Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure if I like the barely any lip thing on the fabric case, but it's not too bad.

I do like how easy it is to do gestures though since I constantly fought with the Spigen on my Pixel 4 XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Khanstant posted:

is there no simple way to send a chrome tab to your pc from your phone's chrome?

Not sure about "sending" it, but if you are logged in to the same Google account on both devices you can go Chrome -> History -> Tabs from other devices and see all the tabs you have open on your phone and grab it from there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Khanstant posted:

is there no simple way to send a chrome tab to your pc from your phone's chrome?

From your phone go to the three dots in the upper right hand corner and choose share. one of the options there should be to share it to your other devices that have been logged into chrome.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Not sure about "sending" it, but if you are logged in to the same Google account on both devices you can go Chrome -> History -> Tabs from other devices and see all the tabs you have open on your phone and grab it from there.

Yeah, do it this way, you don't need to actively tell it to share or anything

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Mat Cauthon posted:

The exact same thing happened to me today ; my OG pixel died about 75% through the data transfer process. I had to charge it back up to 50% and then reconnect it, the transfer process picked up where it left off. For whatever reason the Pixel 5 didn't drop out of the process while I was charging the other phone, probably because I left the transfer cable plugged into it the whole time. If you reconnect your phone it might do the same thing for you, otherwise you just have to start over.

Pretty pleased with the Pixel 5, although I did have to enable the bottom row of navigation buttons because I could not figure out the newfangled swipe navigation and kept logging myself out of apps. I didn't notice the speakers being abysmally bad but I'm not an audiophile so IDK. They were loud enough to play some music in the background while I was cooking dinner and keep the kid occupied with Sesame Street while we were getting ready for bed, that's enough for me.

The only downside I can see right now is the memory. My wife's Galaxy S20 has half a terabyte, feels very limiting and behind the times to not have any more storage on this phone than I had on my old Pixel (128gb) and no option to expand it either. I don't save much on my phone besides music and a billion pictures of our kid so it should be fine, but I'll have to be judicious with the storage and rely on cloud services more than I like. The cloth case is solid, although I don't know if it's worth $40. The texture is very nice, feels good in your hand, and being able to wash it when necessary are all cool though. If you're on the fence I'd say wait for a sale or something.

Did a factory reset and tried it again. The same thing happened but this time I kept the cable plugged in while I charged my OG pixel.

The pixel 5 seems really nice but my phone is really warm after using it for a bit.

This is really worrying me because my pixel 1 got super warm and the battery poo poo itself at the same time.

The other weird thing is the speaker volume.

Playing puzzle and dragons some of the sounds are super loud, while some sounds are super quiet. Which is really different from my OG pixel where all sounds had the same volume. Really bizarre.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cromlech posted:

Also, how do I get the old screenshot functionality back? Swipe up to take screenshots doesn't include the full UI elements and I can't take screenshots of my home screen either.

You don't. Use VolDown+Power.

Khanstant posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

From your phone go to the three dots in the upper right hand corner and choose share. one of the options there should be to share it to your other devices that have been logged into chrome.

sourdough posted:

Yeah, do it this way, you don't need to actively tell it to share or anything

Should be even easier than this. If you're logged into Chrome mouseover the address bar and to the left of the star at the right should be an icon to send to all other devices you're logged into.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 31, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

You don't. Use VolDown+Power.

Should be even easier than this. If you're logged into Chrome mouseover the address bar and to the left of the star at the right should be an icon to send to all other devices you're logged into.

They were asking how to send it from phone to pc

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FAUXTON posted:

FWIW I think it's cool and never knew it was there because the icon doesn't appear unless I click there--which I never would, because why would you be clicking in blank empty space over on the end of the address bar like that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrDork posted:

FWIW I think it's cool and never knew it was there because the icon doesn't appear unless I click there--which I never would, because why would you be clicking in blank empty space over on the end of the address bar like that?

Wait. Just right click the tab.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Alright, so after using my Simply Sage Pixel 5 tonight, it's getting really warm on the side opposite the camera. This is both interesting and incredibly unsettling, as my OG Pixel never heated up doing the same things I'm doing with this Pixel 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I even re-read it several times to make sure I didn't have it backward

Still I found out if you tap in the address bar in Android Chrome it brings up the share icon which, when tapped, has the same Send to Devices link right at the top.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait. Just right click the tab.

I *thought* it was there too but I'm at work and thus not signed in so I couldn't verify.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I even re-read it several times to make sure I didn't have it backward

Still I found out if you tap in the address bar in Android Chrome it brings up the share icon which, when tapped, has the same Send to Devices link right at the top.

