Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1322486177321070592
Journalists get so loving salty when they're called out as government mouthpieces.

No, I don't think this news is the result of "journalists working hard to find out what's going on behind the scenes, battling to get confirmation and reporting the facts". I think one of the assholes at the meeting texted you, and you breathlessly rushed to print it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEd57FxI-FM&t=55s

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Schools contain children while the parents work.
I think it's even dumber than that, I think the 'we think we're middle class but we live in London and have media jobs' class don't actually want to have their children around. I think there's been zero irony in all the complaining about homeschooling and they now want the kids out from under their feet because they're sick of not being able to palm them off to the au pair / school.

Most of the tories are married to one of those people and they're the only people Sir Keith seems to listen to.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

Darkest Dungeon is under a fiver.
I loved this game at first, the flavour is great, but once you work out the trick for breaking it it just immediately stops being fun.

Iratus: Lord of the Dead is 40% off and the same basic mechanic but much better. Also you get to be an evil mastermind managing their horde of minions (I love that poo poo for some reason)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
when will they make a Lightest Dungeon. Light Souls. Nothing Among Us As We Work Together Constructively To Achieve Our Goals

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They did.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've been playing The XCom Files, which is an enormous modpack for the original Microprose version of XCom. You start 2 years before the alien invasion with two agents investigating cryptids and weird cults to try and figure out what's going on before the aliens arrive. I find it insanely addictive, but then XCom is probably my favourite game of all time and I grew up watching X-Files so I may be an outlier.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just Another of Us Part 2

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I was stopped at traffic lights outside a primary school the other day and the kids were out on their lunch and they were just running all around and pulling and hauling at each other and shoving each other and screaming like maniacs like normal lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

I loved this game at first, the flavour is great, but once you work out the trick for breaking it it just immediately stops being fun.

Iratus: Lord of the Dead is 40% off and the same basic mechanic but much better. Also you get to be an evil mastermind managing their horde of minions (I love that poo poo for some reason)

Iratus also takes an unseemly amount of time to play - runs are easily six hours long - and the response to that is to add another act on the new DLC. It's all the same poo poo over and over as well, just different enemies.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

I was stopped at traffic lights outside a primary school the other day and the kids were out on their lunch and they were just running all around and pulling and hauling at each other and shoving each other and screaming like maniacs like normal lol

It’s impossible to maintain any kind of distancing. My son’s school has created a bubble for each class, which I think is about the most one can do. But that doesn’t help much when there are siblings at the school in different bubbles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

"They didn't know I was only firing blanks"

(apologies to Emo Philips)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

It’s impossible to maintain any kind of distancing. My son’s school has created a bubble for each class, which I think is about the most one can do. But that doesn’t help much when there are siblings at the school in different bubbles.

The point isn't to stop transmission altogether, because that would be impossible *even if the schools were closed*. The point is to reduce the amount of opportunities to spread and hence the rate of infections. We could keep the schools open if we were willing and able to more properly lock down elsewhere and not, say, bribe people to go and eat in restaurants.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChristianJMay/status/1322489046573051905
Another "it's not client journalism, stop saying it is".

E: lol
https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1322513406235213824

Apparently multiple newspapers just figured out a lockdown was coming through HARD WORK, and JOURNALISM. Wasn't just somebody with the info texting their favourite tame journalists.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 31, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

bribe people to go and eat in restaurants.

I really hope this is looked back on as one of the most insane, shortsighted and awful policies in recent history. What a loving stupid idea it was.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The point isn't to stop transmission altogether, because that would be impossible *even if the schools were closed*. The point is to reduce the amount of opportunities to spread and hence the rate of infections. We could keep the schools open if we were willing and able to more properly lock down elsewhere and not, say, bribe people to go and eat in restaurants.

Oh sure, I completely agree. The policies re lockdown, eating out etc have been completely contradictory and illogical. We could also have more freedom if we had a proper, locally-based track and trace system.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Sorry if this is a daft question, but if Covid cases are so bad we need a nationwide lockdown, what's the point of the government delaying the start until Wednesday? Surely cases will only get worse in the meantime, ensuring that the lockdown will have to go on for longer? Why not just implement it as soon as possible?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

JustaDamnFool posted:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but if Covid cases are so bad we need a nationwide lockdown, what's the point of the government delaying the start until Wednesday? Surely cases will only get worse in the meantime, ensuring that the lockdown will have to go on for longer? Why not just implement it as soon as possible?

Practicalities of businesses having to organise close or reorganise any business or clients that were due from Wednesday onwards, avoid people fleeing to shops en masse to panic buy toilet roll like in March etc.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

stev posted:

I really hope this is looked back on as one of the most insane, shortsighted and awful policies in recent history. What a loving stupid idea it was.

This is true, however it did get me a cheap Wimpy in Dingwall.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weasling Weasel posted:

Practicalities of businesses having to organise close or reorganise any business or clients that were due from Wednesday onwards, avoid people fleeing to shops en masse to panic buy toilet roll like in March etc.

Panic buying didn’t happen in Wales when we went into lockdown again. I assume because no one actually cares. So toilet paper is ok but the spread continues. Contrasts.

Edit: that’s a weird sentence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just Another of Us Part 2
Warmpunk.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Because they couldn't be arsed to do it two weeks ago.

