Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like to think when it comes to levels the dev should nick idea locations from Silent Hill. An amusement park would be a hell of an interesting ghost hunt but I suppose it won't work with how the game's set up to have them pick a room and hover around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Incelshok Na posted:

Man, what ever happened to Roberta Williams?

i keep accidentally calling this game "phantasmaphobia"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i keep accidentally calling this game "phantasmaphobia"

I did this for a solid week or two with no idea I was saying it wrong until my friend corrected me on it

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
New favorite thing: grabbing the TV remote and waiting for someone to enter the TV room alone.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i've been calling it phantasmagoria the whole time

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Heeey, any one up for a round of pharmacology?

Wait... that explains the sanity pills.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Communist Thoughts posted:

i've been calling it phantasmagoria the whole time

I jokingly called it Untitled Ghost Game once to friends and now that's how I refer to it in my head every time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mongoose posted:

Keep your flashlight on to detect hunts. When it starts blinking, a hunt will start in a few seconds and the blinking will continue until the hunt ends. Run and hide somewhere then turn off your flashlight and don't use voicechat. Hopefully you'll have a buddy somewhere safe who will call out over the radio when the hunt ends. The radio won't work during the hunt, so as soon as you hear it come back you know the hunt is over.

I think the current consensus is that leaving the flashlight on doesn't actually matter, you don't ever have to turn it off even if you're being hunted. I know I personally haven't been grabbed in like 20 hunts and I never turn mine off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Incelshok Na posted:

Man, what ever happened to Roberta Williams?

Already impossibly wealthy before Sierra. Boats on her personal yacht between estates on multiple continents.

https://www.sierragamers.com/

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Update #3 is here. https://steamcommunity.com/games/739630/announcements/detail/2910974785798922912

quote:

Fixes
* Fixed a bug where the microphone would reset in the audio options each game.
* Several optimisations to help with timeout disconnects.
* Potential fix for anyone on a University internet not being able to connect to the server.
* Fixed a bug where dead players couldn't use voice chat.
* Fixed a bug where the Non-VR pause menu would become unusable.
* Fixed a bug where dead players were able to use the walkie talkie.
* Fixed a bug where you could take a Photo outside of Edgefield and it would count as Dead Body evidence.
* Fixed some spots where you could glitch through walls on Tanglewood.
* Fixed some spots on the Farmhouse maps where the Ghost could get stuck.
* Fixed an issue where you could change the text style of your name.
* Fixed a bug where VR Toggle mute was set to hold and not toggle.
* Fixed a Non-VR bug where the pause menu screens would overlap.
* Fixed a bug where rebinding drop to left mouse button would make the main menu unusable.
* Potential fix for save files being corrupted if you crash.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost wouldn't always lower the room temperature.
* Fixed a bug where changing the voice language wouldn't change the voice recognition language.
* Fixed an issue where your would get disconnected by client timeout when loading levels.
* Fixed a bug where your sanity would raise during a Ghost Event.
* Fixed a bug where the ghost death hands could be seen on cameras.
* Fixed a bug where you could take photos through walls/ doors.
* Fixed an issue where players with 1GB vram graphics cards would crash in multiplayer when loading into a level.
* Fixed a bug where the photo evidence names would be in different languages depending on who took the photo.
* Fixed a bug where your sanity would raise by 25 during one of the ghost events.
* Fixed a bug where the windows and door handles in some doors were still visible when you were dead.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost Orb would sometimes get disabled.
* Fixed a bug where the Smudge Sticks smoke would last forever if you swapped it into your inventory.
* Fixed a bug where you could get the temperature through the wall when you were outside.
* Fixed an issue where objects could fall behind the truck shelves and be made unreachable.
* Fixed a bug where several player sound effects were not being affected by the master volume.
* Fixed a bug where the push to talk button had to be held down for 1 second after your question for it to register as a phrase.
* Fixed a bug where the default items daily challenge wouldn't complete.
* Fixed a bug where the thermometer would set off motion sensors.
* Ridgeview: Fixed a bug where the ghost orb would spawn outside of the basement.
* Fixed a bug where VR players would spawn outside the Truck if they were outside of their play space.
* Ridgeview: Fixed a bug where the ghost orb would spawn outside of the basement.
* Fixed a bug where the Ghost would try to throw items that were on the VR inventory belt.

