Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just hope we get some more supes with weird powers.

and more eye laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I hope Gecko survives relatively unscathed. He's a nice guy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They aren’t going to kill Jack Quaid, he’s the cutie-pie.

No one would have watched the Powerpuff girls if it was just Blossom & Buttercup!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Season 3 material. We won't be wandering into late game of thrones territory.

The Boys show is like if the Game of Thrones TV series had Daenerys starve outside the gates of Qarth, Robb Stark win the war, and some random lord that wasn't in the book be a major player from the beginning.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 30, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

We can’t go into late Game of Thrones territory because The Boys actually has competent writers.

yeah, the showrunner actually had experience making tv before he got to the Boys unlike the GoT trust fund dipshits.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Boys show is like if the Game of Thrones TV series had Daenerys starve outside the gates of Qarth, Robb Stark win the war, and some random lord that wasn't in the book be a major player from the beginning.

I don't understand any of these references and I'm glad of it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I don't understand any of these references and I'm glad of it

Go watch Game of Thrones you loving nerd!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Go watch Game of Thrones you loving nerd!

Don't watch the second to last and last seasons tho. They are dumpster fires.

Man, Homelander may be the best villain I've ever seen. Something about his motivations and character manage to be both a massive caricature and completely believable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My buddy just blasted through GoT and he didn't think the ending was as bad as I did. Maybe it's better if you're binging everything and don't have high expectations going in.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the final season was like a rotten potato in a potato sack, it ruined the whole thing. i will never rewatch it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The horse drawing meme that gets progressively worse is the best and most concise encapsulation of the descending quality of GOT over the seasons. I wanna say that it starts getting really bad when they depart from the books, but honestly it was bad even before that with their terrible adaptation of the Dorne plot and Teenage Mutant Ninja Sand Snakes. I think at this point I would be willing to rewatch the 1st two seasons and pretend like it was sadly cancelled after that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DrNutt posted:

The horse drawing meme that gets progressively worse is the best and most concise encapsulation of the descending quality of GOT over the seasons. I wanna say that it starts getting really bad when they depart from the books, but honestly it was bad even before that with their terrible adaptation of the Dorne plot and Teenage Mutant Ninja Sand Snakes. I think at this point I would be willing to rewatch the 1st two seasons and pretend like it was sadly cancelled after that.

lovely sand snakes were canon. That whole 4th book was GRRM desparately trying to recover his character pool from The Red Wedding.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

DrNutt posted:

The horse drawing meme that gets progressively worse is the best and most concise encapsulation of the descending quality of GOT over the seasons. I wanna say that it starts getting really bad when they depart from the books, but honestly it was bad even before that with their terrible adaptation of the Dorne plot

Yeah, the Dorne plot was also terrible in the books (at least so far, I guess), so that's actually a faithful carryover.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I forget what book we're even on now. Waiting for 6, I believe...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
At this point we won't get the final book(s) until he's dead and his heirs hire a ghost writer to wrap things up, after they have dried up the rest of his estate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lovely sand snakes were canon. That whole 4th book was GRRM desparately trying to recover his character pool from The Red Wedding.

Sarcastro posted:

Yeah, the Dorne plot was also terrible in the books (at least so far, I guess), so that's actually a faithful carryover.

Maybe I didn't parse my sentence very well but that was my insinuation and I completely agree!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the last few seasons of got loving sucked. D&D loving suck. Thanks for reminding me guys

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
reminder for anyone who doesn't know, d&d had not a lick of experience in doing TV before GoT, they were most likely granted this prestigious hbo show because benioff's pep pep used to run goldman sachs.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Benioff once said "themes are for 8th grade book reports" which in retrospect explains a lot of the non-book guided story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On the bright side they seem to be total box office poison, and their chances of ever working on another show seems to be near zero

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The sand snakes were always lovely, but them murdering Doran because for the crime of not doing enough revenge killings and then declaring their characters as a win for feminism was 100% those two morons.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Don't watch the second to last and last seasons tho. They are dumpster fires.

Man, Homelander may be the best villain I've ever seen. Something about his motivations and character manage to be both a massive caricature and completely believable.

His scenes with Ryan are fantastic. Like he's the most vulnerable... And brings out the worst in him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

His scenes with Ryan are fantastic. Like he's the most vulnerable... And brings out the worst in him.

Yeah and Antony Starr is really great at flipping the emotions / character as the scene as required.

Like how homelander can go from being venerable / sympathetic to being a menacingly psychopath.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah and Antony Starr is really great at flipping the emotions / character as the scene as required.

Like how homelander can go from being venerable / sympathetic to being a menacingly psychopath.

Yeah, it really creates the link from his vulnerability to his narcissism. He cannot handle any amount of criticism, challenge to his authority, or the hint of abandonment. That scene where Stormfront leaves him to check on the asylum and he chokes her really drove home how unhinged and dangerous he can be to the very people he loves even more so than the season 1 ending.

