Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
pwn synths

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

A MIRACLE posted:

They’re in stock at Sweetwater

I heard that if you say "Sweetwater" in the mirror three times, a sales rep appears behind you to enthusiastically ask you about your gear situation and all the music you're not actually making.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mister Speaker posted:

I heard that if you say "Sweetwater" in the mirror three times, a sales rep appears behind you to enthusiastically ask you about your gear situation and all the music you're not actually making.

Haha. I'm happier buying from them than Amazon at least. Now if I could get them to import MFB stuff...

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone have experience with the Polivoks? Been thinking about picking one up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha. I'm happier buying from them than Amazon at least.

:yossame:

The fact that they just offer free shipping that is pretty quick is fuckin awesome.

Their sales reps are really hit or miss tough, I miss the one I spoke with been when I lived in Chicago.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Smarties > Sales rep emails
Fireballs > Physical catalogs

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Zzounds owns

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Also any further thoughts on pairing the afterneath with the subharm? The cv on the v3 seems like it adds a lot of value..

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How does everyone handle their start/stops and resets with euro? I can never get everything to line up on downbeats, especially slow LFOs. Pamela's seems to be the only real tool at the moment.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

magiccarpet posted:

How does everyone handle their start/stops and resets with euro? I can never get everything to line up on downbeats, especially slow LFOs. Pamela's seems to be the only real tool at the moment.

The Erica synth Drum Sequencer is my main sequencer/clock source. It has a reset output. My other sequencers (René 2 and Mimetic Digitalis) are driven by the Drum seq and have reset inputs, and so do my LFO (zone BF and Batumi).

I'm not familiar with other sequencers but I think there are a lot of options in Eurorack to deal with start/stop and resets. I think even my tempi can be started/stopped and reset but it's not the module I master the most of the bunch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

I usually use a master clock multed to all sequencers and a clock divided reset multed to all reset ins, if I'm doing standard 4/4 stuff. Sometimes I'll use a pp/brains t-gate in/t-clk out to reset everything on the next gate high. Some modules reset on the next clock rising edge after the reset trig while others consider the current clock high the downbeat. This can cause two sequencers to desync depending on what it considers the downbeat after a reset.

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
Got a Soma Ornament 8 recently, here's a video I made sequencing the Lyra 8 and Microfreak with it. Nonlinear sequencing is pretty confusing and chaotic but fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYEqeMzOwA

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

toadee posted:

The only thing that sounds like Acid is the Roland 4-pole filters in the TB-303 and SH-101/MC-202 (and possibly System 100/m).

For some reason people think Acid is this broad range of sounds, anything can be Acid, if you just envelope modulate the cutoff on an 18 or 24db filter with the Resonance high but not self oscillating, you're making "Acid" sounds. You aren't.

Like the song says, Acid is "Tee Bee Three Oh Three Romance". Really nothing else to it, nothing else qualifies. If you want to make Acid, get a 101, 202, 303, or one of the good copies thereof. Nothing else works, nothing else sounds like Acid, you aren't making Acid.

If you want to make other stuff that isn't Acid, go hog wild!

ill call it whatever i want and you'll like it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

crimedog posted:

pwn synths

pnw synths

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

PWM on synths, or Nick Batt doesn't approve.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Finally got my neutron yesterday, still loving around with it and learning about the patch bay but here's a little jam with the neutron and the volca drum (drum compression and reverb added in reaper). The patch is pretty straight forward with the sample and hold modulating osc1 shape and the lfo speed, but sounds pretty cool I think. Still can't get any cymbal sounds I love out of the volca.

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/neutron1/s-U3hTgolqfTQ

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Been a minute, lol. I am as dead and gay as these very forums, yet I am posting still.

magiccarpet posted:

Dense logic modules are your friend in these cases. ANDs will make any LFO stay in time, you can fake a RUN with them, you can fake a stage/step reset with a flip-flop on whatever is faking RUN.
New Pam does have extreme value especially with some of the very recent features. It has a god drat quantizer and basic sequencing now, ridiculous. The original is fantastic and cheaper if you don't need those.
If I'm working with something that has that kind of need, I run DIN24 sync from the A4 for clock+run/stop and have a master reset button to move everybody to 1st stage/step.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hey, question. Can anyone identify what the synth/keys and patch this might be. Its a huge sounding thing but Im baffled as to what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ47K6GjYJM

Specifically starting at 3:00

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I bought a Digitone and don't know how to loving use it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

rtfm

if it has a new user setup guide, follow all the tutorials.

sequencers tend to have a bunch of features that you will never use and the ones that aren't used will vary user by user. be totally satisfied in learning how to do, like, one or two things a day. after a month you'll be a pro and still be able to look at the thing and be like, dang I still don't know what half the buttons do, cool that means I have a virtually endless fount of stuff to learn and figure out.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

rtfm

if it has a new user setup guide, follow all the tutorials.

sequencers tend to have a bunch of features that you will never use and the ones that aren't used will vary user by user. be totally satisfied in learning how to do, like, one or two things a day. after a month you'll be a pro and still be able to look at the thing and be like, dang I still don't know what half the buttons do, cool that means I have a virtually endless fount of stuff to learn and figure out.

