Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Fume knight and Sir Alonne made me realise that 2 just isn't a fun souls experience and go back to Bloodborne/DS1/DS3.

Is that an example of „ironyposting”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fume Knight is super good especially because of his design. The constant cranking and rattling noises he makes are amazing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

Hey if I play this on PC can someone malicious corrupt your save file if you allow multiplayer?

Haven't played this one and starting a new game and wondering if I need to disable netplay.

I'd have to search back in the thread for it, but I recall resident DS hacking expert Tallgeese saying that DS2's basic effect structure is built in a way that makes malicious hacking like in DS1/DS3 vastly harder, if not impossible.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vermain posted:

I'd have to search back in the thread for it, but I recall resident DS hacking expert Tallgeese saying that DS2's basic effect structure is built in a way that makes malicious hacking like in DS1/DS3 vastly harder, if not impossible.

This baffles me that they made it better for DS2 and then said lol gently caress it for DS3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS2 definitely had malicious hackers. They would drop you “impossible” items (upgraded beyond +10) so that you’d get softbanned if you picked them up. Also the average infinite health *teleports behind yuo* douchebags

Also they could invade you, set themselves as the host and then kill all the NPCs

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Look Sir Droids posted:

This baffles me that they made it better for DS2 and then said lol gently caress it for DS3.

It's not that surprising to me because they did that with a lot of poo poo from DS2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

DS3 is almost certainly the same updated engine that Bloodborne was running on, since they had overlapping development cycles. DS2's branch of the underlying engine doesn't have the graphical fidelity needed, so it makes more sense to simply repurpose the Bloodborne engine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Independently of how I feel about the bosses themselves, I don't get why NPC summons are almost universally terrible in the DLC. Is it a bug? An oversight with some scaling factor? Or intentional, garbage design? Summoning help should not be a trap option, especially not against the hardest bosses in the game.

It reads as intentional because they deal perfectly fine damage on the run-up, and in the case of the Gank Squad you actually get some decent (if not amazing) help. Meanwhile they slap down Ellie's summoning sign everywhere and she's loving useless beyond being a meatshield for the four seconds she's alive before inevitably getting trapped in a corner and dying.

Pretty sure I watched Ellie use Fire Storm against Aava and even with Aava standing in the fire spouts it didn't actually do any damage. What even the gently caress.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

John Murdoch posted:

Independently of how I feel about the bosses themselves, I don't get why NPC summons are almost universally terrible in the DLC. Is it a bug? An oversight with some scaling factor? Or intentional, garbage design? Summoning help should not be a trap option, especially not against the hardest bosses in the game.

It reads as intentional because they deal perfectly fine damage on the run-up, and in the case of the Gank Squad you actually get some decent (if not amazing) help. Meanwhile they slap down Ellie's summoning sign everywhere and she's loving useless beyond being a meatshield for the four seconds she's alive before inevitably getting trapped in a corner and dying.

Pretty sure I watched Ellie use Fire Storm against Aava and even with Aava standing in the fire spouts it didn't actually do any damage. What even the gently caress.

It depends on the fight/summon. Transcendent Edde can just about solo Sinh himself, and if you can bring all three summons to the boss room for 2Cats the fight gets a lot easier.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think you could drop a hosed up item for someone, Bleed Binoculars +7 or what have you, but you couldn't force them to pick it up. Which was a shame, since I liked to invade people with the White Ring and Shadow Mask on as Trustworthy Guy, pop on a torch, and just run around the level dropping items and pointing out secrets.

and backstabbing once they reached the boss ofc

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 31, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Paracelsus posted:

It depends on the fight/summon. Transcendent Edde can just about solo Sinh himself, and if you can bring all three summons to the boss room for 2Cats the fight gets a lot easier.

That's what makes it especially frustrating. No consistency at all.

Edit: To whit, I soloed Sinh because I expected the summons to suck.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 31, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think a lot of those summons are there precisely as meatshields, especially for spellcasters.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ellie always kicks rear end against Aava for me, not sure what's happening there for you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think a lot of those summons are there precisely as meatshields, especially for spellcasters.

