Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

...i'm the rear end in a top hat? the 'two sides of the position' aren't equally correct and i may have been a little bit blunt about it but i'm tired of giving anything away to people that are making my life demonstrably worse with their actions. gently caress your feelings, guy, the virus sure doesn't care about 'em

It was quite rude of you to make him feel bad for doing the wrong thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

rt4 posted:

It was quite rude of you to make him feel bad for doing the wrong thing

lots of people looking for silence as validation

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Strep Vote posted:

How can you be so loving dumb. Rich people fleeing cities are a crucial vector in every plague or pandemic. I'm in a fairly insulated community that has seen about 70 infections out of 24,000 people and rich assholes going to their country homes bring it here to our aging population. Stay out, fuckheads.

The only way to stop them would be for local communities to present a credible threat of murdering them. Anything less doesn't scare people like that.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
Another daily record. And now new cases will drop as the weekend comes and the story disappears from the news only to return again next week.

The ebb and flow cadence of reporting new cases has been absolutely disastrous for public perception w/r/t the danger of the virus.

If we were setting new daily records every day, it might scare people a little more. Instead the weekly drops make it tough for our goldfish-memory brains to stay aware of just how dire the situation really is.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Worldometers says there's currently over 50,000 active cases in SA, where'd you get your number?

Sorry, I was wrong. That was 1092 new cases per day, and that was yesterday. Still pretty good though!

Also since it was the UK press that was pushing the 'SA herd immunity' story there's almost certainly a racist undercurrent of "They got the virus under control? And we haven't? Well they must have done it by accident!"
:dogwhistle:

I fully agree with this. It's absolutely this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I don't pay attention then it doesn't exist.

That's been working for republicans regarding poors for generations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

almost 84K cases today which is a new record

We did it everyone!

Thanks for the congrats

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Isn’t this still the first wave? Cases keep going up.
Lockdown part 2? WTF, this is still part one.

Call me in the spring after “wave four” and OMG the stores are out of everything again for the millionth time?

My mom asked if we were thinking about hosting thanksgiving. For 30 people. Of course I said no.

So I fully expect to see her posting a picture of her and the 27 other people we usually we for thanksgiving at my house, just without me and Mrs Mango.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I have some shocking news here guys.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1322028336424562688

The vaccine may not come out when the President said it would. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad new. :smith:

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Goons, Don’t get shot for mask assholes or trump voters. They both bad but a bullet is fast.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenocides posted:

I have some shocking news here guys.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1322028336424562688

The vaccine may not come out when the President said it would. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad new. :smith:

Omg. Are you saying Trump.... lied?

Do not besmirch my, AND STILL YOU"RE, president.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Indiana is exploding and nobody is doing poo poo.

Illinois is exploding and indoor dining will soon disappear statewide, thank god. The local chuds are losing their loving minds. They sincerely believe that fixing the economy is a giant comedy lever we just need to flip from CLOSED to OPEN.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I imagine the “OPEN ’ER UP!” crowd, I imagine them going mediævel on an iron lung with the jaws of life.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Goons, Don’t get shot for mask assholes or trump voters. They both bad but a bullet is fast.

I don't think you are going to be mr good advice guy. Just stop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

COVID-420 posted:

Another daily record. And now new cases will drop as the weekend comes and the story disappears from the news only to return again next week.

The ebb and flow cadence of reporting new cases has been absolutely disastrous for public perception w/r/t the danger of the virus.

If we were setting new daily records every day, it might scare people a little more. Instead the weekly drops make it tough for our goldfish-memory brains to stay aware of just how dire the situation really is.

Friday/Saturday are usually the biggest days of the week, there's still a whole lot of ebbing to go before we get to the flow. ;)

Worldometers also reports that Florida found yet another new way to gently caress with the numbers:

quote:

Florida: Following changes in reporting, the figure shown for "Tests" now reflects the number of tests performed rather than the number of unique individuals tested.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mithaldu posted:

pretty sure elon musk has done SOMETHING

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Getting ready to announce my hot new IPO, Termnl, and the breakthrough paradigm shifting strategy it's based on, Youth N' Asia!

Back in March he promised to build ventilators if there was a shortage
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240486275892662273

de Blasio went "Yes please!"
https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1240628796878991362

Ol' Musky went online and found a Chinese supplier selling $800 Ventilators and bought exactly a million dollar's worth of them and had them shipped to hospitals
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1242279396226011137
https://twitter.com/NYCHealthSystem/status/1245008300518801408

..... and then it turned out they were CPAP machines for treating sleep apnea and not ICU ventilators
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/elon-musk-tesla-ventilator-controversy-explained-2020-4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey, I have a ResMed CPAP and it's high quality. These people should be grateful.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Worldometers also reports that Florida found yet another new way to gently caress with the numbers:

Lol get with the program, we've been doing this in the UK ever since our ministers promised 100,000 tests per day, months ago. The other trick was counting postal tests as being completed from the moment you posted them off, even though thousands of them never even got back to the testing labs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus loving Christ I just found out that not only is my mom not giving up her lunch lady gig at the local elementary school, she's still selling charity raffle tickets at the mall.

