Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

So I guess the Romulans never regained their major player status by the time of the Burn but it also seems suspicious that no other factions had a strong fleet of non-antimatter-using FTL ships

Because I can tell you this, if all the dilithium exploded in the TNG era there would be 99 D'deridexes in sector 001 before you could say Varool

It's a 800 years later, The Romulans had probably been Federation members forever and happily had their needs provided for by Starfleet.

Even if not though, who knows. Maybe singularity tech didn't scale well in the long run. Or maybe matter/antimatter tech just outpaced it on account of being developed and researched and upgraded by every other major power so the Romulans switched over.

The episode title list implies we're going to see what's up with the Romulans by 3x07, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I like the idea that the Federation bumped into another Q/Nagilum/Sha Ka Ree type entity and finally wasn't able to technobabble their way out of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You're both right of course about the possible explanations for the singularity tech absence

Surely now when dilithium is impossibly rare, it should have returned?

I just think the more likely explanation is nobody thought of it

But we'll see. I'm not pre-judging, merely speculating

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Surely now when dilithium is impossibly rare, it should have returned?

Possibly, but 99% of ship engineers were lost, all of the fleet yards were probably wiped out from ships inside them going up along with most of the stations or docks (even an active warp-capable shuttlecraft would've been enough to take out a station). The sheer loss of expertise and facilities means it's totally plausible that they're still recovering and haven't been able to take these ancient concepts and develop a whole new technology base and starship building infrastructure, even a century later.

(Also, on a nerdier note the way that singularity tech would hypothetically work (it's been theorised in real life, which is what the show was referencing, you basically hold a small black hole at the critical size where its output in hawking radiation equals your energy needs and continuously feed it an equal amount of matter to the energy it's emitting per e=mc^2 to maintain its size) means that it's probably limited to a certain scale of ship, and developing a technology that only works for ships roughly D'Deridex size is probably of limited use as you're slowly trying to bootstrap yourself back up into interstellar civilisation.)

There is a good chance they did forget but there's also a chance it'll be addressed in Unification Part III.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 30, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Has there been an explanation why subspace communication just stopped?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Subspace was destroyed by some faction, book mentioned it offhand

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That was the Gorn thing, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Modern Trek really, really wants to ring the Gorn bell and I guess I'm okay with that!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hey, cant stop and help you guys and upgrade our ship with near 1000 year future tech, gotta go!

And I'm crying because my family is no longer alive. Time to go to a tree and pose with the rest of the bridge crew instead of find out where my descendants are, what happened to our homes, learn future tech, history, or anything important to survive.

Must have been funny for the owners of the old Starfleet HQ. Being asked to allow several people to access your land and watch them just go and hug a tree.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was really apprehensive about Adira from early reports because Star Trek doesn’t have the greatest track record with young super-genius characters, but she is an absolute delight. Del Barrio is super impressive, especially since this is their first acting credit apparently.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I guess Detmer got enough aspirin or something.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

That was the Gorn thing, right?

Book offhandedly mentions that the Gorn hosed up subspace in two sectors, not the entire galaxy.

I think it's already been established that subspace comms are based upon a networked relay system; since the Feds aren't around to maintain it anymore, one can assume it now takes months to get messages out and back. Michael said as much when she talked about contacting Terralysium.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The comprehensive and easy subspace communication in the old shows was because of networks of thousands of largely automated subspace relay stations they maintained that was ubiquitous across Federation space, and that was connected up to similar networks in Klingon and etc space. Ships like the D that explored outside the Federation even just dropped small ones behind them regularly like a trail of breadcrumbs to provisionally expand out the network and stay in touch. It's pretty easy to see how that kind of thing could break down post-burn.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 30, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, I see it as "What if Earth's internet cable lines at the ocean floor all fell into disrepair and/or stopped working and nobody could fix them".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was reminded about what I wanted to post about earlier. I like at the end where they say that every 'main' character in every show is always a mary sue who just happened to study under the big tree at Starfleet headquarters, and was best friends with Boothby, and was the smartest kid in class. How many people go through starfleet, there wouldn't be enough room under that tree for everyone to study there. Also the fact that they didn't seem to grab any kind of new tech from Earth that might help them. Like those personal teleporters, or replicators, or quantum torpedoes.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The comprehensive and easy subspace communication in the old shows was because of networks of thousands of largely automated subspace relay stations they maintained that was ubiquitous across Federation space, and that was connected up to similar networks in Klingon and etc space. Ships like the D that explored outside the Federation even just dropped small ones behind them regularly like a trail of breadcrumbs to provisionally expand out the network and stay in touch. It's pretty easy to see how that kind of thing could break down post-burn.