The entire of this pandemic response is to leave it past when it should be so that you have to have more advance warning and a longer lockdown.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Game suggestion for anyone looking for a cool UK-based sci-fi/crime mystery story, Get Even is £3.49 on Steam and set in the Birmingham area. I don't want to spoil anything but the story takes some cool twists and turns and also the soundtrack is genuinely loving brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuA97IWdOQ

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 31, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

now we are getting a Downing St press conference at 4pm today.
can only guess this is Monday's announcement being brought forward due to the leaks to this morning's papers.

itshappening.gif

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Great, time to start panic buying loving toilet paper and soup before everybody else does.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Sean Connery's dead btw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1322515886884966401

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

communism bitch posted:

Sean Connery's dead btw

Lucky oval office.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

Great, time to start panic buying loving toilet paper and soup before everybody else does.

For some reason B&Q in Leyton has huge stacks of 24-packs of Andrex - I suspect quite a lot of businesses have been stockpiling for just this eventuality. Would certainly explain why it seemed to take so long for supplies to stabilise first time round.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jabby posted:

Apparently multiple newspapers just figured out a lockdown was coming through HARD WORK, and JOURNALISM. Wasn't just somebody with the info texting their favourite tame journalists.
No, see, the real hard work of journalism comes earlier in laying the groundwork for these sorts of tips. There’s weeks, maybe even months, of gruelling expensive dinners and fancy hobnobbing drinks events to grind through before you even get a sniff at something like this. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of hard graft.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TACD posted:

No, see, the real hard work of journalism comes earlier in laying the groundwork for these sorts of tips. There’s weeks, maybe even months, of gruelling expensive dinners and fancy hobnobbing drinks events to grind through before you even get a sniff at something like this. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of hard graft.

This is the best reply:

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1322506963016683524
"No, you don't understand. The hard work is making politicians TRUST us, by writing what they want and spiking stories they don't like. But you're probably suspicious of a system where the people meant to hold power to account also suck up to the powerful to keep their jobs :rolleyes:"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Balletpunk

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Huh. I expected him to talk

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

:golfclap:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

biglads posted:

This is true, however it did get me a cheap Wimpy in Dingwall.

My plague-era thing is that whenever someone mentions a place now I have to go and take a nose around on Street View, I suppose to compensate for the fact I've not been further then 5 miles from my house since January, and I have to say Dingwall has got me baffled - it's either the nicest little town or the shittest village in the country.

Like it's got a proper high street with all the shops you're ever likely to need and only a few of the usual chains (but does have a Lidl, which I consider essential to life), but doesn't seem to have any kind of actual entertainment venue, only a couple of flat-roof pubs (spiritually, architecturally they've got normal roofs), no cinema, nothing that looks like it's open past sundown. At first I assumed it's like those south-coast towns where the average age is like 60 and everyone's skint, but it doesn't even have a bingo hall that I can see. It's trapped in a weird limbo where *almost* everything you're likely to want day-to-day is there but you still have to go miles down the road at least once a week.

So like I say it's either got the charms of a perfect little town (assuming you never want anything more than retail when you leave the house) or all the problems of a lovely village if you do want more than that, but presumably with town-sized cost-of-living.

In conclusion Dingwall is a land of contrasts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was just reminded on Twitter that he happily admitted to beating his wife on the regular. I think I suppressed that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

stev posted:

Was just reminded on Twitter that he happily admitted to beating his wife on the regular. I think I suppressed that.

Also had the gall to tell Scottish people that "Scotland going independent would be bad for people living in Scotland".

Meanwhile he hasn't lived there for 20 odd years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So Dirty Dommy Cum Cums leaked it to the press to get a backlash and the press are now all scrambling to say "UH NO WE DID A JOURNALISM" to protect their source.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My plague-era thing is that whenever someone mentions a place now I have to go and take a nose around on Street View, I suppose to compensate for the fact I've not been further then 5 miles from my house since January, and I have to say Dingwall has got me baffled - it's either the nicest little town or the shittest village in the country.

Like it's got a proper high street with all the shops you're ever likely to need and only a few of the usual chains (but does have a Lidl, which I consider essential to life), but doesn't seem to have any kind of actual entertainment venue, only a couple of flat-roof pubs (spiritually, architecturally they've got normal roofs), no cinema, nothing that looks like it's open past sundown. At first I assumed it's like those south-coast towns where the average age is like 60 and everyone's skint, but it doesn't even have a bingo hall that I can see. It's trapped in a weird limbo where *almost* everything you're likely to want day-to-day is there but you still have to go miles down the road at least once a week.

So like I say it's either got the charms of a perfect little town (assuming you never want anything more than retail when you leave the house) or all the problems of a lovely village if you do want more than that, but presumably with town-sized cost-of-living.

In conclusion Dingwall is a land of contrasts.

You might enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M46YAbaiUQ4

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

As the BBC tweet said, he was the the actor who defined James Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

So Dirty Dommy Cum Cums leaked it to the press to get a backlash and the press are now all scrambling to say "UH NO WE DID A JOURNALISM" to protect their source.

It does suggest it wasn't actually Cummings doing the leaking (ugh what a sentence) - the journos protesting aren't the ones normally used for this sort of trial balloon stuff (who know enough to keep shtum when the questions are asked of them).

I feel like there's probably a way to actually trace where leaks are coming from just by looking at which journos report on them, and when - I think we're all pretty confident that Kuensburg and Peston are in the Big Brain Cummings Whatsapp group, but I'm sure you could probably detect the pattern if, say, Sunak decides to play the "Sources close to..." game.