Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Tomberforce posted:

I should get into this discord marlarkey. I regged but haven't really used it much.

be warned it’s full of NoJoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
I am amending my earlier optimism to say that I just walked past a packed pub where outdoor tables were full of people with limited distancing and half of the patrons not wearing a mask over their face – which might be forgivable if they were directly in the middle of eating, but some of those tables were bare. Similar sights at lunch too, and those tables were right next to busy footpaths.

I don't think people have figured out that we didn't beat COVID. We halted its progress substantially, we starved it of new victims through distancing and masks, but it is still out there. It's honestly way too early to be out in masses like that, no matter how long it's been since you could sit down and enjoy a cold beer outside. I don't know how representative my south-eastern suburb is of wider behaviour, but I've ended the first day of Stage 3 or whatever this is thinking that a third wave is inevitable. The more you take these blackpills, the easier they are to swallow.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Tomberforce posted:

I should get into this discord marlarkey. I regged but haven't really used it much.

What's your discord username

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

I am amending my earlier optimism to say that I just walked past a packed pub where outdoor tables were full of people with limited distancing and half of the patrons not wearing a mask over their face – which might be forgivable if they were directly in the middle of eating, but some of those tables were bare. Similar sights at lunch too, and those tables were right next to busy footpaths.

I don't think people have figured out that we didn't beat COVID. We halted its progress substantially, we starved it of new victims through distancing and masks, but it is still out there. It's honestly way too early to be out in masses like that, no matter how long it's been since you could sit down and enjoy a cold beer outside. I don't know how representative my south-eastern suburb is of wider behaviour, but I've ended the first day of Stage 3 or whatever this is thinking that a third wave is inevitable. The more you take these blackpills, the easier they are to swallow.

What could possibly save us (assuming Victorian contact tracing may still be wonky) is that we really have got the numbers down low enough to stagger over the finishing line to elimination anyway, especially when you factor in other stuff like no huge crowds, mandatory masks (even if people are loving about with them) and most people still WFH.

Though I am frankly more worried about high schools, where kids spend 6 hours around each other indoors, than I am about al fresco dining. It was a huge red flag that the cluster we were all waiting on tenterhooks to hear about at the start of this week came from a school. Why did we open schools again so early? Surely "kids can't transmit it" has been consigned to the dustbin of April?

Either that or I'm catastrophising and contact tracing really has been brought up to scratch with NSW and we'll achieve a status quo of a low burn of cases and live a weird socially distanced limbo plexiglass life for the indefinite future and I won't see my family in WA for years, yiewww

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I would blow Deb Frecklington

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

freebooter posted:

What could possibly save us (assuming Victorian contact tracing may still be wonky) is that we really have got the numbers down low enough to stagger over the finishing line to elimination anyway, especially when you factor in other stuff like no huge crowds, mandatory masks (even if people are loving about with them) and most people still WFH.

Though I am frankly more worried about high schools, where kids spend 6 hours around each other indoors, than I am about al fresco dining. It was a huge red flag that the cluster we were all waiting on tenterhooks to hear about at the start of this week came from a school. Why did we open schools again so early? Surely "kids can't transmit it" has been consigned to the dustbin of April?

Either that or I'm catastrophising and contact tracing really has been brought up to scratch with NSW and we'll achieve a status quo of a low burn of cases and live a weird socially distanced limbo plexiglass life for the indefinite future and I won't see my family in WA for years, yiewww

I think schools had to open regardless. We might chew out CS but raising a family is stressful even at the best of times, especially if you have to look after their schooling and you have to work at the same time. It's not ideal, and will probably end up being a not-insubstantial factor when we have our retrospective on COVID, but even the threat of a plague might be outweighed by other things. I do wonder how teachers feel about going into work now. In other places where this plague is rampant I know they're pissed off and terrified, but I don't know if conditions here have made Melbourne educators a little less afraid.

Accidentally achieving elimination, strangely enough, does seem like a plausible future. Or maybe I'd like to think it's plausible.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think schools should be absolutely prioritised but it would have been a matter of weeks, I don't think that would have made a huge difference after months of online learning.

