Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
M!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey, we did it. Posting Sine Fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haven't seen a snipe that good since David and Goliath.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Now that we're in the thousands this should be titled the medieval history thread. Change it to early modern when we get to page 1453.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

1453 is actually where I plan to close and restart the thread. :ssh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

1806 or bust

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Holding out for 1917

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
1204 imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
1054 Manzikert never forget.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
We need to temporarily close down this thread, take over the milhist thread and the history book threads in the book barn, then stab each other a bunch.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Should of been back on page 476.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So Western Historiography generally unanimously agrees the deposing of Romulus Augustulus as the end of Antiquity/Ancient times, and the the Ottomans taking Constantinople as the end of Medieval Times. And yes I am aware that historians now all agree those dates are arbitrary and more for convenience than fact. But when does the Early Modern period end? I've seen three-way divisions where the early modern is up till Westphalia, Late Modern is up till WWI, and Contemporary is up till now. I've seen two-way divisions that use either the French Revolution or Napoleon as the dividing point. And several others. Is there any amount of consensus on this issue? Because I feel like I haven't found two historians who actually agree with each other.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

galagazombie posted:

So Western Historiography generally unanimously agrees the deposing of Romulus Augustulus as the end of Antiquity/Ancient times, and the the Ottomans taking Constantinople as the end of Medieval Times.

Um. Does it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

galagazombie posted:

So Western Historiography generally unanimously agrees the deposing of Romulus Augustulus as the end of Antiquity/Ancient times, and the the Ottomans taking Constantinople as the end of Medieval Times. And yes I am aware that historians now all agree those dates are arbitrary and more for convenience than fact. But when does the Early Modern period end? I've seen three-way divisions where the early modern is up till Westphalia, Late Modern is up till WWI, and Contemporary is up till now. I've seen two-way divisions that use either the French Revolution or Napoleon as the dividing point. And several others. Is there any amount of consensus on this issue? Because I feel like I haven't found two historians who actually agree with each other.

All those divisions are completely arbitrary and are used simply for rhetorical purposes in constructing a narrative. They're going to change depending on the point of view of the writer and the idea or technology arc they're trying to describe.

There is no Official Authoritative Department of Assigning Dates to Historical Eras.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally far prefer 1492 as the medieval/early modern divider, over 1453. But I'm just an idiot on the internet

Dividing early modern from modern on the basis of wars feels off to me. The economic/technological changes between the 16th century and now far exceed the geopolitical differences. I'd aim for the industrial revolution being the divider, though I wouldn't care to hazard a specific date.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah none of those are really all that accepted in academia. However to engage the question, I've usually encountered the French Revolution as the early modern/modern divider. Either the beginning of it or Napoleon's final defeat.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Why? I still see Rome on maps, clearly Roman history isn't over. It can make a comeback

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The French Revolution is a political gamechanger in europe - both in geopolitics and how much shift there is in ideological underpinnings of states. It's alot easier to assign to an event than the industrial revolution - which happens but is much more of a slow gradual process spanning before, during, and after the Napoleonic Wars. Wars are only a shifter of eras when they represent a shifting of the ideologies of the states involved, rather than mere possession.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
1945 for the final defeat of the barbarian German tribes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Etymologically, the modern period has already started once the early modern has started (the early bit anyways).

The thing about these generally vague historical periods is that even though some people grab onto various delineations to define them, it really doesn't matter where anyone draws the line, so long as they're clear what they're talking about.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

It's also completely based on historiographical tradition, that's going to vary by country and language.

French speaking history departments are divided between antiquity, medieval, modern and contemporary sub departments, for example, and I was taught about those as the 4 subdivision of history in primary school.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

to elaborate, i think "post-napoleon" is much too early, the aftershocks of the french revolution were distinctly early modern in character and ultimately monarchism re-established a hold on france and its subsidiary republics. 1848 is when the wheels really start to come off of the old order

you're not going to convince me that simon bolivar lived in the "modern era" as opposed to the "early modern"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Let's just keep it simple and stick to when new metals are introduced.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The weird thing about the wars of south american independence is that it's after the American Revolution, but there's all these things with stone fortifications and cavalry that weren't really a factor during the American Revolution (I guess because the 13 colonies were poorer and less built up?), and those are things that I'm used to thinking of no longer being such a factor for the modern period.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The weird thing about the wars of south american independence is that it's after the American Revolution, but there's all these things with stone fortifications and cavalry that weren't really a factor during the American Revolution (I guess because the 13 colonies were poorer and less built up?), and those are things that I'm used to thinking of no longer being such a factor for the modern period.

well some of this was just lack of arms

the legions of hell were cowboy lance cavalry by and large for example. lance cavalry are quite common across the wars of south american independence actually - the complete lack of reliable supply lines for both royalist and patriot forces essentially meant that the fighting was done with the weapons that were already on the continent, which were surprisingly few.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So many eurocentric dates. Ancient history period would end with the fall of the Tang.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I personally far prefer 1492 as the medieval/early modern divider, over 1453. But I'm just an idiot on the internet

Dividing early modern from modern on the basis of wars feels off to me. The economic/technological changes between the 16th century and now far exceed the geopolitical differences. I'd aim for the industrial revolution being the divider, though I wouldn't care to hazard a specific date.

I'll be spicy and suggest 1517 as a dividing line as that's when you have the proximate cause for colonialism really kick in.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The modern period starts when firearms first arrive in Europe. Circa 1240

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

1054 Manzikert never forget.

:cry:

need a smiley like :911: that's a crying justinian mosaic. make it :1054:, :1204: and :1453:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

I'll be spicy and suggest 1517 as a dividing line as that's when you have the proximate cause for colonialism really kick in.

Do you mind clarifying that? I don't know exactly what you're referring to and I bet it's something super interesting

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Warhammer 40K does it right by having day 0 of their calendar be what we would term August 6th, 1945. That's as unambiguous a marker as you can get.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you mind clarifying that? I don't know exactly what you're referring to and I bet it's something super interesting

1517 is Martin Luther and his 95 theses, but I don't really see how that's a proximate cause for colonialism.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

1517 is Martin Luther and his 95 theses, but I don't really see how that's a proximate cause for colonialism.

One can argue Frederick the Wise has a lot to do with what leads to how we think of modern nation states.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Deteriorata posted:

IO'm guessing it has more to do with this: February 3 – Cairo is captured by the Ottoman Empire, and the Mamluk Sultanate falls.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Deteriorata posted:

All those divisions are completely arbitrary and are used simply for rhetorical purposes in constructing a narrative. They're going to change depending on the point of view of the writer and the idea or technology arc they're trying to describe.

There is no Official Authoritative Department of Assigning Dates to Historical Eras.

That's why I said "Arbitrary and more for convenience than fact". Just that Western Historiography loved those two dates as the dividing points. Even though that way of looking things is no longer taken as gospel by serious historians, it still holds massive weight, even unconsciously, on how people in the West view history.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anything where humans have fire is modern history imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GoutPatrol posted:

Anything where humans have fire is modern history imo

Given that fire predates writing this is a bad definition