Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Katt posted:

I literally googled "Bullet proof thermos" in hopes of finding a thermos I could justify adding to my combat vest for tactical applications of coffee.

Sadly it only yielded a whole brand of lovely Thermos's from a company named "bullet proof" or something like that.

Like it would only have to be moderately shrapnel absorbent and I could cover it in matt black tape.

I'm a left handed pistol shooter so I have a ton of spare space on my combat vest.

Bulletproof or not, just make sure it has the option to unscrew the top lid without opening it, so as to vent the steam inside. The small thermoses are dangerous little timebombs just waiting to spew forth their scalding contents on the unawares. Happened to me once, thankfully i had safety googles and gloves on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

P.S. A note to the Danes: can you try to keep Peter Madsen behind bars? Like don't let him craft fake guns and bomb belts in future, okay?

No. He's not brown, we have to treat him nicely. Besides, it's not like he's a literal psychopath. What's he gonna do anyway, build a space rocket and escape the country in it?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BonHair posted:

No. He's not brown, we have to treat him nicely. Besides, it's not like he's a literal psychopath. What's he gonna do anyway, build a space rocket and escape the country in it?

I don't know where he could possible go. Everyone hates him, and it's not like he's got a spare submarine to hide in forever.

Or does he?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

for criminal justice, the principle of presumed innocence is very important and creates some genuinely gnarly situations with regards to sexual violence and the like

when it comes to someone elected to represent a party on behalf of the voters, this is much less a concern. the party can and should shitcan you once it decides that you're a liability, and being a sex pest is fortunately enough of a liability to force action. it's got nothing to do with the representative's individual rights or the criminal system at all, it's just a matter of how the organisation wants to run. it remains astounding to me how many social democratic bigwigs have managed to forget this basic fact of organisational life

This entire issue is a giant can of worms, but can actually be navigated in a mostly sensible fashion using good old [the actual rules of our loving society].

You're basically talking about three seperate situations depending on the perp and circumstances.

1. Criminal consequence: The presumption of innocence and the regular protections of the accused apply, as do other procedural safeguard enshrined in criminal procedure law and human rights law. The principle of presumption of innocence only really applies here though.

2. Social consequence: The right not to be slandered or libel'd protects regular joe schmoe from being accused of sexual misconduct outside of the criminal justice system. It is (in Norway at least) only possible to make a claim of sexual misconduct either by filing a police report or confiding in a natural confidante without risking a law suit.

Strl posted:

§ 320. Forholdet til erstatningsansvar for ærekrenkelser
Den som beskylder noen for å ha overtrådt bestemmelser i dette kapitlet kan ikke gjøres rettslig ansvarlig for beskyldningen etter skadeserstatningsloven § 3-6 a dersom beskyldningene er fremsatt

a) i en anmeldelse, eller
b) av den som hevder å være fornærmet i en fortrolig samtale med en person som det er naturlig å betro seg til, for å bearbeide konsekvensene av handlingen.
Anmelderen eller den som hevder å være fornærmet, kan likevel gjøres rettslig ansvarlig dersom det var grovt uaktsomt å legge til grunn at opplysningene var sanne.

Publicly accusing someone of sexual misconduct is sanctionable, which is why it's unusual to solve non-criminal justice sexual misconduct cases through public shaming and/or frontier justice.

However, there is a big exception with regards to the right to free speech, and indeed commensurate with the human right to free speech: If you're a public figure, it is among other things a matter of public interest whether you can credibly accused of misconduct. The lack of this protection ties neatly into the third issue:

3. Organisational consequence: If you are a public figure your alleged misconduct is not a private matter and may absolutely be an issue that an organisation might not appreciate being associated with. When representing any organisation there is an implicit duty of lojalty, the breach of which through allegations of misconduct is more than sufficient to allow this organisation to rid themselves of said alleged misconductee with no real risk of a lawsuit. Then there's other implicit duties, ethical standards, usually any organisation had a whole range of rules and principles as active requirements the violation of which means expulsion.

