Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Tenant question:

My wife and I just moved out of a furnished property in the Midlands we'd been renting for two years after the landlord evicted us in order to sell it. She wrote the lease as a House Share Agreement that states that "there is no intention on behalf of the Landlord or the Sharer to create a full tenancy and as such the Agreement is regulated as a licence." We initially shared the house with her, but over time she spent more and more time at her boyfriend's place until she'd effectively moved out.

She's generally been a poo poo landlord the whole time we were there, rarely responding to texts and neglecting basic fixes we'd requested for months. When she did fix things, she did it herself on the cheap and often things broke again or got worse as a result. We tolerated this, though, because our rent was low and we only had to put down a £300 deposit. We took really good care of the place and didn't make a fuss about the eviction, noting to her some minor damage to a wall and a door that went beyond normal wear and tear.

Now she's come back with a bullshit list of costs that she's taking out of our deposit including £60 to clean an oven (it was disgusting when we moved in, and we cleaned it pretty regularly, but there's only so much you can do), and over £100 to replace pots and pans, and £90 to replace an old vacuum that was so poo poo when we moved in that we used it a handful of times before buying our own. We didn't do a walkthrough when we moved in, and she didn't take pictures of anything to our knowledge when we moved in, and now she's sending us pictures of stuff that was already well worn when we moved in and claiming it's beyond fair wear and tear.

My wife and I are new to tenancy laws here, so what can we do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenhatherley/status/1322137288256720897?s=20

lmao this is so true. How does Starmer now justify having a starring role in a government-in-waiting that apparently posed such an existential threat to British Jews?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

My own mental health has improved a lot since dropping SA and twitter from my reading rotation. Checking back in because of Corbyns suspension just brings all the rage and misery flooding back. Solidarity to everyone, here's my attempt to cheer the thread up- a dead blog from the before time: https://bestofnanowrimo.tumblr.com/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

MeinPanzer posted:

Tenant question:

My wife and I just moved out of a furnished property in the Midlands we'd been renting for two years after the landlord evicted us in order to sell it. She wrote the lease as a House Share Agreement that states that "there is no intention on behalf of the Landlord or the Sharer to create a full tenancy and as such the Agreement is regulated as a licence." We initially shared the house with her, but over time she spent more and more time at her boyfriend's place until she'd effectively moved out.

She's generally been a poo poo landlord the whole time we were there, rarely responding to texts and neglecting basic fixes we'd requested for months. When she did fix things, she did it herself on the cheap and often things broke again or got worse as a result. We tolerated this, though, because our rent was low and we only had to put down a £300 deposit. We took really good care of the place and didn't make a fuss about the eviction, noting to her some minor damage to a wall and a door that went beyond normal wear and tear.

Now she's come back with a bullshit list of costs that she's taking out of our deposit including £60 to clean an oven (it was disgusting when we moved in, and we cleaned it pretty regularly, but there's only so much you can do), and over £100 to replace pots and pans, and £90 to replace an old vacuum that was so poo poo when we moved in that we used it a handful of times before buying our own. We didn't do a walkthrough when we moved in, and she didn't take pictures of anything to our knowledge when we moved in, and now she's sending us pictures of stuff that was already well worn when we moved in and claiming it's beyond fair wear and tear.

Did you take pictures when you moved in?
Was your deposit held in a deposit scheme?

Landlords will often try and bluff their way with charges because they know most tenants will fold. If you aren't desperate for the money back straight away you can fight it. If it's held as it should be in the deposit scheme, she can't touch it until you both agree on the final deductions.

From personal experience I argued with one of my landlords for about a month over bullshit charges, told them I was fully happy to take the dispute through the tenant deposit scheme and they backed down.
Another they folded after the first email disputing the claims.

quote:

We didn't do a walkthrough when we moved in, and she didn't take pictures of anything to our knowledge when we moved in

For future (and anyone reading this) always insist on a walk through and have the recorded state of the property amended for anything you find. Even if you have an honest landlord (lol) there will always be stuff not listed and it will be you paying for it when you move out. And it should be you photographing everything, not relying on them . I used to take some 20-50 photos whenever I moved into a place, takes 20 minutes but can save you hundreds of £ when you move out and the landlord decides to try and shaft you.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 30, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MeinPanzer posted:

effectively moved out
Had she, or hadn't she? A tenancy agreement is defined by exclusive possession, not by the label attached by the parties. Exclusive possession is defined as the right to exclude all others, including the landlord, which kinda sounds like a circular definition but essentially she can't claim some bullshit reason why she was still entitled to be there, if she had actually moved out there's a good chance you were actually tenants in the eyes of the law. If that's the case, a court might decide to gently caress her over, but it's a complex issue so you need advice (Shelter is the default recommendation). And, since she's saying you're licensees, your deposit won't be protected so you'll need to sue to get anything done. It's gonna be a hard fight.