Yea that's pretty badass to have a large feature set. My idea of a setup will be Digitone DX7 MegaFM, then I guess a Digitakt for (sampled) FM drums. Could get a VolcaFM I guess too since it's only $150. But I haven't even figured out the basics yet, so I guess that's number 1 priority.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Cheese Thief posted:

I bought a Digitone and don't know how to loving use it.

I picked one up last month, and have been slowly figuring it out. The manual is excellent, and definitely a good place to start. I've been getting a lot out of youtube tutorial videos also.

This lengthy tutorial by Cuckoo also helped a lot, particularly after I had read the manual once. This Loopop review and explanation of FM synthesis was also handy. Red Means Recording also has a lot of good tutorial videos, and the one linked here seemed like a good place to begin with those. Finally, this guy named Ivar Tryti has some really great videos on youtube where he walks you through particular Digitone techniques in great detail, like making a full drum pattern on one track through various tricks with trigs, tutorials on leads and pads and on creating drum sounds. Tryti's videos in particular have been really interesting in terms of figuring out things to do with triggers and effects that I wouldn't have come up with just from reading the manual, and he explains those techniques very clearly.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

anyone here an ios superpro? i need a lightning 3.5mm splitter dongle so i can midi keyboard in, synth app audio out to mixer. there’s tons of cheap ones on amazon but they’re marketed specifically for charging, which means there’s a good chance they won’t have the lightning pins needed for midi.

and yes i am fully aware that my old android phone was usb-c plug and play with a 3.5mm jack, but it doesn’t have Moog apps so

edit,
I found this, looks like it ticks all the boxes, hopefully it's not the kind of offbrand that falls apart immediately
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z61HMCG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23KOF0PZ0IYGF&psc=1

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 4, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Which SID chips should i buy, the 6581 or 8580?
I need two to put into one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdpeAMEyqMA

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

be super wary of non functional knockoffs and pulled chips

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

Which SID chips should i buy, the 6581 or 8580?
I need two to put into one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdpeAMEyqMA

If you're willing to explore alternatives, check out the SwinSID. I've been happy with a SwinSID in my Sid Guts Deluxe https://busycircuits.com/alm012/

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Chainclaw posted:

If you're willing to explore alternatives, check out the SwinSID. I've been happy with a SwinSID in my Sid Guts Deluxe https://busycircuits.com/alm012/

Cool, the Twisted Electronics synth I'm looking at will fit SwinSID, I'd never heard of it. It's supposed to be better than the original? Not sure where I'd find one. Not really ready to jump into the eurorack clubhouse, but it does look really cool. You can post a picture of your setup if you want.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Put a new faceplate from graydon audio on my neutron today (the quality is pretty bad to be honest, hoping I just got a dud - I'll be emailing them about it) but there is no denying this looks much better than the original cheesy red!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bees x1000 posted:

anyone here an ios superpro? i need a lightning 3.5mm splitter dongle so i can midi keyboard in, synth app audio out to mixer. there’s tons of cheap ones on amazon but they’re marketed specifically for charging, which means there’s a good chance they won’t have the lightning pins needed for midi.

and yes i am fully aware that my old android phone was usb-c plug and play with a 3.5mm jack, but it doesn’t have Moog apps so

edit,
I found this, looks like it ticks all the boxes, hopefully it's not the kind of offbrand that falls apart immediately
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z61HMCG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23KOF0PZ0IYGF&psc=1

The official Apple camera connection kit, with usb and lightning bolt (just for charging while you use it), plays audio both ways and midi both ways to everything I’ve used it with, which is admittedly just my model: Samples, the Digitakt and my Steinberg interface and e-mu midi controller. Obviously doesn’t send audio to the midi controller, but yeah I can play synth apps with AUM and send 8 MIDI tracks to it sequenced on the Digitakt or whatever and then have them play through the Digitakt so I can hear it through it’s headphone jack and also record it simultaneously on the iPhone/iPad. It also works with a v cheap MIDI hub, but whatever gear you’re using has to have class compliant USB, like the Elektron boxes do, but even then, it seems to work with everything I’ve tried it with. If not, I know it might be a pain, but you can plug in an interface and whatever else you want to use, and it’ll still least send MIDI to a synth or MIDI from iOS to an app, etc. it seems, like it also worked with the Deepmind 12.

