Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Yeungling are also trump fans so they can go gently caress right off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Duvel posted:

Yeungling are also trump fans so they can go gently caress right off

Yeah I know. I normally don’t buy their stuff but the gf wanted to try it so I spent the 12 bucks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yeah I know. I normally don’t buy their stuff but the gf wanted to try it so I spent the 12 bucks.

That money went directly into Donald Trump's pockets and now he has enough money to be elected President For Life. Nice work.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Got to try some fresh cans of Trillium hazy ipas just now. Galaxy Fort Point and DDH Stillings Street. Incredibly mediocre! Hop burn aplenty in both examples. There is a lot of hop aroma but it smells more "hoppy" than anything; I had hoped for something a lot brighter. The finish was reasonably dry thankfully, but I don't think I can roll with all that implied sweetness and body. Not much difference between the beers, and certainly not a world's away from a random hazy at your local brewpub.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 27, 2020

broseph
Oct 29, 2005
Hop burn is a problem and any brewery that puts out cans and says to sit on them for a few weeks is lazy and just wants to turn tanks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

broseph posted:

Hop burn is a problem and any brewery that puts out cans and says to sit on them for a few weeks is lazy and just wants to turn tanks.

Wouldn't it be lazier to make less beer?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

broseph posted:

This is trillium in a nutshell

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

OG Fort Point was my platonic ideal of an american pale ale back in the day.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Trillium sucks/just hype. I had a few of their beers on tap last year at the Big E and none of them were particularly good or memorable.

Their space was also relatively close to the Sam Adams tent with fresh Octoberfest so

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deedee megadoodoo posted:

OG Fort Point was my platonic ideal of an american pale ale back in the day.

To be fair, I’m usually a Tree House fan and their Lights On/Out are usually my ideal American Pales but the last batch of Lights Out I got was lousy with hop burn.

broseph
Oct 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Wouldn't it be lazier to make less beer?

poo poo, ok so how about instead of packaging beer early and exposing it to oxygen, they be lazy and package it when its ready so it has a better drinkable shelf life?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

broseph posted:

poo poo, ok so how about instead of packaging beer early and exposing it to oxygen, they be lazy and package it when its ready so it has a better drinkable shelf life?

That makes more sense from a laziness perspective, yes.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Beer Exchange assignments have been sent!

You should be receiving an email containing your assignment and their likes/dislikes. If you have any questions or comments you can email me back but I probably won't read them.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

If anyone is interested in a Modern Times League membership, please let me know. I have (1) I can gift until end of day Saturday so you are guaranteed to get in. Opens up to the League after that, and sounds like they'll go pretty quick.

EDIT: All Claimed. That went quick.

Zam fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 30, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

<DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES>

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
it's the (Munich) dunkel we made almost two years ago that the owner rebranded for some reason. the base is supposed to be all Barke Munich (a different variety of barley than their other malts), but our supplier didn't have enough, so it's 75% Barke and 25% regular Munich. um, since you wanted to know more.

really happy with it; malty bread and caramel flavors up front and a dry, noble hop finish.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

funkybottoms posted:

it's the (Munich) dunkel we made almost two years ago that the owner rebranded for some reason. the base is supposed to be all Barke Munich (a different variety of barley than their other malts), but our supplier didn't have enough, so it's 75% Barke and 25% regular Munich. um, since you wanted to know more.

really happy with it; malty bread and caramel flavors up front and a dry, noble hop finish.

Is the Barke more like a Type I or Type II?

I use a lot of Munich II in my beers and might have to give them a try.

broseph
Oct 29, 2005

Scarf posted:

Is the Barke more like a Type I or Type II?

I use a lot of Munich II in my beers and might have to give them a try.

Color wise it’s closer to type II.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What’s good from 3 Floyds? Not talking about Dark Lord. I’ve been seeing some random 4 packs around town lately.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I had Petrus Aged Pale and its ok

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Looks like these are my local choices:

Alpha King
Barbarian Haze
Gumballhead
Lazer Snake
Permanent Funeral (100 IBU, 10.5%) :wow:
Zombie Dust

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 30, 2020

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Alpha King
Barbarian Haze
Gumballhead
Lazer Snake
Zombie Dust

Zombie Dust and Gumballhead straight from the source are great when fresh :cheerdoge: tbh I'm not too familiar with them outside of those two classic flagships and Dark Lord

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I visited the brewpub a while back and Gumballhead and Zombie Dust were great. I also got a lactose IPA (apocalypse moo or something?) which was decent and surprisingly prescient in hindsight.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I had Petrus Aged Pale and its ok

It's $8 around here for the 750ml so I don't think you can do much better price-wise for a no frills but still pretty good sour.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Alpha King
Barbarian Haze
Gumballhead
Lazer Snake
Zombie Dust

PF was at one point my favorite ipa in the world. Haven't had it in years. ZD is still good, if not the revolutionary thing it was. I'll also suggest GH and AK are in that list of beers you should drink before you die just because of what they mean to Midwest beer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

It's $8 around here for the 750ml so I don't think you can do much better price-wise for a no frills but still pretty good sour.

I did not get it nearly as cheap, but yeah I like it. Wild fermented sours are so much better than kettle sours imho.

It is SO fricken dry. That took me by surprise

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wild fermented sours are so much better than kettle sours imho.

I always thought you were a class act but this seals the deal. Hell yeah dude.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait I'm out of touch, is that a controversial opinion now???

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Podima posted:

Wait I'm out of touch, is that a controversial opinion now???

I don't think so. At all.

Also... Is this your first post in a long time here?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it is, been lurking for a hot minute for whatever reason. Sup?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Podima posted:

Welcome back!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I got some Alpha King, Laser Snake, and Permanent Funeral. Probably cracking into the PF tonight once the kiddo goes to bed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What’s election night beverages y’all got lined up

I got ABT12 and/or Trappist rochefort 10. Depending on how poo poo goes depends on if open both

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A bottle of nyquil and some earplugs

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

Pbr hard coffee. A+ or A++?

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
if you think the thing's gonna be decided that evening, uh, you might end up pretty drunk

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

What’s election night beverages y’all got lined up

I got ABT12 and/or Trappist rochefort 10. Depending on how poo poo goes depends on if open both

Whisky and gin.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Pbr hard coffee. A+ or A++?

A++ but I can really only have one or the sugary hangover is the worst.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Not sure what I’ll be drinking yet but I can tell you I have already scheduled Wednesday off from work.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

PF was at one point my favorite ipa in the world. Haven't had it in years. ZD is still good, if not the revolutionary thing it was. I'll also suggest GH and AK are in that list of beers you should drink before you die just because of what they mean to Midwest beer.

I legit still remember the first PF I had. Revelatory beer at the time, but I also haven't had it in years at this point...

You know what is wild? Coolship Red dropped in Chicago the first week of October and is STILL easily found. COOLSHIP loving RED. We've been drinking like one a week because why not? Maybe caring about Coolship Red make me an old man in the beer world and instead I should be posting about hazies and pastry stouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I legit still remember the first PF I had. Revelatory beer at the time, but I also haven't had it in years at this point...

You know what is wild? Coolship Red dropped in Chicago the first week of October and is STILL easily found. COOLSHIP loving RED. We've been drinking like one a week because why not? Maybe caring about Coolship Red make me an old man in the beer world and instead I should be posting about hazies and pastry stouts?

Tired: getting jelly about rare beers

Wired: literal jelly beers

https://i.imgur.com/H2E3BE4.gifv