Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Assassin has thief move built in. Not terrain res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Doesn't terrain resistance also make it so your move is not reduced by like sand and trees or is that a different ability?
if it did i wouldn't have called it useless.

no ability does that, it's just tied to classes.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rimusutera posted:

Assassin has thief move built in. Not terrain res.

They should have made that a named skill.

As for Holy Knights, I've used one in every run. My favorite is still Marianne from my first run who was a Holy Knight, a Dark Knight and a Gremory but stayed HK for endgame because it looked cool. Because my criteria for a good class in FE is if it looks good.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Rimusutera posted:

White Magic Line rework ideas:

Priest gives Heal+10 or something as an assignable skill or Miracle. Miracle is very silly in a game with Divine Pulse though.
Bishop either gives Heal+10/insert better number if Priest gives Miracle or something else thats whatever. Hell maybe Terrain Resistence. Maybe Renewal.
War Monk is in the base game, is axe focused, and gives Renewal on mastery if Bishop doesn't or something useful. Idk. Its a weird side pick up for really tanky Fortress Knight builds now.
Holy Knight is a master class and is mostly as is minus Terrain Resistence for ???. You grind out Priest or Bishop if you want more effective healing, or just enjoy a tanky paladin that maybe has some healing access.

Insert a bunch of other changes that properly fix the ramifications of my madness here.

I like that War Monk is fist focused but I think Unarmed Combat is real dumb as it is now. I think what I would do is make Unarmed Combat a magic attack, like a 0 might Aura Knuckles. They'd probably have to give Brawler and Grappler something else though because it wouldn't be thematically appropriate for them to get the magic attack.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Genovera posted:

I like that War Monk is fist focused but I think Unarmed Combat is real dumb as it is now. I think what I would do is make Unarmed Combat a magic attack, like a 0 might Aura Knuckles. They'd probably have to give Brawler and Grappler something else though because it wouldn't be thematically appropriate for them to get the magic attack.

The most reasonable upgrade for Unarmed Combat is to let you use combat arts with it. Even then, it still would be a weak ability.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Drain the durability of your actual fists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Drain the durability of your actual fists.

Ashita No Joe durability system where you burn everything up, until there is nothing left...all that's left is pure white ash.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm kind of surprised that so many people aren't fans of the flexibility in the class system. It's been a huge draw for me to replay the game.

I almost wish there were MORE flexibility. Like, you can technically have a unit be proficient in any weapon you want in any class you want, but you have to get that skill up to S+, which is super hard. I kind of wish they had made it a lower floor to get to the equipible -faire skills.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, 3H's hits a rare niche of gameplay and story being compelling enough for me to reply it constantly. Changing it to something more classic and I would have struggled to get an even amount of CF to non-CF runs. Being able to do increasingly stupid gimmick runs is a lot of the fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm a fan of the flexible system. In another more restricted fire emblem game Leonie wouldn't be allowed to be a swordmaster and I'd never discover any of the insanely dumb poo poo that I did. Being able to experiment and come up with broken stuff is a tonne of fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I enjoyed my time with 3 Houses. I'm sure I'll play it again but I put over 200 hours into it and haven't done the DLC or Silver Snow yet but right now I'm burnt out on it.

I vastly prefer the class system in Fates. Everyone gets 2 classes and you can marry someone and be besties with someone to get 2 more. Also I can play the game in less than a dozen hours giving me much more replay value.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've dumped over twice the number of hours into 3H than I did with Awakening and that pretty much thanks to the multiple stories and build flexibility.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I got 150~ hours in the game (and still not done with this run) but that's just off the back of me liking it's story. The class system doesn't add anything, and in many ways it's more a hindrance with how it's ruined and or gender locked classes I normally like using.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Eimi posted:

I got 150~ hours in the game (and still not done with this run) but that's just off the back of me liking it's story. The class system doesn't add anything, and in many ways it's more a hindrance with how it's ruined and or gender locked classes I normally like using.

THIS

As much as I like the class system, I definitely do not like the gender locks. Dark Mage/Bishop seems especially poorly thought out, but in general it's just not fun that, even with the flexibility to do almost anything you want, they just arbitrarily made some classes unavailable to some characters.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a fan of the flexible system. In another more restricted fire emblem game Leonie wouldn't be allowed to be a swordmaster and I'd never discover any of the insanely dumb poo poo that I did. Being able to experiment and come up with broken stuff is a tonne of fun.

I'm having a great time with making Leonie a thief then trickster this time, she's monstrous. A+

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The gender locks are the worse.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Eimi posted:

This.

