Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

the obama/biden administration only provided direct aid to the saudis in their genocide, which was so much better and much more deniable

just admit you want quiet liberal white supremacy so you can go back to your videogames already

personally I want president AOC and guaranteed food, water, shelter, and healthcare for every human on the planet.

but if projecting a cartoon character onto random people online helps you sleep go nuts my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you will never get any of those things by supporting joe biden and telling the DNC they can rig as many primaries as they want because you'll just vote for the centrist shithead they ram down your throat anyways. hope that helps, or maybe you just don't actually care.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

you will never get any of those things by supporting joe biden and telling the DNC they can rig as many primaries as they want because you'll just vote for the centrist shithead they ram down your throat anyways. hope that helps, or maybe you just don't actually care.

AOC won

Omar won

Tlaib won

local elections matter far more if you want change. when you start going national it’s better to be more strategic. make places blue then push left.

otherwise it sounds like the online left is more interested in yelling at others while stroking their own ego as if pride is more important than human lives

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

miniscule12 posted:

I am aware that a trump presidency is worse than a biden one, I'm still not voting for biden.

Unironically this is the best no joe position I've ever seen

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

Unironically this is the best no joe position I've ever seen

stop hitting yourself

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

AOC won

Omar won

Tlaib won

local elections matter far more if you want change. when you start going national it’s better to be more strategic. make places blue then push left.

otherwise it sounds like the online left is more interested in yelling at others while stroking their own ego as if pride is more important than human lives

those are local elections, not presidential primaries. you know this and are arguing absolutely nothing contradictory to what I have said.

and you don't care about human lives because you support a warmongering rapist for president that has promised nothing but brutal austerity and uncontrolled spread of a deadly virus.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

those are local elections, not presidential primaries. you know this and are arguing absolutely nothing contradictory to what I have said.

and you don't care about human lives because you support a warmongering rapist for president that has promised nothing but brutal austerity and uncontrolled spread of a deadly virus.

I support harm reduction since trump is all those things and more. arguing otherwise is silly as recent news of his international policies have shown

feel free to keep arguing with cardboard cutout arguments no one has made if it helps you sleep at night

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I support harm reduction since trump is all those things and more. arguing otherwise is silly as recent news of his international policies have shown

feel free to keep arguing with cardboard cutout arguments no one has made if it helps you sleep at night

You actively do not know what "harm reduction" is and are a goddamn illiterate.

You just want the same death and cruelty as before but more quietly. Liberal white supremacy is a hell of a drug.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

You just want the same death and cruelty as before but more quietly. Liberal white supremacy is a hell of a drug.

are you able to point out anywhere that I’ve said that or are you more interested in an argument no one is making?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Harm Reduction, in reality, is something like a safe injection site for drug addicts. It allows you to contain the use of drugs and get it off the public streets, but more importantly, it allows social workers to get in direct contact with addicts that need real help and be able to provide it to them, without getting the (militarized) police involved. It is a path to an actual solution to the problem of drug addiction.

Literally nothing you are suggesting is any form of harm reduction. You are suggesting more endless war and brutal austerity, maintaining the material conditions which grow the cesspool that Trump came to power from. You are advocating for locking in a Trump 2.0 in 2024, far more competent and cruel than you can possibly imagine. That's all you are doing by supporting Biden - ensuring an even greater fascism to destroy the lives you pretend to care about.

But you'll get to forget about all this and go back to playing videogames for a little while, so it's "harm reduction" for you and you alone, and that's all you care about.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

is is the phrase “harm reduction” that you are getting caught up on?

would “minimize potential damage” work?

you keep arguing about things I have not stated nor support. it’s like you’re more interested in talking past people than with people

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So now you've actively backed off from a term that you know you were using incorrectly, but you heard it from some liberal online and thought it made you sound smart. You don't actually believe in the arguments you're making, on top of being illiterate. No wonder you want Biden as President, thinking about these things hurts your tiny brain and you want to go back to your videogames.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

if you need to pretend I’m a “yase queen” liberal to help get out some anger burning in you, that’s fine.

sometimes venting is healthy for the mind. feel free to use this thread for that if it helps :)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't have an actual argument and you don't believe in anything you're posting, so now you're reduced to snark. I get it.

