Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Count Roland posted:

They are significant though. Metal content affects the life cycle of stars for one thing.

I mean, sure, but also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements#Universe posted:

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe; helium is second. [...]

Hydrogen and helium are estimated to make up roughly 74% and 24% of all baryonic matter in the universe respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Canada's got 1/10the population and cases are only split by province in can, vs county in the states. But yeah, even if they granularized it it'd still be pretty Woah.

It'd be far better to show cases per capita

Outrail has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Oct 29, 2020

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
In the replies she points out that the total cases in Canada is the same as the death toll in the US lmao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

In the replies she points out that the total cases in Canada is the same as the death toll in the US lmao

Jfc, even divided by 10 that's... Pretty hosed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Outrail posted:

Canada's got 1/10the population and cases are only split by province in can, vs county in the states. But yeah, even if they granularized it it'd still be pretty Woah.

She does have a point though, the US's approach has been abysmal. Up here in Canada the various governments did lockdowns while the feds handed out income supports and things were much better. Then they stopped, and now kids are going back to school, and things are looking not great.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

I mean yes, Canada has been much better; however it's really dumb to use this map to say "there's a straight line". It's obvious that Canada's figures are per-province, whereas the US's are much more granular, probably per-county.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if Canada’s bubbles were placed more locally, the map wouldn’t look all that different because the population is so concentrated near the U.S. border, and much of it south of the forty‐ninth parallel in the east.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

The non coastal areas of the us that border Canada aren't exactly rife with millions

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ikanreed posted:

The non coastal areas of the us that border Canada aren't exactly rife with millions

The Detroit area has a population of something like 3 or 4 million, and Buffalo adds another million on top of that. Are you perhaps including the Great Lakes area in "coastal"?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powered Descent posted:

The Detroit area has a population of something like 3 or 4 million, and Buffalo adds another million on top of that. Are you perhaps including the Great Lakes area in "coastal"?
Must be - hell, Rochester had a ferry to Toronto for like five years there before it went under because nobody used it (and the Rochester metro area is another million, which blows my mind because it's a nonentity of a city)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Apparently this isn't even a joke:
https://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/M/Metals

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

When 99.87% of the nuclei in the universe (by number, not mass) are either hydrogen or helium, it does become useful to have a one-word catch-all term for "elements that aren't hydrogen or helium." We do occasionally care about what specific elements we're talking about, but often they're all lumped together, such as when talking about the "metallicity" of a star - the concentration of elements that aren't hydrogen or helium, which is usually expressed as a mass fraction, and is a pretty useful number for predicting how a star evolves over time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Powered Descent posted:

Yes. I'm referring to the fact that that map showed piles of cases in like... North Dakota

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed posted:

Yes. I'm referring to the fact that that map showed piles of cases in like... North Dakota

On a per capita basis they're in pretty bad shape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DontMockMySmock posted:

this is not awful or funny. this is a good and useful periodic table.

My point in posting it was “don’t let astronomers define ‘metal’ for you, and don’t let topologists define ‘hole’.”

The awfulness here is that the key doesn’t say that grey elements must be created artificially.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well they're listing elements by their extraterrestrial origins, but yeah you still need to say where technetium and prometheum come from if you're going to include them. Including the transuranic elements would let you have another category that they could be lumped in with.

Also, both of them can exist in nature

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My point in posting it was “don’t let astronomers define ‘metal’ for you

Same for "order of magnitude".

I grew up as an astronomy nerd. Ask me about getting into an argument with my sixth-grade math teacher about whether an order of magnitude was a factor of 10 or 2.5.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

If you try to stick me with those chudly fuckers in Albert and Saskatchewan we'll secede to Idaho montana our own mountainous Switzerlandesque province of Rockylandia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Powered Descent posted:

Same for "order of magnitude".

I grew up as an astronomy nerd. Ask me about getting into an argument with my sixth-grade math teacher about whether an order of magnitude was a factor of 10 or 2.5.

Why tf would it be 2.5? ive never even heard of that before.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:wrong:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Outrail posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_magnitude

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FINE, the fifth root of 100, sue me.

Outrail posted:

It's purely historical, but it has its uses. For thousands of years, the stars have been grouped into categories, the brightest ones being "of the first magnitude", the next brightest the "second magnitude", all the way down to sixth, which are around the dimmest that can be seen with the naked eye. Sometime in the 1800s, as measurements got more precise, they fit a curve to this rough categorization, and found that the fifth root of 100, or about a factor of 2.5 between magnitudes, fit very well. You can also extend this curve from both sides, so you can say that Pluto is something like magnitude 13 or 14 and the Sun is magnitude -27.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

Stars were divided into tiers of brightness in classical antiquity.

In the nineteenth century we were able to quantify stellar brightness, and it turns out that there was approximately a factor of one hundred difference between stars long placed in the first tier like Vega and stars of the sixth, barely visible to the unaided eye.