She's definitely gonna die sooner :(

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

apparently old people felt discrimiated against in Switzerland and they all complained to their MP and now over 65s have been officially removed from the high risk category :thumbsup:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

greazeball posted:

apparently old people felt discrimiated against in Switzerland and they all complained to their MP and now over 65s have been officially removed from the high risk category :thumbsup:

Hahaha what :psyduck:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Florida has been putting out the same report daily for months.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/cases-monitoring-and-pui-information/state-report/state_reports_latest.pdf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

greazeball posted:

Powerful public owning

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

"the same" meaning?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mithaldu posted:

"the same" meaning?
The explanations of what the numbers are in each section have been identical.

In particular -

Number of Florida residents tested per day
These counts include the number of people for whom the Department received PCR or antigen laboratory results by day. People tested on multiple days will be included for each day a new result was received. A person is only counted once for each day they are tested, regardless of whether multiple specimens are tested or multiple results are received.

has not changed for months.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 30, 2020

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The explanations of what the numbers are in each section have been identical.

In particular -

Number of Florida residents tested per day
These counts include the number of people for whom the Department received PCR or antigen laboratory results by day. People tested on multiple days will be included for each day a new result was received. A person is only counted once for each day they are tested, regardless of whether multiple specimens are tested or multiple results are received.

has not changed for months.

And yet:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/10/29/florida-changes-coronavirus-data-on-the-percent-of-tests-coming-back-positive/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And yet what? FLDOH daily publishes positivity rates for both all tests and tests without repeats, it’s the last two sections on page two of the report. They’ve been doing that all summer. And on top of that the article you linked says the COVID tracking project changed the numbers it uses once retesting got popular.

It’s all a big mess and who knows what actual numbers are, but the original thing I replied to heavily implied Florida changed how it reports numbers very recently, and I’m pretty sure that’s not correct.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And yet what? FLDOH daily publishes positivity rates for both all tests and tests without repeats, it’s the last two sections on page two of the report. They’ve been doing that all summer. And on top of that the article you linked says the COVID tracking project changed the numbers it uses once retesting got popular.

It’s all a big mess and who knows what actual numbers are, but the original thing I replied to heavily implied Florida changed how it reports numbers very recently, and I’m pretty sure that’s not correct.

The article published yesterday says Florida just changed how it reports its data. I mean, the title is literally "Florida changes coronavirus data."

Here's more:

"Florida changes how it reports daily COVID data.": https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/10/28/florida-changes-how-it-reports-daily-covid-data-is-it-more-accurate/

That said, I'm not sure whether it's a negative change.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That Jax article says the new way to report daily positivity is to weed out serial positives — and that calculation is already on their report (last thing on page two), and has been on that report every day all summer.

What am I missing? Is it “this number buried on page two, which has always been there, isn’t the ‘reported number’”?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
When I looked at the BBC news site earlier they had the main headline of "Glimmer of Hope" about covid. When I just opened it, that headline has now been replaced with "covid spreading faster than worst-case scenario". Ehh, close enough, right?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

When I looked at the BBC news site earlier they had the main headline of "Glimmer of Hope" about covid. When I just opened it, that headline has now been replaced with "covid spreading faster than worst-case scenario". Ehh, close enough, right?

Glimmer of Hope: It'll All Be Over Soon

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

:ohdear:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

coronavirus posted:

I don't think you are going to be mr good advice guy. Just stop.

We've reached the point where Coronavirus is a more trusted name.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Getting some of these vibes (VLR spoilers, if you care):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlWvhM79WI

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 30, 2020

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to ride a hellboat?

quote:

Cruise stocks rose Friday after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced it will replace its nearly 8-month old no-sail order with a less restrictive “Conditional Sailing Order.”

The no-sail order expires Saturday. The new conditional order will remain in effect until either Nov. 1, 2021, the expiration of the Department of Health and Human Services’ declaration of a public health emergency or when CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield decides to end it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/30/cruise-stocks-rise-as-cdc-eases-covid-sailing-restrictions-on-industry.html

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I work with a guy whose family went on cruises all of the time throughout his childhood and continuing up to last year, from the sound of it those people who are die hard about cruises give no shits and will jump at the opportunity to do it again. It's insane.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:rip:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

explosivo posted:

I work with a guy whose family went on cruises all of the time throughout his childhood and continuing up to last year, from the sound of it those people who are die hard about cruises give no shits and will jump at the opportunity to do it again. It's insane.

That’s too bad lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Please stop posting forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cruises are like traveling abroad for people who are scared of foreigners, I think?