Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I bet you could swish some paint and flow improver in your mouth and spittle spray it into a flat surface it could look ok. Our bodies are the greatest tool we'll ever own. Really makes you think.

Zenithal highlighting like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I did it last month with mostly some success and a few potential fails.

For prep:

1-2 bags of the bottles with the nozzles and caps.
1 jug of valejo flow improver
1-2 boxes of paint mixing balls.
1 cheap pack of funnels (You may not need this many but I got paranoid about cross contamination and bought a cheap pack of 11 small guys and cut the tips off them)

To transfer:

1. I used my clippers to cut the hinges off my Citadel pots, dropped a mixing ball in and a squirt or two of flow improver.
2. Shook paint.
3. Funneled it into the bottle.
4. Blasted some more flow improver, shook and dumped the rest including the ball into the dropper bottle.
5. Used my xacto knife to cut the Citadel label and peeled it off to put on my dropper bottle.

Went pretty quick but I had a few cases where I wound up spraying too much flow improver and got very liquid paint when dropping. Moving forward I actually whipped up a dropper bottle of flow improver for better control.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Funzo posted:

I heard some dummy left a full pot of Mechanicus Standard grey open overnight and now needs to go get another one. What a dummy. Not me of course, I would never do that.

If its any consolation I heard some dummy chucked a pot of Apothecary White back into the box he keeps all his paint in without making sure that it was sealed properly, it landed upside down and about half the pot leaked out before it dried enough to seal itself closed, covering about another 10 pots of paint, and the bottom of the (wooden) box in contrast white, and he didnt notice til a few days later when he went to pull a paint out the box and everything was very light grey.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the Crisis Protocol thread:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

^burtle posted:

5. Used my xacto knife to cut the Citadel label and peeled it off to put on my dropper bottle.

This works so well, it's like the labels were made for removal. The adhesive is not too strong and it remains sticky after being peeled off the old bottle so it's easy to attach to the new one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

KingMob posted:

those look dope, what scale is that line?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

tangy yet delightful posted:

those look dope, what scale is that line?

Thanks! 40mm.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mirthless posted:

Ahhh, fuckit, $88 shipped is good enough

I was really just buying the AS-186k when I ordered my OG airbrush anyway so it's not like I ever expected it to be an incredible performer, the $10-30/pack-in airbrush has come a long loving way since the early 2000s though to be sure.

as a brief cspam aside: every new generation of cheap chinese crap scares the hell out of me because it represents an exponential increase in infrastructure over the previous generation before it; while our government bickers over orange man and flails at china over intellectual property rights, we gradually lose the ability to build complicated things, and china is gradually getting to the point where they can outproduce us in every industry at one-fifth to one-tenth the cost. :rip:

This wouldn't be so bad if there was any quality control on what they put out for sale. Trying to buy stuff on Amazon is such a crapshoot. Super cheap quick release adapters! Multiple Amazon reviews saying that some of them screw on properly and others leak air but that's ok, it's $5! My first AS186 had an irreparable leak in one of the bends of the metal valves so I had to return it and buy an identical AS186 from a different listing by the same seller.

I know we touched on the ethics of our hobby the other day but the fact that so many of our supplies don't function as intended but it's ok because it's cheaper than ever is very uncomfortable. Having a bunch of dodgy bits mixed in with the useful ones and having to return very obviously malfunctioning stuff to Amazon (which apparently is 40% likely to just be straight up thrown into the garbage) is so wasteful and frankly lovely to our already dying planet.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That's because Amazon is just a dumping ground for cheap chinese crap. 20 brands of the same item that all probably came out of the same drat factory.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So, after my first two attempts at painting for the first time (a knight I posted in here, and an orc I hosed up by painting too thick) I learned my lesson i.e. dilute your paints, which somehow I had forgotten about due to my noob status. Not surprising it made a world of a difference because wow, now I can paint minis and see the details lol. I'm really happy how this turned out, and though I bet there's a lot that could be done to make it look badass and uber professional, due to my limited paint assortment (I had to use blue-yellow for flames because I don't own a red or an orange) I just wanted to do my two thin coats and a dry brushover for a finish.

