Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

i work pretty closely with parks, both personally and professionally, and I have to say that in my experiences the general staff/management are all fantastic people who do great work with the resources available to them. That said the senior management seems to be a prime case of people who have zero clue what, why, or how things happen below them in the org chart and consistently give contradictory orders to the staff like 'increase the summer program participation and revenue while we cut your budget and make it near impossible to even deliver programs let alone have them flourish'

I'm torn because I am a third party provider who stands to benefit greatly if they were to just completely pull out of providing programs and would cede the market to me. That said the city can provide said programs at an absolutely absurd rate (or free to end-user) due to internal subsidies/huge grant/funding opportunities- I could never offer programs at the rates they do without having to overhaul our organization to be more focused on finding 3rd party funds to underwrite. If they functionally 'privatize' program delivery it could price out a LOT of families that really depend on PP&R programs to keep their kids active and busy during the summer while they're out of school.

there's also the pesky issue of how P&R has a tendency to make decisions based on community feedback opportunities that are woefully inaccessible to the working class. I've served on parks advisory councils that are full of relatively wealthy people whose main concerns are 'crime prevention' and 'will this make my property taxes go up' and seemingly have zero concern for the greater good. It's all "give me another tennis court that can only be utilized by up to four people at a time maximum, if people wanted anything else they should make the time and effort to attend these in-person meetings that are not published or promoted in any substantial way" and it's depressing.

Oh my God it’s like you’ve been listening to our meetings. Thank you so much for this, I really feel seen and validated. I keep yelling that our swim lessons should be free but everyone says I’m crazy because they’re our biggest money maker, like we’re here to make money. There’s water everywhere and if you don’t know how to swim your chances of death go up an unacceptable amount; it shouldn’t be a privilege for the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Crumbskull posted:

As someone who works closelt with Dept. Of Commerce, Secretary if States office, Econonic Development agenices like SBA etc: thats literally every arm of state government lol.

I remember last year after we got a 1 million dollar appropriation to fund what we do (convert mobile home parks into co-ops owned by the residents) a DoC guy was stonewalling and dragging his feet on the program and so I had to work my way up the chain of command demanding someone do what the legislature said they should be doing and eventually realised I had gone TOO FAR and reached a level where they just had no loving idea what their agency actually did or how it worked and had to work my way back down to actually get results lmao.

That is extremely depressing, thanks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My dad used to be an ops manager on the port of Seattle and would meet with the port commissioners, all the people that run for that position are just trying to get their name in politics so they can run for something better. The port commissioner job is extremely easy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This whole story is terrible, but I had to do a triple take when I saw the way Oregonian formatted it on their website.

The three stories that look like sub-headlines are actually unrelated other stories.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Its supremely easy AND mostly involves inking leasing contracts and stuff which is a great way to give and earn favors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Crumbskull posted:

I think about this all the time because I literally live in the Port of Olympia and the people that do it now are morons.

It’s all business types that are looking to springboard it to other positions not people who actually have any real knowledge.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

seiferguy posted:

My dad used to be an ops manager on the port of Seattle and would meet with the port commissioners, all the people that run for that position are just trying to get their name in politics so they can run for something better. The port commissioner job is extremely easy.

Yeah pretty sure I’d make them poo poo their pants. Somebody with relevant knowledge, education who knows the all waterfronts from Bellingham out to Aberdeen and would want to make serious changes would not be what they were used to.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Port of Seattle commissioners aren't too bad now. Labor unions are really interested in organizing workers at the airport and drivers taking trucks in and out of the port, and the commission oversees all that, so labor spends a decent amount of money in the port races here and has taken out all the really bad guys from it. Not that they're perfect but it's not like they were 10 years ago. I think most other port commissions don't get the same attention and have a lot more lame business guys on them.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah pretty sure I’d make them poo poo their pants. Somebody with relevant knowledge, education who knows the all waterfronts from Bellingham out to Aberdeen and would want to make serious changes would not be what they were used to.

I’m pretty sure they keep the salary low to keep their chances of dealing with somebody who knows stuff to a minimum.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

tk posted:

I’m pretty sure they keep the salary low to keep their chances of dealing with somebody who knows stuff to a minimum.

I’m a idealistic freak who accepted a low salary for almost fifteen years because what I was doing (SOLAS stuff) benefited the world in a way I found meaningful.

