Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hard lol at Fang winning that argument.

Spear and Fang communicating verbally is my favorite thing on this show, it's all grunts and roars but the audience knows exactly what they're saying :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1320840899820048386

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard:

He posted a little while back about a Gus & Wally show too!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I liked Lower Decks and I hope it gets a second season. I enjoyed the characters and I'd like to see them do more things.

It's always been getting a second season. It's the same as Animaniacs getting a two-season contract: because both shows have a built in audience and it's incredibly unlikely they'll fail badly enough to lose money, they they were given what used to be called a full-season order right off the bat - but nowadays that 20ish episode full season order gets set up as two seasons because many short seasons market better on streaming.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just found this thread and I’m digging through from Page 1 for recommendations.

Just wanted to post about Primal. Tartovsky and their team have done something really special and pure with Primal. I am just absolutely haunted by the energy in this show, I feel like I could watch 1,000 episodes and never get bored. When Fang “died” at the end of the E5 and then there were months before any new episodes I was so distraught. I watched 6-7-8 last night and waiting for 9 to unlock and I think this might be my favorite animated non-comedy of all time.

We’ve really experienced a renaissance of cool animated programs but Primal feels like... I dunno, an overall high point of the medium? I just think this show is doing something brilliant and creative and brave and I’m hoping you all like it. I just got to the page where a goon mentions the first episode is coming in soon, so I’m preparing myself for some scorching hot takes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MikeJF posted:

It's always been getting a second season. It's the same as Animaniacs getting a two-season contract: because both shows have a built in audience and it's incredibly unlikely they'll fail badly enough to lose money, they they were given what used to be called a full-season order right off the bat - but nowadays that 20ish episode full season order gets set up as two seasons because many short seasons market better on streaming.

Animated shows specifically tend to get at least two seasons off the bat, assuming the executives in charge don't want to cancel them immediately. Animation requires a lot of time and effort, so they can't leave the crew waiting for ratings results if they want the second season to come out the same time as the first.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Animated shows specifically tend to get at least two seasons off the bat, assuming the executives in charge don't want to cancel them immediately. Animation requires a lot of time and effort, so they can't leave the crew waiting for ratings results if they want the second season to come out the same time as the first.

Yeah it's generally either this or partway though season 1's production (i.e. not immediately off the bat, but still before the show actually airs)

You can often tell when it doesn't happen to a show because there's often a big hiatus between seasons (see: a lot of adult swim shows, Mao Mao)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bust Rodd posted:

Just wanted to post about Primal. Tartovsky and their team have done something really special and pure with Primal. I am just absolutely haunted by the energy in this show, I feel like I could watch 1,000 episodes and never get bored. When Fang “died” at the end of the E5 and then there were months before any new episodes I was so distraught. I watched 6-7-8 last night and waiting for 9 to unlock and I think this might be my favorite animated non-comedy of all time.

We’ve really experienced a renaissance of cool animated programs but Primal feels like... I dunno, an overall high point of the medium? I just think this show is doing something brilliant and creative and brave and I’m hoping you all like it. I just got to the page where a goon mentions the first episode is coming in soon, so I’m preparing myself for some scorching hot takes.

Primal is art in its purest sense. It's not here to teach a lesson or tell a complex story—it's here to make you feel, and everything superfluous to that goal has been removed. It's a real testament to Tartovsky's vision and skill, as well as to the power of animation as a medium.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I've been wanting to just talk and write about Primal ever since I saw the first episodes, but I don't even know where to start. It's such a unique beast.

I did like this review of it, though:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a30560590/primal-review-genndy-tartakovsky-interview/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I wonder if it'll be an update or will it be 'That 90's Show'

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can chart my life so far in terms of Mission Hill: I went from a Kevin to an Andy and somehow settled into a comfortable Jim

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Oh drat. Mission Hills was one of those shows that I never really appreciated until it was gone and I got older. I guess technically it was already over because I saw it on Adult Swin...

This, Clone High, UnderGrads, and Mission Hills were my weird trifecta of "adult cartoons" that i somehow was able to watch as a teen.

Anyway, since half my social media feed is cartoon bullshit (thanks cartoon network and adult awim!) And the algorithm keeps sharing fanart of cartoons ; I finally decided to watch the one that pops up the most. Hazbin Hotel.

It's alright? Idk if its trying to hard to be "adult" or I'm just a jaded old gently caress. The art style is cute? I recognize some VA and hearing them yell gently caress is a lil weird but thats bout it.

Primal is still great and should win awards. Really makes up for the last season of Samurai Jack. Atleast the last 3 episodes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I still think Clone High is a timeless classic that will 100% always be funny.