Yeah, check out the TNG episode Aquiel for a small (and I think only) look at the kind of unglamorous work star fleet does at subspace relays.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Michael said as much when she talked about contacting Terralysium.

Terralysium is half a galaxy away from Earth anyway, isn't it? It's almost as far as Voyager was.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I was reminded about what I wanted to post about earlier. I like at the end where they say that every 'main' character in every show is always a mary sue who just happened to study under the big tree at Starfleet headquarters, and was best friends with Boothby, and was the smartest kid in class. How many people go through starfleet, there wouldn't be enough room under that tree for everyone to study there. Also the fact that they didn't seem to grab any kind of new tech from Earth that might help them. Like those personal teleporters, or replicators, or quantum torpedoes.

They, uhh, didn't say this? Like 3 people went "yeah me too" when Tilly said she used to study under the tree. This is just a variation of "oh hey that landmark from our old college campus is still there, remember how all the freshmen used to hang out by this ugly statue?"

Also just because they helped reveal the secret of the raiders doesn't mean that United Earth is going to immediately reverse their 100-year standing policy of "gently caress off, all this poo poo is ours and you're not getting any." Literally human refugees from within the solar system desperate for help for decades and the furthest they get on-screen is "we are willing to open negotiations with you," so I doubt they'd be all "oh hey thanks guys here's a bunch of tech after the audience was explicitly shown and told that Earth is staunchly isolationist and doesn't give a gently caress about Starfleet anymore."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How long was Discovery away from Michael in their time? It seems like a day to me but Tilly is all like "I always knew I'd see you again" etc

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tree scene was the last scene of the episode. Discovery lower decks crew got to to the denouement and emotional closure of an episode and have it focus on them instead of the writers trying to build suspense and drama revving up for another immediate bout of danger. If they get new tech, there'll be a scene or two with Stamets and Tilly and Reno and new girl bitching about integration issues with the old ship and new tech with sparks flying and things breaking. But you can spread that story thread out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

socialsecurity posted:

How long was Discovery away from Michael in their time? It seems like a day to me but Tilly is all like "I always knew I'd see you again" etc

About a full year, that's what Burnham's opening log is all about. Burnham popped out of the wormhole in 3188, so Discovery appeared in 3189.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

About a full year, that's what Burnham's opening log is all about. Burnham popped out of the wormhole in 3188, so Discovery appeared in 3189.

From their perspective? Like what did they spend that year doing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They mean relative to Discovery's crew, not Burnham, Tilly going "I always knew I'd see you again" when it's only been a short time from her point of view it a bit odd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

They mean relative to Discovery's crew, not Burnham, Tilly going "I always knew I'd see you again" when it's only been a short time from her point of view it a bit odd.

Oh right, my bad. Yeah, Disco had only been in the future for less than a day when Burnham showed up, but I guess you can chalk that up to the largely unknown nature of what was going to happen to them, and Burnham in particular, once they went through the wormhole.

Tilly's got strong emotions to begin with, Burnham is more or less her best friend, and they lost a bunch of folks in the crash landing, so :shrug:

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Ep 3: saw it, liked it, am now confused if it's Book or Booker.

