Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

theironjef posted:

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah after killing ability scores, the next thing on the guillotine has to be this bizarre sense of nobility and superiority in playing with your stats all wrong, along with the belief that the way to inject a quirk into a character is with stats.

instead of ignoring the ideals/flaws/bonds section, make them important to how your character plays instead of roleplaying what it would be like to have 8 wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I'm running a session with a group tomorrow evening due to timing. Can anyone recommend a horror/halloween themed one-shot? Party is Lv. 5 and is currently sleeping in Leomund's Tiny Hut.

I looked up Death House but it's probably too long for what I'm wanting to do.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So I'm running a session with a group tomorrow evening due to timing. Can anyone recommend a horror/halloween themed one-shot? Party is Lv. 5 and is currently sleeping in Leomund's Tiny Hut.

I ran House of the Midnight Violet the other night and the party really enjoyed it. I had to scale it up since my party was 11 but it wasn't difficult to do

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if you really like death house, cut out a few of the floors; having run it, there are a ton of empty rooms that don’t do much besides add flavor. you can also scale down the catacomb pretty easily. your bigger problem is scaling up the encounters in it.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

If you're up for a little bit of conversion work "A Wizard" is a really good systemless horror module, with notes that kind of expect people to run it in some sort of DnD system.

There's a writeup in the Fatal and Friends thread somewhere if you want more detail.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

theironjef posted:

Ahhh gotcha. Yeah after killing ability scores, the next thing on the guillotine has to be this bizarre sense of nobility and superiority in playing with your stats all wrong, along with the belief that the way to inject a quirk into a character is with stats.

(smugly) yes thats correct 8 int wizard. my character is a wizard whos bad at being a wizard but doesnt give up. im the best loving roleplayer at this table because nobody but me has the genius and never before seen idea of being a liability to the group :dukedog:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i have a new player playing a Colleague of Whispers Bard that is having fun doing spellcasty things and being a more crowd controller in combat than most with all the various flavors of charm spell. But with the way the campaign has gone so far there hasn't been much opportunity for her to use her more social abilities (the make somebody afraid of you with a conversation and the shadow stealing disguise stuff respectively)

I feel bad that they haven't gotten to play around with their full toolset yet so i'm currently working on making some kind of high stakes social situation/rescue mission of a currently missing party member for them to go on that won't have nearly much combat to it. I tend to find myself more on the end of making interesting combat encounters but i haven't had much practice at doing the same for non-combat situations. Since most of what i do is just basic exposition/context to what the next batch of combat is for or for moving my elven family drama story along :v:

How can i make talky bits fun?

For Context: The group knows that the party member has been kidnapped by a very powerful dwarven merchant family, and that said family is currently funding their army in the ongoing war effort, so the leadership doesn't want to mess with the money and can't help them out in any official way. I'm thinking maybe some fancy dinner party going on is how they get in through the front door and there are probably opportunities for fun shenanigans that way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

I've said this before, but people react in different ways to finding out that <thing they like> is imperfect in some way, and one of those ways is to just loving snap and decide the imperfections are in fact good and actually are extremely if not the most important aspects of <thing>

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 30, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I tend to find myself more on the end of making interesting combat encounters but i haven't had much practice at doing the same for non-combat situations. Since most of what i do is just basic exposition/context to what the next batch of combat is for or for moving my elven family drama story along :v:

1) voice acting, improv, etc etc.

2) give npcs distinct motivations, and make sure they are not always forthcoming or knowledgeable. the insight skill becomes way better when it isnt just "is this guy obviously lying to me lying to me", but rather "do i think this random stablehand is giving an accurate account or are they playing this up"

3) find ways to introduce character background stuff as relevant information. if the barbarian worked in a forge, have him notice that this random butler has an extremely well forged blade, far better than anything you have seen.

4) callbacks - if you talk to one person, and get on her good side, later on have her come back with more information or otherwise being helpful. it introduces a reliable ally for the party. see also 2 -- they may be trying to mislead them!