My confession is that I was too young to ‘get’ Mission Hill and the only part of the show that stuck in my head was when the main character tries to impress some folks in an interview with one of his cartoons, but the joke is that the guy is misusing the phrase “Kafkaesque”, but he’s doing so in a way where’s he’s mispronouncing the word and I was like 14-15 and just like “I understand that this is funny on multiple levels but I am perhaps too stupid to understand them” and never really went back and gave it another shot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I rarely have occasion to write the word "Douchebag" but I always attempt to do so as neatly as possible

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is he mispronouncing Kafkaesque? :ohdear:

And yeah Clone High is great too. Both Mission Hill and Clone High are great because they're obviously somewhat dated, but most of the humor works regardless of the current culture. Even some of the really 90's humor is still funny (the EXTREME BLUE episode guest-starring the cast of Scrubs and Marilyn Manson comes to mind).

Goddamn I'm so excited at the prospect of more Mission Hill. Thankfully Kevin's voice actor is still pretty squeaky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_xNsTK-vE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clone High is one of those shows that everyone who sees it loves, yet got canceled any way for some reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Clone High is one of those shows that everyone who sees it loves, yet got canceled any way for some reason.

Animation is an order of magnitude more expensive than early 2000’s reality TV to both produce and promote.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It got pretty low ratings at the time. Anyone know if the promotion and targeting of the show was particularly bad?

The Gandhi controversy probably didn't help when it came to decision time, too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Venture Brothers died so we could get the new Clone High.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

I still think Clone High is a timeless classic that will 100% always be funny.

My confession is that I was too young to ‘get’ Mission Hill and the only part of the show that stuck in my head was when the main character tries to impress some folks in an interview with one of his cartoons, but the joke is that the guy is misusing the phrase “Kafkaesque”, but he’s doing so in a way where’s he’s mispronouncing the word and I was like 14-15 and just like “I understand that this is funny on multiple levels but I am perhaps too stupid to understand them” and never really went back and gave it another shot.

The best layer is that the woman in the cartoon is in fact using it correctly but Andy did that accidentally.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also a Canadian show, and those have a lot less longevity just in general.

I do think Clone High is a bit embedded in the whole MTV aesthetic and tropes of the time, but it doesn't really matter if you don't get the references.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was also lampooning hugely popular teen dramas and teen-soaps, it fired on all levels of you basically watched any television specifically designed for college students who missed High School

MikeJF posted:

It got pretty low ratings at the time. Anyone know if the promotion and targeting of the show was particularly bad?

The Gandhi controversy probably didn't help when it came to decision time, too.

What Gandhi controversy? Do you mean “Gandhi was historically, uh, let’s not get into it” type stuff or was there a specific backlash?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

What Gandhi controversy? Do you mean “Gandhi was historically, uh, let’s not get into it” type stuff or was there a specific backlash?

Wikipedia posted:

An article in Maxim Magazine depicting Mahatma Gandhi being beaten up by a muscular man sparked outrage in India.[12] Clone High was caught in a crossfire when citizens in the country conducted internet searches on the Maxim article but also found out about the show's Gandhi character on MTV's website. This sparked an outrage in India over the show's depiction of Gandhi.[12] On January 30, 2003, the 55th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination, approximately 150 protesters (including members of parliament) gathered in New Delhi and vowed to fast in response to Clone High.[13] Tom Freston, the head of Viacom (owner of MTV), was visiting the network's India branch and was "trapped in the building", according to Miller. In 2014, he recalled that protestors "basically threatened that they'd revoke MTV's broadcasting license in India if they didn't take the show off the air".[6]

MTV offered a quick apology, stating that "Clone High was created and intended for an American audience", and "we recognize and respect that various cultures may view this programming differently, and we regret any offense taken by the content in the show".[14] Miller would later recall that executives at MTV enjoyed the show, and asked for the duo to pitch a second season without Gandhi. Lord and Miller's two potential versions of a second season included one that made no mention of Gandhi's absence, and another that revealed that the character was, in fact, a clone of actor Gary Coleman all along, and the show continued as normal. "We pitched that, and it went up to the top at Viacom again and it got a big no," he remembered.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clone_High#Controversy_and_cancellation

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo if they had just made an entire 2nd season without Gandhi and never mentioned or brought him up...

I mean honestly I probably wouldn’t have watched, he was the best character by a mile and functioned as the heart of the show

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, while they haven't outright started, the reboot announcement mentioned a bunch of characters when it was describing the premise of the reboot, and Gandhi wasn't among them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Gary Coleman seems a little ridiculous, just say it's Ben Kingsley and have the character be a different historical figure portrayed by Kingsley every season.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately, while they haven't outright started, the reboot announcement mentioned a bunch of characters when it was describing the premise of the reboot, and Gandhi wasn't among them.

It could be funny if they just wrote episodes assuming he was present and just cut to dead air/empty space every time he was on screen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

Can they bring back his voice actor and just have him voice someone else?

Michael McDonald was great.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bring back Ghandi and let everyone be angry about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah i guess you can't really pitch a bunch of white people doing voicework for PoC characters anymore, so if they want the ethnic diversity of the cast they'll need to actually go out and hire a bunch of people.

