Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Got my first win of 1.0 after about a week of on-and-off playing. Ended up cheesing it from the jungle down by taking Glass Cannon and having a machinegun triple bolt wand. All-seeing Eye really helped me get past the next two because due to reasons I had 1 hp for most of both biomes.

MVP was the always cast Damage Field wand combined with the Homing and Unlimited spells perks. Just summon a bunch of homing rainclouds while dodging everything.

I would've gone exploring but 80 max hp isn't quite conducive to a grand tour.

The next game I got a mines level that had plasma beams cutting through stuff everywhere.
Tip: if you kick it to see if you can control where it digs, it'll spin right round and hit you in the face for 15 damage at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
To whoever was asking about mods eventually becoming just integrated into the game, a handful of the spells and perks in that new update actually are from mods lol, so there you go.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Telekinesis is bonkers, but too bad it seems that it removes the ability to activate runestones.

Also being able to move corpses (effectively) could lead to a lot more functional alchemy shenanigans.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 30, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

silentsnack posted:

Telekinesis is bonkers, but too bad it seems that it removes the ability to activate runestones.

Also being able to move corpses (effectively) could lead to a lot more functional alchemy shenanigans.

It's so cool lol. Perfect gif! Also the new teleportitis dodge perk is surprisingly powerful. It's on a cooldown of a few seconds, and of course has the potential to dodge you into a situation worse than the one you're escaping from, but for the most part it's pretty badass just blinking out of the way when somebody shoots at you

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

the new teleportitis dodge perk is surprisingly powerful. It's on a cooldown of a few seconds, and of course has the potential to dodge you into a situation worse than the one you're escaping from, but for the most part it's pretty badass just blinking out of the way when somebody shoots at you

How's it differ from regular teleportitis? I stopped grabbing it after this happened:

CodfishCartographer posted:

Every time I see teleportitis I think it'll go well. Then I get covered in toxic sludge.

https://i.imgur.com/17PwKrY.mp4

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Been getting in the mood again to mess around with this game, had a couple fun runs ending in death, though I have yet to make any more exciting wand than a "small laser beam letting me dig through everying" one. On one hand I should probs learn how to play more cautious so I survive longer, on the other I absolutely cannot help myself from setting the entirety of the first zone on fire with barrel explosions and lantern kicking :v:

Stupidest death so far was finding a Circle of Acid spell, and sticking it on a wand on it's own to see what happens. Not sure what I expected, but at least I learned not to do that anymore. Now, if I ever got it together with a spell with timer or trigger...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Setting everything on fire is fun, but I have to say I find myself surviving a lot longer after I stopped doing it. You are temporarily cutting off escape routes, creating new openings from which enemies can ambush you, and the damage from when you inevitably set yourself on fire does add up.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Got a win!!

Can't believe it almost.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've only managed one win and most of my runs end up either in the first level because of my stupidity or at ice caves because I haven't been able to find anything better than the beginner machinegun wand by that point. With 1.0 there's more variance so I hopefully get a good start and can do some exploration and stuff, I have barely even scratched the surface on the side content there is.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Seems like they added a high-end projectile spell it's literally a missile (I assume this is a vanilla change and not goki's), it's great for late game enemies if you haven't lucked into a broken set of spell modifiers by that point. Lots of enemies become way easier if you have enough base damage to overcome their armor.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
After my first few 1.0 runs without a good wand, I got an always cast triple spell wand and a bunch of chainsaws in the first Holy Mountain. Time to screw with this perfect setup, I wonder what this new always cast perk would do with that wand selected?

The game held up surprisingly well through the ice caves despite me dropping hundreds of friends on everyone, and hey my loyal armies start fighting eachother and drop tons of gold and I only sometimes get hurt from the lava and toxic blood! Sure the game is slightly in slow motion now, but I have infinite gold and nothing can touch me before several hundred friends shoot them down, the Hiisi base should be a breeze - before I head down it would probably make for a great gif to summon a few hundred buddies in the perk room and watch them get crushed by the collapse, right?

