Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wonder if they used a Pripyat Beast for the Flying V abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's kind of awesome in a definitely stupid music poo poo way. If I had less family and associated economic woes I could see myself getting one...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Maybe we need a blessed music poo poo thread because this discussion is definitely that.

I got stuff calibrated to within a dB spl from 4k to 52k. Then the program crashed when i went to add more frequencies to the test schedule. So i gave up and emailed support then went home because I wanted to work on it more on monday.

Calibration is very much like recording guitar in that you can try to set things up exactly the same as you did last time and things will sound completely different for no reason.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got stuff calibrated to within a dB spl from 4k to 52k. Then the program crashed when i went to add more frequencies to the test schedule. So i gave up and emailed support then went home because I wanted to work on it more on monday.

Calibration is very much like recording guitar in that you can try to set things up exactly the same as you did last time and things will sound completely different for no reason.

I can only assume that you double checked the directionality if all your cables and made sure the correct number of ferrite beads were on each power supply?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Joe Bogan posted:

I can only assume that you double checked the directionality if all your cables and made sure the correct number of ferrite beads were on each power supply?

I actually have a ferrite bead on the cable running between the mic and preamp. Some stupid music poo poo is kinda useful.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Am I out of touch or is this really horrible?

It's a real thing though: https://www.stewmac.com/strings-and...OBJLNKNcnsHu7Bc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That reminds me I was getting some fret buzz and when I looked at the string it was “bent.”

You can see the top E and the A right behind it. I’ve never seen that before. WTF.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

BonHair posted:

I’m gonna vote stupid.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That's the Stupid-Stupid kind of Stupid Music poo poo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BonHair posted:

It's a real thing though.

Banjo spikes are absolutely a thing but they aren't useful for guitars, just for changing the key of the short drone string on a banjo when using a capo.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That reminds me I was getting some fret buzz and when I looked at the string it was “bent.”

You can see the top E and the A right behind it. I’ve never seen that before. WTF.

Old strings with bent windings from an impact or pressure. String now dead and needs changing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

spikes have been a thing for ages, that's just normal banjo poo poo

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah, as a Scruggs style banjo player, these are very real and normal - since many times the capo only fits on the first four strings, and not the fifth, you end up spiking that string in order to match where you've capod.

In bluegrass, we switch keys frequently, often every song at a jam, and it allows banjo players to retune quickly without having to use the tuner to do that.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah, I noticed the same thing the other day on my D string, I've never seen that before.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I figured from the description that it was a banjo thing, but as a bass player/guitarist, putting a nail in your fretboard seems very destructive for the slight benefit. I mean, just buy 12 different banjos if you want all the keys. Also a truck to haul them. But a pickup should be mandatory anyway.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

BonHair posted:

Completely standard way of capoing the thumb string on a banjo. Nothing unusual or stupid about it.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The fun thing about banjo spikes is that they're basically the same as model railroad spikes.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I think they're frequently literal model railroad spikes.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Can't you just use one of them Line 6 acoustics from the 2000s? It had a banjo setting, but everything else sounded like a banjo anyway

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm disappointed no one posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN9_QB4jYI

We all watch his channel, admit it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

He speaks so precisely and works with such meticulous attention to detail. It's fascinating to watch.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Watching good guitar techs do set-ups and work is really satisfying and teaches you some tips and tricks.

I've been posting some guitar repair stuff over in the DIY thread would a separate thread for guitar set up/repair tips and tricks be useful or just keep popping them in there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a quiet forum, why not. The more the merrier.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Watching good guitar techs do set-ups and work is really satisfying and teaches you some tips and tricks.

I've been posting some guitar repair stuff over in the DIY thread would a separate thread for guitar set up/repair tips and tricks be useful or just keep popping them in there?

