Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the quality is like; it'll be hard for AMD to really showcase "full" RT like NVidia has if their cards simply can't keep up, so we may end up with games like that not really needing DLSS since the RT quality (and corresponding performance hit) will be forced to stay on the low side of things.

Yeah DIRT 5 at least looks to be pretty lightweight on the RT front, they're only using it for sunlight shadows which is one of the cheapest things you can do with RT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm definitely going with Nvidia now that we know all of the details of all (? Lol) of the cards, but I'm unsure as to how the fact that AMD drives both consoles, and that most AAA games are ports, will figure into DLSS adoption. We truly do have to wait and see. Probably won't mean AMD becomes more worth it though, so, whatever. Get a 3080.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

Yeah DIRT 5 at least looks to be pretty lightweight on the RT front, they're only using it for sunlight shadows which is one of the cheapest things you can do with RT

Yeah, or the WoW demo which was...uh...underwhelming comes to mind.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AMD have not priced their cards as if they are worried about being regularly compared to DLSS benchmarks.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/tuxedolabs/status/1262507221868519426
raytraced audio?

:getin:

Alchenar posted:

AMD have not priced their cards as if they are worried about being regularly compared to DLSS benchmarks.

I think it'd be pretty disingenuous for reviewers to turn on DLSS for benchmarks, at least until AMD's implementation becomes available. That being said, lots of whataboutisms like rage mode, zen3 memory access, RT, etc will make even 3rd party reviews have lots of caveats.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

teardown looks :krad:, i don't usually buy early access games but might make an exception

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"MeruFM" [/quote posted:

I think it'd be pretty disingenuous for reviewers to turn on DLSS for benchmarks, at least until AMD's implementation becomes available. That being said, lots of whataboutisms like rage mode, zen3 memory access, RT, etc will make even 3rd party reviews have lots of caveats.

Nah, the fair way to compare benchmarks is 'at time of review, which card performs better at equivalent graphics quality'.

If a game has a button that doubles fps for Nvidia and not amd then that's just a supercharged version of optimising.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MeruFM posted:

https://twitter.com/tuxedolabs/status/1262507221868519426

If DLSS is producing similar or better visual quality--as it often is now--why not turn it on? Arguing about whether it's "fair" seems kinda silly when the option is present and works as well as it does.

But, yeah, I don't envy reviewers trying to figure out how they're gonna tackle things now. Given that SAM can produce some meaningful gains, are they going to have to do dual-tests on AMD and Intel platforms now? What a headache.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

terrorist ambulance posted:

Just whether it's working as advertised. I'm a bit skeptical of its ability to do 4k 120, or even 4k 60, for long given that like Control and Tomb Raider are getting sub 60 fps benchmarks at 4k already with high settings and rtx.

I realize that those are demanding games and you can probably finesse performance some by fine tuning details and where possible using dlss, but if the rtx 3080 is really taxed at 4k its a thing to consider before putting down a bunch of money on a 4k monitor or whatever

Here's my feelings after doing a lot of 4K/120:

If you want to do 4K/120, you simply will not be doing RTX, straight up, even with DLSS.

That doesn't matter to me personally because I don't really think RTX is anywhere near worth it in 90% of the situations it's been implemented. If you really do want RTX though, yeah it's gonna be tough. If you can forgo it, you can get 4K/120 consistently on a 3090 but you may need to turn down some of the really stupid settings that do nothing anyways.

But overall you can do it just fine. Over time you will probably have to scale down settings to some degree, I suspect.

If you do go this route I really recommend getting an OLED, I'm not sure it would be worth it (or possible?) on a regular monitor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That sounds fantastic, especially how the echo changes as he moves from larger to smaller rooms. I can't think of any game that has the reverb adjust in realtime as you transition rooms, even as scripted.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In a twist of karma, my brothers RX 580 died before he could secure a 3070. He needs his PC for work, so he had to settle on getting a 5500 XT for $200 in the meantime he RMAs the 580. He's pretty happy with the 5500 XT performance though; with a 2700X it's able to stay above 60 fps in COD MW at 1440p with mostly high settings and the card stays under 70C while staying pretty quiet—compared to his old 580 hitting 85-90C and sounding like a jet engine. Good enough sidegrade for him apparently. He told me he's just gonna keep it and use the left over cash from his 3080 sell to fund his sneaker bots lmao.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

As someone who plans on snagging a 6800 XT early next year, I'm very interested to see in the next few months more details about AMD's raytracing implementation and the as-yet unseen competitor to DLSS that they're developing. Nvidia clearly has the edge in both at the moment, from what I've read the 6800 XT's raytracing will be slightly better than a 2080 Ti, but definitely behind a 3080, and Nvidia has DLSS while AMD doesn't have anything yet :v: I also think that AMD being the hardware in both new consoles bodes well for their technology being competitive in the coming years - Microsoft and Sony are both gonna have a vested interest in fleshing out AMD's implementations and getting widespread adoption for developers.