Here I sit, at one frame every ten seconds, no longer accepting keyboard inputs, the enemies not bothering to put me out of my misery as the game logic is crushed by the weight of my hubris.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZypherIM posted:

So the hut comes with an explosive box in real life? Pretty neat.

Well, after the war a lot of people hid a lot of weapons and explosives in case our neighbours from the east decided to return, so an explosive old hut isn't as outlandish a thing in Finland as you'd expect :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

How's it differ from regular teleportitis? I stopped grabbing it after this happened:

This one puts a little shield around you, and when an enemy projectile touches you, you teleport. Doesn't trigger upon taking damage, only being shot at

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So uhm, are the orbs of knowledge an intentional spoiler trap? There's nothing in the game that indicates that you might not want to be picking them up if you're going for a simple boss kill.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The game has quite a few trap choices, although at least with the first orb you're likely to get to they pretty clearly indicate that you might not want to be going for them every run...

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Rumour has it that with certain builds a one orb boss is easier to damage than a zero orb boss, if you can get a piercing damage over time combination he holds on to the projectile and accumulates a lot more damage than he would have otherwise. Haven't tested it myself but I think I've seen it done, if I correctly understood what was happening.

In addition to the chain gun spam wand and trigger wand archetypes I'd like to add pingpong luminous drill and homing damage boosted mist/field wands as strong wand builds. I've been trying a blast of air / physics object combo wand lately too, which you can use to deliver an egg trigger more accurately, or when combined with the infinite spell perk, in theory could propel a rock projectile at high velocity. Hopefully I can get a clip of some of these working.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do the orbs permanently unlock their spells to appear in shops?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They ostensibly unlock the spells for generation but I feel like I've seen wands that have those spells on them even without the orb unlock (my orb progress got reset by 1.0 for some reason)

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

goferchan posted:

To whoever was asking about mods eventually becoming just integrated into the game, a handful of the spells and perks in that new update actually are from mods lol, so there you go.

Heck yea! That's what I was hoping for. I don't trust my modding abilities lest I blame myself if I die a horrible death. That's reserved for the devs :chord:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dyzzy posted:

They ostensibly unlock the spells for generation but I feel like I've seen wands that have those spells on them even without the orb unlock (my orb progress got reset by 1.0 for some reason)

Orbs and spell unlocks are tracked separately, but getting an orb sets both at the same time. So if just your orbs got reset then the spells are still valid.

(see C:\Users\(you)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00\persistent)

DalaranJ posted:

Do the orbs permanently unlock their spells to appear in shops?

Also random wands, which is really fun when a random enemy bumbles across a wand with a nuke or five on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stoca Zola posted:

In addition to the chain gun spam wand and trigger wand archetypes I'd like to add pingpong luminous drill and homing damage boosted mist/field wands as strong wand builds.

Yeah, those are also good. I didn't mention them in my post because it was already huge and those are very specific wand builds, but they're good to be aware of if the stars align for you.

On a semi-related note, I had a run yesterday where I just could not get a trigger spell, so my primary wand for quite some time was something like

Increased projectile speed -> Reduced spread -> Damage up -> Multicast -> every dang projectile I could fit

It wasn't quite a shotgun because you could snipe fools with it. I had an airblast in there too, which was very effective for knocking enemies around and keeping them from being able to fight effectively.

The faster-shot modifier is really good IMO; it makes a lot of projectiles significantly more effective. It also makes the homing-mist wands much more powerful.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

probably my most powerful wand yet. fires three bolts per frame, each bolt does 52 damage individually, also electricity between the bolts because why not, can sustain fire for two seconds.

e: then i got faster projectiles so it's basically a railgun now lol

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Did they make this game harder?!?! WTF? I am struggling just to get past the first zone. UGH!!

Also gently caress stendari!! I hate them so much!

/end_rant

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Got lucky with the RNG in the mines.

https://giant.gfycat.com/CleanLankyBuckeyebutterfly.mp4

Get hosed, dude!