Simply said; if you're a public figure and you have credibly been accused of sexual misconduct, your organisation must evaluate such claims for veracity, decide on filing a police report and most definitely throw you out of the organisation if they find the claims credible. Failure to do so is either due to negligence in process (any organisation must process claims seriously, legally, ethically, morally etc. and have clear and consistent rules for handling misconduct) which would cast serious doubts over the organisation as a whole or due to the managment of the organisation being corrupt - through nepotism or just a general lack of moral fortitude. There is no universal right to due process for membership in an organisation, nor realistic avenue for a lawsuit against an organisation after misconduct. For the perp. Victims, however, I really wish would sue more, because in many cases they absolutely can.

The point being, for a political party it doesn't really even need to rise to the level of a sex pest for it to be a serious issue in need of serious intervention. The first time someone is credibly reported is the same time consequences need to happen, or you can reasonably conclude that the party is either incompetent (to be fair, with my experience with politicians this is far from unlikely) or the leadership is negligent, corrupt or outright malicious (which, yeah same).

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nenonen posted:

P.S. A note to the Danes: can you try to keep Peter Madsen behind bars? Like don't let him craft fake guns and bomb belts in future, okay?

There is a long and storied history of prisoners crafting fake guns from stuff like carved potatoes. It doesn't take much.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

thotsky posted:

There is a long and storied history of prisoners crafting fake guns from stuff like carved potatoes. It doesn't take much.

I can only assume this is a danish tradition.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Never heard of guns carved out of soap?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
The guy is basically crossing off outlandishly heinous crimes to try on like a bingo card for the particularly deranged and depraved

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Maybe don't give the murdering tinkerer access to tools and materials. Just spitballing here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress that chain! I'm doing all my shopping in the SS coops.

It's looking bad for Finland. Well at least we got this german supermarket chain nowadays.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why are all the finnish stores called stuff like K-rauta, S-market and R-kioski? What's the deal with all these one-letter chains?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beeswax posted:

Why are all the finnish stores called stuff like K-rauta
Kesko

Beeswax posted:

, S-market
S group, (SOK, Suomen Osuuskauppojen Keskuskunta)

Beeswax posted:

R-kioski?
Reitan Group

Why they contract everything is probably because :effort:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Just saw a news report about closing down schools in segregated areas and moving the students, bussing them if you will, to whiter areas.

https://www.vk.se/2020-10-26/trollhattan-stanger-skolor-och-bussar-elever

They even interviewed this very white lady in a fur coat and hat, who couldn't look more quintessentially upper class if she tried, complaining about the integration.

And I'm sitting here thinking "is this a rerun from the US in the 60's"?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Well, the lack of integration along with the number of immigrants is what has caused this.
This is pretty much the same idea as putting the rowdy kid next to the nice girl in the hope that it will calm things down.

In contrast to USA, there is not actually anything stopping the segregated kids to use the free school choice in order to go to less segregated schools.
It have long been seen that more well-educated immigrants do exactly this for their kids and have done so for a long time.
So the kids that now will get bussed around are those whose parents don't make that choice for various reasons.

What the actual effect will be, probably depends on how well this performs.
If it doesn't work, a lot of parents will move their kids to other schools and the kids left are those whose parents don't care enough about their kids schools.
One reason why the opposition to the current free school system is not massive is because parents have little tolerance for integration efforts if it affects their kids.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Well, the lack of integration along with the number of immigrants is what has caused this.
This is pretty much the same idea as putting the rowdy kid next to the nice girl in the hope that it will calm things down.

Not really similar as it is really hard to do integration if you are never subjected to the people that you are supposed to integrate with.

quote:

In contrast to USA, there is not actually anything stopping the segregated kids to use the free school choice in order to go to less segregated schools.

It have long been seen that more well-educated immigrants do exactly this for their kids and have done so for a long time.
So the kids that now will get bussed around are those whose parents don't make that choice for various reasons

The kids/parents care way more about distance to school and friends there.

When my generation got to pick gymnasiums the vast amount of kids picked a school according to a mix of these criterias.
1. Where friends and older siblings/cousins have been and/or recommended.
2. Where your general focus area was available.
3. Where you could enter with your grades.

This made several gymnasiums basically immigrant only and white ethnic swedes people only. I doubt the overall dynamics of school choice has changed much since then.

quote:

One reason why the opposition to the current free school system is not massive is because parents have little tolerance for integration efforts if it affects their kids.