Either way, I know most of the thread is sold on Ampere, and they're good cards. I also think AMD's pulled a hell of a comeback, months ago lots of people said AMD was DOA and couldn't even touch 2080 Ti levels of performance, much less compete with 3000 series. It's great news for everyone for there to be actual competition again, and I think we can all agree the peformance/price ratio has needed to move back in the right direction for a while now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey gamers we have added RAAAAGE MODE! Poggers. I think I may be getting old.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
All I can think of is this

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Patch that in on the VR mode of Alien Isolation and have an ambulance on standby.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Azuren posted:

As someone who plans on snagging a 6800 XT early next year, I'm very interested to see in the next few months more details about AMD's raytracing implementation and the as-yet unseen competitor to DLSS that they're developing. Nvidia clearly has the edge in both at the moment, from what I've read the 6800 XT's raytracing will be slightly better than a 2080 Ti, but definitely behind a 3080, and Nvidia has DLSS while AMD doesn't have anything yet :v: I also think that AMD being the hardware in both new consoles bodes well for their technology being competitive in the coming years - Microsoft and Sony are both gonna have a vested interest in fleshing out AMD's implementations and getting widespread adoption for developers.

While I agree that from a pure performance perspective AMD has for sure exceeded expectations (pending independent review verification) this generation, they've been making the socs for both sony and MS since 2013 and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been tangible benefit to their pc gpu offerings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Patch that in on the VR mode of Alien Isolation and have an ambulance on standby.

NO

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

VorpalFish posted:

While I agree that from a pure performance perspective AMD has for sure exceeded expectations (pending independent review verification) this generation, they've been making the socs for both sony and MS since 2013 and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been tangible benefit to their pc gpu offerings.

End of the day, DirectX is king, and there's only so many game engines. Graphic APIs and software level math have matured (not counting rt) that both ati amd and nvidia know what types of operations they should be building towards.

edit: ati lmfao

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

That sounds fantastic, especially how the echo changes as he moves from larger to smaller rooms. I can't think of any game that has the reverb adjust in realtime as you transition rooms, even as scripted.

Half Life with an Aureal A3D did this. Also worked in original CS. Was effectively cheating, if you knew the map you could tell were anybody was if they made the slightest noise.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

teagone posted:

In a twist of karma, my brothers RX 580 died before he could secure a 3070. He needs his PC for work, so he had to settle on getting a 5500 XT for $200 in the meantime he RMAs the 580. He's pretty happy with the 5500 XT performance though; with a 2700X it's able to stay above 60 fps in COD MW at 1440p with mostly high settings and the card stays under 70C while staying pretty quiet—compared to his old 580 hitting 85-90C and sounding like a jet engine. Good enough sidegrade for him apparently. He told me he's just gonna keep it and use the left over cash from his 3080 sell to fund his sneaker bots lmao.

AMD picked up this business with one of their lower end last gen cards, for anyone wondering how the 6800 & XT are going to sell.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I mean Microsoft drives DirectX and they have an interest in pushing their console(s) so :shrug:

I got WD: Legion to kill time with the 2077 delay and it feels like RTX/DLSS is another generation of hardware/software revisions off from being viable.

Also, it looks like 1440P still remains the sweet spot for gaming. Even on a 3090 with DLSS, you're seeing close to 100FPS at 1440P and 60ish on 4K. And this is a cross-gen game. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/watch-dogs-legion-benchmark

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zero VGS posted:

While I’m not sure if it’s that technically advanced, Hunt:Showdown has a really good sound model which is used pretty well in the game design.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bus hustler posted:

AMD picked up this business with one of their lower end last gen cards, for anyone wondering how the 6800 & XT are going to sell.

I mean, sure? NVidia has been pretty conspicuous about not giving a gently caress about the sub-$200 market for a while, where their best offering is a 4GB 1650 Super.

If NVidia still doesn't have cards on shelves in another 3 weeks, AMD's gonna sell a bunch of cards simply for having literally anything to buy. After that, we'll see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:hmmyes:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

shrike82 posted:

I mean Microsoft drives DirectX and they have an interest in pushing their console(s) so :shrug:

I got WD: Legion to kill time with the 2077 delay and it feels like RTX/DLSS is another generation of hardware/software revisions off from being viable.
It seems completely broken in WD though, I can change DLSS and RT settings and it has virtually no affect. Maybe 5 frames, but I'm running about 60FPS with drops to 40 with DLSS balanced, RT medium at 3440x1440.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are you CPU bound?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

shrike82 posted:

Are you CPU bound?
I'm on a 3900x with a 3080. It says my bottleneck is CPU bound, but reading the WD thread, other people have the same results. Changing DLSS or RT has virtually no effect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bus hustler posted:

To be fair, my brother's use case was pretty specific. He needed a card with multiple display ports to keep things in his setup as simple as possible and be available with next day shipping. Most cards in the $200 range (from both Nvidia and AMD) only have one display port, one hdmi, and one DVI. The particular 5500 XT model I found for $209.99 has 3 and had Prime one-day shipping.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If anyone bought a Radeon VII, I think amd will be able to sell anything they produce. The question is, can they sell enough to shift the purchase ratio, which is questionable. No.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

DrDork posted:

I mean, sure? NVidia has been pretty conspicuous about not giving a gently caress about the sub-$200 market for a while, where their best offering is a 4GB 1650 Super.