Changes
* Upgraded the server code to PUN2. This should fix most timeout disconnects and all voice chat issues.
* If your voice recognition is working you can no longer get a response on the Spirit Box just by talking, it will now only answer if you asked a question.
* Updated localisation.
* Lowered the pitch of the EMF Reader sound.
* Lowered the brightness of the lights on the main menu.
* The Australia server has been removed from the region selection.
* Ghost writing will now count for photo evidence.
* The lobby room list will no longer show empty or full rooms.
* Lowered the amount of sanity that you lose during a ghost event.
* The Ghost Orb and Bone will now spawn more towards the middle of the room.
* If your voice recognition stops working the Spirit Box will default to giving a random response by talking.
* The room temperature will no longer raise over time if the ghost leaves the room.
* Most of the save data has been moved off of the save file to help with optimization and help prevent save files getting corrupted when you crash.
* The server invite code will now always be hidden by default.

New
* Added a voice sensitivity slider in the audio options.
* The text on the Spirit Box will say what the response said.
* Added a copy button for the server invite code that can be used when the code is hidden.
* Added text to show the server version on the server password screen.
* Added a button to enter passwords from your clipboard.
* Added LIV support for VR.
* Additions for Halloween.

Ghosts getting a lot more dangerous now that events don't raise someone's sanity.

I'm not sure how to read the temperature change it could just be bug fixing or making the thermometer slightly less useful, and/or more consistent. It'll make phantom, banshee, and wraith kind of a nightmare if it works like I expect, "Where's the ghost?" "Dunno, whole house is cold."

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Just played a round where someone timed out and the mouse and keyboard to toggle different cameras and nightvision stopped working. We couldn't get any other third evidence so guessed ghost orb and of course that was the correct ghost. Funny how that works. So still a good amount of bugs. Hope he keeps working on it, maybe even get someone to work on bug fixes so he can work towards adding more content.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unhappy Meal posted:

Update #3 is here. https://steamcommunity.com/games/739630/announcements/detail/2910974785798922912

Ghosts getting a lot more dangerous now that events don't raise someone's sanity.

I'm not sure how to read the temperature change it could just be bug fixing or making the thermometer slightly less useful, and/or more consistent. It'll make phantom, banshee, and wraith kind of a nightmare if it works like I expect, "Where's the ghost?" "Dunno, whole house is cold."

Is this on the stable branch then? My friends and I have been playing on the test branch pretty much since it came out because that's where all the updating seemed to be happening at.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

explosivo posted:

Is this on the stable branch then? My friends and I have been playing on the test branch pretty much since it came out because that's where all the updating seemed to be happening at.

Yes, that's a stable update so you've likely had most of those for awhile.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unhappy Meal posted:

Yes, that's a stable update so you've likely had most of those for awhile.

Gotcha, good to know. It seemed like everyone was playing on the beta branch anyway because of all the voice problems with the stable one. Seems like people could probably migrate back now with these updates.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay, what the hell qualifies as a Ghost Event? My regular group has figured out how to do all of the current objectives (when they're doable at all) except the Ghost Event one seems pretty random or inconsistent. See the ghost nudge a paint can on the ground? Ghost event. Door moved slightly? Ghost event. Spooky sound? Ghost event. Noticed absolutely nothing? Ghost event. Ghost appears in front of you, hangs out for a while, does a mini photoshoot? No ghost event. That last one has happened to us at least twice, is a ghost event basically any visible ghost activity other than seeing the ghost itself?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay, what the hell qualifies as a Ghost Event? My regular group has figured out how to do all of the current objectives (when they're doable at all) except the Ghost Event one seems pretty random or inconsistent. See the ghost nudge a paint can on the ground? Ghost event. Door moved slightly? Ghost event. Spooky sound? Ghost event. Noticed absolutely nothing? Ghost event. Ghost appears in front of you, hangs out for a while, does a mini photoshoot? No ghost event. That last one has happened to us at least twice, is a ghost event basically any visible ghost activity other than seeing the ghost itself?

I think it is exactly that, but the game is also still janky as hell and sometimes doesn't quite work the way it should.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

explosivo posted:

I think it is exactly that, but the game is also still janky as hell and sometimes doesn't quite work the way it should.

