Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Children and soldiers both love catchy songs with gruesome lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Children and soldiers both love catchy songs with gruesome lyrics.

You said the same thing twice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Did your version include "Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die" as the refrain?

Might have been some lyrical shifts over the years, since it's been around since WW II.

It was a "gruesome way to die" when I learned it in primary school in Australia.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

"Blood on the Risers" - still sung by the 82nd Airborne to this day. It's actually a cautionary tale about what'll happen to you if you don't do everything right.

I can still hear this cadence over a decade later, and I was never in the 82nd (just went to airborne school)

:gonk:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HopperUK posted:

We used to sing 'glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, suspended by your braces when you don't know how to fly, glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, he ain't gonna jump no more'

Braces being what Americans would call suspenders, not like, tooth braces.

Braces is probably a technical term from the air force, because Americans call suspenders suspenders.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Braces is probably a technical term from the air force, because Americans call suspenders suspenders.

That's what they were saying. Americans call them suspenders, everyone else calls them braces.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: wierdo oldetimey songs.

Though not as cool or weird as the song's mentioned, Australia's unofficial national anthem is about a homeless sheep thief who, when busted by the cops, commits suicide by jumping into a lake.

Oh, and whilst I can't find it, I read a recent article that claimed the 1895 poem from which the song takes it's lyrics was an anti-tax analogy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Better than the subject matter of the Star Spangled Banner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

We used to sing 'glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, suspended by your braces when you don't know how to fly, glory, glory what a hell of a way to die, he ain't gonna jump no more'

Braces being what Americans would call suspenders, not like, tooth braces.

"When you're hanging by your bollocks and your arse is in the sky", if you please.

It has to be remembered that in the early 80s plenty of kids were still learning World War 2 playground songs and soldier songs from their grandfathers who had served - and in some cases learned the same songs from their own fathers who had learned them in the Great War. And those kids would teach the other kids. Ones I still recall are He Jumped From 40,000 Feet, Hitler Only Had One Ball (TTTO Colonel Bogey), and Three German Officers, Mademoiselle From Armentieres and the Fart Song (all TTTO When Johnny Comes Marching Home).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Portuguese national anthem is an anti-British song created in protest of the latter colonizing a part of Africa we had dibs on after threatening us to back off, which eventually got people to shoot the king and get rid of the Monarchy. They just changed the word "British" to "cannons".

Catchy tune, though

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Oct 30, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

"When you're hanging by your bollocks and your arse is in the sky", if you please.

It has to be remembered that in the early 80s plenty of kids were still learning World War 2 playground songs and soldier songs from their grandfathers who had served - and in some cases learned the same songs from their own fathers who had learned them in the Great War. And those kids would teach the other kids. Ones I still recall are He Jumped From 40,000 Feet, Hitler Only Had One Ball (TTTO Colonel Bogey), and Three German Officers, Mademoiselle From Armentieres and the Fart Song (all TTTO When Johnny Comes Marching Home).

Wow I forgot all about Hitler Has Only Got One Ball. In your playground was it 'The other is in the Albert Hall' or the bit about some other Nazi having two, but very small?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Wow I forgot all about Hitler Has Only Got One Ball. In your playground was it 'The other is in the Albert Hall' or the bit about some other Nazi having two, but very small?

We had both versions. The most common version runs:

Hitler, he only has one ball
Göring has two, but very small
Himmler has something similar
And poor old Göbbels has no balls at all!

I read a book about Myths and Urban Legends of World War II in which a couple of pages were devoted to the song. It included an interview with Hitler's personal chauffeur, who said that he had in fact "glanced across" once during a roadside break and as far as he could tell, the Führer was made as other men.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

AceOfFlames posted:

The Portuguese national anthem is an anti-British song created in protest of the latter colonizing a part of Africa we had dibs on after threatening us to back off, which eventually got people to shoot the king and get rid of the Monarchy. They just changed the word "British" to "cannons".

Catchy tune, though

The French National Anthem is a bloodsoaked ode to killing in the name of France.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: wierdo oldetimey songs.

