Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

An air conditioner:

Seems like a silly time to get one now, at least here in the northern hemisphere, but my state and local utility have rebates that expire at the end of 2020 for ultra-energy efficient models like this one, so a $400 AC turns into a $100 once I get the rebate checks.

Add in a 5% cash-back offer for buying it w/ a Discover Card and that functionally lowers the price to $80 (well, I guess a little more cause I have to pay tax on the original purchase price, so...$112, I think, after all is said and done?)

And this model is neat because of that "U-shape" in the middle, you can actually open up and use the window after it's installed so if it's not that hot a day/night you can do that.

That's really slick and probably what gives it that level of efficiency. Glad to see there is innovation going on on those. I bet they are way easier to install too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

This and a quote for a 240v outlet install

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

H110Hawk posted:

That's really slick and probably what gives it that level of efficiency. Glad to see there is innovation going on on those. I bet they are way easier to install too.

Well, every review I've read says no, this model is actually a right bitch to install. There's a couple brackets that have to get installed, one external to hold most of the weight against the side of the house, and one inside to brace it against the window frame.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As a birthday / early Christmas gift I finally picked up a piece of furniture that I have been wanting for several years.

The most Grandma piece of furniture there is.

A corner curio cabinet.

Gonna be my liquor spot.

Edit: put my lovely booze in there.

Aramek has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Oct 25, 2020

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I just scored a 65 inch LG Nanocell 90 series tv for $600, hell of a steal.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

My Pixel 2's battery was dying and the speakers were shot. Had no need to get 5G, so went with the basic Pixel 4a instead. Decent upgrade for the price, though I feel I'm going to really miss that notification light.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

My Pixel 2's battery was dying and the speakers were shot. Had no need to get 5G, so went with the basic Pixel 4a instead. Decent upgrade for the price, though I feel I'm going to really miss that notification light.

I also recently got a 4a. The gesture-only navigation option took some getting used to but I really like it now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramek posted:

A corner curio cabinet.

Love this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Aramek posted:

As a birthday / early Christmas gift I finally picked up a piece of furniture that I have been wanting for several years.

Shame on you for not filling it with Toby jugs.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

I went from a 2 to a 3a, and I never even thought about the notification light until you just mentioned it.
Instead, I just have the screen display the clock at all times. Notifications will show up below it

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

EricBauman posted:

I went from a 2 to a 3a, and I never even thought about the notification light until you just mentioned it.
Instead, I just have the screen display the clock at all times. Notifications will show up below it

Pixel 2 has a notification light? I've had mine for like 3 years now and I've never seen it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

St_Ides posted:

Pixel 2 has a notification light? I've had mine for like 3 years now and I've never seen it

Ok, maybe it doesn't and I never noticed it in my switch from the nexus 5 to the pixel 2 in 2017? Either way, I haven't really missed it

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

St_Ides posted:

Settings > Apps and notifications > Toggle on blink light

A MINIATURE LLAMA has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Oct 29, 2020

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Settings > Apps and notifications > Toggle on blink light

I found that setting after that post and turned it on. I still don't see any blinking lights when I get messages

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Okay, so, I tried to push this off to the last minute because as of this exact moment Halloween is not canceled in my city. So it's time to go whole hog.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dell S2721DGF monitor. I finally gave up waiting for a 32", 4K, 144hz VRR, HDR monitor and this is a pretty good stopgap. The only downside (other than not being the above) is pretty bad black levels, but it's not a problem unless playing in the dark.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aramek posted:

drat, I want one of those, for all my grandma-esque doo-dads. I'm all about corner furniture.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Finally pulled the trigger on a LG Cx 65"

Picked out the perfect visual experience to break it in:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

couldcareless posted:

This really needs a Ultra 4K HDR release.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

couldcareless posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a LG Cx 65"

oh god your poor brain

I thought i was gonna puke watching it in theater

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Anyone ever buy from Ali Express? I found a bunch of stuff that I thought would make great, cheap xmas novelty gifts. I've never bought there before, got stuck at a security screen when trying to pay, and now I'm getting this security error, and they want copies of my driver's license, and like a bank statement.

I don't know how I messed up so bad, is that common? I don't feel moved to give that stuff to that site, but idk - are they reputable as a safe vendor? Guess I could just go to ebay instead.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Captain Lavender posted:

Anyone ever buy from Ali Express? I found a bunch of stuff that I thought would make great, cheap xmas novelty gifts. I've never bought there before, got stuck at a security screen when trying to pay, and now I'm getting this security error, and they want copies of my driver's license, and like a bank statement.

I don't know how I messed up so bad, is that common? I don't feel moved to give that stuff to that site, but idk - are they reputable as a safe vendor? Guess I could just go to ebay instead.

Check out the AliExpress thread in GBS. You shouldn't need to provide all that id stuff, try making an account in the phone app or an incognito browser window.

