Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Loved this show and it also has the nicest fictional high school I've ever seen

Also Laid Back Camp is a super comfy show about outdoor camping (duh) and cooking

It's a real school :eng101:
Hiroshima Motomachi High School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's that time, what are some good spooky animes, preferably recentish, on the seinen side?

Saw Dorohedoro already :getin:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

grate deceiver posted:

It's that time, what are some good spooky animes, preferably recentish, on the seinen side?

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a great movie, and my favorite vampire anime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

grate deceiver posted:

Devilman Crybaby

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Both own, but I've seen them. I might have seen most well known and regarded stuff, so I'm looking for some hidden gems or super recent releases.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Alien Nine?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hakaba Kitarou (the 2008 one). It's the one that follows the manga closely and was just generally a pretty great time and genuinely moving at parts.

It also has a fantastic OP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Hakaba Kitarou (the 2008 one). It's the one that follows the manga closely and was just generally a pretty great time and genuinely moving at parts.

It also has a fantastic OP

This, Hakaba Kitaro ftw

Weedle
May 31, 2006

so i started watching jojo's bizarre adventure and the first episode gave me the impression of like, a whacked-out nightmare version of barry lyndon, about a rivalry between two foppish aristocrats where the camp and melodrama are ratcheted up 10000000%. it turns out that's pretty much just the prologue and it turns into a fantasy fighting anime instead, but are there any shows that are actually what i thought jojo was going to be based on that first episode? like a completely over-the-top costume drama, preferably with a similarly bonkers dub?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Weedle posted:

so i started watching jojo's bizarre adventure and the first episode gave me the impression of like, a whacked-out nightmare version of barry lyndon, about a rivalry between two foppish aristocrats where the camp and melodrama are ratcheted up 10000000%. it turns out that's pretty much just the prologue and it turns into a fantasy fighting anime instead, but are there any shows that are actually what i thought jojo was going to be based on that first episode? like a completely over-the-top costume drama, preferably with a similarly bonkers dub?

Kinda maybe Gintama in some ways?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Probably not what you're looking for, but if you like the idea of nobles loving each other over, Gankutsuou is basically The Count of Monte Cristo w/ Space Vampires.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Weedle posted:

Gintama is kinda this in spirit.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Probably not what you're looking for, but if you like the idea of nobles loving each other over, Gankutsuou is basically The Count of Monte Cristo w/ Space Vampires.

from reading the wikipedia article this actually sounds like it owns. i will also check out gintama. thank you friends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

code geass is the most camp theater drama anime ever made imo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Death Note is like that in some ways. Extremely overdramatic confrontation scenes and monologuing and whatnot. You might also like Gurren Lagann or Excel Saga?

Kamen Rider hits that pretty hard too, although it's live action rather than an anime.

EDIT: Or watch pretty much any Team Four Star abridged series.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 29, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Considering the success of Code Geass and Death Note, I'm honestly surprised more stories haven't tried to copy the Lelouch/Suzaku or Light/L dynamic. It's really fun! It's part of why I've been enjoying Talentless Nana.

Especially as part of a power fantasy isekai, which have also been popular lately.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there a show in the last 3 years that is like 100% worth watching? I sort of want to watch an anime show and I haven't in awhile.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a show in the last 3 years that is like 100% worth watching? I sort of want to watch an anime show and I haven't in awhile.

Zombieland Saga

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

SalTheBard posted:

I was about to say Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and March Comes In like a Lion but then realized they're both from 2016 and had a little moment of wondering where four years went.

But I'll still say absolutely watch those two if you haven't.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Are you looking for anything in particular?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju sounds right the gently caress up my alley thank you!

EDIT:

Still taking suggestions!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 30, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hunt11 posted:

Are you looking for anything in particular?

I'm genre neutral.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Dorohedoro, Demon Slayer, Dororo, Promised Neverland, High Score Girl, and Sword Art Online Alternative.

If you have a huge amount of nostalgia for mid 2000s cringey free form roleplaying Angels of Death, but I understand that is a very specific demo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Angels of Death #1 The synopsis is weird enough that it has my attention.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

SalTheBard posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju sounds right the gently caress up my alley thank you!

Enjoy! It's a really well-written drama and the voice acting is especially impressive with all the Rakugo performances.

The OPs and EDs are stylish as hell too, good jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K28Lcc-MdJs

This one is also a must-watch so long as you're OK with gore and body horror. I don't do so well with that stuff and had to watch it 1-2 episodes at a time, but it was worth it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
angels of death is a crummy anime adaptation of an rpgmaker game that fans of generally seem to think did a poor job adapting it iirc

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

angels of death is a crummy anime adaptation of an rpgmaker game that fans of generally seem to think did a poor job adapting it iirc

This show is weird. It might be a little too weird for me after all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's not good, but at least to me it captured a very specific sort of badly acted forum roleplay. Which as said is a very specific niche that might have been way better in the original. Or the original might have been conventionally good.

But yeah if you bounce off the rest of my suggestions are much more broadly good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SalTheBard posted:

Just shotgunning them here, but:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
A Place Further Than the Universe
Mob Psycho 100 s1 and s2
Kaguya Sama: Love is War
Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni)
Beastars
Dorohedoro
SSSS.Gridman
Asobi Asobase
Sarazanmai
Megalobox
Bloom Into You
Zombieland Saga
Yuru Camp
Devilman Crybaby
Planet With
Hinamatsuri
Flip Flappers
ACCA-13
March Comes in Like a Lion
Girls Last Tour
Konosuba

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ok Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is very much my jam. I'm already totally into this show. I did Forensics in high school and Rakugo very much makes me think of how I did Humorous Solo Extemporaneous performance.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
very shameful that Julias left Run With the Wind off his list

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beastars is one of my favorite shows ever made, highly recommend that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

very shameful that Julias left Run With the Wind off his list

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

was mob psycho less than a couple years ago? absolutely watch mob psycho if you haven't

also definitely dorohedoro if you can handle gore

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Does sketch comedy anime exist?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Eat The Rich posted:

Nichijou, and Nichibros (Daily lives of highschool boys)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

Pop Team Epic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

this very season there is maetatsu, which is a manzai show. that’s close enough to sketch. however is also not funny so don’t watch it.

you are better off watching gdgd fairies and tesagure baketsumono, which are 50% improv and 50% sketch comedy. see also seha hard girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Eat The Rich posted:

Osumatsu-San and Pop Team Epic both scratch that itch for me