I have two acquaintances who are high school teachers and before the shutdown they both said it was just the usual chaos - absolutely no adherence to any attempted implementation of social distancing. Kids will be kids, teenagers will be teenagers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for September:

Die NSW Police Man!

or alternatively

Why NSW Guy?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

be warned it’s full of NoJoes

No it's not. Cmon birb.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah it's full of nojoes

no joe hildibrand

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah it's full of nojoes

no joe hildibrand

Never joe full hildeband.

Not even once.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

freebooter posted:

I have two acquaintances who are high school teachers and before the shutdown they both said it was just the usual chaos - absolutely no adherence to any attempted implementation of social distancing. Kids will be kids, teenagers will be teenagers.

Even if you manage to social distance at school, all bets are off when you've got 80 kids jammed into a 12 metre long school bus.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Basil lasted 1 week in the Perth mayor position before making GBS threads on trans people and the homeless

Way to go fuckhead

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

Accidentally achieving elimination, strangely enough, does seem like a plausible future. Or maybe I'd like to think it's plausible.

I'm crossing my fingers for this. The current low case levels and wide testing allow for strong contact tracing that means authorities can be on top of outbreaks as they happen. If that spread number can be kept below 1 then it's gonna burn itself out.

All that said, even in a state where it's been months without local transmission I'm still taking each day with the assumption it could be the last before we have to go back into lockdown.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

norp posted:

Basil lasted 1 week in the Perth mayor position before making GBS threads on trans people and the homeless

Way to go fuckhead

well he was making GBS threads on the homeless before being elected, so he didn't even last 1 week

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Senor Tron posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for this. The current low case levels and wide testing allow for strong contact tracing that means authorities can be on top of outbreaks as they happen. If that spread number can be kept below 1 then it's gonna burn itself out.

All that said, even in a state where it's been months without local transmission I'm still taking each day with the assumption it could be the last before we have to go back into lockdown.

If new cases can be identified quickly and if contact tracing is strong enough, I think we can achieve elimination. But there's still just enough time for mistakes, especially since there's been some concerns raised about Victoria's contact tracing.

Out of curiosity, and without judgement, do you mean that you've been enjoying the outside world as much as you can or just keeping quiet and only going out as little as possible? Because I get the former but I've been acting like the latter. I don't consider my caution a positive thing, especially since I'm increasingly worried we're a month out from a third wave with people just thinking it's this time last year but we're all in masks - and if I'm right, then why not go out while I still can?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Went for a walk and there were a lot of people in cafes... obeying the rules, but that's what worries me, because even a handful of tables of people in an enclosed space with maskless people chatting away and eating and drinking feels dangerous, regardless of what the rules say.

But I guess Sydney has been managing fine with this for months and I just have lockdown paranoia?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

Out of curiosity, and without judgement, do you mean that you've been enjoying the outside world as much as you can or just keeping quiet and only going out as little as possible? Because I get the former but I've been acting like the latter. I don't consider my caution a positive thing, especially since I'm increasingly worried we're a month out from a third wave with people just thinking it's this time last year but we're all in masks - and if I'm right, then why not go out while I still can?

Definitely the former, been going out more than I probably would have this time last year.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I lurk more than post here but I'd like to join the discord.

Also gently caress Basil. Dude's loving vermin like everyone associated with channel 7.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also gently caress Basil. Dude's loving vermin like everyone associated with channel 7.

If you have a specific story about him, PM me, I know some people who really want to launch a campaign against him.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

If you have a specific story about him, PM me, I know some people who really want to launch a campaign against him.

Sorry just lived here 30 years and seen/heard him be entitled hateful prat on tv/radio, nothing personal but I can ask around I know some people who might.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Wanna punch that fuckhead tbqh

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I too lurk here and would like to try out discord. I promise I'm housebroken.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The corrupt head of aus post just told the Prime Minister to get stuffed she’s not standing down lol what talk to my lawyers.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

The corrupt head of aus post just told the Prime Minister to get stuffed she’s not standing down lol what talk to my lawyers.
good

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

I only there were some kind of Independent Commission to deal with Corruption Federally that they could be referred to.