5) introduce deliberate logical holes in people lying so the party can catch people slipping. use knowledge checks, insight, etc.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's definitely good and okay to play character who are not Optimal but it's not okay to play characters who are just bad because you wanted to meme and pretend like this is somehow good. You're just being a pain in the rear end to everyone around you. Like, if everyone is down for someone playing Jimmy Fuckwit the Worst Wizard with 8 int who does nothing but cast knock, I'm not gonna come slap the dice out of your hand but seriously consider whether or not people wanted to like, play the game where you're heroes who stab monsters and not your tight five about what if gandalf was a dipshit. I've played a dwarf wizard before in medium armor. This is not Optimal, but it's fine. He did his job well enough and you know what it was a fun change of pace and was definitely a different sort of wizard.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I make the character and then align the stats to fit, it's really not that hard. Unless you're rolling, I guess, which you shouldn't

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Undead Hippo posted:

If you're up for a little bit of conversion work "A Wizard" is a really good systemless horror module, with notes that kind of expect people to run it in some sort of DnD system.

There's a writeup in the Fatal and Friends thread somewhere if you want more detail.

Seconding this with the addendum that you shouldn't do this with characters your players are going to want to hold onto. A Wizard is pretty cool especially if players don't know what they're getting in to. (Like, specifically what the actual scenario is, let them in on the fact that they're going to be playing a dark horror game you shouldn't sneak that poo poo up on people.) It's real fuckin lethal though so probably only do that if your players don't mind possibly getting eaten by something.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Shame Boy posted:

I have a simple thought game for making NPCs that I call PIMP so I can remember it

P is for party. What does an NPC think of the party? Do they look up to them as heroes? Are they distrustful of this heavily armed group of randos? Are they a nobleman who looks down their nose at the party? Are they poor and looking at the party with a bit of resentment about all the fancy stuff they own? Are they someone with beef against the party? The first, and I think most important thing about an NPC, is what do they make of the people in front of them and how is that going to flavour their interaction with them.

I is for information. What do they know? Is there something the party can get out of this person, or their surroundings, or their manner of dress. My current game has a piracy problem going on as a piece of background, so when my party went to a store to buy potions, the guy apologised for not having the best selection at the moment as the merchants are having issues right now. One thing to consider is whether the person's information is correct. The townsfolk could have all kinds of red herrings and superstitions. For example I had two characters in my campaign give theories for why the records of the evil wizard they're chasing have so many incompatible accounts: one as him being human, another as a vampire, another as a demon. One character gave the ludicrous idea that every boogeyman who wants to scare people is assuming the name of this wizard. One character made the more believable idea that the wizard is tampering with the history books to create false records that throw off any leads. The truth is that this particular wizard can copy their mind into anyone's body, Agent Smith style: there is a vampire, and a demon, and a human all with the copied mind and they'll eventually meet them all in the Wizard's lair.

M is motivation. What does the NPC want? A town guard just wants to get home tonight. An Innkeeper just wants there to be no trouble. More interesting characters may have more interesting drives, but I mentioned these two because even the most mundane and relatable motives can be interesting in a social situation.

P is for personality. For this I don't write out a whole backstory or try to make a complex psychological deal, because people generally don't care. What I mean is just the most surface level personal details: do they have an accent? are they short tempered? Are they nervous and softly spoken? Do they enunciate and use long words? Are they sweary? So on and so forth.

I'm not saying every character needs to have each of these things, just that it's four questions to ask as you're making an NPC:

What do they make of the party?
Is there any knowledge can be gained here?
What is their main drive?
Do they have any outward personality traits?

Some characters aren't going to have any exposition. Some won't be around long enough to really reveal their motive.

