Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are some differences but the core safety cage and airbags and stuff like that is going to be pretty much the same with maybe some minor adjustments between the EU and US. That's what makes the car safe.

Now when you get in to developing country stuff eeh yeah that's where it gets spicier.

Even just the difference between the US and Mexico, although for all I know this is a one-off case and not a great representation of the actual differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MomJeans420 posted:

Even just the difference between the US and Mexico, although for all I know this is a one-off case and not a great representation of the actual differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

One of those cars looks like 10 years older than the other?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, that's not really helpful with comparing different standards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The Tsuru was sold unchanged for years and years (it looks very old but is a 2015) and was still compliant with Mexican crash safety standards.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

2015 vs 2016?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

2015 vs 2016?

Mexico kept making the early-1990 Nissan Sentra as a new vehicle, just like they did with the air cooled Beetle into the 2000s. So yeah, they look like they are 25 years apart in design, and they are.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Tsuru was sold unchanged for years and years (it looks very old but is a 2015) and was still compliant with Mexican crash safety standards.

Fair enough, but:

meatpimp posted:

Mexico kept making the early-1990 Nissan Sentra as a new vehicle, just like they did with the air cooled Beetle into the 2000s. So yeah, they look like they are 25 years apart in design, and they are.

This is what I’m getting at. Quite a different situation to what started the conversation, and not two versions of the same car for different markets.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can't get the 2.4 honda engine that doesn't destroy itself in the USA anymore in the CR V but you can in Canada. All we get now is the turbo that sometimes decides circulating oil is too much trouble and stops spinning. This is my why can't I have a nice cheap new car that will run for a long time complaint.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
These are so cool, but man, 30k+ for a 12 year old mass-market luxury SUV that has an accident history seems steep.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-porsche-cayenne-gts-17/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-10-30

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
It's the manual transmission that's commanding the premium. But it makes no sense. I get why an F430 with a stick might be worth 30-50% more but why would you subject yourself to that in an SUV :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

It's the manual transmission that's commanding the premium. But it makes no sense. I get why an F430 with a stick might be worth 30-50% more but why would you subject yourself to that in an SUV :shrug:

Oh yeah, it's definitely the manual, and I agree.

This is the SUV to buy: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-ford-explorer-xlt-4x4-jurassic-park-replica/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-10-30

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

It's the manual transmission that's commanding the premium. But it makes no sense.

It makes even less sense after you're rowed through the gears in one of them. It's an disappointing gearbox in a base model 6 cylinder. Incomprehensibly disappointing in something with a GTS badge on it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/cincinnati-porsche-911-carrera-for-sale/7212295152.html

Is there something going on with the door seals on this car or is a black line there normal?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

willroc7 posted:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/cincinnati-porsche-911-carrera-for-sale/7212295152.html

Is there something going on with the door seals on this car or is a black line there normal?

Looks like black door edge guards.

Edit: "I don't give out VIN" because the car's been wrecked.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 30, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Genuine question, is there anything you can do if you get the VIN of someones car? Like, is there any reason not to disclose it other than

meatpimp posted:

because the car's been wrecked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Genuine question, is there anything you can do if you get the VIN of someones car? Like, is there any reason not to disclose it other than

I was hoping there'd be a slip and he'd show the plate. In Ohio, you can find a vin with a plate. Not that you could do anything with the VIN, other than see the equipment it originally came with.

But yeah, that steering wheel / airbag color is all wrong. Plus, red is the easiest color to match paint, and it doesn't look very match-y.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Anyone who wants your vin can walk over to your car in a public parking lot and get it. Anyone who wants your tag number can see it when you drive. Yet people cover both of those things up in ads all the time.

You definitely don't want to disclose it if the carfax comes back bad, but some people just really think you can do something with either of those pieces of information.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

But yeah, that steering wheel / airbag color is all wrong. Plus, red is the easiest color to match paint, and it doesn't look very match-y.
100%

Passenger side headlight is noticeably clearer than drivers, see a strange bit of missing paint next to the frunk seal, and no photo of the frunk build sticker and might look like some red overspray on the passenger side of the cowl next to the battery tray?

That said, it looks clean. Guy is probably a curber/flipper.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 30, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gentlefolk, allow me to introduce you to the $150 pin. Since I got my car, the center console ashtray would not stay shut. After some research online, there is a teeny tiny pin in the mechanism that can fall out, and the pin cannot be bought separately from the entire $150+ assembly.

gently caress that noise.

Panel tools are great. It's unreal how few fasteners these cars use yet everything snaps together solidly, one just definitely needs some hard plastic tools to get some stuff apart. I never would have figured to pull the sides away, but other than a glorified spatula this whole process required no tools.

J'accuse!

First I had to find some kind of hard metal rod that would fit in the hole. I initially thought to use some kind of machine screw with the threads of the tip filed down (and that might still be a later solution if this repair doesn't hold). The monkey hooks were too big but then I found some chonky hand needles that I knew would be very hard steel.

The tip of the pin rides in that funky figure-8 shape. The depth was super finnicky and it would jam if not perfectly set, which basically involved operating the latch over and over until the right movement happened and then not loving it up while opening it back up again.

A bit of hand-ground taper to smooth out the action (I should have just kept some of the slope of the needle tip) and there's a $150 part. I had a good idea of how far it could stick out.