Ah, alas.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thankfully once auspost is privatised corruption will be a thing of the past.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Thankfully once auspost is privatised corruption will be a thing of the past.

quote:

A public transport executive has been caught on a phone tap telling a cleaning company he would "cover up" for them, after it emerged they had failed to spray down a Melbourne train at the start of the state's first coronavirus surge.

How good is subcontracting?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Pikehead posted:

I too lurk here and would like to try out discord. I promise I'm housebroken.

A Sometimes Food posted:

https://discord.gg/wbHxpv

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rad I'm Atomik to verify.

POSIX
Jul 19, 2003

Evil Banger

I too would like to lurk discord, as Posix!

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I am a pumpkin

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 29, 2020

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sierra Madre posted:

I think schools had to open regardless. We might chew out CS but raising a family is stressful even at the best of times, especially if you have to look after their schooling and you have to work at the same time. It's not ideal, and will probably end up being a not-insubstantial factor when we have our retrospective on COVID, but even the threat of a plague might be outweighed by other things. I do wonder how teachers feel about going into work now. In other places where this plague is rampant I know they're pissed off and terrified, but I don't know if conditions here have made Melbourne educators a little less afraid.

The important thing with schools is that the education system is potentially a big part of treating and minimising an outbreak. You teach the kids the processes for social actions required for limiting the spread (social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing, etc which significantly helps spread of such information through broader populations), coping mechanisms (for when relatives/friends get sick and die in numbers to help reduce long term child trauma) and to help with monitoring of child and family health (kids reporting to their teachers is one of the more effective feedback mechanism of what is going on in local families - especially in culturally diverse populations).

The West African Ebola outbreak originally started out with school lockdowns as the scale of the outbreak was being assessed but long before the outbreak was over, kids went back to school during a pandemic of a disease that killed a large (>30%) percentage of cases overall and very high in some vulnerable populations (no reported cases of pregnant mothers and unborn babies surviving Ebola in Sierra Leone). The kids didn't go back to school to help the economy or to give their parents a break, it was directly targeted at helping curb a horrific pandemic.

The kids weren't just sent back to schools as they were before the outbreak but information on what school administrators and teachers could do with available resources to both protect students and workers and achieve the goals listed above was provided. Available resources in these places was often quite limited (half of the schools do not have running water) to levels far below what is normally available to an Australian school.

Treating the Covid outbreak is not just a problem for nurses, doctors and the minister for health. I honestly believe a big cause of the Victorian outbreak was various public servants successfully minimizing anything to do with being involved with administering or taking urgent, risk based but low available information decisions. This is from the police who didn't want to police quarantine hospitals (but more than happy to organise the riot squad on BLM protests), transport authorities looking after airports and commuters etc as well as local councils and federal political government. It didn't end up with under-trained private guards holding back frustrated travelers because the public service weren't allowed to do it, they ended up with it because the public service didn't want anything to do with it or accountability for it and who took action wherever possible to push it away from them. CS goes off about Dan Andrews and ok he is ultimately responsible but it disappoints me that it looks like the NSW public service better served Berejiklian than the Victorian public service did for Andrews.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG8d4fbDyW4/?igshid=1j20hp57cynfs

Def saw a pic of baz with pupils the size of dinner plates on the rise balcony back in the day.. It was probably printed in x-press event pics

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NZ voted yes to euthanasia but no to legal weed. not that either has ever seriously been on the table here but I believe in the australian people to make the wrong decision on both counts if they do.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
WA and Victoria both have assisted dying laws now, and QLD Labor has committed to adopting similar laws if it wins the election tomorrow. not much chance of any liberalisation of weed laws beyond the ACT changes last year though i think yeah

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

lih posted:

WA and Victoria both have assisted dying laws now, and QLD Labor has committed to adopting similar laws if it wins the election tomorrow. not much chance of any liberalisation of weed laws beyond the ACT changes last year though i think yeah

It's so weird because I would think that way more people have used weed than killed themselves, so would want it passed.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

iajanus posted:

It's so weird because I would think that way more people have used weed than killed themselves, so would want it passed.

Yeah but those people are dirty dirty criminals, where as Boomers getting old are now realising it might be nice to die rather than be shoved in a home and get covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder how many old cunts that smoked regulary in the 60s/70s/80s voted no