Also I think it’s negatively affected map design. It can be a lot more tight, especially in early game, when the designers can know what types of units the player probably has.

It also adds more character to units when they have set classes imo. Especially when I compare it to say, Tellius.

Mia is a Mrymidon. Soren is a Mage. Rhys is a Priest. Oscar is a Cavalier. Nephenee is a Solider.

This is their role in the team and none of them are screwed out of promotions or endgame usefulness by their gender.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

hopeandjoy posted:

This.

Also I think it’s negatively affected map design. It can be a lot more tight, especially in early game, when the designers can know what types of units the player probably has.

It also adds more character to units when they have set classes imo. Especially when I compare it to say, Tellius.

Mia is a Mrymidon. Soren is a Mage. Rhys is a Priest. Oscar is a Cavalier. Nephenee is a Solider.

This is their role in the team and none of them are screwed out of promotions or endgame usefulness by their gender.

Yup and I mean it's how I think of my favorite units in 3h, they're very set. Like sure Ferdinand goes Brigand to pick up Death Blow but that's entirely because the game lets me and Death Blow is Overpowered. At the end of the day, he's a Cavalier/Paladin to me. Hubert is a mage. Bernie is an archer. And hell I can't even do what I could in other games and let Ferdie swing his axe on horseback because Great Knight is so insanely restrictive to get into. (And also really really really bad in this game.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you could just give him an axe. you don't need axefaire

also ferdie is built for great knight he has literally all the exact boons for it, let him be one!!!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie is built to be a dancer :colbert:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ferdinand von Aegir? More like Ferdinand von War Master!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My Ferdi is a trickster this playthrough, and he's great.

Also, I love how the only person to comment on how creepy the hero's relics are is Hilda. :allears:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I love how the only person to comment on how creepy the hero's relics are is Hilda. :allears:

I happened to zoom in on Miklan this time and noticed how much the Lance of Ruin... twitches :whitewater:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

eating only apples posted:

I happened to zoom in on Miklan this time and noticed how much the Lance of Ruin... twitches :whitewater:
I think the only other relic to do that is Aymr. All the other relics just glow like they have built-in neon lights. Which gets a little silly with Failnaught, as the glow effect also extends to its arrowheads, meaning Claude effectively is firing tracer rounds.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Even as someone who suffered through Crimson Flower Endgame with Great Knight Ferdie and Sylvaine, I dont think Great Knight is actually that bad of a class. Honestly people really overstate how "bad" some of the classes are, a lot are viable especially if you mess with the systems enough. Thats the fun of the whole mess. I think there's an attitude of "doesn't literally fly+canto like Wyvern Lord, so you shouldn't ever use it" and while I'll knock on about whats suboptimal sometimes at the end of the day you dont have to play that way to have fun. Especially if you're not playing Maddening.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

eating only apples posted:

I'm having a great time with making Leonie a thief then trickster this time, she's monstrous. A+

I sent Leonie up through Mage, Warlock, Valkyrie, and now Dark Knight this game, and while not an overwhelming powerhouse, she's surprisingly effective. Leonie can do everything.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Which is hilarious, because the Deer's jack-of-all-stats character is intended to be Lorenz.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Inu posted:

I sent Leonie up through Mage, Warlock, Valkyrie, and now Dark Knight this game, and while not an overwhelming powerhouse, she's surprisingly effective. Leonie can do everything.

Yeah she has a lovely Faith list, so I thought a magic-using sword class would work well enough and she's the best dodge tank even when Ferdie is around.

I've crippled Bernie though. She has a decent Reason set so I've put her through Mage for Fiendish Blow and then straight into Valkyrie. It didn't work, it didn't offset her awful magic growth and just ruined her strength so she's just average with both magic and bows, the only benefit is that she has the range bonus and can canto out of danger because she's squishy as gently caress. Worthless. Unmarriageable. Sorry Bernie.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I was wondering something. Are the units with heavy armor and low movement more relevant in harder difficulty modes? Unless you use tricks like Warp or move your units very little each turn they just can't keep up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mizuti posted:

I was wondering something. Are the units with heavy armor and low movement more relevant in harder difficulty modes? Unless you use tricks like Warp or move your units very little each turn they just can't keep up.

They're worse in the harder difficulties if anything.

Relics of some compounding design decisions Intsys has been sticking to for decades where armor units have to pay for slightly above average defense with crippled mov, speed, resistance and a weakness to special weapon types. They're basically the designated class for early game bosses

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Mizuti posted:

if you mean player units then no they're not very good. for a number of mechanical reasons that are somewhat peculiar to 3h, speed is close to the most important stat in maddening. it is super good for offense (allowing you to double); and it is super good for defense (preventing enemy doubling and raising avoid). both are really important for your basic ability to survive and to clear maps. avoid alone is in fact probably a more useful defensive stat than defense because of how vertiginous the scaling is for enemy speed and attack power.

