many motorcycles seats have the issue of being soft and comfy for like an hour and then turning into a nightmare for anything longer than that. This is why after market seats are so popular

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Has anyone had any exposure to the new 2019/2020 KTM 690 SMC R's? I'm cross shopping SMCR's ($13k AUD secondhand), Husqvarna 701SMs ($10-15k secondhand but come up infrequently) and gen 1 SuperDuke 1290s ($14-15k secondhand with 30k-ish kms).

Use case would be 20-30k kms of commuting a year plus a 2000k round trip once a year, camping light - previous bikes I've owned that both fit the bill were a B-King/R1 (sick of smooth i4s and live in a speed nazi state with 110 kp/H limits) and a sumoed DR650. Also considering the 1100 Tuonos as they're surprisingly cheap, but not sure if a V4 would give me the lumpy aggression I'm after or would be just another too-smooth bike that would never see it's exciting top end.

Note: DR650 had all the big bore/ported head/cam/tm40 carb mods etc bringing it up to about the SMCR's power and I enjoyed it, but it grenaded pretty quick. Can't have that happen again.

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 16, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Isolationist posted:

Has anyone had any exposure to the new 2019/2020 KTM 690 SMC R's? I'm cross shopping SMCR's ($13k AUD secondhand), Husqvarna 701SMs ($10-15k secondhand but come up infrequently) and gen 1 SuperDuke 1290s ($14-15k secondhand with 30k-ish kms).

Use case would be 20-30k kms of commuting a year plus a 2000k round trip once a year, camping light - previous bikes I've owned that both fit the bill were a B-King/R1 (sick of smooth i4s and live in a speed nazi state with 110 kp/H limits) and a sumoed DR650. Also considering the 1100 Tuonos as they're surprisingly cheap, but not sure if a V4 would give me the lumpy aggression I'm after or would be just another too-smooth bike that would never see it's exciting top end.

Note: DR650 had all the big bore/ported head/cam/tm40 carb mods etc bringing it up to about the SMCR's power and I enjoyed it, but it grenaded pretty quick. Can't have that happen again.

Don't get an SMC for 20-30k / year of commuting duty, same for the 701SM. CA poster High Protein can fill you in on how long his 701 lasted before eating a valve, but regardless those motors aren't designed for longevity and won't live long with that kind of use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I'll definitely be posting pics of it once I buy it, but here's 2 pictures in the interim I took of it when I took it for a test ride:

I think maybe it's the angle but the first photo made it look like it had a super tiny front tire so I thought it was one of those e-bike scooters at first. I'm not a HD fan but I can see the appeal in that, congrats I hope you really love it! One of these days I'm going to try something with foot forward riding position.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

They are really good when they try, agreed. I don't understand why the majority of their bike range still caters to a dying and diminishing market segment.

Aside from the Fat Bob and the Livewire, the rest of their current range only really appeals to an older audience. Instead of making more models like that, e.g. the Bronx, they cancel them. They cancelled the V-ROD too, which was a quite interesting bike (haven't ridden it yet).

Also, how is there such a vast difference in attitudes and service between 2 dealerships? Unbelievable.

Like others here I also am not a HD fan but that's a good looking bike. Not crazy about the headlamp, but it actually looks functional rather than aesthetic. Better than all the weird insect eyes tacked on the front of basically all non-cruiser bikes these days by a country mile.

Is there an aftermarket for mid-controls on that model? Or does the giant primary prevent that from being possible?

Speaking of aftermarket, is it also standard in the UK to put freedom pipes on your Harley before you take it home from the dealership?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's a super handsome bike in person, op really sucks at taking pictures.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Glad to see more fat front tires in the world. Wide tire good, tall tire bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Isolationist posted:

commuting on what is basically a dirt bike (with a dirt bike seat) can suck. that being said the 2019+ 690 engines have counterbalancers so they definitely don't vibrate as much as you'd expect a single to (the 701s are from like 2017 onward I believe?) lc4s aren't terrible engines, but they definitely aren't as reliable as the lc8 is so I would not recommend one personally since I prefer to not have to monkey around constantly with a commuter

that being said I'd take a hard look at the superdukes or even one of the adv models as the lc8 is what you'd be looking for in a motor wrt being sick of lame i4s and doing a bit of commuting. the 1090 adv is also a very good bike with only a little less if you're not into the tfts or are just wanting something a bit cheaper

long story short lc8 > lc4