Unrelated, re mental health chat but not within the context of that discussion: I've been on jury service this week, obviously I can't talk about it but jfc this poo poo is horrific, I am on the verge of a complete breakdown & there is literally nothing I can do about it. Argh

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Tenant question:

This guidance from Shelter may help: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/lodgers. There is a tenancy rights checker tool on there which you can use. It sounds like you were lodgers. I would check Shelter's guidance and probably go back to her disputing the costs and setting out your reasons in writing. Then see what she comes back with, and threatening to take her to small claims court if she still won't give back the deposit.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MrBreakspear/status/1321418154074083336

Those drat jewish puppetmasters am I right

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Also, if she didn't put the deposit in a proper protection scheme, that's illegal now (which is something I wish I'd known 7 years ago when I got ripped off by a dodgy student landlord).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s only anti-Semitism if it comes from the left

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
lil update on my post in the spring about how kier starmer was ruining my marriage

we're in couples' therapy working on our communication and we're doing well. we also both left the labour party yesterday, which i view as a great step forward for our relationship. thank you to everyone in this thread who offered genuine advice, and thank you also to starmer for bringing us back together lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

wot about those monster munch though eh??!?!

aaaargh chocolate orange uuuuuurrrrgh fight u!!!!!!

I would totally try chocolate orange flavoured monster munch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at this and all its helpful links

http://whydopeoplehatenewlabour.com/all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tory MP confirming here that tory MPs want you to die

https://twitter.com/RobertSyms/status/1322150275591921667?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Noxville posted:

It’s only anti-Semitism if it comes from the left

Otherwise it's just sparkling hatred.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

It's got Jacqui Smith sacking Nutt but misses out Alan Johnson passing literally illegal legislation (with no veterinarian on the ACMD because they resigned in disgust) due to a made up story in the Sun.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there's a guy outside one of the houses opposite mine who's spent the last 15 minutes screaming at whoever's inside and is now just sitting on the doorstep

like normally I would never call the pigs on a guy who's clearly got mental health problems but I know for a fact there's someone inside (saw the blinds move) and this must be pretty unpleasant for them

so should I call the police or just ignore them?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Also, if she didn't put the deposit in a proper protection scheme, that's illegal now (which is something I wish I'd known 7 years ago when I got ripped off by a dodgy student landlord).

Not if they were lodgers, which they probably were if she was living there as well.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Occasionally when I see some news about politics these days I check the UKMT to see what's going on because you tend to break it down well. Naturally, when Corbyn gets purged, I had a look over here to see what the gently caress is going on in Labour and a few people are asking where I am so they can give me a fair piece of their mind.

You're right, I was an idiot to think the lawyer guy would be any more moral than the filthiest right wing realpolitik. I regret my decision, and I've been nothing but a oval office for some time. I was completely broken by 2019 and rather than respond with the solidarity shown here, I've mostly checked out. I'm tired of having the same conversation with people who have everything morally right and nowhere to put it.

Also one poster did frequently hammer the point in that I completely misevaluated the threat of Covid at the start of this year and I want to mention I was wrong there, too.

I am everything you say I am: an idiot, a oval office, a lovely cartoonist.

There's nothing I can do to absolve myself but I just thought I'd let you know I'm not totally gone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

there's a guy outside one of the houses opposite mine who's spent the last 15 minutes screaming at whoever's inside and is now just sitting on the doorstep

like normally I would never call the pigs on a guy who's clearly got mental health problems but I know for a fact there's someone inside (saw the blinds move) and this must be pretty unpleasant for them

The cops will likely make things much worse so probably not.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We'd just moved to the UK when we moved into this place and we were desperate to find something. We've written back to the landlord with a reasonable point-by-point response, so we'll see what she says.

quote:

This guidance from Shelter may help: https://england.shelter.org.uk/hous...renting/lodgers. There is a tenancy rights checker tool on there which you can use. It sounds like you were lodgers. I would check Shelter's guidance and probably go back to her disputing the costs and setting out your reasons in writing. Then see what she comes back with, and threatening to take her to small claims court if she still won't give back the deposit.

It sounds like legally we're lodgers with a licence agreement, but google searchers provide ambiguous results when it comes to our legal rights surrounding a damage deposit. If we didn't have exclusive access to the property, and thus never had an official tenancy, does that mean we have no legal right to challenge her keeping the deposit?

Mega Comrade posted:

Did you take pictures when you moved in?

No, because we didn't do a walk through with pictures taken. My wife and I are Canadian and the tenancy laws we've always lived under stipulate that if you don't do a walk through, the landlord can't hold you responsible for wear and tear. Is the legal onus not on the landlord to demonstrate the state of the property before a tenant moves in, for comparative purposes?

quote:

Was your deposit held in a deposit scheme?

I don't think so, since we just gave her a cheque for the amount. Does this give us any legal standing?

quote:

Had she, or hadn't she? A tenancy agreement is defined by exclusive possession, not by the label attached by the parties. Exclusive possession is defined as the right to exclude all others, including the landlord, which kinda sounds like a circular definition but essentially she can't claim some bullshit reason why she was still entitled to be there, if she had actually moved out there's a good chance you were actually tenants in the eyes of the law.