How low is low? Just looked it up.

gently caress me that’s nonviable :(

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah there was a todo about that I think some time back when Gregoire got the gig.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well the vigil for Kevin Peterson in Vancouver was hit by Patriot Prayer tonight. Literally. In trucks.

https://twitter.com/LCRWnews/status/1322376659865989120

Meanwhile the cops are mass arresting protesters elsewhere and are nowhere to be seen when the chuds start hitting mourners with cars and bear macing the crowd.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Well the vigil for Kevin Peterson in Vancouver was hit by Patriot Prayer tonight. Literally. In trucks.

https://twitter.com/LCRWnews/status/1322376659865989120

Meanwhile the cops are mass arresting protesters elsewhere and are nowhere to be seen when the chuds start hitting mourners with cars and bear macing the crowd.

And Andy Ngo is tweeting up a storm about it. I really want him to die.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

And Andy Ngo is tweeting up a storm about it. I really want him to die.

Andy Ngo is really one of the most vile people I can think of. I had to break off a friendship with a guy I went to elementary school with because he kept sending me Andy Ngo poo poo and calling me a liar despite the fact that I’m a drat Portland resident who on occasion has been physically there why the gently caress are you sending me this terrible poo poo acting like it’s more reliable than what I’m telling you.

This Kevin Peterson poo poo is so depressing and heartbreaking. The cops already lying their asses off and the fact that he was on the phone with his girlfriend when they shot him and then they just hung up on her. Feel terrible for her she had to experience that moment.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/S_Haddy_PDX/status/1322442254913470466

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

The Oldest Man posted:

Tangent - It's helpful to remember this kind of poo poo when people are handwringing over PP affiliated individuals experiencing forms of retribution outside the law. You don't have to participate, but truly the absolute least you can do is shut the gently caress up about it. They 100% deserve whatever makes its way back to them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

jkyuusai posted:

Tangent - It's helpful to remember this kind of poo poo when people are handwringing over PP affiliated individuals experiencing forms of retribution outside the law. You don't have to participate, but truly the absolute least you can do is shut the gently caress up about it. They 100% deserve whatever makes its way back to them.

Uh... political violence is bad even if it's against bad people. Contributing to a climate where extrajudicial violence is considered normal is extremely dangerous and erodes civil society. You might think it's gonna be Antifa super soldiers hunting Nazis but the reality is far more grim and it ends in unrelated parties being murdered daily in generational cycles of guerrilla violence. Also right wingers will have FAR more ability and support to engage in this sort of violence so it's not really a can of worms you want to open.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

therobit posted:

Uh... political violence is bad even if it's against bad people. Contributing to a climate where extrajudicial violence is considered normal is extremely dangerous and erodes civil society. You might think it's gonna be Antifa super soldiers hunting Nazis but the reality is far more grim and it ends in unrelated parties being murdered daily in generational cycles of guerrilla violence. Also right wingers will have FAR more ability and support to engage in this sort of violence so it's not really a can of worms you want to open.

I have to ask - what makes you think the can of worms is closed?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Corbeau posted:

I have to ask - what makes you think the can of worms is closed?

Because most people still realize that this type of reciprocal violence is abhorrent and a bad idea. If you start convincing people that vigilante violence is cool and good very bad things will happen.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

The bad kind of political violence is already happening in the streets, extrajudicial murders are why we are out here. Metaphors are nice and all but you aren't acknowledging the reality on the ground.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
CHUDs tried to run a Biden campaign bus off the road in Texas. Bad things have been here for a while. There is a possibility they go outright widespread violent after the election instead of the targeted at protestors violent.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Like even the NYTs is saying that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

The can's open and we're talking about people defending themselves from being murdered right now. "Political violence is bad" is some big-brain bothsidesism when applied to people being threatened, injured, or killed by far right death squad wannabes. This isn't going to go away because you're staring at a wall and humming loudly.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is a possibility they go outright widespread violent after the election instead of the targeted at protestors violent.

They just attacked mourners at a vigil for a dead man.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 31, 2020

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

therobit posted:

Judicial violence is already being committed by far right wingers. They simply wear a badge. Calling it "guerilla" or "vigilante" violence doesnt mean that it was not a form of self defense against a system that is already hurting people. Your imaginary civil society is only being eroded because you are afraid you might actually be affected.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, you remember how vietnam totally reconciled populist nationalism with foreign imperial exploitation and the bootlickers who profited from it and how that reconciliation came about through an appeal to decorum and a balance and exchange of interests and not total war?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

The can's open and we're talking about people defending themselves from being murdered right now. "Political violence is bad" is some big-brain bothsidesism when applied to people being threatened, injured, or killed by far right death squad wannabes. This isn't going to go away because you're staring at a wall and humming loudly.

