Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

if every ship moves at the same speed in hyperspace, then charting a fast course must mean charting a short course, and people with a better computer or higher appetite for risk could make a shorter course that cuts closer to navigational hazards (planets, stars, etc)

This is the old Star Wars extended universe explanation of the parsec quote. It involves skirting close to some black holes I think. It's dumb as hell, but it precedes Disney by at the very least a decade.

Also, isn't 9 parsecs like no distance at all in interstellar terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A parsec is three and a bit light years, so nine parsecs is a mind-bogglingly vast distance that you can't even begin to comprehend, but that's just peanuts to space.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Assuming you're on earth (or Kessel I guess), how many solar systems can you reach? And what's the rate of class M planets or whatever non-trekkies call them?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BonHair posted:

Assuming you're on earth (or Kessel I guess), how many solar systems can you reach? And what's the rate of class M planets or whatever non-trekkies call them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_star_systems_within_25%9630_light-years (and the closer ones linked at the bottom) edit: actually just see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars_and_brown_dwarfs

It's actually just under 30 light years, but close enough.

They're not great holiday destinations.

90s Cringe Rock has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Oct 30, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BonHair posted:

The closest other galaxy to us is Andromeda, which is about 770,000 parsecs away. Space is big.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BonHair posted:

This is the old Star Wars extended universe explanation of the parsec quote. It involves skirting close to some black holes I think. It's dumb as hell, but it precedes Disney by at the very least a decade.

i remember a comic that explained it as some bullshit about rare birds on different moons rapidly orbiting a black hole, and somehow they lose value by the hour so a short course is important

......and then explained that Lando made the whole thing up to rip Han off.

so that's the explanation i prefer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter posted:

The closest other galaxy to us is Andromeda, which is about 770,000 parsecs away. Space is big.

And despite being that far from us, it stretches across a portion of the sky five times as wide as the Moon.

Galaxies big.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Outrail posted:

Buncha starlords itt

Spacelord, mother fucker

I'm making a reference and not calling you a mother fucker

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

e: Not correct.

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Oct 30, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's like a space nerd reunion ITT. :woop:

And for when this dies down, there are a couple of space threads that talk about this stuff all the time, both of which welcome newbies with questions!

Astronomy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317
Spaceflight: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

stolen from the worthless wikipedia thread in yospos:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

was the moon wet because it was crying until it got that apology? poor moon

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

it's this song what did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1Mzft8rLc

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't often crosspost stuff here from the maps thread but uh, this one, I just have to.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shifty Nipples posted:

Spacelord, mother fucker

I'm making a reference and not calling you a mother fucker

someone's on a real power trip

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Platystemon posted:

I liked the fan theory that Han Solo was hustling dumb moisture farmers.

The con man measures his mark so he can bilk them better.

Disney killed that theory, but gently caress Disney.

Alec Guinness was supposed to show disbelief but he under-acted his reaction so that it's really easy to interpret everything as him taking Han's BS as a straight answer.

Also the Expanded Universe long ago killed the theory before Disney ever had their mitts on the series. The Kessel Run involves smuggling stuff out of the Kessel cluster which is a cluster of black holes. Imperial pilots, being jobbers who like to continue living and collecting a paycheck and NOT flying into black holes, won't chase you if go to close. Basically Han Solo took a shorter path than anyone else to evade capture, and therefore was bragging about how stupidly lucky awesome of a pilot he was and how awesome his ship was.

Edit: I should really finish reading a thread to see how far behind I am in a discussion before I decide to jump in on my Classic Star Wars nerd trivia.

Doc Hawkins posted:

i remember a comic that explained it as some bullshit about rare birds on different moons rapidly orbiting a black hole, and somehow they lose value by the hour so a short course is important

......and then explained that Lando made the whole thing up to rip Han off.

so that's the explanation i prefer.

Fuckit, I might as well go full NEEEEERD now that I stepped on the trap of my own volition anyways.

One of the EU books explained that the Kessel mines had some crazy exotic crystal-spider species that made crystalline webs of what was no-poo poo called "Spice" that was basically psycho-active hyper-narcotics to any sentient species. The local Imperials really liked being in control of this market since the spiders lived nowhere else and it made a good prison planet to send people you want to work to death because the spiders could and would hunt, kill and eat assholes loving with their webworks. It was also at the center of a cluster of black-holes which made it an excellent super top-secret weapons testing range. Which is where the original Death Star prototype was made and kept.

Other weapons of mass destruction/idiocy that came out of the Kessel labs/system include:
-Massive automated mining machines that were sicced upon New Republic systems and their fleets to eat up asteroids and ships and spit out TIE-drones to defend themselves/kill more ships to eat.
-The Suncrusher which had a hull made of pure indestructible plot-tanium and fired a missile that made stars go supernova
-The weaponized stupidity that was everything surrounding the character Kyp Durran who is rescued from Kessel for being a helpful force-sensitive local that just wants to get the gently caress out of the hell-mines, becomes a jedi, finds out his brother (an Imperial pilot) was killed and his death covered up, steals the Suncrusher to blow up the entire loving system, later discovers there was no cover-up and his brother was alive and well until he blew up the entire star system, but because he's a jedi now he's allowed to just feel really bad about himself for BLOWING UP AN ENTIRE loving SOLAR SYSTEM AND EVERYONE IN IT before being accepted as a good guy again and becomes a successful ace jedi-fighter pilot of his own 13-man squadron called Kyp's Dozen.