I learnt all my setup skills from watching Dave's World (Even though some of the stuff is a liiiiiittle suspect.) I'd definitely hop on that thread.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish the "On The Bench" guy had more in-depth stuff.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I guess coins and plates don't sell as well as they used to.

https://franklinmint.com/collections/axe-heaven?fbclid=IwAR0YWaZWBLt-eTbgxUvj1ZdCSSfpC3AOpjtkStVlOdpjSj84fAJ5Mr3OTM4

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Still trying to figure out of this is a real name or a typo, or a typo that became the real name

Rhapsoby? That has to have been Rhapsody at some point and then someone screwed up the logo, but there are other models from a span of years with that name and logo. Also wondering what happened to the y, the other logos have a normal looking y at least.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe somebody trying to be cute with a stylized musical notation "d"

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

They must be fans of Disnep (Gisnep?)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

It's silly, and my kid is about three years away from it being a terrible choking hazard, but I still kinda want this:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/toys-and-games/model-building/110514-xylophone-music-machine-kit?item=45K5052

Only one octave and eight? bars, but it's polyphonic!

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 7, 2020

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Eastwood Teleolin at Guitar Center

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always wondered what the point of coursed strings was on electric mandos. Other than just making it feel right or to better replicate being slightly out of tune like a real one.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I’ve learned over the past few weeks that our leading man is likely QAnon :(

I’m probably the stupid one here for even being in this band lol, and now I have to find a way out that doesn’t piss of the members I like.

I was fine with his “I’m in my mid 40’s and stuck in 2000” musical tastes (his favorite bands are korn, KSE, and 5FDP).
I could work around every song having identical structures and ~120bpm.
I even grudgingly put up with his “we’re an original band, our set list is 5 originals and 25 covers because that’s how you get crowds to pay money, and our set will go in between my cover band’s dual 2 hour sets”.

But once he started spamming our official band stuff with all this “save the children” crap and is demanding we donate proceeds to those groups, I’m realizing that no, I really can’t put up with that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Slothful Bong posted:

I’ve learned over the past few weeks that our leading man is likely QAnon :(

I’m probably the stupid one here for even being in this band lol, and now I have to find a way out that doesn’t piss of the members I like.

I was fine with his “I’m in my mid 40’s and stuck in 2000” musical tastes (his favorite bands are korn, KSE, and 5FDP).
I could work around every song having identical structures and ~120bpm.
I even grudgingly put up with his “we’re an original band, our set list is 5 originals and 25 covers because that’s how you get crowds to pay money, and our set will go in between my cover band’s dual 2 hour sets”.

But once he started spamming our official band stuff with all this “save the children” crap and is demanding we donate proceeds to those groups, I’m realizing that no, I really can’t put up with that.

I had a chud singer once. Luckily he quit before we found out how deep the rabbit hole actually went.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I quit a band earlier this year for similar reasons (chud drummer). He was a very good drummer and singer, but I just couldn't stand to be around him any more - wouldn't shut up about his awful political opinions. Also, they wanted to rehearse inside. I was like, I'm not risking my life to be around people like that.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

A weed metal group I played with has a certificate of appreciation from the Young Tejano democrats group.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Being super into five finger death punch was a bit of a red flag tbh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was working with this dude who runs a pedal company and he was nice enough until he was like “my dude have you heard of saving the children?” and then vomited a qdump on me. Noped the gently caress out of that relationship pretty fast.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Q people are super depressing to me. I heard one all in one conversation that JFK jr is alive and trying to help Trump overthrow the deep state, John McCain didn’t have cancer and was given the choice between death or his crimes being exposed, and you can’t trust anonymous unnamed sources.
:negative:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Shugojin posted:

Being super into five finger death punch was a bit of a red flag tbh

FFDP just did an anti-mask video for their last single if I remember right. Very happy to no longer share a label with them and not at all surprised they were allowed to put it out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
five finger death punch have kinda surpassed nickelback as the common punching bag in rock music, but i for one think it's commendable that they make songs exclusively for dudes with active restraining orders against them