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 31, 2020

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

This is not a good wand. (Cause of death: acid)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

A jargogle posted:

This is not a good wand. (Cause of death: acid)

One of those wands where you know you shouldn't try it out, but you do anyways

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

dyzzy posted:

One of those wands where you know you shouldn't try it out, but you do anyways

I died in what I thought was the safe testing phase

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, don't put anything you aren't immune to on the green bouncy balls

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Playing with randomized starts, got the lightning wizard, which is always a fun time. By the time I got to Hiisi Base, I had a wand that was:

Spark bolt with timer -> Multicast -> Big lightning explosion -> Big lightning explosion -> multicast -> lightsaber -> lightsaber

It had zero recharge time and a good mana recovery time, which meant that I could just spam explosions like mad.

Two things about this:
  • Hiisi Base is not known for having lots of open space.
  • I did not have immunity to explosions. :smith:

(If you can get both electrical and explosion immunity, then a fun wand to make is literally just the big lightning explosion. Walk around exploding anyone who gets too close to you, where "too close" is something like half a screen's distance. That spell is nuts)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I had Goki's Things mod giving me Diplomatic Immunity starting off, since that made it so that I couldn't anger the gods.

Turns out at some point that changed so you can enter/exit the holy mountain freely. Found out the hard way I can still anger the gods, while testing a really lovely lightsaber wand. :suicide:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yesterday I learned about eternal wealth, today I learned about the curse of the holy mountain.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, don't put anything you aren't immune to on the green bouncy balls Always put acid trail on the green bouncy balls(Then die laughing while the world dissolves around you)

Fixed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Does a literal gatling gun even count as a wand anymore?

https://i.imgur.com/TSq70mM.mp4

But... what if you replace the bullet with some other kind of projectile?

https://i.imgur.com/91PxWl2.mp4

Oh.

I died a few minutes later under mysterious circumstances.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 31, 2020

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Turns out one of my mods is bugging out and making the boss invincible somehow, which I sadly didn't know about until I made it to the end. Twice. Now I get to test them one by one to find the culprit.

Edit: Ah gently caress, it's Goki. I hope it's just a specific setting somewhere and not the entire mod. Has anyone else made it to the end using Goki?

Edit2: Okay I narrowed it down to the "Show Damage Numbers" option on options page 2. Do NOT enable that option, it's bugged out somehow with the boss.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 31, 2020

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Der Shovel posted:

https://i.imgur.com/91PxWl2.mp4

Oh.

I died a few minutes later under mysterious circumstances.

The game should have just given you the win at that point.

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

my most poetic death thus far

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't understand this wand:

Instead of acting like a trigger wand (spark bolt into a bunch of splitter bolts, with a lightsaber and a bouncing bolt going out next to the spark bolt for funsies), it's acting like a shotgun -- all of the spells seem to be coming from the wand directly and the spark bolt doesn't seem to be triggering anything. What's going on?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The always cast is messing up the regular order of things. It's not like an extra box, its like two boxes get played every single time you cast from that wand. One box is triple cast, the next is a spell from the list. Sometimes you can get around this with clever padding, but you have to pad more than you think, not just at the start of the wand. The wall in holy mountain doesn't properly reflect the always cast either. I tend to throw wands like this away now because they're too confusing to get to behave properly.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ChestNut posted:

my most poetic death thus far

I just had one of those myself.

Also, the energy wall with a timer spark is amazing. It allows you to scramble away from whatever death is coming for you while letting them melt themselves on it.

Had a wand with a "cast 4 spells at once" and "cast personal gravity on target" wands with 4 arrows that was pretty neat for sucking up projectile crap.

It is sort of amazing how different the game feels when you find some sort of good digging wand early. I don't know if prices get crazy later on (only gotten into hisi base), but an early digging want (had a chainsaw with 0.03 recharge or something) basically means I can buy everything I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I am really enjoying all of these little halloween bits in the game. I just had a pumpkin chucked at me right after I started.