I don’t know about that one in the Amazon link, but you shouldn’t need the 3.5 mm output.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Imhotep posted:

The official Apple camera connection kit, with usb and lightning bolt (just for charging while you use it), plays audio both ways and midi both ways to everything I’ve used it with, which is admittedly just my model: Samples, the Digitakt and my Steinberg interface and e-mu midi controller. Obviously doesn’t send audio to the midi controller, but yeah I can play synth apps with AUM and send 8 MIDI tracks to it sequenced on the Digitakt or whatever and then have them play through the Digitakt so I can hear it through it’s headphone jack and also record it simultaneously on the iPhone/iPad. It also works with a v cheap MIDI hub, but whatever gear you’re using has to have class compliant USB, like the Elektron boxes do, but even then, it seems to work with everything I’ve tried it with. If not, I know it might be a pain, but you can plug in an interface and whatever else you want to use, and it’ll still least send MIDI to a synth or MIDI from iOS to an app, etc. it seems, like it also worked with the Deepmind 12.

I don’t know about that one in the Amazon link, but you shouldn’t need the 3.5 mm output.

It works with my soundcraft and I get all 12/14 channels

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

field balm posted:

Put a new faceplate from graydon audio on my neutron today (the quality is pretty bad to be honest, hoping I just got a dud - I'll be emailing them about it) but there is no denying this looks much better than the original cheesy red!

I agree that it looks better, but where is the quality issue? Printing? Thickness? It's hard to tell from the pic.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Imhotep posted:

I need the 3.5mm out because i don’t want to buy another interface, and because i do want to route the ios audio through pedals and a mixer. fingers crossed, i found an efficient solution.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

Cool, the Twisted Electronics synth I'm looking at will fit SwinSID, I'd never heard of it. It's supposed to be better than the original? Not sure where I'd find one. Not really ready to jump into the eurorack clubhouse, but it does look really cool. You can post a picture of your setup if you want.

I think the SwinSID is more meant to be sustainable than better. People gutting old Commodore 64s for the SID chips became a sour spot for retro computer collectors, the SwinSID sounds good enough and you're not neutering an old computer to use it. Depending on the ebb and flow of the market, there are times a SwinSID is much cheaper, too. I also recommend checking with whoever you're buying it from, it might come shipped with a SwinSID already on board and save you cash.

Here's my Eurorack setup.

I'm currently shopping for a good permanent enclosure. I've got a bunch of modules not on the rack right now, I ran out of space. I'm thinking around 800 HP should keep me good for years. With this setup now I've added maybe 2-3 modules a year, and they have all been gifts from other people.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 4, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

I think the SwinSID is more meant to be sustainable than better. People gutting old Commodore 64s for the SID chips became a sour spot for retro computer collectors, the SwinSID sounds good enough and you're not neutering an old computer to use it. Depending on the ebb and flow of the market, there are times a SwinSID is much cheaper, too. I also recommend checking with whoever you're buying it from, it might come shipped with a SwinSID already on board and save you cash.

Here's my Eurorack setup.

I'm currently shopping for a good permanent enclosure. I've got a bunch of modules not on the rack right now, I ran out of space. I'm thinking around 800 HP should keep me good for years. With this setup now I've added maybe 2-3 modules a year, and they have all been gifts from other people.

tag yourself, I'm the Steel Battalion controller in the corner

Kidding aside, that looks like a fun load of gear. My brain can't quite compute the idea of getting modules as a gift though, most people in my life are a little afraid/suspicious of my knobs-and-cable hobbies

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i’m going to assume you’ve hacked the virtual boy to somehow interface with your modular. ruin your eyes and ears at the same time

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is that a fuckin Virtual Boy in that photo?!

Efb, should refresh before posting!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

I'm currently shopping for a good permanent enclosure.

MockingQuantum posted:

the Steel Battalion controller

quote:

Steel Battalion controller
I have an idea

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

broke: gutting a c64 for a sid chip
woke: gutting a sidstation for a sid chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

i’m going to assume you’ve hacked the virtual boy to somehow interface with your modular. ruin your eyes and ears at the same time

No, but one of my side projects I've barely touched this year is hooking my Magic Leap up to my OP-Z. The OP-Z and Magic Leap both work with the Unity game engine, so I can make a game that you play by making music on the OP-Z and having the game react to that.