Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I have a garbage hot tub that has been broken since before I moved in and looks like its from the early 90s and it has a ball valve drain line that can connect to a garden hose. You'd still need a pump or preferably shop vac to get the last few gallons of water out of the bucket seats and from below the pump inlet drain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

From personal experience, a sump pump will drain a hot tub pretty quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We used a $50 emergency transfer pump from menards.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Used an old shop vac to get it started, just that for 10 seconds caused it to die. After that most of it siphoned out. It doesn't have a drain plug on it and yes that seems dumb but there we go. I ended up taking the sump pump I had in the basement that I totally forgot about out and using that since the whole tub needs a power wash in the spring before I fill it up again. Also had to throw some non toxic antifreeze down the filters so the water I couldn't get it in the pumps wouldn't freeze and break them over the winter.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just had some fun with a stuck fastener that I eventually drilled out. It was a pan head hex, but it was too big for my Alden Grabits to get purchase and turned into a huge pain in the butt to try and drill and dremel out. At one point I got the bright idea I’d try a oscillating multi tool, and popped in a brand new $20 titanium bi metal cutting bit to shear off the head, but only chowdered the drat thing instead, so that really sucked. Combination of Kroil to loosen and tap magic to help cut the fastener didn’t seem to do much either.

I was thinking something like a spline drive socket might have actually worked on it, but that’s a specialty tool I don’t have. Anyone have recommendations on extraction tools? I see Gearwrench has a bolt biter extraction socket set. I didn’t try the Kentucky blue wrench, but this probably would’ve been the right time to bust it out.

Unfortunately the head was too mangled to get an impact hex socket in. I just hate not having the right tools when I need it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any recommendations for LED work lights for cars (underside, wheel wells, engine bay - I've got good overhead lighting in the garage already)? I'm thinking one or two lights with some combination of ways to attach/point the light and possibly multiple brightness levels.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Any recommendations for LED work lights for cars (underside, wheel wells, engine bay - I've got good overhead lighting in the garage already)? I'm thinking one or two lights with some combination of ways to attach/point the light and possibly multiple brightness levels.

Krakkles posted:

I pondered this for awhile and ended up buying the Astro 65SL (link)

It’s bright as fuuuuuuck, the battery is decent, and it’s not using tool batteries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think with lights you'll always end up with a combination, a battery led flood, a something on a magnet, a pencil torch between the teeth, but looking at that ^^ I really want one

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

South Main Auto uses the Astro lights so I got one for my friend for xmas a couple of years ago (40SL). He likes it. I think harbor freight has a $10-15 knock off of it but bigclive did a teardown of both and found that it wasn't as well made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6_T5Eq8uk

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I always just keep an old petzl headlight in my tool bag. Multiple brightness, cheap, useful all over.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I always just keep an old petzl headlight in my tool bag. Multiple brightness, cheap, useful all over.

+1 for headlamps. Also LED work lights from whatever flavor of battery tools you have

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rexxed posted:

South Main Auto uses the Astro lights so I got one for my friend for xmas a couple of years ago (40SL). He likes it. I think harbor freight has a $10-15 knock off of it but bigclive did a teardown of both and found that it wasn't as well made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6_T5Eq8uk

I have the HF version. It gets the job done and the battery cap unthreads. You can swap 18650s instead of waiting for loving ever for it to recharge on the built in USB.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Should have mentioned that I have one of these which is great except sometimes my forehead isn't in line with what I need to see! Headlamp covers tons of use cases though.

I'll see about picking up an Astro thanks (might wait and see if black friday yields some deals in tools along with the light).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Should have mentioned that I have one of these which is great except sometimes my forehead isn't in line with what I need to see!

That's when you turn it into a chinlamp

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

That's when you turn it into a chinlamp

1. My hands are dirty
2. I need to buy more tools or tool adjacent items

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Build a Tron suit with El wire.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

1. My hands are dirty
2. I need to buy more tools or tool adjacent items

Fair enough, carry on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Build a Tron suit with El wire.

People have and it's s usually terrible.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have two of these and they're pretty dang great: https://www.nebotools.com/p/SLIM%2B/647 Real strong back magnet and bottom magnet, adjustable brightness, rechargeable

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought 3 of these for like $10 a pop. Works very well for what I paid for them, and getting multiple lamps = multiple angles = less shadows 'n poo poo. Swedish store so didn't link to them directly.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just had some fun with a stuck fastener that I eventually drilled out. It was a pan head hex, but it was too big for my Alden Grabits to get purchase and turned into a huge pain in the butt to try and drill and dremel out. At one point I got the bright idea I’d try a oscillating multi tool, and popped in a brand new $20 titanium bi metal cutting bit to shear off the head, but only chowdered the drat thing instead, so that really sucked. Combination of Kroil to loosen and tap magic to help cut the fastener didn’t seem to do much either.