True, and that is why they should be forced to it because the free school choice is crap for society at large.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

evil_bunnY posted:

Reitan Group

This is not the origin, Reitan bought it only recently. The original name was Rautatiekirjakauppa, literally Railway (literally literally Iron Road) Book Store, which was shortened to Rautakirja (Iron Book), then to R-kioski.

Everyone seems to love abbreviations. What's SAAB, ABB, IKEA..? ABLOY is the most ridiculous one, all it stands for is Aktionbolaget Lås/Lukko Osakeyhtiö so two fifths of the name is redundant already. I think I prefer syllable combo names, like Valmet (Valtion Metallitehtaat) or Kemira (Kemikaalit-Mineraalit-Ravinteet or chemicals, minerals, nutrients).

If you wanna know what Finns have been angsting about lately, some hacker stole all the patient data from a totally competent major private psychotherapy company, covering tens of thousands of patients. Then they started blackmailing the company and when that failed, directly contacted all the customers, because why not. And all this because the start-up CEO was a self-learned programmer...

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

This is not the origin, Reitan bought it only recently. The original name was Rautatiekirjakauppa, literally Railway (literally literally Iron Road) Book Store, which was shortened to Rautakirja (Iron Book), then to R-kioski.

Everyone seems to love abbreviations. What's SAAB, ABB, IKEA..? ABLOY is the most ridiculous one, all it stands for is Aktionbolaget Lås/Lukko Osakeyhtiö so two fifths of the name is redundant already. I think I prefer syllable combo names, like Valmet (Valtion Metallitehtaat) or Kemira (Kemikaalit-Mineraalit-Ravinteet or chemicals, minerals, nutrients).

If you wanna know what Finns have been angsting about lately, some hacker stole all the patient data from a totally competent major private psychotherapy company, covering tens of thousands of patients. Then they started blackmailing the company and when that failed, directly contacted all the customers, because why not. And all this because the start-up CEO was a self-learned programmer...

This was awesome! Rautatiekirjakauppa is my new favorite finish word.

Not too be left too far behind, Swedish security firm Gunnebo leaked blueprints to more of less everywhere. Like banks, riksdagen and any other sensitive place. So now you can be a supervillain, studying where cameras are pointing, how the physical security is set up etc.

E: the password used to steal ALL THE DATA FROM A SECURITY FIRM? "password01"

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

So the kids that now will get bussed around are those whose parents don't make that choice for various reasons.

What the actual effect will be, probably depends on how well this performs.
If it doesn't work, a lot of parents will move their kids to other schools and the kids left are those whose parents don't care enough about their kids schools.
If you could source your fasch opinions instead of presenting them as fact that'd own

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This thread has a proud history of extensive footnotes and reference-use to uphold

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Amazing.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Any other Swedes slightly tired of listening to Swedish upper class pundits "both sides"-ing the US election?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nenonen posted:

I was always fond of the early 20th century habit of creating ridiculously long words by stacking together some kind of description of the business with the corporation form (usually a joint stock company, "aktiebolag") - the most well known of these is probably SAAB, Svenska Aeroplanaktiebolaget, but my personal favorite is Svenska Turbinfabriksaktiebolaget Ljungström (STAL, now long defunct). Scania was originally one of these, starting out as Maskinfabriksaktiebolaget Scania. Basically all of these have long since done away with these names, but there are holdouts - Ericsson's legal name in the corporate registry is still Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Frekkie Melody posted:

Any other Swedes slightly tired of listening to Swedish upper class pundits "both sides"-ing the US election?

you’ve got no idea friendo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Frekkie Melody posted:

Is that not the right attitude to have? Both sides being poo poo, I mean.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

thotsky posted:

Is that not the right attitude to have? Both sides being poo poo, I mean.

Not an attitude that most poor minorities in the US can afford to adopt.

You need to earn at least this much money with employer founded healthcare on top before you can afford to shrug your shoulders over this election.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

poor americans barely vote as it is, so a lot of the poorest people in america do seem to shrug their shoulders, especially minorities

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sometimes the jokes write themselves: Paludan has signed up for the Swedish party Alternativ.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

poor americans barely vote as it is, so a lot of the poorest people in america do seem to shrug their shoulders, especially minorities

I aggressively urge you to look up the myriad of reasons as to why they seem to ~mysteriously~ barely vote. the answers may surprise you!