I *thought* it was there too but I'm at work and thus not signed in so I couldn't verify.

gently caress me I never noticed when they changed that to "chrome" instead of printing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

gently caress me I never noticed when they changed that to "chrome" instead of printing

Yeah it's all manner of hosed up. The Chrome share function also has exactly the same link and it will show up on the Share Sheet in the scrolly part. The top "above the fold" section of the Share Sheet is for app-specific actions that, if left unspecified, I think just have Copy and Nearby in them, otherwise they have specific actions related to just that app. For Photos it's creating a shared album with who you select and for Chrome it's Copy, Send to Devices, and Print. This is fairly new, I think Android 10.

You would think the universal part of the Share Sheet would have the same Chrome > Send to Devices link you get within Chrome on third party apps when they share but you don't. I don't know why but I assume it's restricted. You also never get the Chrome > Send to Devices in other Google apps' Share Sheets.

It seems to be a work in progress because the link to that always jumps around.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I learned this tonight too! Thread continues to rule.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I learned this tonight too! Thread continues to rule.

Circularly, the only reason I knew about all of this was a question in this very thread where someone was upset that Android Chrome defaults to Mobile Bookmarks because they wanted to use bookmarks to send things home to read later. I recommend Join for that purpose usually, but the native system works well as long as you aren't like me and prevented from logging in at work. Either way I documented all the ways the Send to Device is put into Chrome for that post and so I'm glad that the research ended up benefiting others because the person who asked the question never posted in the thread again to say if it worked for their purposes. :)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FogHelmut posted:

I really like the texture of the Pixel 5 body.

Anyone use a tempered glass screen protector? The last time I used one, I forget which phone, put the edges of the screen curved away and the protector had issues around the edges.

I hadn't used a screen protector since my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. My Galaxy S7 didn't respond to any touches at the corners (couldn't even tap the phone icon in the dock) when using a screen protector, and I didn't bother with my Pixels 1, 2 or 3.

I have a glass screen protector on my Pixel 5 and it works perfectly though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I use a phone wallet. Very dad object, but it's thin at least. I drop my phone on a hard surface monthly and it's still pristine after 3+ years. I'll be doing the same with the next phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_5_teardown_video_offers_a_bit_more_context_for_the_screen_gap_issue-news-46063.php

Looks like the gap showing up in some P5's is actually cosmetic and won't cause an issue for water resistance. It's certainly not a feature as some Google CS reps are claiming though. There are big clamps on the screen inside so it shouldn't get any worse though.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hadn't used a screen protector since my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. My Galaxy S7 didn't respond to any touches at the corners (couldn't even tap the phone icon in the dock) when using a screen protector, and I didn't bother with my Pixels 1, 2 or 3.

I have a glass screen protector on my Pixel 5 and it works perfectly though.

Which glass screen protector do you have? I'm thinking of getting one for mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

Holy gently caress, been surfing the internet for 40 minutes and my Pixel 5 battery is still at 100%.

Unsure if godlike battery or software glitch, with Google it could be either.

EDIT: proof

Turns out, software glitch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I guess I disabled something or goofed something up, don't even have the option to send tab to phone from desktop anymore and I know I've done that at least once before.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I guess I disabled something or goofed something up, don't even have the option to send tab to phone from desktop anymore and I know I've done that at least once before.

In both places? If I right click on a tab and mouse to Send to your Devices, I get both my Chrome OS tablet and Pixel 4 XL. If I use the icon in the omnibox, it only shows "Google Phone" and says it was last used 11 days ago. A very Google outcome.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There used to be a Chrome to Phone extension made by Google, but in true Google fashion they killed it before they fully implemented it directly in Chrome. Good to see its mostly back in and functional.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bandire posted:

There used to be a Chrome to Phone extension made by Google, but in true Google fashion they killed it before they fully implemented it directly in Chrome. Good to see its mostly back in and functional.

It's been around for a while though? At least I've had it since last year. It's just not a feature they really advertise.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Khanstant posted:

You're certain that your desktop and your phone are using the same Google account? I'd imagine the option wouldn't show up if the account only shows one active device.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LastInLine posted:

In both places? If I right click on a tab and mouse to Send to your Devices, I get both my Chrome OS tablet and Pixel 4 XL. If I use the icon in the omnibox, it only shows "Google Phone" and says it was last used 11 days ago. A very Google outcome.

I can send/receive files through windows bluetooth deal, but on my phone if I try to send to nearby devices, my PC, nothing, shows up. No button in desktop chrome bar, and no "send to device" option of right clicking tabs. Sync is on on both devices. I've added my phone as a bluetooth device. Not sure what I'm missing or am doing wrong.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_5_teardown_video_offers_a_bit_more_context_for_the_screen_gap_issue-news-46063.php

Looks like the gap showing up in some P5's is actually cosmetic and won't cause an issue for water resistance. It's certainly not a feature as some Google CS reps are claiming though. There are big clamps on the screen inside so it shouldn't get any worse though.