Now's the time to learn some actual leftism and abandon these delusions that supporting a warmongering rapist is somehow virtuous or worse yet, "harm reduction."

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

im more interested in people receiving food, water, shelter, and healthcare and taking steps to make sure that happens. having another 4 years of a trump admin bombing countries around the world and turning the largest military force in the world into a puppet of white nationalists will make that far more difficult

you seem more interested in yelling at people about arguments they never made

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I usually see, including in the thread, that Trump does less harm abroad and therefor is less dangerous than Biden when viewing the larger picture. that just isn’t true.

hey there, I am a foreigner, let us do a context exercise

here's the thing: I am, to my present government, pretty much as explicit as an adversary can get (queer and commie). Trump's incompetence by kneecapping your State Department has contributed massively to Bolsonaro's own in rather unexpected ways; however, I strongly doubt that would be the case with a Democratic president, as they would make sure that as long as the commercial relations were strongly in favor of American interests and ensuring proper projection of power, they would give absolutely no fucks if people like me are getting their teeth kicked in, arrested or worse

you were talking about Yemen. Would a Democrat president, pressured by Saudi Arabia in those matters, avoid that clusterfuck entirely? No, they would not: geopolitical interests and the international arrangement of those interests is maintained and executed primarily the government of the United States. What a Democrat president would provide, for the electorate, is proper appearances, which is far more soothing and relevant for the liberal electorate than what you are imagining. Hillary Clinton was a major director of military action in Libya, and slave trade has resurged in its wake.

this is the problem when you disregard leftists providing a leftist critique of the situation, where structural forces are far more relevant to pay attention to than the figure of the president. By all means, it is completely appropriate for you and others like yourself to vote for Biden because, as we talked before, "democrats [and I assume by extension democratic policies] have never harmed me or my family", and perhaps other close ones as well, and this is perfectly fine. What is wrong is to make this practical, material choice into a moralistic one: your circumstances are not the same of many others here, and by browbeating others on the rightness of your choice, excoriating them for not voting what you consider right, you are being far more the ideologue than any leftist around here.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

hey there, I am a foreigner, let us do a context exercise

this is the problem when you disregard leftists providing a leftist critique of the situation, where structural forces are far more relevant to pay attention to than the figure of the president. By all means, it is completely appropriate for you and others like yourself to vote for Biden because, as we talked before, "democrats [and I assume by extension democratic policies] have never harmed me or my family", and perhaps other close ones as well, and this is perfectly fine. What is wrong is to make this practical, material choice into a moralistic one: your circumstances are not the same of many others here, and by browbeating others on the rightness of your choice, excoriating them for not voting what you consider right, you are being far more the ideologue than any leftist around here.

I don’t feel I’m disregarding the critiques since I have similar ones myself. however I’m also not seeing alternatives. nothing suggested in this thread couldn’t be done in addition to ensuring an overt white supremacist doesn’t win at a national level.

lots of suggestions appear self serving than serving those in need

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

im more interested in people receiving food, water, shelter, and healthcare and taking steps to make sure that happens. having another 4 years of a trump admin bombing countries around the world and turning the largest military force in the world into a puppet of white nationalists will make that far more difficult

you seem more interested in yelling at people about arguments they never made

your vote for biden betray's your lack of convictions.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

your vote for biden betray's your lack of convictions.

because..........???

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

because..........???

quote:

im more interested in people receiving food, water, shelter, and healthcare and taking steps to make sure that happens.
A Biden vote undermines every one of those things.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

A Biden vote undermines every one of those things.

most politicians are that way. some don’t undermine everything or do less damage than the alternative. it doesn’t mean that you support what they are doing. that’s a juvenile way of thinking. it’s minimizing damage to buy time to primary them out and get in people who actively work to help others

I’d love to hear the alternative and not have another page of online leftist screaming past me though

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you don't acknowledge more then two choices, you have needlessly and uselessly crippled yourself, it's very juvenile.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If you don't acknowledge more then two choices, you have needlessly and uselessly crippled yourself, it's very juvenile.

are you going to name them or tut tut instead?

edit: I’m starting to get the impression the only thing “online leftists” do is yell at people online and self congratulate each other while the rest of the world begs for help.