This is probably the wrong stuff to use. It's probably also a years old by now. Getting anything different was the same effort as the machine screw route though, so I'd just give this a shot for now.

I couldn't really tell if any was getting into the hole to really secure the pin, so I slapped some already partially cured excess on the outside. It ain't pretty but it ain't moving.

As long as the pin is shorter than the plane of this face it'll clear just fine. It wasn't. It didnt. More idle filing during youtube watching happened. At least I knew the pin definitely wasn't gonna move after that abuse.

Reverse of disassembly, etc. It's a little touchy and will open if the top is bumped, but it stays shut.

Preview of next project :science:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

After I fixed my ashtray I figured I'd pop over for a vacuum and rinse. Because I'm a lazy prick I just zip up the freeway to dry off afterwards, unlike the Gunmetal/Browntop 718 Boxster being hand dried one bay over.

Ended up skipping an exit and taking surface streets back to a different one. Along the way I saw some aircoolers out of the corner of my eye and kinda held up on beating the next light. It was a couple different 911s, white and red each, and a black Carrera.

So I followed them like a creepy stalker for 35 miles of perfect twisty back roads on a beautiful sunny day. We eventually hopped out, greeted, and split up again. I had simply gone in a big circle around home by that point, so drove ten minutes back.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

Reverse of disassembly, etc. It's a little touchy and will open if the top is bumped, but it stays shut.
:golfclap:
Well done! I wish I had had the gumption to fix the cupholders in my 987 like this

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2 Months of 993 Ownership update: still awesome, even more-so after fixing the failing hood struts.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

My hood dropped on my head the other day. It stays if all the way up. Maybe I should look up struts for front and rear.

Six years is about long enough for them to go out, y'all think?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 9, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hood and trunk struts have to be the easiest and cheapest thing to replace on a Porsche.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dema posted:

Hood and trunk struts have to be the easiest and cheapest thing to replace on a Porsche.

Except for the hidden ones on the back of the cayennes. Those are miserable. And expensive.

It's must be hoot strut time. I just replaced mine over the weekend too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I see stuff online about being able to regas them, but it seems to all be in Australia.

My fronts aren't quite $60/pair bad yet, but maybe the hatch is supposed to open up a little further than it does when I hit the fob. It's usually just enough to get a finger under it.

Edit: ... I should do rear struts. It's supposed to open on its own, lol.

Nah, it's just supposed to pop open a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YWYNfkizMg&t=65s

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 9, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Would an AWD 911 (probably 4s or turbo) be any worse in snow than my current e9x m3? Assume snow tires in both instances.

I thought I would need to be able to take a couple kids in my personal car, but I think I am going to end up with two giant people movers (1)minivan and 2) suburban or similar), and one spot for whatever stupid impractical car I want to buy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think the 911 will be lower

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ground clearance is the only issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oXyoyq4iM

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I was gifted a piece of wall art from a good friend to encourage my 911 build.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Preview of next project :science:

If I didn't have a service manual I never would have gotten that bin out. Removed (both sides) seatbelt guide trim, side trim, aluminium rail I think is for five points, top trim, entire back wall carpet and soundproofing panel, just to free up a little U-shaped trim piece that was holding down the back edge of the bin, plus removing the armrest cover and disassembling the center console as I've already done before.

Now I just throw my phone in there and never fiddle with a cable. :science:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I actually collect porsche hotwheels - ill post some pics later... maybe if I get enough they will transform into a real porsche... right??

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

I was gifted a piece of wall art from a good friend to encourage my 911 build.

That is amazing! Which wall of the house is it going on? Above the fireplace? Above the bedroom headboard?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Saw something that really showed how dumb the used turbo market is.

A 2009 turbo with 50k miles popped up for 82.9k, and cargurus thinks it is 5k under market (for what little that's worth). https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=287707031

I plugged the VIN into Google, and it was listed on pelicanparts in 2013 with 28k miles for...... 77k.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/778803-fs-2009-porsche-911-turbo.html

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Let me tell you about being into 930s in the mid 2000s but couldn't really justify buying one at the time. I could have bought one, parked it somewhere and just left it there for 10 or 15 years, and still come out way ahead.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

gvibes posted:

A 2009 turbo with 50k miles popped up for 82.9k, and cargurus thinks it is 5k under market (for what little that's worth). [/url]

The market value that CarGurus gives you I can tell you from working there exists as a stick to hit dealers with so they will offer lower prices so CarGurus can brag about how all the good deals are only there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

Let me tell you about being into 930s in the mid 2000s but couldn't really justify buying one at the time. I could have bought one, parked it somewhere and just left it there for 10 or 15 years, and still come out way ahead.

Ahead of what though? 15 years is a long time for, say, the S&P 500.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Ahead of what though? 15 years is a long time for, say, the S&P 500.

Yeah that's the thing. Some classic cars almost seem investment worthy for their appreciation until you compare them to the markets as an opportunity cost.

It is, however, enough ammo to convince one's spouse that yes I should buy a ten year old GT3 because it will retain its value!

Edit: No it's not, I can't even justify that internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
me: i can sell the M5 for easily 20% more than what I paid for it 2.5 years ago

my wife: out of curiousity how much money have you spent on it since you bought it

me: :yikes: