Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Interesting that they introduce Silver Faced Mechon and then right away reveal that it's Fiora's body on the inside, but they just kinda tease who Metal Face (the big antagonist so far) is on the inside.

Similarly, it's kinda interesting that Metal Face was completely silent during the attack on Colony 6, but hasn't shut the gently caress up since. I guess they didn't want to risk people figuring it out too quickly?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It also helps keep up the whole "are they just monsters?" mystery bit going. It's effective enough, and the decision to let him ham it up later is excellent.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
It's also possible that the faced mechon CAN'T talk for a while after they're activated, like they have to remember how to do it, and slowly other details of their lives start coming back as well. Metal face might be the oldest faced mechon, so he remembers more then any other, but he was only activated before the attack on colony 6, hence the silence at the time.

The reason I'm thinking this, is cause MF was the only face pressent during the attack on C6, while xord attacked C9. Then later on we see more and more of the Xord face types, all of which are mute, which suggests that quiet a few of the people who were taken from the colonies were used to make faces, just like Fiora was. But since they're so new, they haven't figured out speech yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's just good natural story progression. Metal Face shows up and utterly wipes poo poo out and is just a silent monster that the Monado has no effect on. Xord shows up and ups the ante and shocks everyone by suddenly talking. Once that reveal is dropped, Metal Face is free to start yakking and never shut up. Then Face Nemesis shows up confirms that the Faces are mechanized Homs, AND that she's Fiora. So each reveal builds on the next one precipitously, slowly filling in the holes in the story of the Mechon.

Narratively speaking Xenoblade is probably one of the tightest and most properly functioning games Monolith has ever put out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xenoblade follows anime rules, of course.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aaaaa I love this whole bit. :allears: It's so great.

I also love what a smug douche Alvis is. He's great too.

The whole game is great.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
When I said earlier that Fiora was going to come back as The Big Bad Mastermind later on as a Top Ten Anime Betrayal I wasn't being serious game! :argh:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

nine-gear crow posted:

Narratively speaking Xenoblade is probably one of the tightest and most properly functioning games Monolith has ever put out.

I prefer 2's gameplay but narratively there's no contest. Rex is idiot shonen hero, model 33B, while Shulk?
Shulk spends the first few hours of the plot as this delightful ball of rage, and the the voice acting really sells it (see last update for the latest example).
The rage abated somewhat while we were gathering the party but it's clearly still there. Then surprise motherfucker, Soylent Faces are people and the silver one is your girlfriend, what you gonna do?

Slaan posted:

When I said earlier that Fiora was going to come back as The Big Bad Mastermind later on as a Top Ten Anime Betrayal I wasn't being serious game! :argh:

:allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Omobono posted:

I prefer 2's gameplay but narratively there's no contest. Rex is idiot shonen hero, model 33B, while Shulk?
Shulk spends the first few hours of the plot as this delightful ball of rage, and the the voice acting really sells it (see last update for the latest example).
The rage abated somewhat while we were gathering the party but it's clearly still there. Then surprise motherfucker, Soylent Faces are people and the silver one is your girlfriend, what you gonna do?

I've been replaying 2 over the past month or so and I think I've come around on Rex? I'm currently playing the DLC for the first time between chapters 7 and 8 but his arc wasn't nearly as unremarkable as I remembered it being. That'll have to be a discussion for another time though, we're nowhere near done with 1. :v:

Slaan posted:

:allears: I'm so happy at least one person came into this thread blind.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I see we've arrived at the "poo poo got real" episode. :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Xenoblade follows anime rules, of course.

So God is real, evil, and will be a boss fight?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

White Coke posted:

I think you got even the order correct.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

White Coke posted:

I mean, it is a Xeno game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Sandman posted:

I mean, it is a Xeno game JRPG.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well in DQ7 you fight god but its a friendly spar and hes not evil.

But this is a xeno game so malicious theology will happen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragon Quest is generally the exception to the JRPG rule that God is evil and must be killed. Even the church is usually beneficent (some assclowns in 8's church excepted).

And 7 had Orgodemir pretend to be the Almighty so it kinda fits anyways.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

While the actual church might be benevolent, there's usually also an evil cult or something that worships a dark god.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

OutofSight posted:

I think you got even the order correct.

I've never played a JRPG, except Pokemon if that counts, but there's a formula that's easy to pick up on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ahahahahaha the falling stars again. :allears:

How many times is that now?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It find it amusing that Sharla seems to be the only person in the party who has tact/understands how feelings and emotions work. I'm surprised she doesn't have a permanent handprint on her forehead from all the facepalming.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Prowler posted:

I'm surprised she doesn't have a permanent handprint on her forehead from all the facepalming.

Or has to use Ether to deal with her constant headaches.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Riki is clearly Jughead, Reyn is Reggie but incompetent instead of evil.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

White Coke posted:

Riki is clearly Jughead, Reyn is Reggie but incompetent instead of evil.

Reyn is extremely competent at his job.
Job description does not include thinking though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Omobono posted:

Reyn is extremely competent at his job.
Job description does not include thinking though.

I suppose Reggie is good at football after all. I was thinking about him pushing the button in the tomb, but aside from that has Reyn done anything else that's really harmed the group?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

White Coke posted:

I suppose Reggie is good at football after all. I was thinking about him pushing the button in the tomb, but aside from that has Reyn done anything else that's really harmed the group?

Can only of think of him grabbing the Monado at the beginning of the game off the top of my head.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn is a competent friend. :unsmith:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sally posted:

Reyn is a competent friend. :unsmith:

I was wrong. They're both Jughead or rather half of him. Reyn is the loyal friend, while Riki has the insatiable hunger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Prowler posted:

It find it amusing that Sharla seems to be the only person in the party who has tact/understands how feelings and emotions work. I'm surprised she doesn't have a permanent handprint on her forehead from all the facepalming.

Riki knows emotion, its just that Nopon can only feel various shades of "hunger" and "spite."

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That's not true!
Riki's also been scared plenty of times.

Cowardice is a storied trait among Nopon.

:P

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Riki is Jughead, Reyn is Moose.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I never got that staff for Melia. I am slightly annoyed.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I never got that staff for Melia. I am slightly annoyed.

Is there not a similarly good staff you can grab from the High Entia Tomb in one of the hidden rooms? Granted, I'm also annoyed regardless.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Prowler posted:

Is there not a similarly good staff you can grab from the High Entia Tomb in one of the hidden rooms? Granted, I'm also annoyed regardless.

Oh I'm sure there is. I definitely have a staff with three slots for Melia, and that's all she cares about. I'm just annoyed I missed that one. Didn't even know it was a THING and it's an appropriate thing for Melia to have!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Riki is from a different comic entirely. He's Dagwood, from Blondie.

Also my guess is there aren't actually any sick Nopon in Alcamoth, just High Entia doing lines of crushed red pollen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn is sweet bro and hella jeff

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Reyn is sweet bro and hella jeff

:sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
In video #27 at 24:43, apparently Melia is 88 years old?