Self defense is fine. Seeking out a fight isn't. Yes, I expect good people to hold themselves to a higher standard than the subhuman slime that makes up groups like Patriot Prayer.

And I don't think you have any idea what it really looks like when this type of violence becomes normal. It's not Columbia or Northern Ireland out there. Participating in political violence legitimizes it in the eyes of the public and lowers the bar to what qualifies as a good reason to kill someone.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

They just attacked mourners at a vigil for a dead man.

gently caress.

They’re trying to start a civil war. I don’t think it’s going to work. But it’s still going to be very bad and it’s a long time until January.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Bar Ran Dun posted:

CHUDs tried to run a Biden campaign bus off the road in Texas. Bad things have been here for a while. There is a possibility they go outright widespread violent after the election instead of the targeted at protestors violent.

If antifa ran a Trump bus off the road we would be cheering. Game gotta respect game.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

therobit posted:

It's not Columbia or Northern Ireland out there.

I’d call openly drilling fascists pretty bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

gently caress.

They’re trying to start a civil war. I don’t think it’s going to work. But it’s still going to be very bad and it’s a long time until January.

It's an even longer time until January 2025.

Assuming we even bother to hold elections in 2024.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

Self defense is fine. Seeking out a fight isn't.

Fight's here. These groups have declared openly that they will use violence to purge the country of undesirables, whether that's at the hands of lawful authorities that they control (when convenient) or at the hands of unlawful paramilitaries when lawful authority will not go far enough. Anything done to stop them is self defense. Pretending otherwise is turning a blind eye to an incipient fascist pogrom.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Fight's here. These groups have declared openly that they will use violence to purge the country of undesirables, whether that's at the hands of lawful authorities that they control (when convenient) or at the hands of unlawful paramilitaries when lawful authority will not go far enough. Anything done to stop them is self defense. Pretending otherwise is turning a blind eye to an incipient fascist pogrom.

This mentality is exactly the type of thinking that could plunge us into a civil war. "Anything we do to stop them is legitimate" is also what those morons are saying right now, and that's how you get cycles of reciprocal violence that last for generations. Civil war is a terrible idea so long as political options still exist.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Might as well give up then

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

This mentality is exactly the type of thinking that could plunge us into a civil war. "Anything we do to stop them is legitimate" is also what those morons are saying right now, and that's how you get cycles of reciprocal violence that last for generations. Civil war is a terrible idea so long as political options still exist.

Yes, much better to just have fully unidirectional violence that leaves you personally untouched since you're not on the kill list.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

https://twitter.com/RoseCityAntifa/status/1322478013980663808?s=20

Now, wouldn't want to suggest anyone START a growing wave of political violence. That would be silly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

It's important to remember that no matter what they do, we never, ever do anything that violates decorum.

Sure, they may kill people, commit war crimes, whatever, but the most vital thing is that we never be indecorous. Eventually, our total passivity will force them to give up. It's worked so far!

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Right-wing domestic terrorists have clearly shown they have zero problem with violence, but I think we’re verging on some mind-boggling scenarios in which they have the collective foresight and organizational skills to coordinate a national civil war type scenario.

Yes, I agree, there will probably be sporadic right-wing incidents of violence if Trump loses on Tuesday. That said, I think folks are buying more into their bark than their bite if they believe there’s going to be a civil war type of scenario.

Remember the guy hiding under the tarp at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge? As long as Trump loses, that’s how this poo poo will end for most of those fuckers. Cowering with their lube drums and dildos and guns hiding under loving tarps.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
therobit quoted my post but it seems like they didn't read it

jkyuusai posted:

You don't have to participate, but truly the absolute least you can do is shut the gently caress up about it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Isn't therobit a gimmick poster anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

generic one posted:

Right-wing domestic terrorists have clearly shown they have zero problem with violence, but I think we’re verging on some mind-boggling scenarios in which they have the collective foresight and organizational skills to coordinate a national civil war type scenario.

Yes, I agree, there will probably be sporadic right-wing incidents of violence if Trump loses on Tuesday. That said, I think folks are buying more into their bark than their bite if they believe there’s going to be a civil war type of scenario.

Remember the guy hiding under the tarp at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge? As long as Trump loses, that’s how this poo poo will end for most of those fuckers. Cowering with their lube drums and dildos and guns hiding under loving tarps.
They're already prepping to throw the election to Trump. Democrats are voting mail-in in droves, and they've hosed the postal service, and have put in place a Supreme Court that will more than happily throw out all ballots received after election day in most swing states. The Democrats are going to be left with the options of go along with it, or risk starting a civil war themselves, and I think we all know how that's going to go.