If the writers are funny then it's worth it tho, and Macdonald could/should come back as maybe a new dean or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JFK is the real heart of Clone High and if they can get him right then everything else falls into place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

JFK is the real heart of Clone High and if they can get him right then everything else falls into place.

"Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!" is still the first thing that pops into my head whenever a piece of media mentions JFK in any way

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TwoPair posted:

"Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!" is still the first thing that pops into my head whenever a piece of media mentions JFK in any way

for me it's "Hey get off my dinghy!"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Bring back Ghandi and let everyone be angry about it.

:hmmyes:

it's like the south episode that couldn't show Mohammed in it.

This is my clone high memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DaXJmo9cro

I like your makeovers magic man

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 30, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I totally get why they would want to change out the VA for Gandhi for someone that isn’t a white dude, but I’d be lying I’d I said I wouldn’t be bummed on some level. Though as it’s still the same folks writing the character I bet I’d get over it quickly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
More like Catherine the so so

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Forgot to wash my hands!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm just starting watching Primal and one of the first things that occurs to me about it is something about animation in general that fascinates me, and always has. But maybe more so lately.

It's about how every single show, every single project has its own unique art style and execution. All the details of design. I'm watching this and thinking that in terms of things like line quality, the way the backgrounds look, the color palette, the music, the way characters move, the way the camera moves — this doesn't feel anything like Samurai Jack or Dexter's Lab. Except, well.... it does but it doesn't, you know?

Like, there are a few little "tells" you can always get by sticking within the work of a single director or studio. There are definitely commonalities across Tartakovsky's stuff. Like about the focus on non-dialogue storytelling, on physical acting, on pacing, on the ratio of action to slow contemplative scenes. Just like, say, you can probably tell when Jhonen Vasquez is involved in a project, or John K, or Lauren Faust, or Adam Reed. Even within Disney Feature Animation, you can tell there's a common visual language and tradition — some things remain constant, like some aspects of character design, scene pacing, the way lines are painted, the lavishness and "realism" of the designs. But from one show to another, when you start up a new project, you're developing an entirely new visual language to tell your story. A new bunch of model sheets, which gives rise to a whole new set of technologies and techniques that all your artists have to learn, to spend months or years with as they bring the germ of the vision to life. It's unheard-of, unthinkable even, to just ape your previous show's visual style and all its support mechanisms. You're basically reinventing everything from scratch every time.

I've been obsessed with the little details of the mechanics of animation for like my entire life, and the more the years go by and the more new shows pop up, I'm more and more impressed by the effort that each team pours into a new project — no matter whether it's a turn-the-crank kiddie afternoon show or a prestige feature, it's always a blank-slate chance for a room full of artists to develop a whole new language, basically from scratch. There will be a few things about the show that will link it undeniably to its director or studio or whatever, but for the most part you're not leveraging a single specific detail of anything you've used before; you're bringing all your talent and all your skills to bear on building a brand-new, never-before-seen languge of expression to life — characters that look like no characters have ever quite looked before, backgrounds that are beautiful in a specific way no backgrounds have been beautiful before, a new way of drawing chins or calves or the wind whipping hair, a brand-new idiosyncratic way to draw the pupil of an eye. Even if the physical geometry and the timing of how that eye narrows looks oddly familiar because of the way the director likes the timing to work or whatever ... it's still nothing like the way any other show has looked, and it has to be that way.

I've always wanted to be an animator. But I also know I wouldn't want to make my hobby into a paycheck, since that's the quickest way to turn a passion into something I hate. (That's how I justify never having actually made it in the field.) But till my dying day I'll be fascinated by just how endlessly inventive the whole field is, just in how big a goal the crew of every single project sets for itself, to make its show something utterly brand-new and unique and recognizable in an instant. How many ways can there possibly be to draw a face? Every time I think they've exhausted all the possibilities, they come up with something so new and by such a margin that I know I'd never have been able to be a part of that industry just because I don't have that kind of imaginative equipment in my head.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

hell yeah I too have a poo poo ton of :words: about Primal from a purely technical perspective. Some random unorganized thoughts:

• Instead of being outsourced to Korea like most Genndy tv series (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack's original run, and Sym-Bionic Titan were all Rough Draft Korea, while Jack season 5 was Digital eMation with a single Rough Draft episode), it's animated in France by Studio La Cachette.
  • One of the writers/storyboard artists is David Krentz, who's an actual Paeloartist, though Krentz was in Genndy's "circle" for a while before Primal (for example he co-wrote/storyboarded the 3rd ep of Samurai Jack season 5). Notably his Primal episodes (A Cold Death and Plague of Madness) actually had him involved in the pre-boarding story writing, and were solo-boarded instead of being co-boarded with Genndy.

okay that list was shorter than I'd thought it would be but yeah

edit: turns out this finale was another Krentz ep (down to him getting story credit again)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So this whole time Primal has actually taken place in the Hyborian Age. Awesome :allears: