Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My mom did 100+ with me when we were on some empty up-north road.

We were in an old ford minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember when I got my first BP Miata and I was amazed at how effortlessly it got to 100 compared to the 1.6, and it handled 100+ very well.

Also did dumb poo poo back in the day on my GSXR 750 that probably should have killed me, glad I lived long enough to stop doing dumb poo poo on motorcycles.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

175 in my old E55 AMG, 180mm big crank pulley, big intercooler and pump, shorty headers, tuned and de-limited. It was a 3 mile length of completely straight interstate.

Completely stupid but it was still pulling.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

wallaka posted:

175 in my old E55 AMG, 180mm big crank pulley, big intercooler and pump, shorty headers, tuned and de-limited. It was a 3 mile length of completely straight interstate.

Completely stupid but it was still pulling.

That was probably a 200mph car, pussy

I chickened out at 120 in the Trollblazer, though I’m not sure it had much more left with 4.10 gears and a 4 speed auto. Sounded glorious.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
1996 Chevrolet Express van hits fuel cut at 100 :cool:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I used to test tires my favorite test mule was an old 3rd gen camaro that had been massaged a bit with unique aero and an LS1. 175 on the banked oval all day just gets kind of boring after a while though.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 29, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YLEPFa750

Hummer EV couldn't interest me less, however the little "charging indicator" headlights is a really neat idea and put a silly smile on my face :neckbeard:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The Genesis GV70 looks great in Sport trim.
Im not a big fan of the steering wheel on the non sport trim though. Its too big.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/2022-genesis-gv70-suv/6/

Now I just need to have Genesis through some power at this thing, and Id consider it for a next vehicle purchase.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have to say, for a crossover, a category of vehicles I often hate, I very much do not hate that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PT6A posted:

I have to say, for a crossover, a category of vehicles I often hate, I very much do not hate that.

Pretty slick overall but the exhaust looks like dueling gaped anuses.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That reminds me a lot of the Infinity EX35, same idea, smallish sporty RWD crossover.

I almost bought one but they were still a bit pricey for nice ones and the fuel economy was horrible. They are pretty drat quick tho with the VQ.

If Genesis pulls this off with decent power and decent mpg it looks like the best CUV to come out in awhile. But yeah the steering wheel sucks :v:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Got up to 135 in my old rx8. It was on a highway in the middle of the night. I was a dumb kid.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

The Genesis GV70 looks great in Sport trim.

i see a macan with better interior

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MeruFM posted:

i see a macan with better interior

Maybe from the direct rear but the shape and details is all wrong from every other angle.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

I got the SHO up to it's factory limited speed of 120 once, and it rode so nice at that speed.

I can attest to the 1995 SHO's maximum top speed of 140mph, but it was absolutely terrifying, especially since the car was 10 years old at the time.

I miss my green rocket sedan. :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

two huge blue gum
Definitely did a double-take at this before I googled and realized it was an Australian tree. :stare:

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Am I alone in feeling Genesis is becoming the spiritual successor to 80s/90s-era Mercedes? Interiors feel like they picked up some designers from Citroën too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fifty Three posted:

Definitely did a double-take at this before I googled and realized it was an Australian tree. :stare:

A large extremely solid tree that makes a mockery of roll cages if cars hit them.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Genesis will be my next car, just need to reconcile these panel gaaaps. At least they're consistent.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The LS430 is limited to 131, presumably the same max speed as the stock all-seasons it originally came with.

smooth jazz posted:

Genesis will be my next car, just need to reconcile these panel gaaaps. At least they're consistent.

Yeesh. I've seen tighter panel gaps on die-cast cars.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In fairness, the gaps are due to the number of and complex shapes of the panels. If you look at the hatch of modern Audi with the clamshell design, they also have large gaps.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1322189778515800073?s=21

Not as bad as Telsa but I hate all these add ons and subscriptions for driving.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wouldn't mind if it were more a la carte, instead of $3K for <mondo tech package>.

But yes, any & all subscription concepts can gently caress right off.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A large extremely solid tree that makes a mockery of roll cages if cars hit them.
Right, I got that. There are other contexts where it's a racial slur.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1322189778515800073?s=21

Imagine getting into your car, selecting self drive for a long trip overnight and then it hitting midnight, your subscription to the self drive package lapsing and the car switching self drive off without you noticing and just failing to take the next corner...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hopefully they'd be smart enough to make it continue until the next time the car starts up. But that would be funny in a not actually all that funny kind of way.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Zero One posted:

Games of Service arrives in the automotive industry.