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
On one hand they are useless, on the other hand Dorothea in her default clothes tanking four 0 damage attacks from enemy brawlers was pretty hilarious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think y'all are just wrong and tanking is good on maddening actually

I mean, you could forgo it and set up your team to stride and warpskip every chapter but you don't have to. Maddening isn't so impossible that you need to do that. Fortress knights, backed up with defensive battalions and silver shields, will genuinely reach high enough levels of protection to be very useful in holding off an approaching enemy horde on maddening which really no other kind of units can do.

Especially since their major disadvantage, low speed, kind of gets irrelevant on maddening because enemy speed is so high it doesn't matter if your guy has average speed or low speed, they're getting doubled anyway.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 30, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zore posted:

Relics of some compounding design decisions Intsys has been sticking to for decades where armor units have to pay for slightly above average defense with crippled mov, speed, resistance and a weakness to special weapon types. They're basically the designated class for early game bosses

I mean, they're not great, but this is an exaggeration. They get a significant defense boost (+4 for armor knights, +10 for fortress knights; the tankiest non-armor class is the tier 4 wyvern lord who gets +3), and no resistance penalty outside of -5 to growths for the intermediate armor knight. They also get the biggest boost to HP and defensive growth rates. A fortress knight innately has 40 HP and 27 defense off base stats and bonuses alone. The reason you think they have crippled resistance is that every default candidate who isn't Edelgard has poo poo resistance. That's not a limitation of the class so much as one of peeps like Dedue and Raphael.

They do get poo poo move and speed; no argument there, but as mentioned above, the speed penalty only matters in cases where it is the deciding factor in getting doubled.

I maintain that the best armor knight would be someone with solid defense and good resistance, like Edelgard or Lorenz. I used the former on my first playthrough and she was totally invincible, but I'll probably never verify the latter, because it involves investing in Lorenz.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, they're not great, but this is an exaggeration. They get a significant defense boost (+4 for armor knights, +10 for fortress knights; the tankiest non-armor class is the tier 4 wyvern lord who gets +3), and no resistance penalty outside of -5 to growths for the intermediate armor knight. They also get the biggest boost to HP and defensive growth rates. A fortress knight innately has 40 HP and 27 defense off base stats and bonuses alone. The reason you think they have crippled resistance is that every default candidate who isn't Edelgard has poo poo resistance. That's not a limitation of the class so much as one of peeps like Dedue and Raphael.

They do get poo poo move and speed; no argument there, but as mentioned above, the speed penalty only matters in cases where it is the deciding factor in getting doubled.

I maintain that the best armor knight would be someone with solid defense and good resistance, like Edelgard or Lorenz. I used the former on my first playthrough and she was totally invincible, but I'll probably never verify the latter, because it involves investing in Lorenz.

Or try Linhardt! Sure he's fighting against ax bane but he's got 30 DEF growth for some reason and a top-class RES.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I mean, you could forgo it and set up your team to stride and warpskip every chapter but you don't have to. Maddening isn't so impossible that you need to do that. Fortress knights, backed up with defensive battalions and silver shields, will genuinely reach high enough levels of protection to be very useful in holding off an approaching enemy horde on maddening which really no other kind of units can do.
the problem is that there is impregnable shield and/or avoidance stacking as well. and these are both probably more flexible and safer options for 'tanking.' this is to say nothing about how you really want as much movement speed and canto and range as possible in order to dictate how fights are initiated--to avoid tanking--in the first place. a couple of units are kitted for fortress knight for sure but it really isn't an option you want to pursue for other units. the fe class system can't really hold up for long when the player is ultimately given unlimited access to well-statted fliers.

Zane fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 30, 2020

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Like any Fire Emblem, the Armour Knights are better for that role early but gradually fall off. Thank god for reclassing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wary Fighter was so cool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

Especially since their major disadvantage, low speed, kind of gets irrelevant on maddening because enemy speed is so high it doesn't matter if your guy has average speed or low speed, they're getting doubled anyway.

You could do this, yes.

And complete maps like 20 turns later than you should.

And on maddening I found that your speed growth keeps up with everything on the good characters, unless you're fighting assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

Wary Fighter was so cool.

Yeah but tbh I’ll take it not existing over slapping it on every golem and every other general in Conquest because gently caress you. If it just made it harder to double, on the other hand...