His constant need to be loved by all and the tyranny by which he forces everyone to obey his every command is just such a spot on characterization of America it's profound. Masturbating while chanting "I can do anything" is so loving perfect.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

As Nero Danced posted:

At this point we won't get the final book(s) until he's dead and his heirs hire a ghost writer to wrap things up, after they have dried up the rest of his estate.

Brandon Sanderson is just biding his time, for sure.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

uber_stoat posted:

reminder for anyone who doesn't know, d&d had not a lick of experience in doing TV before GoT, they were most likely granted this prestigious hbo show because benioff's pep pep used to run goldman sachs.

Also they signed a really big project with Disney after GoT ended, and then like a week later they were guests on a panel and talked about how inexperienced they were and how they never had a plan and everything just sort of came together and the day after their panel leaked Disney walked out on the contract, lmao, idiots

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

D&D foolishly thought GURM would finish the books in time for them to have to do minimal work of their own

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tbh it's incredibly ASOIAF that the show got run into the ground by a couple failson members of the aristocracy given a responsibility via nepotism that they were utterly incapable of meeting

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheeee posted:

tbh it's incredibly ASOIAF that the show got run into the ground by a couple failson members of the aristocracy given a responsibility via nepotism that they were utterly incapable of meeting

When you put it like that, it makes the ending almost seem perfect!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Masturbating while chanting "I can do anything" is so loving perfect.

The whole "I can do Anything I want" scene was hilarious.

I got caught be off guard since I read in interviews in Antony Starr that it was filmed back during season 1 production yet ended up being cut since it was too over the top and sexually explicit for amazon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, it really creates the link from his vulnerability to his narcissism. He cannot handle any amount of criticism, challenge to his authority, or the hint of abandonment. That scene where Stormfront leaves him to check on the asylum and he chokes her really drove home how unhinged and dangerous he can be to the very people he loves even more so than the season 1 ending.

No it's more than that. The episode sets you up to think that he's being petty and childish with abandonment issues, but then he reveals the real reason he's pissed off is because he checked out the tower and he knows Stormfront has been lying to him about something.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

No it's more than that. The episode sets you up to think that he's being petty and childish with abandonment issues, but then he reveals the real reason he's pissed off is because he checked out the tower and he knows Stormfront has been lying to him about something.

Yes, but both. If someone says, "I have to go take a piss" and you check the bathroom and they aren't there, the normal response isn't to threaten their life. Only a complete psycho would do that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

etalian posted:

it was filmed back during season 1 production yet ended up being cut since it was too over the top and sexually explicit for amazon.

Now that the show is popular, and lucrative, they can do anything they want.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

yeah homelander really doesnt like lying. he has tortured almost everyone in the show for doing just that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

boo_radley posted:

Kevin J Anderson is just biding his time, for sure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

etalian posted:

The whole "I can do Anything I want" scene was hilarious.

I got caught be off guard since I read in interviews in Antony Starr that it was filmed back during season 1 production yet ended up being cut since it was too over the top and sexually explicit for amazon.

I had read about the scene being cut from season 1, and as soon as I realized what was going on I was laughing maniacally.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just finished this and loved it. Are we still spoilering? Just in case: I'm trying to piece together a motivation for Neuman based on who's heads popped and when. Almost every time they popped it benefitted Vought but I don't see her opposition to Vought (however tepid it's been) being a very effective use of her time if she's just an op or something. Is it implied that she's the origin of the internal coup? And if she was wouldn't Vought be aware of this?

Probably just need to wait on context I guess

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Deified Data posted:

Just finished this and loved it. Are we still spoilering? Just in case: I'm trying to piece together a motivation for Neuman based on who's heads popped and when. Almost every time they popped it benefitted Vought but I don't see her opposition to Vought (however tepid it's been) being a very effective use of her time if she's just an op or something. Is it implied that she's the origin of the internal coup? And if she was wouldn't Vought be aware of this?

Probably just need to wait on context I guess

I think the idea is that she wants to portray herself as the underdog fighting against the system, but she just doesn't have the power to make any big changes. She is setting herself up for a giant grassroots movement.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I took the opposite reading of the situation that she's an Obama-esque faux progressive who's harnessing people's opposition to Vought and funneling it down a dead end. All of her kills have been to been to benefit Vought when stuff they really didn't want to happen was about to happen so I can't see how she's anything but a political assassin, no one even knew about the CIA lady or the Scientology guy so it's not like her actions made them look bad in the public eye and the massacre at the senate hearing was the inciting incident for Stormfront's supersoldier plan. Which would make her a controlled oppositon figure incredibly well placed to sabotage political opposition to the company either by espionage or just exploding select peoples heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I really hope it doesn't turn out to be some Bioshock Infinite "Both sides are the same" horseshit