Only odd touches I did on my own really was the black lining for the hood and some more black on the inside face to give it a "shadow."

I have a very big werecroc man to do next and then after that, presuming it goes just as well, I'm going to get a very substantial paint set with a figure holder/brushes/etc and drop some cash on the Crisis Protocol set! Assembling those things will probably be the next step but I'm not too intimidated by that versus the actual painting.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KingMob posted:

Kingpin looks super good! The others too but he really jumps out.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

The Moon Monster posted:

Kingpin looks super good! The others too but he really jumps out.

That is a mastery of white. Like, honestly perfect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished my Verminlord Warpseer

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

gat dang i say gat dang

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That sure is a pretty ratman.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a cute little rat! What'd you do for the flesh? I've always been bad at flesh, recently bought one of those Nolzur's Hill Giants to practice glazing and I hate how it came out.

Partially I think I just need to go get some actual glaze medium instead of trying to make my own with just water, but really I know it's just all technique (or lack there of) :(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISS4CYV2rg4

Haven't tried it but it should be as easy as "add a little flow improver to help get it moving, then just pipette paint from Container A into Container B" :shrug:

I'm about due for this on my citadel washes too, so thanks for this

I really loving hate the pots, if they had a tighter seal it'd be one thing but you lose so much to evaporation it's really not funny

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That is a mastery of white. Like, honestly perfect.

Goddamn, that's some high praise! Thanks!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Anything I should know about texture paints without a proper texture tool? I got some astrogranite debris, but realized I don't actually have one of the fancy plastic paddles. Basically, will I run in to issues if I just sacrifice a cheap large brush for the job instead?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Attestant posted:

Anything I should know about texture paints without a proper texture tool? I got some astrogranite debris, but realized I don't actually have one of the fancy plastic paddles. Basically, will I run in to issues if I just sacrifice a cheap large brush for the job instead?

Not the GW stuff but before I got some silicone clay shapers, I just used a toothpick to slap down the texture stuff I use on bases

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I use wooden coffee stirrers, I use clippers to cut them at a 45 degree angle in the middle so I have a round shape at one end and a more precise pointy end, works fine IMO

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Haven't tried it but it should be as easy as "add a little flow improver to help get it moving, then just pipette paint from Container A into Container B" :shrug:

I did this to all my Cit paints recently and all I used were drops of Liquitex flow aid, and a plastic funnel. Decanting to droppers is fun and easy and I recommend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What did you use for a funnel? I can't think of anything I've seen that would be small enough to fit in those tiny bottles.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

What did you use for a funnel? I can't think of anything I've seen that would be small enough to fit in those tiny bottles.

If you have a steady hand you don't need a funnel.

Luckily the bottles I bought came with a funnel, so I'm assuming you can find a tiny funnel online somewhere.

Edit: yeah, just look up ones for essential oils or lab bottles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Ya it's these little guys: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XCZDV15/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_eSdNFbM6CQEQA

You don't NEED them, because I decanted like my first 30 or so paints without them but using one reduces nearly any chance that you'll spill.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can either of you suggest a US-friendly specific link? All I'm seeing on Amazon are overpriced glass bottles. $10 for 12 bottles? I guess I could only do my ~most used~ colors, but that's kinda lovely.

I actually bought this 50-pack of plastic bottles earlier this summer for exactly this purpose, but the product image is bullshit.

Instead of this:

They were all just open-top bottles like this:

With no dropper thingies in the package :mad:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's such bullshit, I'd have been pissed.