If NVidia still doesn't have cards on shelves in another 3 weeks, AMD's gonna sell a bunch of cards simply for having literally anything to buy. After that, we'll see.

he was a 3070 customer though, lots of people are just going to settle for something available - this doesnt even punch in the same range as what he was going to buy. just dont think as many people care about DLSS and RTX as this thread constantly makes out, not that i would personally buy a 6800 XT or anything.

teagone posted:

To be fair, my brother's use case was pretty specific. He needed a card with multiple display ports to keep things in his setup as simple as possible and be available with next day shipping. Most cards in the $200 range (from both Nvidia and AMD) only have one display port, one hdmi, and one DVI. The particular 5500 XT model I found for $209.99 has 3 and had Prime one-day shipping.

the market is just nuts right now especially on amazon. its not a bad card at all. and yeah hdmi to dp is specifically annoying i get that.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 31, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Rusty posted:

I'm on a 3900x with a 3080. It says my bottleneck is CPU bound, but reading the WD thread, other people have the same results. Changing DLSS or RT has virtually no affect.

i get a 20-40% differential playing around with RT and DLSS settings...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, to be fair again, my brother also doesn't care for getting a 3070 anymore, even to flip for profit. He said he'll probably upgrade his GPU the next time he upgrades from his 2700X/B450 setup.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

shrike82 posted:

i get a 20-40% differential playing around with RT and DLSS settings...
I don't know, I can't stay above 60 no matter what I change. I was posting about it in that thread and other people had similar results so maybe it just hates my CPU or something. That's what it says when I run the benchmark so that must be it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I wouldn’t use the new Watch Dogs as a barometer for how well RTX features will do, by all accounts it’s a technical disaster and performance varies wildly for people. I’ll finish downloading it tonight and see how lovely it runs on a 10900K and 3090 FE.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the next big game out, AC: Valhalla doesn't even do DLSS or RTX so it's not like there's a bunch of RTX games coming out

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bus hustler posted:

The market is just nuts right now especially on amazon. its not a bad card at all. and yeah hdmi to dp is specifically annoying i get that.

Yeah, he basically settled but is still happy with how the 5500 XT performs compared to his busted 580. I was surprised at the 5500 XT's performance tbh, especially with how cool it runs under load. It was also his very first GPU install/working inside a PC ever lol. I helped him over Discord. That was fun :haw:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bus hustler posted:

he was a 3070 customer though, lots of people are just going to settle for something available - this doesnt even punch in the same range as what he was going to buy. just dont think as many people care about DLSS and RTX as this thread constantly makes out, not that i would personally buy a 6800 XT or anything.

I don't disagree, but neither side is launching actual mid- or low-tier parts for a while yet, so there's not much to talk about--all the sub $500 shakeouts have been figured out over the last year, since nothing new has dropped there. Most people looking to spend $500+ aren't going to find themselves buying a $200 instead.

But yeah, AMD certainly is going to sell a lot of cards if they can manage to actually have inventory while NVidia doesn't, regardless of relative performance, price, or anything else.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know where that graph leaked from, or how accurate it is, but it is very exciting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

I don't know where that graph leaked from, or how accurate it is, but it is very exciting.

I have a 9800 GT that I would be willing to part with for, say, one thousand dollars. It's a great deal seeing as it's fully 30% faster than the 6900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrDork posted:

I don't disagree, but neither side is launching actual mid- or low-tier parts for a while yet, so there's not much to talk about--all the sub $500 shakeouts have been figured out over the last year, since nothing new has dropped there. Most people looking to spend $500+ aren't going to find themselves buying a $200 instead.

My brother's original plan was to use the 5500 XT as a stop-gap until he could get his hands on a 3070. Even with all his cook group sneaker poo poo, he still didn't get a 3070 on launch day because he just said gently caress it and slept in—which was a result of him staying up until 3AM that same morning copping sneakers, hah. I asked if he was content with how the 5500 XT was playing COD at 1440p and he said it ran smooth, so I left it up to him then if he wanted to put the effort in to get a 3070 and he let me know yesterday that he was just gonna keep the 5500 XT until he does a total system overhaul.

[edit] For anyone who cares, his setup (Ryzen 7 2700X/16GB DDR4 3200/5500 XT 8GB) gets roughly 60-80+ fps in COD MW at 1440p.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 31, 2020