Which glass screen protector do you have? I'm thinking of getting one for mine.

Hah, they're not even listed anymore on Amazon. The camera cutout is misaligned in it but it doesn't obscure the images. I got some sort of wireless charger after reviewing it on Amazon but joke's on them, I'm returning then and ordering another make.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh god. I just got my P5.

The navigation buttons are SO FAR DOWN due to no bottom speaker unlike on the P3 wow

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah I keep pressing nav buttons by accident, time to relearn how to hold a phone I guess

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i've been obsessively consuming reviews and opinion pieces around the pixel 5 bc i'm absolutely itching to finally upgrade from my 2 XL. finally decided to head to best buy and just see the thing in person.

i took some comparison shots with my 2 XL and the 5 in the store. used the "share nearby" feature to send myself the photos from the 5 (neat feature) and i have to say the results from this very informal and haphazard test were really surprising to me.

Pixel 2

Pixel 5

Pixel 2

Pixel 5

the 5 sometimes gets more fine details but also seems to make things blurrier than they need to be and also blue-er overall. the 2 XL seems like shots are brighter with more in focus. after this test i'm having a hard time convincing myself to "upgrade"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i've been obsessively consuming reviews and opinion pieces around the pixel 5 bc i'm absolutely itching to finally upgrade from my 2 XL. finally decided to head to best buy and just see the thing in person.

i took some comparison shots with my 2 XL and the 5 in the store. used the "share nearby" feature to send myself the photos from the 5 (neat feature) and i have to say the results from this very informal and haphazard test were really surprising to me.

Pixel 2

Pixel 5

Pixel 2

Pixel 5

the 5 sometimes gets more fine details but also seems to make things blurrier than they need to be and also blue-er overall. the 2 XL seems like shots are brighter with more in focus. after this test i'm having a hard time convincing myself to "upgrade"

It's the same Sony image sensor. We knew this. There is an additional ultrawide lens on the 5, but other than that we weren't expecting major photo upgrades. There are many other reasons to upgrade from the Pixel 2, and they've already been posted repeatedly in this thread (and I even replied directly to you with them).

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I think if you take like 10 shots, one every 30 seconds starting with it in your pocket every time, you will get the variance in quality you're seeing.

These phones don't dial in like a DSLR on manual. They are constantly adjusting the settings based on what that old sensor is picking up. If anything, your photos just prove that the quality is the exact same, save for some minor differences in color temperature.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my 5 came in today. going to take a bit to get used to using my fingerprint again. i really wish there was a way to hide stuff in the drawer without having to use another launcher. i don't need Android Auto, Pixel Tips, Recorder and Safety taking up space. also Google Authenticator will let you transfer between devices but it's a manual process which i discovered after wiping my old phone so that's gonna be fun setting those up again

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

butt dickus posted:

my 5 came in today. going to take a bit to get used to using my fingerprint again. i really wish there was a way to hide stuff in the drawer without having to use another launcher. i don't need Android Auto, Pixel Tips, Recorder and Safety taking up space. also Google Authenticator will let you transfer between devices but it's a manual process which i discovered after wiping my old phone so that's gonna be fun setting those up again

Yeah it's weird to see people complain about Samsung phones having bloatware and here I am unable to delete Google apps off my marquee Android phone :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

is it weird? this phone is better than anything samsung makes but that doesn't mean i can't wish it were a little better

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

butt dickus posted:

is it weird? this phone is better than anything samsung makes but that doesn't mean i can't wish it were a little better

That's not what I meant; it would be rad if there was no permanent bloatware on any phone. This thread just always poops on Samsung for it while I was surprised to see it's present on Pixels as well as I got my first Pixel last week myself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All Google apps can be disabled but that's not what OP wants. He's looking to hide them from the launcher, not remove them. This isn't a bloatware thing, it's a stock launcher thing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i completely forgot about disabling, i'm used to the "App Info" option appearing at the top of the launcher. c'ya later, pixel tips and friends.
there's no option to disable messages or phone, though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i completely forgot about disabling, i'm used to the "App Info" option appearing at the top of the launcher. c'ya later, pixel tips and friends.
there's no option to disable messages or phone, though

That would cause 99.9% of users more harm than good, so it's the right choice to not allow those two to be disabled.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Disabling is nice, wasn't aware that it would hide apps from the app drawer.

Still stuck with Messages+ which I'm not using. I bought the phone unlocked from Amazon, not sure if that app comes from Google or if a carrier app managed to find its way into the phone by updating with a Verizon sim in it or what.