Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Phoned it in tonight, literally.

:wtfdude:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

I cook pretty frequently and just never really learned roast chicken. This is 18hr brine, 18hr dry, 425 for 20 minutes then 350 for 1hr 40.

Came out okay! It was moist, which I attribute to the brine, but definitely didn't carry any of the herbaceous notes I stuffed in the brine. Skin was pretty good. I was expecting more drippings too - I couldn't make gravy!

Overall, it's basically what I wanted, but not worth the pain in the rear end of the preceding 36 hours. And trussing is something my brain just can't comprehend lol, despite Pepin's best efforts.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 29, 2020

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
no offense but your chicken looks small as hell lmao

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I fried oyster mushrooms for dinner.

No pictures after that but I used them for little fake poboys, with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. Very tasty, very heavy. Last night we had Kenji's black bean burgers so I feel like I'm catching up on all the classic Autumn fair foods that I missed out on this year.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I fried oyster mushrooms for dinner.

No pictures after that but I used them for little fake poboys, with a side of roasted brussels sprouts. Very tasty, very heavy. Last night we had Kenji's black bean burgers so I feel like I'm catching up on all the classic Autumn fair foods that I missed out on this year.

I wish I could get my hands on enough oyster mushrooms to fry them like that.

Good stuff

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've gotten really beautiful oyster mushrooms for a few weeks in a row now, they're amazing. I'd mostly been using them on pizzas.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I made Kenji's black bean burgers earlier this week and they make really good leftovers.

This one had long hots, muenster, sambal oelek, lettuce, and a very thin slice of onion that is invisible to the naked eye here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

toplitzin posted:

Phoned it in tonight, literally.

What's with the sad... chilli? in the corner?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

They've always thrown a little green turd in the box.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

toplitzin posted:

They've always thrown a little green turd in the box.

What are you supposed to do with it? Chop it up and add it to each slice as you go?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

In the past I've squeezed the vinegar/juice out over a slice.

Now if I want something acidic to cut they the grease I just get the bottle of Yellowbird or Secret Aardvark out of the fridge.

That reminds me, I'm out of Secret Aardvark.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Tiggum posted:

What are you supposed to do with it? Chop it up and add it to each slice as you go?

In my family my dad would give a dollar to whoever would eat the whole thing. Being smart children, we knew that if someone offered us a dollar to eat something, it was never worth it, so my dad got it everytime.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
It a pepperoncini aka banana pepper. You distribute its juice among the slices. Or crunch it on your favorite tooth for maximum flavor.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I like pepperonicinis. Will happily eat them whole. Never squeezed one on my pizza though. Never had Papa John’s either.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Char siu, one of the foods that make you think things might turn out ok.

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 30, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
The story on the pepper is that when CEO of Papa Johns Schnatter, worked at his fathers pub they gave them out there. Which if I had to guess was a ploy to sell more beer maybe? So, he just kept adding it when he opened his store. I like pepperonicinis and put them on my Italian sammy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Torquemada posted:

Char siu, one of the foods that make you think things might turn out ok.

How make? :swoon:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i loving love char siu, this is from the last time i made it a few months ago

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Drone posted:

How make? :swoon:

I cooked this mostly sous vide, which is probably not traditional. I think the Chinese generally boil pork for dishes like this until just cooked, then sauce and finish in an oven? We definitely have people in this thread who know more than me about it, anyway.

Skin some pork belly and save the skin for some other thing. If it has rib bones attached, remove and separate them. Cut the belly into thick lengths, as above.

You can buy char siu sauce almost anywhere, but it doesn’t really taste of much other than ‘sweet’ in my opinion, so use it as a base, and jack it up with five spice, dark soy, chinese cooking wine, salt and white pepper and some fresh garlic. You also want some sesame oil, and it’s common practice to add some red food dye, but you don’t need to. Use this goop to marinade the pork overnight (including the ribs).

Put everything into a sous vide bag and cook for 8 hours at 75C. Preheat an oven to around 210C. Cut a corner off the bag and pour the sauce-fat-juice into a saucepan and cook on low until it’s gooey enough to stick to meat, then paint the meat with it. Cook the belly for about an hour, turning twice and painting sauce on both times. Paint the ribs and add them to the oven for the last 20 minutes. Good with plain rice and chinese greens or broccoli.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kumba posted:

i loving love char siu, this is from the last time i made it a few months ago

Yeah I’m stuffed with it at the moment, and would happily eat some of yours rn

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
for the 'reddish' color i add a tablespoon of the reddish fermented bean paste like this stuff

i slow roast it in the oven and continually baste the sauce over it like every 5 minutes for the last half hour or so

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That red fermented tofu is key, also helps give it the right taste :allears:

It does work well in a kamado too, the added bit of smokyness works wonders

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made these sweet potato pan dumplings for dinner.

They're okay, but not terribly impressive. Mostly I felt they kinda tasted a bit flat, a lot of richness from the fat and butter and sweetness from the potato but not much else. I ended up putting a dash of lemon juice on them and that improved it for me. Any thoughts on how to add acidity to it without messing up the rest of it? I didn't use goat cheese because that poo poo's too expensive for a recipe I haven't tried before.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

greek yog instead of the cream cheese/goat cheese would prob work

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pork belly Burnt Ends, no boil Mac and cheese, green beans, way too loving salty baked beans.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Lamb daube, kind of.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Torquemada posted:

Lamb daube, kind of.

That's a type one on the Bristol chart.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cloks posted:

That's a type one on the Bristol chart.

Stew isn’t for the squeamish.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Skillet pot pie with cream biscuits. Only had dried thyme, but it came out really well and was super easy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gong Bao tofu

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I tried to make chicken cordon bleu last night. The flavor was great but the presentation was not fit for this world. My homemade breadcrumbs gave a weirdly grayish brown instead of golden brown color. And I think I rolled them too tight, because they definitely looked more like those taquitos that spin on the meat rollers at 7/11.

Yeah it looked kind of like that. Won’t pound the meat as thin next time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Taquitos Kiev sounds like a fun

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double posting with a carnitas bowl.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Saag?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Quick shepherd's pie. Just started making them recently but it's probably gonna be in the normal rotation.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No, it held up just fine.

saag paneer korma

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Meatballs, a low-effort meal after work.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Second attempt at hush puppies along with a burger.

Went a little too heavy on the vegetables in the hush puppies, but I was really happy with them. The first attempt was a couple of weeks ago and I made them way too large. I underestimated how much they'd puff up when frying. Corn, onion, celery, green onion, jalapeños, and a little bit of garlic are in there. The remoulade is homemade too; lots of mustard and horseradish.

Burger was pretty simple. Two 4oz patties with bacon, cheese, mustard, and sautéed onions, jalapeños, and garlic. I'm going to try making my own hamburger buns next time. Aiming for something a little wider so I can do some real lacy smashburgers.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It's been a bit of a day today... But at least taking the time to cook up a treat can make anyone feel better.

Today we ended up having ballotine of chicken, stuffed with brie and wrapped with serrano ham, pan fried in butter and then slowly simmered in a mustard, cream and vermouth sauce with spinach. Served up with green beans and asparagus, and some chunky triple cooked chips.