To divide that into the intermediate tiers, use the fifth root of one hundred, which is 2.5118864315…

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Buncha starlords itt

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Outrail posted:

Buncha starlords itt

We're everywhere. Quietly listening, biding our time, waiting for the opportunity to leap out and explain exactly what a parsec is and why it's useful, or relate the anecdote that the discoverer of the planet Uranus wanted to name it George, or tell the cautionary tale of how Galileo actually recorded an observation of Neptune over 200 years before it was discovered, but never bothered to follow up on his note about that one odd star that might have moved a little between nights, or--

Anyway, space stuff. It's cool.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Platystemon posted:

My point in posting it was “don’t let astronomers define ‘metal’ for you, and don’t let topologists define ‘hole’.”

The awfulness here is that the key doesn’t say that grey elements must be created artificially.

Is it literally not possible for stars to produce trans-Uranics or do they just not stick around long enough to matter on astronomical time scales?

E: hmm apparently the answer is yes, this star is jammed up with them https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybylski%27s_Star

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Oct 30, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Transuranics are very unstable, doubly so in the presence of a neutron flux, i.e. a star.

Te and Po have no known stable isotopes (but with a half-life way shorter than say Uranium, also) iirc, so they don't appear as produced from fusion phenomena.

Basically for star produced matter, you can think of it as a bell curve roughly centered around Fe, for what stars like to poop out as solid matter.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

We're everywhere. Quietly listening, biding our time, waiting for the opportunity to leap out and explain exactly what a parsec is and why it's useful, or relate the anecdote that the discoverer of the planet Uranus wanted to name it George, or tell the cautionary tale of how Galileo actually recorded an observation of Neptune over 200 years before it was discovered, but never bothered to follow up on his note about that one odd star that might have moved a little between nights, or--

No one would have believed, in the first years of the twenty-first century, that this world was being watched keenly and closely...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Can i ask a dumb space question?

So a few years ago there were all those pop-sci reports about hwo Betelgeuse is gonna go supernova soon (in space terms) and would be the third brightest object in the sky - sun, moon, then betelgeuse.

But there was also some, I swear, that said it would be comparable in size, from our perspective. Which sounds bonkers, but the sizes involved are so bonkers already I have no idea if its even remotely plausible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Can i ask a dumb space question?

So a few years ago there were all those pop-sci reports about hwo Betelgeuse is gonna go supernova soon (in space terms) and would be the third brightest object in the sky - sun, moon, then betelgeuse.

But there was also some, I swear, that said it would be comparable in size, from our perspective. Which sounds bonkers, but the sizes involved are so bonkers already I have no idea if its even remotely plausible.

I don't know if the size is impossible, but it would take time. It would start as a bright point and then expand over time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah. Betelgeuse is about 600 light years away, something at that distance which had an angular diameter the same as the sun would have to be light-years in diameter and supernovas sure don't do that. I mean, there'll be a nebula left over after the explosion and in time that will expand to that size, but that takes tens to hundreds of years (the Crab Nebula is about 11 light-years across and came from a supernova in 1054.) A Betelgeuse supernova would be very bright, but still just a point.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Oct 30, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My highschool trig says it'd need to be 3 light years across, which seems unfeasible.

Edit: Just seen Phanatics post. drat, but I was really hoping it was true. Still, nebula are lovely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm also gonna show my ignorance and ask if a parsex is a real measure of time/distance/space time. I'm just too lazy to google it and would like a comedy answer.

E: Lol, not gonna edit that one out

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Outrail posted:

I'm also gonna show my ignorance and ask if a parsex is a real measure of time/distance/space time. I'm just too lazy to google it and would like a comedy answer.

Yes, according to the well-known space documentary Star Wars, a parsec is a unit of time.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Outrail posted:

I don't have a comedy answer, but a parsec is a real unit of distance. It's short for parallax (arc)second, and it's the distance away where the parallax of an object (the change in the angle as the earth moves to opposite sides of the sun) is 1 arcsecond.

It's about 3.3 lightyears.

Addition during preview: Yeah, that's a good comedy answer above.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I liked the fan theory that Han Solo was hustling dumb moisture farmers.

The con man measures his mark so he can bilk them better.

Disney killed that theory, but gently caress Disney.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pakled posted:

Yes, according to the well-known space documentary Star Wars, a parsec is a unit of time.

It's more plausible than most of 2020 so I'm not 100% convinced Lucas isn't some kind of parsexual interstellar timelord/director.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a parsex is the amount of time needed for a proficient sex-haver to complete a hole of sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

if every ship moves at the same speed in hyperspace, then charting a fast course must mean charting a short course, and people with a better computer or higher appetite for risk could make a shorter course that cuts closer to navigational hazards (planets, stars, etc)