Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's more of a living history fun fact (from wow). Worshipping a virtual god on your computer is no less valid than leaving out food for house gnomes, etc. Sorry if it was inappropriate for the thread. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was going to suggest one of the Asian religions. I know both the Japanese and Chinese tales are lousy with minor gods in one form or another

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doverhog posted:

It's more of a living history fun fact (from wow). Worshipping a virtual god on your computer is no less valid than leaving out food for house gnomes, etc. Sorry if it was inappropriate for the thread. :shrug:

This is how we get the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean we've already strapped a knife to a Roomba, that is at least half of the way there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Josef bugman posted:

I mean we've already strapped a knife to a Roomba, that is at least half of the way there.
Janimari Damacy

KataJani Damacy

Katamari Janicy

One of those should work.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that one was the god of three-way intersections, hence the 'tri', weirdly enough.

Tri via, three roads.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Byzantine posted:

Tri via, three roads.

whence trivia coming to mean "public space" > "commonplace" > "trivial"

a later folk etymology posited that there were public billboards at the 3-road intersections with useful info for passers-by, but that's an invention.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In Sweden and Finland, elementary school used to be called "trivialskola" (1600s-1905), where you learned the three roads to knowledge: grammar, dialectics, and rhetoric.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

I've always wondered that what is the god of the most insignificant thing. Like is there a god of buttonholes or god of pocket lint?

Cardea was goddess of door hinges.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Alhazred posted:

Cardea was goddess of door hinges.

and Cardeb was goddess of damp passages

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Barry Foster posted:

well played

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

FreudianSlippers posted:

There was also a lot more gods than just the big shots in the pantheon. Basically every town had a god as did each specific neighborhood, and every household* and the fields and the roads etc. etc.

Romans couldn't get enough of gods.

They were god crazy.

Gagging for gods if you will.

*though that was more like ancestor worship since it was more of a family god than specifically bound to a particular building.

There's like four of these posts. Dude knows poo poo about Roman gods:

https://acoup.blog/2019/11/15/collections-practical-polytheism-part-iv-little-gods-and-big-people/

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Discworld novel series always make fun of this. It has a Goddess of Things That Get Stuck In Drawers.

Anoia.

Barry Foster posted:

:drat:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Scimitar is actually of Irish origin

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The Trivium was essentially the arts branch of Roman education, consisting of grammar, logic, and rhetoric.

The technical side, the Quadrivium, was arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music because music was an outgrowth of maths.

The terms do derive from three/four roads, though.

'Trivial' in modern usage stems from the historical denigration of arts in favour of STEM I guess.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ArcMage posted:

The Trivium was essentially the arts branch of Roman education, consisting of grammar, logic, and rhetoric.

The technical side, the Quadrivium, was arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music because music was an outgrowth of maths.

The terms do derive from three/four roads, though.

'Trivial' in modern usage stems from the historical denigration of arts in favour of STEM I guess.

The trivial pursuit of the arts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Barry Foster posted:

Danke.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barry Foster posted:

:golfclap:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

doverhog posted:

There is the god of trash, Jani. He is still worshipped.

The Turks were always wondering why the infidels kept laughing at their elite troops

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Turks were always wondering why the infidels kept laughing at their elite troops

It wasn't the giant spoons?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I just learned the ancient Greeks had no less than five different gods whose only purpose was to gently caress up your pottery.

Here's one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Here's one

Zelda :swoon:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone know the giant manor built by some british guy who let it fall into disrepair and eventually ruin? It had huge doors and I think he had short people open the doors to make them even more imposing. I think he just lived in the basement or something? I've asked this elsewhere but damned if I know where or even when

vv: thank you yes

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Oct 28, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone know the giant manor built by some british guy who let it fall into disrepair and eventually ruin? It had huge doors and I think he had short people open the doors to make them even more imposing. I think he just lived in the basement or something? I've asked this elsewhere but damned if I know where or even when

Do you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonthill_Abbey ?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Brief History of the Fork in Europe:
In 1004 Maria Argyropoulina creates a scandal when she uses a fork. When she died of the plague in 1007 it was generally agreed upon that it was God's just punishment for being too vain to use your fingers when eating.
Using a fork when eating is still frowned upon in 1533 when Catherine de' Medici brings her forks to France after marrying Henry Henry II of France. Then the fork slowly becomes more accepted. In 1621 Christian IV of Denmark-Norway proudly writes in his journal that he bought a fork from a frenchman. That's not to say that the fork was completely accepted in France. In 1605 Thomas Artus wrote a book called "L'Isle des Hermaphrodites" which made fun of the court of Henry III of France where one of the unmanly things they did was to eat with a fork. In 1608 a former court jester called Thomas Coryate begins to try and make the use of forks more widespread. Because of this his friends begins to call him "Furcifer". Finally in 1633 the fork lost it's stigma when Charles II of England declared that using a fork was to be considered decent.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Oct 29, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