meanwhile leftists like myself and those I interact with are donating time, energy, and/or goods/services.

virtualboyCOLOR has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Oct 31, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why are you so obsessed with Joe Biden tho

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just an fyi. My interaction with you is 100% "online." Pointing out that I am online is trivial. What I do in the 99.999% of time I am not interacting with you (this is 6minutes a year) is something you are ignorant of. Meanwhile based on your posting in this thread, you spend your time talking about how you are a "true leftist". But what you must realize is that vote for biden renders that objectively false.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Just an fyi. My interaction with you is 100% "online." Pointing out that I am online is trivial. What I do in the 99.999% of time I am not interacting with you (this is 6minutes a year) is something you are ignorant of. Meanwhile based on your posting in this thread, you spend your time talking about how you are a "true leftist". But what you must realize is that vote for biden renders that objectively false.

thats like saying using an electronic device to communicate online means you support slave labor since that is what is require to mine and build the components

it’s like saying paying for internet service means you support capitalism

it’s silly.

what alternatives are you offering that are meaningful are do you still wish to talk past people instead of interacting with them?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also Biden wants to give pigs an extra third of a billion dollars a year - and Trump doesn’t - so the “harm reduction” thing isn’t even true across the board domestically

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

indigi posted:

also Biden wants to give pigs an extra third of a billion dollars a year - and Trump doesn’t - so the “harm reduction” thing isn’t even true across the board domestically

at this point you’re just making things up. to insulate trump doesn’t want to give police more money is laughable on its face

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i used to be all about lesser of two evil voting but not anymore. harm reduction in a duopoly can only carry us so far and we've reached that threshold. in this system, moderates are the gatekeepers of progress and the more they hold back the worse things will get.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Radirot posted:

i used to be all about lesser of two evil voting but not anymore. harm reduction in a duopoly can only carry us so far and we've reached that threshold. in this system, moderates are the gatekeepers of progress and the more they hold back the worse things will get.

ok

so what do you do to move forward?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah, if you're willing to vote for the "less evil" candidate why does that party ever have to offer you a good one? They just offer a "less evil" one and hey they've got your vote. Nothing gets better on this track, just worse slower. And maybe that's fine to you, but frankly where we are, we're already largely hosed so worse slower doesn't mean anything anymore. We need to get better not worse slower and no lesser evil ever makes anything better.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Eimi posted:

Yeah, if you're willing to vote for the "less evil" candidate why does that party ever have to offer you a good one? They just offer a "less evil" one and hey they've got your vote. Nothing gets better on this track, just worse slower. And maybe that's fine to you, but frankly where we are, we're already largely hosed so worse slower doesn't mean anything anymore. We need to get better not worse slower and no lesser evil ever makes anything better.

what

is

the

alternative

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

what

is

the

alternative

Doing this has gotten us here, and poo poo has just gotten worse. So not doing this is a first step.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

what

is

the

alternative
Honestly? Nothing that you won't be able to say "you can do that AND vote, too."

But, I can say the same for making GBS threads in a sock.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Honestly? Nothing that you won't be able to say "you can do that AND vote, too."

But, I can say the same for making GBS threads in a sock.

so no alternative except “clap backing” at people online. god drat online leftists are as bad as the libs holy poo poo

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Let me ask you this, VBC: how many votes have you picked up for team blue with your posting on this thread? And, can you think of any other activities that would have tipped the scales even more, in the amount of time you've spent here?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Let me ask you this, VBC: how many votes have you picked up for team blue with your posting on this thread? And, can you think of any other activities that would have tipped the scales even more, in the amount of time you've spent here?

I think at max single digits

at the same time I’m looking to understand how online leftist think. so far it’s a lot of yelling past people and projecting. I’m not seeing a lot of calls to action or meaningful alternatives.

in the meantime I’ll continue to vote and donate what I can to causes that move the needle left. it’s a proven strategy so far.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I wish I could go back and undo my vote for Biden (if he wins, specific relevant things will likely actually improve for me) bc you're his biggest fan and super cringey

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Biden sucks and is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

ok

so what do you do to move forward?

going forward im about giving more power to the green party. i know this isnt the best answer but individually i see no other way in breaking the duopoly.