Thing is, they could've included an actual tank NPC if they wanted to (I know Sellsword Luet pops up more often in Scholar, forex). Whereas even with shields Aidel and Lorrie spent most of those fights fully absorbing hits with their faces and they just barely help by merit of having inflated health pools to chip down. And even then they tend to get hit by the same attacks at the same time, so the benefits of having both vs. just one or none is questionable.

GodFish posted:

Ellie always kicks rear end against Aava for me, not sure what's happening there for you.

Aava was hopping all over the place for most of the fight, so basically at least 50% of the time Ellie was a mile down range and at best absorbing the magic attack. Maybe it was bad luck or hitbox/timing weirdness with the fire spouts. Or maybe it did (meager) damage and I somehow didn't notice. Either way her presence wasn't really felt. :shrug:

(Also more :confused: @ her having pyromancies in DLC 3 but not 1 or 2.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 1, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And so the great horned warrior refused the throne and continued to walk her long, winding road...

The Ivory King DLC is easily my favorite of the bunch, though it isn't without its problems. It feels distinctly more...DS1 than the rest of the game. For both good and bad. I have a sneaking suspicion the enemies are a bit more of a challenge for people not wielding giant slabs of rock (or wearing giant slabs of rock for that matter), but for me things felt just about right. With an obvious spikey exception which could even completely duck my R1's if they were standing too close. :argh: Love love love love the Loyce Knights gimmick, though I can't help but feel like they could've used a little more fanfare. The final encounter is unique and fun, even if in my overleveled state (and bringing both the Ivory King's sworn foe, Titchy Gren, and Lucatiel on one last adventure) it wasn't a huge peak of difficulty. It sure is weird how they didn't include a co-op area like in the other two DLCs, but oh well! v:shobon:v

My take on DS2 as a whole...I think it's pretty dang good, especially given its development issues. If I have to weigh it against DS1, it only comes out slightly below it and frankly depending on the day of the week I might reverse them. Both because I lack reverence for 1 and because 2 proved itself admirably. DS1 is more focused and more confident but it shits the bed pretty hard halfway through. 2 is this sprawling experimental mess yet often manages to feel more fun in the moment to moment than its predecessor despite also being a lot rougher around the edges. At the very least, the variety is dazzling. Despite the efforts of some of the late game areas, DS1 often felt very...monochrome. Drangleic has a much more vibrant palette by comparison. And this extends into the mechanics too, particularly the covenants. It also feels like there are vastly more weapons of *all* types and more weird unique ones hiding around as well. The Bone Fist, while a DLC addition, feels emblematic of 2's ethos.

If there's a single key flaw that DS2 regularly suffers from, it's simply the encounter design as a whole. In DS1 it felt like most every enemy was deliberately placed just so and there was a methodical feel to assessing the situation and coming up with a plan to tackle it. Even something as simple as a couple of strategically placed hollows could make for a compelling challenge. (I could gush at length about the design of the Undead Burg.) Some moments in 2 do manage to reach the same level of quality, but more often enemy placement feels...I dunno what the right word is...unmotivated? Like the three separate times enemies are chilling on the other side of gates in Lost Bastille. Or the undead blacksmiths that just kinda hang around a single room at the end of Harvest Valley for no real reason. It's like they started from the baseline of something like Lost Izalith and improved on that. Combined with the smaller areas and the changes to the healing system it feels like there's an internal tension to the design that often comes out the other side feeling too simplistic, or lazy, or even unfair.

Still though, definitely glad to have played it. Honestly at this point I'm wondering if DS3's emphasis on blazing fast speed is where my appreciation of the series is actually going to crack. :ohdear: But that'll definitely have to wait...I'm all Souls'ed out at the moment after 45 freaking hours of smashing stuff in the face.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

John Murdoch posted:

Aava was hopping all over the place for most of the fight, so basically at least 50% of the time Ellie was a mile down range and at best absorbing the magic attack. Maybe it was bad luck or hitbox/timing weirdness with the fire spouts. Or maybe it did (meager) damage and I somehow didn't notice. Either way her presence wasn't really felt. :shrug:

(Also more :confused: @ her having pyromancies in DLC 3 but not 1 or 2.)