Lol yeah, we were playing last night and even with all the bug fixes in the new patch, we still had a couple of ghosts that just never made anything cold even though their evidence included freezing temps. We've accepted the bugs as something you just have to live with &/or actively account for.

I'm actually surprised how little the bugginess bothers my current group. I remember reading an article recently that said that based on reading and analyzing a big swath of steam reviews and review scores, the average steam user is more likely to leave a negative review based on poor game design (as much as you can quantify that, I guess...) than bugs. I feel like this game is sort of the perfect example of that, my group is a mix of two people that play a lot of games and two who aren't big gamers but are into horror, and nobody is ever really that bothered by the bugs because the actual experience of playing is consistently either fun, funny, or terrifying. We do occasionally have a round that feels a bit like a dud or we can't even find the ghost, but for every one of those, there's half a dozen that scare the crap out of us.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You're right, it is kind of amazing what people are willing to put up with as long as the game itself is worth the bullshit. One thing they better never fix is the hilariously janky movement. Doing the dance of our people after a successful hunt is practically tradition now.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

explosivo posted:

You're right, it is kind of amazing what people are willing to put up with as long as the game itself is worth the bullshit. One thing they better never fix is the hilariously janky movement. Doing the dance of our people after a successful hunt is practically tradition now.

Yeah we do the limbo moonwalk while waiting for people to add gear before matches. While I'm all for the game improving continually, and I think with some good content additions and gameplay improvements this could be the multiplayer horror game to beat for a while, I also hope it doesn't lose some of its charm as the dev continues to work on it. There's certainly some charm in the jankiness of the game, but I also think there's a lot of charm in the fact that it's meant to be a fun and frightening experience first and foremost. It's a refreshing change from the standard indie horror game approach these days, which seems to be devs either trying to build the next great steam-bait, or tell you their intricate Silent Hill 2 fan canon deep lore (you were the monster the whole time, obviously).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Those changes all look pretty great! Gonna need to hop back in to see how it feels now with some of the bugs squashed, and it'll be nicer getting new people into it if there aren't more voice issues.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Uuuuugh. They're using the il2cpp build option in Unity with this update. Probably to kill the 40 person lobbies for a bit. Does mean I'll actually have to do work to gut and mod ghost behavior now.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

while i hope they fix the vr movement to be more smooth and less likely to get you caught on stairs, i hope they never touch the drunken tip-toe ballerina walk

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Unhappy Meal posted:

Uuuuugh. They're using the il2cpp build option in Unity with this update. Probably to kill the 40 person lobbies for a bit. Does mean I'll actually have to do work to gut and mod ghost behavior now.

Yep, I was literally sitting down to finish work on a mod project that changed how the progression worked when I saw they ripped up the floorboards. I don't blame them, but it still pretty much blew up any chance of a mod scene.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Has anyone else noticed the voodoo dolls?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cobbsprite posted:

Has anyone else noticed the voodoo dolls?

Yes. Take a picture of them to get an Interaction photo evidence for sweet $$$ and don't actually every touch them otherwise.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Yes. Take a picture of them to get an Interaction photo evidence for sweet $$$ and don't actually every touch them otherwise.

has it been confirmed by anyone what picking them up actually does? I assume it just angers the ghost, but I'd be curious if there was something else going on.

HexiDave posted:

Yep, I was literally sitting down to finish work on a mod project that changed how the progression worked when I saw they ripped up the floorboards. I don't blame them, but it still pretty much blew up any chance of a mod scene.

Not to derail too much, but out of curiosity, why does this blow up the chance of a mod scene? Is it easier to extract string values in Mono/C#? I'm not much of a programmer and it's been ages since I worked on anything in Unity but I'd guess it's just drastically harder to decompile/de-obfuscate hooks from a native binary?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

has it been confirmed by anyone what picking them up actually does? I assume it just angers the ghost, but I'd be curious if there was something else going on.

When you throw a voodoo doll from your inventory, it will run several feet in the direction of the ghost. It's good for finding the ghost's location quickly, especially on large maps.

Also it has CREEPY sound and movement effects.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cobbsprite posted:

When you throw a voodoo doll from your inventory, it will run several feet in the direction of the ghost. It's good for finding the ghost's location quickly, especially on large maps.

Also it has CREEPY sound and movement effects.

Whoa, seriously?