Also, there are some tricks to shoot many birds with few stones. For example, in my campaign the city of Luskan (which is a scummy pirate hellhole) has a scouse accent (an accent from the UK city of Liverpool). So now I've got a personality trait that applies to some characters which also gives a little bit of information about them.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 30, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

It's definitely good and okay to play character who are not Optimal but it's not okay to play characters who are just bad because you wanted to meme and pretend like this is somehow good. You're just being a pain in the rear end to everyone around you. Like, if everyone is down for someone playing Jimmy Fuckwit the Worst Wizard with 8 int who does nothing but cast knock, I'm not gonna come slap the dice out of your hand but seriously consider whether or not people wanted to like, play the game where you're heroes who stab monsters and not your tight five about what if gandalf was a dipshit. I've played a dwarf wizard before in medium armor. This is not Optimal, but it's fine. He did his job well enough and you know what it was a fun change of pace and was definitely a different sort of wizard.
One of the big issues with these discussions is that nobody agrees on what the word "optimal" means. I think everyone agrees that some optimized build of something 2/something else 18 that results in all your stuff keying off a single stat and shutting down encounters in one round is "optimal". But is playing a full caster with all their ASIs put into their primary stats and appropriate feats with a carefully curated spell selection "optimal"? Is playing a full caster with their casting stat maxed and a spell list based around fun considered optimal? Does your martial need to go into feat combos to be "optimal" or just pump their to-hit? "You can have fun with a non-optimal character" is a completely meaningless statement if you're picturing a "non-optimal" 18 wis cleric who shock horror didn't take guidance and I'm picturing Shitpants McGrath the 8 cha Sorceror

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 30, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Splicer posted:

One of the big issues with these discussions is that nobody agrees on what the word "optimal" means. I think everyone agrees that some optimized build of something 2/something else 18 that results in all your stuff keying off a single stat and shutting down encounters in one round is "optimal". But is playing a full caster with all their ASIs put into their primary stats and appropriate feats with a carefully curated spell selection "optimal"? Is playing a full caster with their casting stat maxed and a spell list based around fun considered optimal? Does your martial need to go into feat combos to be "optimal" or just pump their to-hit? "You can have fun with a non-optimal character" is a completely meaningless statement if you're picturing a "non-optimal" 18 wis cleric who shock horror didn't take guidance and I'm picturing Shitpants McGrath the 8 cha Sorceror

Two options: Optimal is anyone who has appended "lock" to their character's class in some way, or anyone that is perceived as at least slightly more thought out than what your character is.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

theironjef posted:

Optimal is anyone who has appended "lock" to their character's class in some way

Warlock

:smugbert:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I think when people roll their eyes at optimizers they mean like the AL dude who was horrified that my zealot barbarian did necrotic instead of radiant damage because I made an RP choice.

Yes, an eldritch abomination associated with slime and filth is going to give its followers holy damage. OK.

Edit: Or the AL dudes who scoff at anyone who doesn't dump INT on a non-wizard. It's only obnoxious when you're a shithead about it.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 31, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Exactly. Half warlord, half warlock? That rear end in a top hat is up to something fishy. At least he's playing a better game though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think players can, should, and do make suboptimal choices all the time; otherwise you'd see nothing but pam/gwm fighters, sharpshooter/xbow fighters, sorlocks, padlocks, that wacky paladin/warlock/sorcerer multiclass, and bards

i think people have a fear of powergaming, but given that dnd's focus has always been (for me) on collaborative storytelling, that person's either going to have to cobble together one hell of an interesting backstory to justify their character choices or they're going to be locked out of the main part of the game in favor of killing stuff better, i guess in the hopes of Winning Dungeons and Dragons

i also don't think people should create characters who are huge burdens on the party by being bad at their designated skills (rogue that dumps dex and only uses a greataxe or whatever hypothetical meme build you can shake out)

i also also believe that these situations aren't really all that common (they haven't been at the tables i play at). i think most of the people posting about "optimizers" or people who are intentionally handicapping themselves with bad builds are mostly worried about a hypothetical scenario that can be cleared up with some communication about expectations. i know we're all huge goon dorkuses but most of this stuff never seems to come up in the groups i play with/dm for because we're all clear on the type of campaign we want to play in and what kind of characters we want to play.