I think by bringing in the new person, they're going to move Tilly fully into the Command/Burnham track. It hasn't worked great so far with her being pulled between that and Engineering/Stamets, so I think the new character will be filling that "Stamets' protege" role. Or, comedy option: new person gets all their memories back and becomes a mentor to Stamets to improve his abysmally low eq and they argue constantly as she condescends to him (might be encroaching on Reno's role a bit there though).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleveland Booker, but he goes by Book to everyone because his name is goddamn Cleveland.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So I’m cautiously optimistic about the direction this season. Still some aspects they need to work on but we’re lightyears better than S1. Clowning on the mushroom drive was good. Michael just running off on a plan counting on everyone else to figure it out was not. Also that was kinda a waste of Christopher Heyerdal. He’s up there with Doug Jones playing good characters in heavy makeup.

I also need Tig Notaro to be a regular. Every scene she’s in is fantastic.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i wonder if they’re going to use the sphere archive as a path to refit/upgrade the ship - Saru mentions it knew about the Trill already so possible they can try to approach parity with the 32nd century based on what they already have plus what they can glean from sensors/friendlies/whatever

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Stop hating on the mushroom drive - ships have always travelled at the speed of Plot, and warp 10 was worse. At least now when they need to have something go wrong with their engine it can be character drama instead of "something's wrong with [magic box], but maybe if we tech the tech we can be mobile again, however it will take [too long timeframe]" followed by the Captain telling them "you have [half too long timeframe]".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man I bet Ndoye is going to be quietly happy that in the end she could establish trust and help out with this lost federation ship and then be all 'bye! good luck!' and then discovery's going to zap space with electricity, do a flip and teleport away and she's gonna be all OH HANG ON WHAT THE gently caress YOU SHITHEADS

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It was only a small scene, but I enjoyed enthusiastic dadmode Stamets interacting with Adira. I hope there'll be more of that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

So I’m cautiously optimistic about the direction this season. Still some aspects they need to work on but we’re lightyears better than S1.

Agreeing with all of this

Strong Convections posted:

Stop hating on the mushroom drive - ships have always travelled at the speed of Plot, and warp 10 was worse.

lmbo that your threshold is "Better then Threshold"

You're damning disco with faint praise by even comparing it to the arguably worst ep of the previously (arguably) worst series

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

The Bloop posted:

lmbo that your threshold is "Better then Threshold"

You're damning disco with faint praise by even comparing it to the arguably worst ep of the previously (arguably) worst series
You think a show which has so far been pretty respectful toward its female characters needs more tits in it.
Funny that you think that the worst series is the one with the female captain when there's the choices of "boringest series ever", "gratuitous eyeball extraction" and "murderous messiah complex" on the table.

Even without the reptile transformation, the concept of warp 10 - being everywhere in the universe simultaneously - is a worse idea.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Voyager was boring and bad and it had nothing to do with the female captain - from what I've seen the general consensus was that Janeway and Seven were the best characters on the show

e: also I don't think "bending spacetime to the point where you're everywhere at once" is that dumb of a concept, just the execution was bad. That sort of time/space fuckery is pretty common in sci-fi tropes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strong Convections posted:

Funny that you think that the worst series is the one with the female captain when there's the choices of "boringest series ever", "gratuitous eyeball extraction" and "murderous messiah complex" on the table.

No. No. This is not going to become a place where we say things like "If you think Voyager is the worst series it must be because you're a misogynist".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Voyager was boring and bad and it had nothing to do with the female captain - from what I've seen the general consensus was that Janeway and Seven were the best characters on the show

e: also I don't think "bending spacetime to the point where you're everywhere at once" is that dumb of a concept, just the execution was bad. That sort of time/space fuckery is pretty common in sci-fi tropes.

Janeway/Seven/Doctor, Tuvok for a close second everyone else is the most boring character imaginable.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When watching this episode I was thinking about how good Doug Jones is as Saru, and how he reminds me a bit of Christopher Heyerdahl, and then Christopher Heyerdahl is actually in the same episode. That is pretty neat.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So if the entire galaxy has reverted to hyper-capitalism the Ferengi must be having a goddamn field day, huh? Like in the old order they were goofy capitalist Gremlins but they're a society that uses ponzi schemes as a handshake. Surely if scarcity is back on the table they're a major threat in this new world order.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My name is Cleveland Book-er
and I'm proud to be
in a brand new sector of the galaxy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean The Delta Flyers podcast is still going and Wang and McNeil are three episodes away from Threshold.