Though not as cool or weird as the song's mentioned, Australia's unofficial national anthem is about a homeless sheep thief who, when busted by the cops, commits suicide by jumping into a lake.

Oh, and whilst I can't find it, I read a recent article that claimed the 1895 poem from which the song takes it's lyrics was an anti-tax analogy.

The official Australian national anthem is You're The Voice by John Farhnam and I refuse to debate the matter.

It has aged perfectly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VanSandman posted:

The French National Anthem is a bloodsoaked ode to killing in the name of France.

This is most national anthems in a nutshell. Australia's is peaceful in comparison. (we're still founded on genocide)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is most national anthems in a nutshell. Australia's is peaceful in comparison. (we're still founded on genocide)

Is it true that even most Australians think their anthem is dull? I heard it in an Australian podcast (probably Do Go On).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AceOfFlames posted:

Is it true that even most Australians think their anthem is dull?
Yes, absolutely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australia's is just a description of Australia run through a thesaurus. The first verse is 'Australia's a young, democratic, pretty island nation' stretched out into six lines and using words that nobody actually used even when it was written.

The only part that hits weird is the line that implies that it's open to immigrants, because Australia's been racist for longer than it's been a country.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Oct 30, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Is it true that even most Australians think their anthem is dull? I heard it in an Australian podcast (probably Do Go On).
Back when I was in primary school we had to sing it once a week for seven years in the Monday morning assemblies. No matter how good it objectively was, I'd probably be pretty over it anyway after that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Australia's is just a description of Australia run through a thesaurus. The first verse is just 'Australia's a young, democratic, pretty island nation' stretched out into six lines and using words that nobody actually used even when it was written.

The only part that hits weird is the line that implies that it's open to immigrants, because Australia's been racist for longer than it's been a country.

I mean, the British looked at Georgia (founded as a penal colony and filled with people from debtor’s prisons) and said “let’s do it again, but bigger!”

So...you’re depressingly right :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

They meant white immigrants. :ssh:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I genuinely couldn't tell you how it went without googling it these days.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Something something something, "girt by sea."

Sums it up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That's what they were saying. Americans call them suspenders, everyone else calls them braces.

What does the rest of the world call the ones with the little metal clasps/teeth? Are those braces too?

In America if you go through the trouble of getting extra buttons sewn to your slacks then you're much more likely to call those braces. The ones that clamp are suspenders.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

El Fideo posted:

Something something something, "girt by sea."

Sums it up.

'Our home is girt by sea' is the worst line of them all (not only am I pretty sure 'girt' wasn't in use when it was written, but literally all it's saying is 'we're an island'), but it's also the only line everyone's guaranteed to remember.

I think that means we need a worse national anthem.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

AceOfFlames posted:

Its dull as poo poo, ignores the first nations utterly and fails to provide any sense of pride outside of "look how lucky we are!"

Actually, fits super well in media that does not age well as its very reflective of the 1980s when it was adopted. A predominantly white nation that was attempting to still maintain that identity despite the existence of the indigenous people and the multiple waves of immigration that had occurred and continued to occur. It also has that pro British angle still with mentioning of the commonwealth and zero reference to the convict history which was another bane of the British colonial times.

Waltzing Matilda isnt really an appropriate anthem either really but its subject matter is very culturally relevant with the injustices and wealth/power disparigy of the 19th century.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What does the rest of the world call the ones with the little metal clasps/teeth? Are those braces too?
Yes. Until just now I wasn't aware of any other kind.

Nutsngum posted:

Waltzing Matilda isnt really an appropriate anthem either really but its subject matter is very culturally relevant with the injustices and wealth/power disparigy of the 19th century.
I Am Australian would be a good option, but no Australian government could ever propose that without coming across as monumentally hypocritical.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I was always a fan of this revision:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobSMcB-nMA

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

Its dull as poo poo, ignores the first nations utterly and fails to provide any sense of pride outside of "look how lucky we are!"

