Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am Otis posted:

Bag of weed for each em, extra nuggies for your favorite, and a metronome for the drummer, and take his bag of weed for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Is there something you can give a drummer to silence his kit between takes?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gripen5 posted:

brushes, maybe?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gripen5 posted:

We literally rented a space that had one large space and one medium sized space (like an oversized closet or small office/large storage area) and we stuck the drumkit, drummer, all his mics and everything in that other room and kept the door shut. He got a fantastic monitor mix off the board and we got his drums through the mains and monitors in "our" room. That *really* was awesome. If a drummer started getting antsy while we were working on something without him we just muted his mics and it's like he wasn't there.

VV Yeah, and when we weren't actually in a rehearsal/practice/recording session our drummers (we had five over the years) were all free-range! VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 25, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

We literally rented a space that had one large space and one medium sized space (like an oversized closet or small office/large storage area) and we stuck the drumkit, drummer, all his mics and everything in that other room and kept the door shut. He got a fantastic monitor mix off the board and we got his drums through the mains and monitors in "our" room. That *really* was awesome. If a drummer started getting antsy while we were working on something without him we just muted his mics and it's like he wasn't there.

this is the more humane version of morbid angel sticking pete sandoval in their storage unit and shutting the door with all the amps and only a box fan in september in florida

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

1967 Italian-made Vox Tone Bender V-828.

Not mine, just in for repair. All fixed up now, it sounds aaaawesome. I hope the customer doesn’t come get it for a while.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sold stuff, bought stuff

Bolt-neck version of the Squier M-80 from around 2005

With it's set-neck "Master Series" sibling

Basically an SG with Strat-esque horns. The set-neck is amazing, the bolt-on merely really good. 24.75" scale, 2v/2t and a three way switch. Master Series were made in Korea, the plain M-80 in Indonesia.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rad as poo poo! I want both of those so bad.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also sold and bought stuff.

I have a Rumble 40 on the way, and I grabbed Brainworx Ampeg B15N on sale.

On the guitar side:

Pedalboard (Metro 20) and Mercury 7 are new.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

curried lamb of God posted:

Also sold and bought stuff.

I have a Rumble 40 on the way, and I grabbed Brainworx Ampeg B15N on sale.

On the guitar side:

Pedalboard (Metro 20) and Mercury 7 are new.

My god that bass is perfect. Have fun getting lost in the k-hole with those pedals. So much fun.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My god that bass is perfect. Have fun getting lost in the k-hole with those pedals. So much fun.

It looks like the sale is over, but I grabbed the bass from Guitar Center's website for $329. It's a steal at that price, and even though it's one of the new Classic Vibe Made in Indonesia models, it feels just as solid as my older Made in China CVC Telecaster. As for the Mercury, I'm loving it so far! I have an H9 Max nearly permanently plugged into my synths, but wanted something more immediate for guitar. I've gotten some great ethereal sounds out of the cathedral setting, but I have so much more to explore.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Two hard to find things

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you get when you combine a global pandemic with a midlife crisis?

A credit card bill! nyuk nyuk nyuk

Running through a B1 Four for headphones, though I just got indefinite loan of an Ampeg BA-108 so I'm really only using the B1 for rhythm right now. I am so bad at music, I sound terrible, and I love it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 30, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Those Squier basses are both sick as hell

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Those Squier basses are both sick as hell

They sure are.

Plus the 7 string V and fluff wiener.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another day, another weird copy

"Polaris" branded copy of a Fender Lead 1 in poopy mocha brown

Barely legible logo

Made in Japan, very likely by Tokai like the Hondo-branded copies I have. This one is identical except for the neck and truss rod adjustment location.

I need to pull the pickup and see what brand, because that looks like a Super Distortion to me. This would have been made late 70s, early 80s, and the pickup looks like it matches the overall condition.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

widefault posted:

"Polaris" branded copy of a Fender Lead 1 in poopy mocha brown
This is pretty much the color I want to paint my Lead II when I finally get around to it. I need to figure out how to get the right mix of dyes into clearcoat to get that semi-transparent, looks like a stain but actually isn't look.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

DrChu posted:

This is pretty much the color I want to paint my Lead II when I finally get around to it. I need to figure out how to get the right mix of dyes into clearcoat to get that semi-transparent, looks like a stain but actually isn't look.

Seriously? Why? It's just the worst. BUT, it should just be a walnut stain to get the right look.

And I stopped at pawn shops after work and got more poo poo, er, fine music accessories

Epiphone Les Paul case, $30. Was in the "music room", with no tags and no LPs hanging on the rack it might belong to, so I offered $35, they accepted, then they entered it as $30 in the system to generate a tag and decided it was too much work to change it. It's good to be a known customer, I guess. Exterior covered in stickers and postage stamps, interior mint with keys and owners manual. Imprint in the "fur" says it held a bolt-neck something that was loosely LP shaped and had a Tune-a-matic and tailpiece. Everything at that shop right now is Strat-shaped, a bass, or acoustics.

Then I went to the other pawn shop

Blackstar Fly 3 with extension "cab" for stereo mode. $27.99, which seems like it'd be a good price for just the Fly 3.