These 15ml ones should be enough for most Citidel paints: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088PDC22V/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_oXdNFb51M5ZV5

You'll want 20ml or 30mls for larger paints like contrast paints or whatever.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not the GW stuff but before I got some silicone clay shapers, I just used a toothpick to slap down the texture stuff I use on bases

Koopa Kid posted:

I use wooden coffee stirrers, I use clippers to cut them at a 45 degree angle in the middle so I have a round shape at one end and a more precise pointy end, works fine IMO

Ok yeah, I can figure something out. Thanks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've used the old metallic GW sculpting tool as well and old brush that I rinse out thoroughly afterwards.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I like using the really crappy Testors model paint brushes, plastic handle plastic bristles. They clean up easily and they're cheap so I don't care of I ruin them.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
weird question, but do any of the people in legal marijuana states find themselves recycling a lot of poo poo from dispensaries in the hobby?

so many of these containers make for incredible miniature stands, bases, handles, terrain bits with just a little work and they use so much packaging to meet arbitrary decency standards that I always feel like I'm doing something wasteful when I throw the containers away

I posted about this a while back but my paint handle solution is dab containers glued to pill bottles upside-down, the child safe cap lets me rotate the mini with my thumb while I work and I can switch minis off the handle with one hand. I can't stand the idea of paying like twelve dollars for a commercially made handle, I just can't do it. I've got a bunch of these, eventually I'll set up a stand with like twenty of them so I can prime whole units without having to do too much loving around. These containers are like ceramic or porcelain, I have a dremel bit that should work for thatm, so eventually I'll magnetize these; for now, I just use sticky tack to hold on minis and it has been rock solid, and since I have so many of the dab containers, (:weed:) when I'm batch painting I don't really have to remove minis from the bases except when they're finished, so the sticky tack headache is minimized.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 30, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I finished my cloudsurfing Slann and I'm still not sure if I made something rad or dumb as hell.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cooked Auto posted:

I've used the old metallic GW sculpting tool as well and old brush that I rinse out thoroughly afterwards.

Bucnasti posted:

I like using the really crappy Testors model paint brushes, plastic handle plastic bristles. They clean up easily and they're cheap so I don't care of I ruin them.

Yeah, I ended up scooping the stuff out with a small cut of slightly bendy plastic, and then just spreading it with a dipsosable bad brush. This'll work fine, though it seems insanely expensive to use on larger bases.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Per the suggestions for them, in general for sure low-key one of the best investments you can make with the miniatures hobby in general is a big box of wooden coffee stirrers. Can be used as a million different tools for stirring, spreading, sculpting, etc. while also being the perfect size to represent wood planks for basing and terrain building for the typical 28-30 mm scale. It's a $5-10 box of pure function that will last for a really long time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Attestant posted:

Yeah, I ended up scooping the stuff out with a small cut of slightly bendy plastic, and then just spreading it with a dipsosable bad brush. This'll work fine, though it seems insanely expensive to use on larger bases.

Vallejo texture paint tends to be a much more affordable version of the same thing, at least in Canada. I just sacrificed a bad brush but now I wish I had used a coffee stirrer because that would be a lot easier. Still a brush can be useful to add different kinds of patterns and textures to the...texture.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The GW stuff is good but just way too expensive to use on an entire army. Vallejo has good alternatives to most of the texture paints at a fraction of the price. And there's a few brands of crackle pastes to replace the stuff like Agrellan Badland depending on the exact look you want.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The vallejo stuff rules and if they don't have something in a color you want, it's super easy to paint it up to the color you want.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

The vallejo stuff rules and if they don't have something in a color you want, it's super easy to paint it up to the color you want.

It's cheap enough I gave my kid a big thing if it to use in a diorama for grade school.

... along with some 3d printed animals.
And water effects.
And grass applicator.
And dad's painting stuff.

Get loving wrecked other 9 year olds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I finished my cloudsurfing Slann and I'm still not sure if I made something rad or dumb as hell.

Cross post this in the Uninspiration thread and find out but I'm in the something rad camp on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you can’t achieve true radness unless it’s also a bit dumb as hell just imo