A Brief History of the Fork in Europe:
In 1004 Maria Argyropoulina creates a scandal when she uses a fork. When she died of the plague1007 it was generally agreed upon that it was God's just punishment for being too vain to use your fingers when eating.
Using a fork when eating is still frowned upon in 1533 when Catherine de' Medici brings her forks to France after marrying Henry Henry II of France. Then the fork slowly becomes more accepted. In 1621 Christian IV of Denmark-Norway proudly writes in his journal that he bought a fork from a frenchman. That's not to say that the fork was completely accepted in France. In 1605 Thomas Artus wrote a book called "L'Isle des Hermaphrodites" which made fun of the court of Henry III of France where one of the unmanly things they did was to eat with a fork. In 1608 a former court jester called Thomas Coryate begins to try and make the use of forks more widespread. Because of this his friends begins to call him "Furcifer". Finally in 1633 the fork lost it's stigma when Charles II of England declared that using a fork was to be considered decent.

We had a fork in 1562 :finland: Thanks, Katarina Jagellonica; Thatarina Thagellonica.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

Finally in 1633 the fork lost it's stigma when Charles II of England declared that using a fork was to be considered decent.

One wouldn’t expect that that particular monarch’s decrees would be well‐heeded.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Platystemon posted:

One wouldn’t expect that that particular monarch’s decrees would be well‐heeded.

Where do you think the phrase ‘Stick a fork in him, he’s done’ originated then?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Platystemon posted:

Reading his Wikipedia page, he doesn't seem all that bad, and was kind of well-regarded in his time (apart from trying to make peace between Catholics and Protestants); is there something the article does not mention?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CommissarMega posted:

trying to make peace between Catholics and Protestants
Well, there's your problem.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They might be confusing him for his dad Charles 1.0 who got his head cut off for mouthing off to parliament. Then Charles 2 Electric Boogaloo took over for a couple of years before being forced into exile and spending the next few years bumming around Europe with his entourage mooching of his relatives until the monarchy was restored.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Random thought I just had, I'm kinda surprised that with how long they were in use that no one ever used a catapult as a method of execution

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nobody wants to be the one to go get them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Random thought I just had, I'm kinda surprised that with how long they were in use that no one ever used a catapult as a method of execution

When you're besieging a castle or town, you don't waste a wind-up on just yeeting Shiddicus Fardicus for using the general's favourite goose to wipe. When you're not besieging a castle or town, you don't have catapults around.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Who was that one king who refused to accept a town's surrender until he got to try out his new trebuchet? I wanna say he even name it God's Own Sling. I feel like that guy probably had a few people hurled a couple thousand feet

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh weird. I grew up (and my parents still live) less than 10 miles from that. Didn't know all that stuff.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Not really related to anything but execution methods, but I just remembered an account of a Soviet officer I read who was part of the Red Army forces approaching Berlin. Apparently a couple hours to the east of Berlin they suddenly saw a lone German soldier appear on a hilltop in front of them. They were about to open fire, when the officer realised that something was amiss and ordered them to stand down. The German guy just stood there, unarmed, for hours without moving at all, until he drew back at nightfall. The Soviets reckoned that for whatever reason he was supposed to get shot by them on orders of his CO - execution by proxy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

verbal enema posted:

Who was that one king who refused to accept a town's surrender until he got to try out his new trebuchet? I wanna say he even name it God's Own Sling. I feel like that guy probably had a few people hurled a couple thousand feet

That was King Edward, in the war against William Wallace. The trebuchet, War Wolf, was the largest ever built and he refused to accept the Scottish surrender until he had demolished the wall of their castle.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

That was King Edward, in the war against William Wallace. The trebuchet, War Wolf, was the largest ever built and he refused to accept the Scottish surrender until he had demolished the wall of their castle.

Well, that’s also simultaneously a pragmatic choice. History is littered with examples of grumpy sovereigns pulling down the walls of their subjects’ castles and cities, so that they couldn’t just declare rebellion again 5 minutes after their overlord left.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When you're besieging a castle or town, you don't waste a wind-up on just yeeting Shiddicus Fardicus for using the general's favourite goose to wipe. When you're not besieging a castle or town, you don't have catapults around.

I swear I've read that siege equipment was used to throw death people over the walls to attempt to infect the defenders with disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I swear I've read that siege equipment was used to throw death people over the walls to attempt to infect the defenders with disease.

You read correctly! Although in the case I found it was actually those committing the siege being devastated by the plague and thus having to abandon their efforts - but not before hurling some diseased corpses into the city on their way out.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/8/9/01-0536_article

quote:

The dying Tartars, stunned and stupefied by the immensity of the disaster brought about by the disease, and realizing that they had no hope of escape, lost interest in the siege. But they ordered corpses to be placed in catapults and lobbed into the city in the hope that the intolerable stench would kill everyone inside. What seemed like mountains of dead were thrown into the city, and the Christians could not hide or flee or escape from them, although they dumped as many of the bodies as they could in the sea. And soon the rotting corpses tainted the air and poisoned the water supply, and the stench was so overwhelming that hardly one in several thousand was in a position to flee the remains of the Tartar army. Moreover one infected man could carry the poison to others, and infect people and places with the disease by look alone. No one knew, or could discover, a means of defense.