Hell, I voted but who knows if it’ll count! All up to a hyperdefunded postal service if it shows up on time and if it’s counted.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Yikesaroo.

The poor and minorities are systematically discouraged from voting, both physically due to not being able to take time from work to go vote or be able to spend time in line to vote (predominantly poor and minority areas have few polling places so lines take hours) and also due to neither party really offering them something that would change their material conditions. Democrats love means testing and the status quo and Republicans love to blame The Other of the Day.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sometimes the jokes write themselves: Paludan has signed up for the Swedish party Alternativ.

I'm going to assume it's not a sister party to the Danish Alternativet?

Anyway, loving immigrants and so on and so forth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

poor people vote less across the board. blaming it all on suppression is asinine - an equally vital part of it is that people on the margins generally don't feel they have much of a stake in society - quite rightly.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

I'm going to assume it's not a sister party to the Danish Alternativet?

Anyway, loving immigrants and so on and so forth.

Yes. Imagine people too awful for the Sweden Democrats.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

poor people vote less across the board. blaming it all on suppression is asinine - an equally vital part of it is that people on the margins generally don't feel they have much of a stake in society - quite rightly.
The point isn’t that it’s all suppression, it’s that it’s almost impossible to tell due to it being so prevalent across America. It’s not really shrugging about the election if going to vote is something you have to budget for, or lose one of your jobs over.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The point isn’t that it’s all suppression, it’s that it’s almost impossible to tell due to it being so prevalent across America. It’s not really shrugging about the election if going to vote is something you have to budget for, or lose one of your jobs over.

This. It isn’t just suppression - though it does play a part. It’s gerrymandering, the electoral college loving around, felons able to/not able to vote, zero access to polling locations, the gutted USPS, self appointed poll watcher nutters, “this signature doesn’t match”, Americans having multiple jobs to barely make ends meet and THEN trying to find the time to vote, rules that change on how someone can or cannot register, insanely hosed up rules regarding what is and is not valid ID... and keep in mind, the rules are not uniform for all 50 states.

The candidates are pretty godawful. Like, having to hold my nose again and select being shot in the foot than be shot in the face is loving miserable. but for every one like me, there are dozens more who wish they could vote with the semi relative ease that I do with a damned absentee ballot that may or may not even be counted, thank you Supreme Court.

The scandipol thread is not the thread to go into this, obviously, but goddamn you can serve dip with the chips on my shoulder having to deal with glib remarks about American voters.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok

the point remains, poor people and minorities very clearly *can* afford to think that both american parties are too poo poo to bother voting for, since a disproportionate amount of them don't vote and that disproportion is not solely attributable to suppression

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, the poor consistently having lower turnout in elections is a very well documented phenomenon, and the correlation between feeling represented and voting is only slightly less so

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Especially when the best case result is maintaining your current lovely situation. The suppression takes a lot of forms to, including the ridiculous two party system. Whereas our Scandinavian system doesn't allow literal Nazis in parliament because the vote was split with the crazy racist libertarians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
US voters can easily experience longer waiting times for a single election than a Danish voter might experience for every single election they participate in. Even if they had better options, that’s a huge barrier to voting. I really can’t in good conscious dismiss skipping that as shrugging. Like, what do you think the effect would be here if you did the same in poorer neighborhoods here?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Last election or the one before probably, some kind of IT broke down at my polling place in Copenhagen, and instead of waiting in the hour long queue, I opted to come back later. If there had been no chance of a better "later", or if it took me literally hours to get there, there is no chance I would have bothered. And I'm a super cushy middle class rear end in a top hat who believes that voting is important. If my income was on the line, you can be drat sure I'd stay away from wasting hours.

Incidentally, this was in Nørrebro, which is very immigrant heavy. I remember it being a European election though, so I doubt it was deliberate, because who the hell cares about one polling place out of the EU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's not like here where you can vote early for several days before the election so you can just stroll in at your convenience and fart out a vote without even a single person ahead in the queue.