Most stuff is legit but you get what you pay for quality-wise and shipping can take anything from 2 weeks to a year depending on the alignment of the stars and planets and the whims of the gods.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

cyberia posted:

Check out the AliExpress thread in GBS. You shouldn't need to provide all that id stuff, try making an account in the phone app or an incognito browser window.

Most stuff is legit but you get what you pay for quality-wise and shipping can take anything from 2 weeks to a year depending on the alignment of the stars and planets and the whims of the gods.

OK thanks, I will. I was kind of getting a kick out of the idea of ordering this stuff and forgetting about it before it shows up.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
My amazing and wonderful spouse helped me get a wonderful knife for my birthday! It's from Amsler Knives, one of the 2049 versions:

It's even got a cool tritium glow tube in it!

Way to expensive for what I'm probably gonna use it for but it's really nice.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Queadlunn posted:

My amazing and wonderful spouse helped me get a wonderful knife for my birthday!

I don't know from knives, but I assume there's a reason for the handle being that much longer than the blade. Still, nice knife.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Oct 30, 2020

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I don't know from knives, but I assume there's a reason for the handle being that much longer than the blade. Still, nice knife.

Think of it like a really nicely made xacto knife-kinda thing.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

OK thanks, I will. I was kind of getting a kick out of the idea of ordering this stuff and forgetting about it before it shows up.
This is the right use of AliExpress; nothing you rely on, nothing you put in your body, but for little toys or poo poo that would be fun? Totally great. I've bought a big rear end fishing magnet, some fun lighters, keyboard switch testers, dice molds, etc.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Trapick posted:

This is the right use of AliExpress; nothing you rely on, nothing you put in your body, but for little toys or poo poo that would be fun? Totally great. I've bought a big rear end fishing magnet, some fun lighters, keyboard switch testers, dice molds, etc.

I've bought PCB components off of aliexpress because they were my literal only option as Honeywell obsoleted a part that we were using WITH NO REPLACEMENT PART. Aliexpress still had someone selling clones, so that saved us. Also bought a bunch of stuff for building bass effects pedals. Again, you get what you pay for, but it'll do and sometimes it's the only option

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

First new book in seven years from Allie Brosh? Hell yes I bought that!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

OniPanda posted:

I've bought PCB components off of aliexpress because they were my literal only option as Honeywell obsoleted a part that we were using WITH NO REPLACEMENT PART. Aliexpress still had someone selling clones, so that saved us. Also bought a bunch of stuff for building bass effects pedals. Again, you get what you pay for, but it'll do and sometimes it's the only option

This has been my experience when fixing electronics. I needed a very specific lens for a projector light engine that had a bulb burn it. Only place was Aliexpress and you had to buy a pack of 10. Shipping took 3 weeks. I think factories setup pages to sell the parts direct to consumers.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I kind of went on a mini-tear today:

Deftones White Pony 20th Anniversary Reissue and Black Stallion remix album on vinyl

Various things from da share z0ne

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bought a 510 battery for :catdrugs: from Ooze. It's an upgrade from my old Delta 9 with a controllable voltage. It has a preheater, but that's pretty much just like holding down the button and I feel like it wastes oil and ruins what's still in the tank.

Also got Xplane 11 on sale. I adore the new Flight Simulator, but it's buggy still and I wanted something more stable for economic metagames.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Lavender posted:

The Aliexpress thread in GBS is one of GBS's true megathreads and an excellent resource for great crap.

I buy most of my generic goods there now and it has saved me thousands of dollars.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

owl_pellet posted:

I kind of went on a mini-tear today:

Deftones White Pony 20th Anniversary Reissue and Black Stallion remix album on vinyl

Hhgggnnn. I got Around the Fur on vinyl since that's my favorite Deftones album, but I still need to get White Pony. Need to make another trip to Amoeba :shepspends:

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I bought a weird calculator. It's actually two calculators stapled together, supposedly it helped with complex numbers and surveying. I'm quite curious what other use cases there may have been for it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

OniPanda posted:

Hhgggnnn. I got Around the Fur on vinyl since that's my favorite Deftones album, but I still need to get White Pony. Need to make another trip to Amoeba :shepspends:

If I ever go back to CA Amoeba is in my top 5 things to do/visit. I miss the old days of spending an hour or two at the music store flipping through physical albums and listening to whatever is playing over the speakers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spy_Guy posted:

I bought a weird calculator. It's actually two calculators stapled together, supposedly it helped with complex numbers and surveying. I'm quite curious what other use cases there may have been for it.

Maybe could be used to bludgeon a whale to death.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Can I call paying off my student loan debt a purchase? I just did that yesterday, and am officially out of debt entirely. The idea of having surplus money is both thrilling and terrifying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Lavender posted:

Can I call paying off my student loan debt a purchase? I just did that yesterday, and am officially out of debt entirely. The idea of having surplus money is both thrilling and terrifying.

Congratulations! That’s huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Captain Lavender posted:

That’s awesome! Cross post here also! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495022