I was thinking something like a spline drive socket might have actually worked on it, but that’s a specialty tool I don’t have. Anyone have recommendations on extraction tools? I see Gearwrench has a bolt biter extraction socket set. I didn’t try the Kentucky blue wrench, but this probably would’ve been the right time to bust it out.

Unfortunately the head was too mangled to get an impact hex socket in. I just hate not having the right tools when I need it.

Some left hand drills in sensible sizes are always good to have on hand.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

pazrs posted:

Some left hand drills in sensible sizes are always good to have on hand.

Thanks! I will track down up a set to add to the unfucker drawer.

Anything else y’all keep on hand for whenever you hit a boogered fastener? I’ve got the usual suspects-impact wrench and sockets, kroil/pb, alden grabits, dremel... and soon some left hand bits. Just looking for advice or suggestions of things that work for you guys

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

The WIHA Microbit set is on sale https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-75965-65-piece-microbit-ratchet-set/ along with some other nice stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Mitutoyo might be doing something on Amazon as well

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've been dragging my feet on buying Mitutoyo calipers for a while (specifically 500-197-30) but I don't want to deal with Amazon's counterfeit problems. globalindustrial.com has the ones I want for the same price as Amazon and they're on Mitutoyo's distributor list so I just bought from them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was just posting about this in a TFR thread but I would never buy anything "high end" from Amazon now. I can't remember what I was looking at but there was something that was ~$15 that still had counterfeit versions of it on Amazon, it's crazy.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah 100% don't buy nice metrology stuff on Amazon, if you need the accuracy or precision of nice measuring tools you don't want to get them from an uncertain supplier.

If you don't need nice tool things go hog wild but buy a cheap Chinese caliper instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I guess Amazon is the most beloved "tech" site and I don't get it as it's been terrible for years. I just use it for DVDs and comics these days.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Uthor posted:

I guess Amazon is the most beloved "tech" site and I don't get it as it's been terrible for years. I just use it for DVDs and comics these days.

lol at you complaining about tech and still buying DVDs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Weirdly, some manufactures or distributors sell via Amazon and charge less than buying directly, or give free prime shipping.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Jegs sells on Amazon and it is usually cheaper and faster delivery than their site.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

angryrobots posted:

Weirdly, some manufactures or distributors sell via Amazon and charge less than buying directly, or give free prime shipping.

Which forced me to decide if I wanted to pay more money to keep a dollar out of Amazon's hands.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Astonishing Wang posted:

Not everything is available for streaming.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

Hey, I got a Blu-ray player like three years ago!

I mostly buy physical media as I hate the idea of buying digital movies from a service that will eventually shut down. I'm okay with mp3s cause I can keep them in a local library.

I'm an old guy when it comes to media!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think amazon running the dc saves the other vendors money, even if they have their own less efficient dcs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

Which forced me to decide if I wanted to pay more money to keep a dollar out of Amazon's hands.

That's that invisible hand baby!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Finally got around to ordering the Milwaukee nut fucker 5000. 300 bucks plus gub'mint extortion fee. I'm most definitely looking forward to using it for some nut loving. Last time I had my car in to get a wheel bearing replaced I neglected to specify to the service advisor to have the tech use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I expect to have no troubles.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My trailer door hinge has a series of blind rivets holding the hinge to the door frame. On a gravel road the latch failed and the door was jostled and now some of the rivets are loose. I want to drill them out and install new ones. What riveting gun should I get?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

My trailer door hinge has a series of blind rivets holding the hinge to the door frame. On a gravel road the latch failed and the door was jostled and now some of the rivets are loose. I want to drill them out and install new ones. What riveting gun should I get?

Not the Harbor Freight one and definitely not the HF rivets.

My experience is that rivets aren't very common unless you have a great hardware store. Maybe order online. I like JayCee rivets.

Back to your situation, it's not likely the rivets bent back and became loose, my experience is that whatever the rivets clamped onto has now deformed. Theres going to be more than drill and rivet, hopefully you can get behind the rivet and add a washer or something to grab onto. Maybe a larger rivet. Maybe hammering back what's there but it's tough without a dolly behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Finally got around to ordering the Milwaukee nut fucker 5000. 300 bucks plus gub'mint extortion fee. I'm most definitely looking forward to using it for some nut loving. Last time I had my car in to get a wheel bearing replaced I neglected to specify to the service advisor to have the tech use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I expect to have no troubles.

100% worth the expense. I put one of my Honda’s out of commission for about a month thanks to my being broke and having only a breaker bar for crusty suspension work. Couple years later finally got a degree and a job and got an electric impact wrench. Haven’t looked back once.

Get some Astro Pneumatic Nano Impact Sockets once you’ve recovered from the wallet shock, and you’ll be set for all kinds of jobs.