theironjef posted:

Exactly. Half warlord, half warlock? That rear end in a top hat is up to something fishy. At least he's playing a better game though.

i wish 5e had a class like the commander from 13a but that's probably a little more complex than wotc wanted the mechanics to be

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

i also also believe that these situations aren't really all that common (they haven't been at the tables i play at). i think most of the people posting about "optimizers" or people who are intentionally handicapping themselves with bad builds are mostly worried about a hypothetical scenario that can be cleared up with some communication about expectations. i know we're all huge goon dorkuses but most of this stuff never seems to come up in the groups i play with/dm for because we're all clear on the type of campaign we want to play in and what kind of characters we want to play.

Yeah it's about as common as actually meeting a little brother who needs a simple class.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I had a lot of fun with a long range eldritch blast sorlock build. Had the longest confirmed blast in the civil war and constantly lied about his service. Would recommend.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have a simple thought game for making NPCs that I call PIMP so I can remember it

Thanks for this!

I try to stick to the Lazy DM guidelines as much as possible just to reduce the amount of cluttering up of NPCs that I can do.
My go to accent is some hillbilly or Gus Chiggins from SNL, which my players think is funny but I do want to expand out with voices/NPC depth for the important ones.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
How do people feel about the Circle of the Shepherd Druid? My group is starting Rime of the Frost Maiden soon and the other players are going Barbarian/Bloodhunter/Monk, so we're obviously covered on melee damage. I want to play a caster, but I know that RotFM deals a lot with the elements and thought a druid would be fun in that campaign. I don't want to go Circle of Moon because we've got that sort of stuff covered, but I'm not quite as excited by Circle of Land. Anyone have any experience with Shepherd?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Yeah it's about as common as actually meeting a little brother who needs a simple class.

Oh is someone in the thread going to admit that they're the 8 int wizard then? Cause last time this conversation came up I shared how I was the hypothetical little brother when I first played.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Lazy like a Fox posted:

How do people feel about the Circle of the Shepherd Druid? My group is starting Rime of the Frost Maiden soon and the other players are going Barbarian/Bloodhunter/Monk, so we're obviously covered on melee damage. I want to play a caster, but I know that RotFM deals a lot with the elements and thought a druid would be fun in that campaign. I don't want to go Circle of Moon because we've got that sort of stuff covered, but I'm not quite as excited by Circle of Land. Anyone have any experience with Shepherd?

Seems like a lot of summoned creature management. See if your GM would allow the Wildfire circle. Mine refused... the bastard.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Thanks for this!

I try to stick to the Lazy DM guidelines as much as possible just to reduce the amount of cluttering up of NPCs that I can do.
My go to accent is some hillbilly or Gus Chiggins from SNL, which my players think is funny but I do want to expand out with voices/NPC depth for the important ones.

I've been rocking a delightfully awful french accent for a tiefling bard named "Maurice Champagne". I find it's useful to have a touchstone phrase when you think you're dropping the accent, so Maurice says "How do you say..." so much that it's become the other player's go to means of impersonating him when he's not around.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Oh is someone in the thread going to admit that they're the 8 int wizard then? Cause last time this conversation came up I shared how I was the hypothetical little brother when I first played.

Ooh interesting! Okay, real talk. Genuine question: Did you need a basic class with only one repeatably thing to do every turn to understand what was going on? How little of a brother were you?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Declan MacManus posted:

i wish 5e had a class like the commander from 13a but that's probably a little more complex than wotc wanted the mechanics to be
The actual reason there's no warlord in 5e is because the warlord was in 4e. This is not in any way an exaggeration.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Devorum posted:

In one of my games, I'm playing a Fighter who came to it late in life (he's almost 70) after a raid on his village. Low-Mid physical stats, high Wis and Int. He's not optimized and it's been a blast.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nah. None of my stats are 8. Lowest is Dex at 10. I just don't have 18 Str or Con.