Why yes, I'm totally fine with Disney erasing Kyp Durran. I'm glad you didn't ask but I'm telling you anyways.

Alkydere has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Memento posted:

someone's on a real power trip

I understood that reference :respek:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Alkydere posted:

:starwords:

What about the Death Star-class superlaser that the Hutts got a hold of and, when they turned it on, blew up on them?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TinTower posted:

What about the Death Star-class superlaser that the Hutts got a hold of and, when they turned it on, blew up on them?

Never read that series. I thought they built their superlaser themselves though.

Read a lot of the EU though and there are parts of it that I completely understand Disney wanting to throw into trash, then light on fire, then throw the ashes out to sea.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Alkydere posted:

Never read that series. I thought they built their superlaser themselves though.

Read a lot of the EU though and there are parts of it that I completely understand Disney wanting to throw into trash, then light on fire, then throw the ashes out to sea.

I think Disney's main motivation in throwing out the EU was to make it so they weren't beholden to the massive mess of continuity found in the EU. Most of the major characters of the original and prequel trilogies had had their lives outlined exhaustively by various EU works, so there was little room to write new stories featuring them, and having any kind of wiggle room with regard to wars or major political developments would have required going like 100 years before or 50 years after the events of the movies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Well, are they? After all, how many holes are there on a human? Because topologically a human is homeomorphic to a donut.

what kind of earless nostril-less freak are you?

Pakled posted:

I think Disney's main motivation in throwing out the EU was to make it so they weren't beholden to the massive mess of continuity found in the EU. Most of the major characters of the original and prequel trilogies had had their lives outlined exhaustively by various EU works, so there was little room to write new stories featuring them, and having any kind of wiggle room with regard to wars or major political developments would have required going like 100 years before or 50 years after the events of the movies.

And then they immediate include the worst parts of the stupidest EU series (the protagonist secretly being palpatine's grandchild), and not the fun parts (the father being a three-eyed mutant named Triclops who was deemed 'dangerously insane' by the empire because he was next in line for the throne and a devoted pacifist)

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Oct 31, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tunicate posted:

And then they immediate include the worst parts of the stupidest EU series (the protagonist secretly being palpatine's grandchild), and not the fun parts (the father being a three-eyed mutant named Triclops who was deemed 'dangerously insane' by the empire because he was next in line for the throne and a devoted pacifist)

If by "immediately" you mean "three mainline movies, two spin offs and 5 years later" then sure. I mean, I agree with your general point, Rise of Skywalker was a real bad movie (and I say that as someone who enjoyed the first two sequel movies), but its not like they went there in The Force Awakens.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

SiKboy posted:

If by "immediately" you mean "three mainline movies, two spin offs and 5 years later" then sure. I mean, I agree with your general point, Rise of Skywalker was a real bad movie (and I say that as someone who enjoyed the first two sequel movies), but its not like they went there in The Force Awakens.
For a series that's 40 years old, doing a full reset on the stupid parts and then getting right back there in 4 years is pretty immediate.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dylan16807 posted:

For a series that's 40 years old, doing a full reset on the stupid parts and then getting right back there in 4 years is pretty immediate.

But in the 4-5 years they produced 5 movies, almost equaling the number of movies in the previous 40 years combined. If someone said that the original trilogy immediately introduced ewoks, would you agree?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

SiKboy posted:

But in the 4-5 years they produced 5 movies, almost equaling the number of movies in the previous 40 years combined. If someone said that the original trilogy immediately introduced ewoks, would you agree?
Not if we were talking about just star wars, which hadn't existed before.

But if we were talking in the context of space opera in general, dating back to the 30s, I might say that the genre reached star wars and "immediately" spit out ewoks.

The bigger your time scale, the more you can lump together under a single "moment".

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

In the replies she points out that the total cases in Canada is the same as the death toll in the US lmao

Wonder why Canada's death rate is so much higher than the US's considering their numbers are better in everything else? Just strikes me as strange.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ranbo das posted:

Wonder why Canada's death rate is so much higher than the US's considering their numbers are better in everything else? Just strikes me as strange.

I haven't looked into that particular question, but generally it can be hard to compare even death rates between countries. It is the "most comparable" number but still not very comparable. In one country, a death is counted towards the statistic if a hospitalized patient dies within two weeks of being diagnosed with COVID-19. (Note that this does not generally include elderly patients who may not always be hospitalized but treated at their elderly care centers instead). In another country, it would be counted if a person dies for reasons directly attributable to COVID-19 infection, such as acute failure of the lungs (notably not including respiratory failure which is only more indirectly attributable to COVID-19). Etc, it goes on and on. Many countries have come under fire for massaging their numbers to look lower.