Actually, fits super well in media that does not age well as its very reflective of the 1980s when it was adopted. A predominantly white nation that was attempting to still maintain that identity despite the existence of the indigenous people and the multiple waves of immigration that had occurred and continued to occur. It also has that pro British angle still with mentioning of the commonwealth and zero reference to the convict history which was another bane of the British colonial times.

Yup, it's also musically exceptionally dull. I don't think there's any other country with a european-scale music tradition that's as boring (I mean, it somehow managed to be less interesting than God Save the Queen). Up until this minute I really thought it'd been written and/or chosen by a committee but apparently it was composed in 1878 (which made it a truly relevant choice), and chosen on the basis of a public opinion poll taken in 1977, 15 years before the invention of the web, which explains why the anthem is not "Boaty McBoatface".

Also you forgot to add ", and the 20th and 21st centuries" to your sentence there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thepopmonster posted:

a public opinion poll taken in 1977, 15 years before the invention of the web, which explains why the anthem is not "Boaty McBoatface".
The new Australian National Anthem.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I personally prefer the Men at Work and their classical selection better.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The Australian national anthem is based on a five verse poem, but it only uses two of the verses. I wonder wh--

Peter Dodds McCormick posted:

From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.
Oh.

Britannia then shall surely know
Though oceans roll between
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green
Ohhh.

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er
True British courage bore him on
Til he landed on our shore
Then here he raised old England's flag
The standard of the brave
With all her faults we love her still
Britannia rules the wave
Peter, please.

And apparently the line about having boundless plains to share was originally directed at "loyal sons beyond the sea", not just "those who've come across the sea". They should have kept that; it's way more accurate.

The only positive thing about the national anthem is that at least it's not just literally the UK anthem anymore.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shwoo posted:

The Australian national anthem is based on a five verse poem, but it only uses two of the verses. I wonder wh--

Oh.

Ohhh.

Peter, please.

And apparently the line about having boundless plains to share was originally directed at "loyal sons beyond the sea", not just "those who've come across the sea". They should have kept that; it's way more accurate.

The only positive thing about the national anthem is that at least it's not just literally the UK anthem anymore.

Well we did change "Australian sons" to "Australians all". So that makes Australia the most feministest country ever!

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well we did change "Australian sons" to "Australians all". So that makes Australia the most feministest country ever!

Dame Edna, feminist icon.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Ones I still recall are He Jumped From 40,000 Feet, Hitler Only Had One Ball (TTTO Colonel Bogey), and Three German Officers, Mademoiselle From Armentieres and the Fart Song (all TTTO When Johnny Comes Marching Home).

Let's not forget the lyrical chronicling of the many and varied crimes against humanity that took place at the German Nick.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think the prime example of "not having aged well" is the Deutschlandlied. The first stanza describes borders that are rather more expansive than modern Germany, the second is about how great German women and alcohol are…

There's a reason why the national anthem is only the third stanza, but that one is just jerking it to "unity", "justice", and "freedom" without actually saying anything of substance.

East Germany had a much better anthem, but I guess it was politically impossible to adopt it after reunification, especially considering how much of it rung not a little hollow.

Starting your post-ww2 anthem with "Risen from the ashes" is quite the statement though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Florida's state song, Old Folks at Home, is a minstrel song originally performed in blackface written by a man who had never been to Florida, but used the name of one of our rivers because it would fit the pace of his song about how slaves miss their plantations.
Oh it only fits the pace if you say the river wrong because as I said, he never actually went to Florida. In the song it's sung "Swanee" but the river is Suwanee.

But don't worry they revised the lyrics so instead of darkies they say brothers now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Humerus posted:

Florida's state song, Old Folks at Home,

Thats too on the nose

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Meanwhile my coutnry's Anthem (The Netherlands) is all about some german guy and how much we hate the spanish.

(I know its more complicated than that and involved revolutions and a war that lasted 80 years. But its just such a silly song.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm watching part 2 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since it gets fawned about pretty regularly and it sure was weird when Jojo took a moment from a life and death struggle to appreciate a Nazi. And then in the next few episodes, there was another Nazi the characters were sympathizing with.