So, yeah, pretty good day.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

widefault posted:

Seriously? Why? It's just the worst. BUT, it should just be a walnut stain to get the right look.
Yeah, it just looks right on that period of instruments. Its more than just a stain, since when it wears away you see the natural wood underneath like a normal paint job, a stain wouldn't do that. This is as close to a formula as I've found, however the dyes I have are yellow/brown/red rather than amber/walnut/cherry so there's a chance it turns out a disaster:

http://guitargarage.blogspot.com/2008/06/1973-telecaster-bass-re-modification.html

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sold off a Squier Affinity short-scale Duo-Sonic I never played and bought this at one of the pawn shops I hit weekly.

Of course, I already have a white Squier Vintage Mod Jazzmaster(and a Mustang, Jaguar, and Bass VI), but this is a 2019 Classic Vibe, so different pickups among other changes. Will see which one sounds/feels "right", then modify the poo poo out of the other.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Dunno if this is where to ask, but what are the best pedal patch cables I should buy without them being dummy expensive? like a 3 pack

and from where?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is probably the cheapest you're gonna find
https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Pedalboard-Pro-Angled-Interconect-Cable_c_11.html

Everywhere else is like $12-15 for a similar cable.

They also have a solderless system if you want to make custom lengths but the plugs only come in 5 packs(wtf) for $16 and then you still have to buy some cable or hack up an existing cable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GFS is legit for the money.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Thank u!!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I buy too much poo poo, but at least I think some of it is pretty cool

Rhapsoby(yes) ash-bodied hardtail strat. Headstock shape says higher-end Samick, pickguard says right around 1982/3. After that they had the traditional Fender bridge cutout on them.

Gorgeous grain with some figure in a few spots.

Three piece body with nicely matched seams. One piece maple neck with skunk stripe and heel truss rod adjustment, which also puts it pre-1983 for Samick. 7lbs10oz, but feels lighter.

Electronics scratchy, switch is iffy, but all those should clean up easy enough. Pickups are probably the same cheap ceramic ones in every other Strat copy from the 80s. They still sound like a Strat, though.

Well worth the $200 so far.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
widefault I am envious of all of the cool gear you share with us here. I really like that red Master Series M-80 (or whatever it's called) you posted further up on this page, and now I want that SSS hardtail strat. I feel like it's really rare to find an SSS hardtail (or even an HSS hardtail) guitar anywhere unless you go for a custom build, or some really expensive signature model.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Stand back goons while I make this the Stupid Music poo poo Thread part 2:

Gee Dad, it's a Daisy! I bought me a meme-tar. It's small and stupid and my favorite color and most important of all left handed. :twisted: Gonna get new strings tomorrow to do a proper set up, but the pickup sounds great in the ol' plug it in for two seconds test.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That is awesome in a dumb way! I'm envious! Please tell me you're playing brutal deathgrind on it!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That is really cool and I want one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have this one I got at a thrift store awhile ago

I also got a similar one with a strat shaped body and refinished it in pink sparkle for Christmas one year with a lm386 based amp replacing the stock electronics.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Stand back goons while I make this the Stupid Music poo poo Thread part 2:

You are required by law to play the thrashiest metal you can with this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Carth Dookie posted:

You are required by law to play the thrashiest metal you can with this.

Between this and BonHair's post I do realize this, but first I gotta get used to it: I decided to start by just replacing the 8s on it with the same and yeeha is it touchy. Part of it is I'm not used to such a light gauge (normally holding down 10s on a worn strat) the other part is the frets as a whole seem stupid high. As in I can get a whole semitone according to my tuner by pressing too hard and making the string touch the finger board. I would guess it's as close as you can get to a scalloped fretboard with out actually cutting one. Plus small neck too so it may be secretly geared for Yngwie style shredding instead. Part of me wonders if it was done on purpose because kids aren't likely to press as hard as adults, or if my setup is just poo poo. Going to consult with a guitar friend about that shortly.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I managed to snag one of these on Tuesday and it showed up yesterday. Got to play with it for a couple hours last night and I'm really liking it. You can treat it like a normal Fuzz Factory and it sounds great but the addition of the LPF, ramping, and expression pedal control can lead to some really crazy, synth-y, self-oscillating noises.

Stock pic because I haven't figured out yet where to work it into my board/chain.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, wow, that looks like it would be a ton of fun to mess with.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Good god that's alot of money. Congrats though, it does seem pretty cool.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Krustic posted:

Good god that's alot of money. Congrats though, it does seem pretty cool.

Yeah, $400 for a fuzz pedal is pretty insane but I've been kicking myself for missing the last limited Chase Bliss collab pedal (the Generation Loss, which is going for $1000+ now) and figured if I didn't like this one, it'd be easy to flip. Looks like I was right since the cheapest Bliss Factory on reverb now is $650.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Looks like Bliss Factory isn’t going to be a limited thing.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

bees x1000 posted:

Looks like Bliss Factory isn’t going to be a limited thing.

Good. Limited pedals are cool in theory and I understand it when it involves some hard to source vintage chip or transistor or whatever but otherwise I'd much rather see follow-up releases when the demand far exceeds the supply. I never would've gotten a Sunn0))) Life Pedal if Earthquaker hadn't done a second and third run of it.

Also, I hope this means more Generation Loss are coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Lawen posted:

Also, I hope this means more Generation Loss are coming.
They are, sorta not really. Cooper is working on the next version of the Gen Loss that will have many of the same features. The CBA collab was just a thing to do in the meantime. That particular pedal is limited because Cooper doesn't want a competing product floating out there forever.

In related news, the internet is full of angry babies and the bliss factory backlash has been bad enough that Joel has sworn off doing any more limited run things.