But then again, I'm a person who still wants a crank for my windows.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

My only fear is that the GV70 is going to be too much.
I didnt realize you could get as crazy price wise on the GV80.
$72,375 is a lot of money. And for that to just have the 3.5T, which Ive been told is fine and all, but nothing to write home about power wise.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think Genesis is taking the classy approach for the luxo-suvs. They have "adequate" power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
telemetry and remote monitoring is expensive and unlike everything else on the car has an ongoing cost to the manufacturer so it makes sense for that stuff to get pushed in to subscriptions

subscriptions for anything else are bullshit tho

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

so looks like G80 VS GV80 is a difference of $3300.
If that same logic works on the G70 vs GV70, that would put a Sport at $56675 for the GV70. Thats doable.
I'm also rocking 250HP now, so I imagine 365hp would be just fine for me as long as the GV70 isnt a fat loving pig.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think Genesis is taking the classy approach for the luxo-suvs. They have "adequate" power.

Honestly I prefer that myself, you can enjoy speed some of the time but you can enjoy comfort all of the time. There's only so many spirited on ramps in my daily driving.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

smooth jazz posted:

Given that two of those panels have to move so need more clearance, making the other non moving gap match those is probably visually the better option.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

As Nero Danced posted:

Honestly I prefer that myself, you can enjoy speed some of the time but you can enjoy comfort all of the time. There's only so many spirited on ramps in my daily driving.

It's 2020, there's no reason you can't have both, variable suspension is a thing, and you can always make a sportier suspension an option for more money.

It's probably fine for 90% of people, and "enough" for 100% of them, but it's still something the Germans have over competitors, and someone coming off a X3M40 or GLC43 lease, is going to have to be okay "upgrading" to a slower car if Genesis wants that conquest, among other things.

Also comfort seems like one of the worst reasons to be in the market for something like this, just get a Mazda CX-5 turbo if you want a nice to be in, comfortable but peppy ride and save $10k. You can have comfort without spending luxury car money nowadays.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 31, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Franco Caution posted:

so looks like G80 VS GV80 is a difference of $3300.
If that same logic works on the G70 vs GV70, that would put a Sport at $56675 for the GV70. Thats doable.
I'm also rocking 250HP now, so I imagine 365hp would be just fine for me as long as the GV70 isnt a fat loving pig.

The G70 fuckin scoots. I caught up to one on the highway the other day wanting a better look. Dude glanced over. Smiled and took the gently caress off. We were already doing 70 and he blasted away.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

The G70 fuckin scoots. I caught up to one on the highway the other day wanting a better look. Dude glanced over. Smiled and took the gently caress off. We were already doing 70 and he blasted away.

Can confirm. I raced it’s sibling earlier this summer. I had a Stinger GT pull up next to me on the highway while we were both doing about 70. A guy a little older than me with his young teenage son in the passenger seat, he gave me the thumbs up as his son was pointing at my car, he honked and I nodded and on the third honk we both floored it. I dropped down to 4th to build boost quickly and he kept up pretty good to about 90 but I started to slowly pull on him after that and I’d put two car lengths on him when I shut it down and I was flirting with 130. He gave me a big thumbs up and I was seriously impressed with that platform.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sorry I missed the nav discussion but do you guys ever feel like Waze will send you on a really stupid detour to save 30 seconds? Sometimes I feel like it's just trying to justify itself by telling you to take a stupid route, and half the time by the time you get on the detour it's full of other Waze users.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prom candy posted:

Sorry I missed the nav discussion but do you guys ever feel like Waze will send you on a really stupid detour to save 30 seconds? Sometimes I feel like it's just trying to justify itself by telling you to take a stupid route, and half the time by the time you get on the detour it's full of other Waze users.

All navs are prone to these problems. Unless there’s an accident or construction in front of you, you’re frequently better served to avoid residential cut throughs and stay on main roads. If the estimated time saved is less than 5 minutes it’s usually not worth the detour at all.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Midjack posted:

All navs are prone to these problems. Unless there’s an accident or construction in front of you, you’re frequently better served to avoid residential cut throughs and stay on main roads. If the estimated time saved is less than 5 minutes it’s usually not worth the detour at all.

Almost seems like similar to being able to set the "no toll roads" option you should be able to do the same for a "no stupid residential cut through" option.

At least in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

prom candy posted:

Yeah I stopped using it.

edit: the residential cut through is creating real problems for people too, I'm tired and lazy to find articles right now.