For the last year she's kept a bedroom in the house but hasn't been living there and only returned to pick things up or drop them off in storage once every 2-3 months. She hasn't been using the property in any other way but did keep a set of keys.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Occasionally when I see some news about politics these days I check the UKMT to see what's going on because you tend to break it down well. Naturally, when Corbyn gets purged, I had a look over here to see what the gently caress is going on in Labour and a few people are asking where I am so they can give me a fair piece of their mind.

You're right, I was an idiot to think the lawyer guy would be any more moral than the filthiest right wing realpolitik. I regret my decision, and I've been nothing but a oval office for some time. I was completely broken by 2019 and rather than respond with the solidarity shown here, I've mostly checked out. I'm tired of having the same conversation with people who have everything morally right and nowhere to put it.

Also one poster did frequently hammer the point in that I completely misevaluated the threat of Covid at the start of this year and I want to mention I was wrong there, too.

There's nothing I can do to absolve myself but I just thought I'd let you know I'm not totally gone.

You're alright, come back and do more cartoons. Everyone fucks up, as can by seen by the number of people in here who voted for Nick Clegg. Good job owning it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

Unless someone is physically being threatened don't call the filth

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

tory MP confirming here that tory MPs want you to die

https://twitter.com/RobertSyms/status/1322150275591921667?s=20

Thats my MP and hes an absolute turd.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

That site is like opening a mouldy box in the attic and finding all your old footy stickers except instead of a slightly torn Mark Beeney and 16 Chris Armstrongs its some of the worst people in the world

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is every poster in UKMT a medieval flagellant?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Growth is good. Tesseraction actually voted for Brexit and he's still a decent poster. Just take this humility into your future posting career and few people will think you're a oval office

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

You're alright, come back and do more cartoons. Everyone fucks up, as can by seen by the number of people in here who voted for Nick Clegg. Good job owning it.
I mean the alternative would have been either David Cameron (who hosed a dead pig) or

Communist Thoughts posted:

Don't kinkshame.

e: ^^ And in that case it was a choice between an openly white supremacist political union that runs the deadliest border in the world putting Trump to shame or Nigel Farage's wet dream.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not talking about growth here. What I mean by "checked out" and "I am a oval office" is that I've become that much despised "I don't do politics" figure. I'm totally broken, done, just going to try and make life work in ways that are actually available to me. I mainly come here just to understand the headlines I see because it's still curious sometimes, but I don't possess the bravery to actually fight any more.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm early modern era, but yes.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Azza, p much all of us liked your cartoons, a few didn't but I think a lot of people retrofitted their views and/or lashed out because they/we are so loving angry and hurt at the endless betrayals.

You're alright mate, come back & post imo

Julio Cruz posted:

Call some kindly big lads & have a friendly & helpful chat with him, guide him away from your neighbour to get some help

None of the words in that sentence were euphemisms, I actually mean help them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Growth is good. Tesseraction actually voted for Brexit and he's still a decent poster. Just take this humility into your future posting career and few people will think you're a oval office

idk about that he's turning into a liberal

anyway starmer has properly hosed this up by suspending corbyn to appease journalists instead of just moving on lol

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1322136203651616773?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not talking about growth here. What I mean by "checked out" and "I am a oval office" is that I've become that much despised "I don't do politics" figure. I'm totally broken, done, just going to try and make life work in ways that are actually available to me. I mainly come here just to understand the headlines I see because it's still curious sometimes, but I don't possess the bravery to actually fight any more.

That's cool too. I'm still broken by the 2019 result and everything since has just caused more pain. I'm not fighting poo poo at the moment beyond arguing online and I think that's ok, for now.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Since we've been doing mental health check ins I gotta say I'm almost unsettled by how not bad mine has been. Sad but true but my life has changed exceedingly little since COVID started.

I dunno, the antidepressants work wonderful for me. Side effects are grim mind but worth it. So I mostly just get kicks from Twitter rather than getting mad at it. After a decade my follow list is pretty well curated to not drive me miserable. Deffo helps to do the detached irony bit.

It also happens to be easier to not be driven to misery when you've accepted you're already at rock bottom so I don't necessarily recommend it

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 30, 2020

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Starmer presented with the most autopilot opposition and subsequent coronation in history and just sits there hammering his balls into the floorboards

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i thought the cartoons were nice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol number of labour party resignations is so high the team can't handle it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

For what it's worth, I liked you just fine and am glad you're still around. :) We all make mistakes sometimes.

Edit: I too am Team Early Modern, Levellers were rad and it's the only time we were a Republic. Bring back the Commonwealth imo, though maybe with a bit less oppressing the Irish.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 30, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lol a rt of this did make it onto my feed and I unfollowed the ‘historian’ who rt’d it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Azza Bamboo posted:

I enjoyed your cartoons- especially the lib dem bird landing on the tory tree. I also think the anger some posters had in here isn't well founded and comes from lashing out. We were all looking for answers in 2019 and we're doing the same now. Keep posting :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

as not enough of you post in the gbs uk chat thread i'm bringing this in here because food chat is what the thread needs rn

Jose posted:

are bolognese chips really only a newcastle thing?

https://vittles.substack.com/p/the-hyper-regional-chippy-traditions