Yeah, Ellie's Firestorm usually chunks Aava for me. :iiam:

Glad you liked it overall though, I think DS2 is one of the most fun for me, the variety really sells it, especially all the different weapons.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
There is a co-op area in Ivory King. Arguably the worst one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is it that snowblind area leading to the 2cats? Yeah that blew

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I've played and enjoyed Dark Souls remastered quite a bit. I used the mouse and keyboard.

I bought Dark Souls 2 on steam. I have attempted to play it several times. I'm used to dying, but Dark Souls 2 throws me a curveball I just can't get past: the goddamn controls. After being totally used to the controls I'm suddenly healing myself instead of dodging, and the control re-mapping is set up seemingly to punish people who are not using a gamepad, because it *will not* let you set up your controls like in Dark Souls remastered

how do I get gud at controls, I don't have the patience for discovering again the game wants to fight me for daring to map a use key as not loving enter

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
get a controller

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The controls still suck if you use a controller

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nebakenezzer posted:

I used the mouse and keyboard.

Found the problem right here.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'll stop bitching about the dead zones when people stop defending them with "it doesn't matter to me therefore it doesn't matter"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's a poorly skilled gamer that blames the controller

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Your dumb joke would work if I was complaining that the game was too difficult which I am not. It's just annoying. On the other hand, the people who don't notice the dead zones are indeed the ones that are too ham fisted to appreciate the perfection of the controls in the other souls games.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

feelix posted:

Your dumb joke would work if I was complaining that the game was too difficult which I am not. It's just annoying. On the other hand, the people who don't notice the dead zones are indeed the ones that are too ham fisted to appreciate the perfection of the controls in the other souls games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never noticed a dead zone problem lol

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I've played and enjoyed Dark Souls remastered quite a bit. I used the mouse and keyboard.

I bought Dark Souls 2 on steam. I have attempted to play it several times. I'm used to dying, but Dark Souls 2 throws me a curveball I just can't get past: the goddamn controls. After being totally used to the controls I'm suddenly healing myself instead of dodging, and the control re-mapping is set up seemingly to punish people who are not using a gamepad, because it *will not* let you set up your controls like in Dark Souls remastered

how do I get gud at controls, I don't have the patience for discovering again the game wants to fight me for daring to map a use key as not loving enter

Uhh, does the game physically not let you rebind the use key? Because I know the mouse/kb implementation in ds2 is messy but this is the first I've heard about this particular problem

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

feelix posted:

the perfection of the controls in the other souls games.

Hey now, the other Soulsborne games don't have that weird 8-directional lock to movement 2 has, but let's not say anything we can't take back here

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

"you guys aren't actually enjoying the game"
:goonsay:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

"you guys aren't actually enjoying the game"

That's not what I said. It's like I'm a pro golfer and you're a 3 year old hitting a rock with a stick. The fun you're having is very legitimate and real but I'm still superior to you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feelix posted:

That's not what I said. It's like I'm a pro golfer and you're a 3 year old hitting a rock with a stick. The fun you're having is very legitimate and real but I'm still superior to you

quote:

I'm used to dying, but

I usually map "use" to E in a game though

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've played DS2 with KB+M and the most notable "feature" is that you have to disable the double click controls every time you start the game. That option doesn't save for some reason, always need to toggle it on and back off.

Also you can't bind to mouse side buttons but that's not too hard to work around. Other than that my binds are pretty similar to the other games. I'm used to Q for lock-on and R for items. DS2 is also more fond of Enter/Backspace instead of E but the muscle memory kicks in after a while.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 1, 2020

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The game came out six years ago, feelix. Why are you still in this thread, still complaining?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Across all 3 Souls games all I ever asked for is a dedicated kick-button, because the existing input is some frame-perfect horseshit.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Jump attack button, too. The Black Knight weapons' massive damage is basically balanced by their downside of never being able to use your R2 button for anything while they're equipped

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I expected to be frustrated by monsters and dudes in armor, not Japanese game companies withering contempt for PC players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nebakenezzer posted:

I expected to be frustrated by monsters and dudes in armor, not Japanese game companies withering contempt for PC players

Really? It's one of their favorite things, second only to snubbing the Xbox (in general)