What does the voodoo doll look like exactly?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I keep calling this game ghostse.cx

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa, seriously?

What does the voodoo doll look like exactly?

It's a small white doll with red button eyes and the lips sewn shut with black thread. And if you take a picture of it after it's done a little dash, that's evidence money.

Edit: I had one where I threw it on the floor and it ran into the next room and then SHOT TO THE CEILING AND STAYED THERE. Creeeeeeepy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, I've never seen one of these voodoo dolls and now I feel like I'm missing out. I'm going to have to keep an eye out next time.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

That's awesome about voodoo dolls. I always just them alone.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've only ever seen them show up in the Farmhouse locations, but they appear in those pretty frequently. Had one farmhouse last night that had three, I think. I saw two, at least.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Not to derail too much, but out of curiosity, why does this blow up the chance of a mod scene? Is it easier to extract string values in Mono/C#? I'm not much of a programmer and it's been ages since I worked on anything in Unity but I'd guess it's just drastically harder to decompile/de-obfuscate hooks from a native binary?

Yeah, the normal Unity builds can be modified with quick patching types a bunch of ways. The really easy part is that the .NET binaries aren't usually obfuscated, so you get a nearly 1:1 copy of the original source code.

Now it's all the dependencies compiled together with the game code into a typical binary. This affords some performance benefits, but the vast majority of what's happening underneath in the assemblies isn't performance critical - it's just hooks into the critical parts in a programmer-friendly way. So, the chances are that there's zero performance benefit and entirely done to "keep" people from modifying the lobbies. This won't work to deter cheaters much since it's all peer-to-peer networking with no validation.

So, the reason why this puts the mod scene down is that nobody has the source code anymore - there'd have to be a community effort to decompile everything each patch and it'd be a mess.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I've only ever seen them show up in the Farmhouse locations, but they appear in those pretty frequently. Had one farmhouse last night that had three, I think. I saw two, at least.

I definitely found 2 on the same map.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Ever since the update I time out when loading back in from completed missions almost every time. Really kills my desire to play, since anytime I find decent folks to play with I can't even manage multiple games with them anymore.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Holy smokes, played this game for the first time with a fellow newbie bud. We're in the school, wasted too much time hunting down Michael Johnson, low on sanity.

:smith: Me: "Uhhhh buddy pretty sure that he's in there. The phone's ringing.
:madmax: Friend: "You sure? The phone was ringing downstairs too.

I walk in, immediately see silhouette of ghost from the flashlight.

:smith: Me: "Yeah, maybe you're right idk, come in here with the EM reader."

Friend walks in, I walk out. Door shuts, hunt starts. Screaming.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

Holy smokes, played this game for the first time with a fellow newbie bud. We're in the school, wasted too much time hunting down Michael Johnson, low on sanity.

Sounds like a roaring success!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

Ghost Presence Confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Oni are motherfuckers, we just did a Professional game at the school, and I think we had at least 6 hunts, probably more, and somehow we all managed to survive all of them.

We had a bit of trouble finding the ghost room, thought it was downstairs but turned out to be upstairs. A hunt starts which leaves 1 of us in one of the corner classrooms, 2 downstairs and me in the van. Once that hunt is over, we have ANOTHER hunt within seconds. After than one is over two of the spookhunters get out of the school and I am just about to start walking my partner through getting out of the school with the map when ANOTHER hunt starts. Watching the ghost walk up and down the halls but never going into the room they are hiding in. As we all head into the school to try and throw down crucifixes etc and rescue my partner who refuses to leave that room, another hunt starts (leaving me with nowhere to hide as I am in the foyer so I just hide behind a pillar and hope for the best), we get upstairs and somehow get a bit of evidence and ANOTHER loving HUNT starts as we are leaving, we all manage to get into seperate classrooms and survive.

We all got out but still only had 2 bits of evidence and hadnt triggered all the objectives, so 2 spookhunters pop their meth and go back inside to try and get the last piece of evidence and trigger hunt now the crucifix is in the ghost room. Hunt triggers almost immediately (as we got the crucifix objective), get the last bit of evidence and then one final hunt before we left, with 2 of our spookhunters on zero sanity I think.

loving tough mission but it was good fun and very rewarding (except for the one spookhunter than spent half the mission time hiding under a desk).