But, hey, I'll keep letting the people saying that having a character without perfectly optimized stats is a liability to the party pretend they're not as toxic as the "ugghh, optimizers" crew.

I lean into my background and ideals, as well, and let them inform my roleplaying. I just also set my stats to align with my background.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 31, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Devorum posted:

Nah. None of my stats are 8. Lowest is Dex at 10. I just don't have 18 Str or Con.

But, hey, I'll keep letting the people saying that having a character without perfectly optimized stats is a liability to the party pretend they're not as toxic as the "ugghh, optimizers" crew.

I lean into my background and ideals, as well, and let them inform my roleplaying. I just also set my stats to align with my background.
See, this is what I mean by the meaninglessness of the word "optimized".

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Devorum posted:

Why do you play DnD if the characters you want to play are incompetent at combat? 95% of everything on your character's sheet is related to combat. If you're more interested in narrative character building, play something better suited. There's a million games out there where your concept isn't running counter to the core of the game. You might end up having more fun than jamming the square peg into the round hole, then getting annoyed at people saying you'd have an easier time if you rounded off the edges.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Undead Hippo posted:

Why do you play DnD if the characters you want to play are incompetent at combat? 95% of everything on your character's sheet is related to combat. If you're more interested in narrative character building, play something better suited. There's a million games out there where your concept isn't running counter to the core of the game. You might end up having more fun than jamming the square peg into the round hole, then getting annoyed at people saying you'd have an easier time if you rounded off the edges.

"Not #1 Best 24/7" does not equal "incompetent". Hope that helps.

I play plenty of things better suited to narrative roleplay, but this particular group likes D&D. I've been gaming for 33 years, I don't need square pegs explained to me, not do I need to be told if I'm having fun or not.

My character is one of the party's favorites, the group loves his backstory and the care that goes into playing him as a reluctant folk hero forced into the role by the expectations of his "fans".

I'm not annoyed by optimizers or optimizing. I optimized pretty often, especially in games based on system mastery like Pathfinder. I'm not even really annoyed by the BadWrongFun Crew. I just roll my eyes and keep doing what I'm doing unless my actual group has a problem with it.

I'm not even sure who has said I should "round off the edges"? At most, someone misunderstood my "flawed" description as meaning I dumped my primary stats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Devorum posted:

"Not #1 Best 24/7"
See it's this kind of thing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Astarion in BG3 is making me hope we get vampire PCs at some point.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Devorum posted:

"Not #1 Best 24/7" does not equal "incompetent". Hope that helps.

If you run "Mid-Low" physical stats on a fighter, you've made a character who is incompetent at doing attacks. Sorry. That's just how the system works.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
There’s a line between “not playing the most optimal build” and “pointlessly mis-built”, and I think it’s somewhere around not having at least a +2 mod in your class’s primary stat(s).

Acting like “you gotta be the #1 best most optimal ever” and “you should be good at the core competencies of your class” are the same thing is really boring and dumb.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'd say that the line depends a lot on the rest of the party, and the overall structure of the group. You are probably good if your rate of success/failure is +/- 15% of the rest of the party when they do similar moves. So, if you are a low strength/dex fighter with a high INT, and chose to skip an ASI to get a feat for expertise in History, you'd probably be way below the expected rate of success and impact in a dungeon-crawl campaign full of combat, but if you are playing a roleplay heavy campaign with a lot of political intrigue then your choice will probably help keep your low-damage fighter in the expected range for competency.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sorry, if you're putting you limited number of "do better at thing" points in categories that don't help your class do their thing you're being a detriment. You're making the deliberate choice of "I want to be worse at the one thing I'm expected to be able to do". You don't gotta take great weapon fighter feats just because they're mathematically the best, but put your limited points in the thing that makes you not miss when you're the class that swings swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it doesn’t really matter at the end of the day; if everyone at the table is cool with it and the player is having fun with their pc, then any build is appropriate

you can’t really tell someone how to have fun, and you especially can’t quantify fun with opportunity cost models