The single best measure is the rate of excess mortality, which should be immune to such manipulation, as long as a country is honestly reporting stats on deaths (for any reason). However, this number usually lags by weeks or even months and is less useful for visualizing the current spread of the virus or deciding local policies day-to-day.
https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Up here we've had a lot of covid outbreaks in long term senior care facilities. It's one of the most privatized sectors of Canadian healthcare, they're nearly unregulated, run on shoestrings, and the death toll in them has been brutal.

Whereas in the US I get the impression it's spreading more or less through the general population?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Up here we've had a lot of covid outbreaks in long term senior care facilities. It's one of the most privatized sectors of Canadian healthcare, they're nearly unregulated, run on shoestrings, and the death toll in them has been brutal.

Whereas in the US I get the impression it's spreading more or less through the general population?

It's hitting some groups much harder than others. Our senior care facilities are at least as bad as Canada's and the death toll there is similarly brutal.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PittTheElder posted:

Sounds like Canada will be in the position Sweden has been in, then. A huge excess mortality peak as the frailest 80+ crowd die off three months sooner than they would have, followed by an almost-equal dip in the following months when suddenly no one is dying because the most-frail are gone already.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

oh it is ALSO rampaging through senior long-term care facilities. It's not either/or.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The single best measure is the rate of excess mortality, which should be immune to such manipulation, as long as a country is honestly reporting stats on deaths (for any reason). However, this number usually lags by weeks or even months and is less useful for visualizing the current spread of the virus or deciding local policies day-to-day.

This is a good rear end tool. And yea RIP Canadian olds

dwarf74 posted:

oh it is ALSO rampaging through senior long-term care facilities. It's not either/or.

Oh for sure, it's just that the disease isn't as prevalent in the general Canadian population, so our overall case load is lower, which makes our death rate per capita higher the the US.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like Canada will be in the position Sweden has been in, then. A huge excess mortality peak as the frailest 80+ crowd die off three months sooner than they would have, followed by an almost-equal dip in the following months when suddenly no one is dying because the most-frail are gone already.

Well we did do a whole lockdown thing in the spring, which I gather is not what Sweden did. So there's probably a lot of differences in exposure, but I don't know enough about the Swedish approach, or for that matter any of Canada's outside Alberta; it should be noted that there is no one Canadian response to this, healthcare is a provincial responsibility and so every province has done something different. Often municipalities within the provinces have extra stuff going on as well (our mask bylaw is municipal thing for example).

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Nov 3, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Also Canadian. My mother's field is social work, and she's the coordinator of all the non-privatized long term care facilities in town. And she is so mad about the privatized ones right now. It's really easy to accidentally prod her into a rant about underpaid workers who are also being shuffled around between facilities regularly.

She's hoping for some long term reform from this. I hope she's right. But yeah, we already know there's not going to be a big family Christmas this year.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PittTheElder posted:

Oh for sure, it's just that the disease isn't as prevalent in the general Canadian population, so our overall case load is lower, which makes our death rate per capita higher the the US.
It's okay, multiple facebook commenters have told me that the virus will just disappear after the US election, so that's gotta be a huge relief.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Really? Oh, thats great to hear! Off to the restaurant tomorrow!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This is generally right, but be aware that covid hosed up the regular causes of dying, so there's a certain but of uncertainty. Both in terms of old people dying slightly earlier, but also stuff like less people getting regular flu because of WFH, less car accidents, more (?) suicides and a ton of other indirect effects. It might be "fun" to see the impact on deaths caused by smoking and lack of exercise in the long run...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I went to the chemist at the depths of winter during our second lockdown here (Victoria, Australia) to pick up a prescription. The lady I spoke to behind the perspex screen on the counter said that there had essentially not been a flu season this year. She was regularly fielding calls from the drug company reps like "so, uhh, how are you off for cold and flu tablets? Need anything? Anything at all?!?". Nope, sorry, literally don't need anything.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

I went to the chemist at the depths of winter during our second lockdown here (Victoria, Australia) to pick up a prescription. The lady I spoke to behind the perspex screen on the counter said that there had essentially not been a flu season this year. She was regularly fielding calls from the drug company reps like "so, uhh, how are you off for cold and flu tablets? Need anything? Anything at all?!?". Nope, sorry, literally don't need anything.

quote:

Data from Australia tell a remarkable tale. From May to mid-August of 2015-19, an average of 86,000 Australians tested positive for the flu each year, and around 130 died of it. This winter the government has registered only 627 influenza infections and just a single death.

And accompanying article + chart for more countries (possibly behind paywall)
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/09/12/the-southern-hemisphere-skipped-flu-season-in-2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was kinda expecting that. Flu, while having animal reservoirs, is almost entirely person to person.

Imagine if they could do regionally targeted flu shots and not have flu seasons ever anymore.