Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

The best jrpg is tecmo secret of the stars because it stopped so many kids from ever trying another jrpg

Don't know anything about this game but I'm digging the cover art's weird outsider art sort of vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Super Smash Bros is the best jrpg

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Moon Monster posted:

Don't know anything about this game but I'm digging the cover art's weird outsider art sort of vibe

That is some fantastic art ngl

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really hits home they’re children for sure.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Moon Monster posted:

poo poo is this the same guy who did suikoden 1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love when cover art has one character who is a completely different aesthetic from the rest of them, and in this case it looks like the aesthetic the artist was actually comfortable with.

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, that's clearly the other video game cover art tradition of tracing posters for Hollywood movies.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The White Dragon posted:

im fu man tarantino

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPossum posted:

im fu man tarantino

Foot Man Chu?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DrPossum posted:

im fu man tarantino

He practices black magic so he's technically allowed to say *that* word.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blueshirt posted:

Foot Man Chu?

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
dude on the middle left looks like ripped Dan Aykroyd

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been playing death stranding, and it's not good. The core wobbly balance beam gameplay is poo poo, and the game has really failed to sell me on why america should be saved at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The White Dragon posted:

I still absolutely do not have any idea who any of these characters are except Barbarossa.

Is that shirtless black haired dad supposed to be Ted? The red-haired teenager wearing sensible, layered clothing?

Is that woman casting lightning magic in the bustier with the black hair supposed to be Jeane?

Maybe Luc in the top right?

Who are these people?!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

is pikmin 3 any good

what are the pikmin games even like

why is there not a remaster/sequel to elebits

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

is pikmin 3 any good

Pikmin 3 is good, but I feel like it was the weakest of the Pikmin games (2 was the best). There's a part something like 2/3s of the way through the story where Louie steals all of your fruit juice that some people really freaked out about even though it doesn't actually matter at all.

It's hard to describe the actual Pikmin-y gameplay aside from "it's like Pikmin". Some people call it an RTS but I feel like that's a bad descriptor, even if it checks all the boxes it plays almost nothing like an actual RTS. It's mainly an exploration, environmental puzzle solving, and gathering sort of game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poverty goat posted:

I've been playing death stranding, and it's not good. The core wobbly balance beam gameplay is poo poo, and the game has really failed to sell me on why america should be saved at all.

Solidly unpopular opinion, gj

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I had a game as a kid called Beyond the Beyond that I tried to start like 5 times and never got out of the first dungeon.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Cosmetic stuff is by definition optional but there should be a menu option to disable that stuff completely. I'm playing Trials Rising and just want to ride a motorbike vroom vroom and not spend any time learning about all the hats and halloween hats that i have earned after every drat track.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the business structure of your average f2p game, the game itself is advertisement for the hats. so you will never get to disable the hats, its like asking to disable ads on shovelware free games wo money

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the business structure of your average f2p game, the game itself is advertisement for the hats. so you will never get to disable the hats, its like asking to disable ads on shovelware free games wo money

So just charge for the option to turn it off, duh

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Then give me one hat for taste and charge me if i want more but stop giving me free hats!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Icochet posted:

Then give me one hat for taste and charge me if i want more but stop giving me free hats!

You seem to think that video games about doing things that the player would enjoy. I do not think you "get" the modern games industry.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Worst thing is I play it with my kid and he's like "let's put the mean face helmet on, dad!!" and i'm like

First of all it's a samurai helmet and second it's only good for protecting against katana attacks and not motorcycle collisions. No hats!!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

poverty goat posted:

Real Talk: The fact you don't hear about this game anymore screams to me just how bad it was to its hardcore cult Kojima fanbase (silence means they hate it but dare not insult Kojima-san).

Mark my words: This is the beginning of no more editorial oversight on Kojima and now he's going the same direction other auteurs with no oversight suffer from (weird projects nobody knows how to take in with feature creep and ridiculously long development cycles).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Death Stranding was a cool idea and had some cool mechanics. Honestly I'm fine with it because if it was anyone else that budget would've turned into a triple A call of duty knockoff or some poo poo, and we don't need that anyways

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Play posted:

Death Stranding was a cool idea and had some cool mechanics. Honestly I'm fine with it because if it was anyone else that budget would've turned into a triple A call of duty knockoff or some poo poo, and we don't need that anyways
without the celebrity cameos it's a $20 indie game everyone buys for $10 on sale

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not a kojima fanboy (i havent played most of his earlier games) but i love death stranding. i love the landscape, the music, and yes even the gameplay i found appealing and kind of relaxing

(and you dont have to spend as much time worrying about wobbling and falling over once you are driving the bikes and trucks)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've been through two or three scenes already where I slowly walk down a valley while moody adult contemporary music plays and if that was what I was after I'd just watch the extended cut of lord of the rings

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
no matter how intensely boring a videogame is there will always be goons who post about how it's "relaxing"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

without the celebrity cameos it's a $20 indie game everyone buys for $10 on sale

not sure what indie games you're playing that have graphics like that my man

regardless I happened to get it for free, and I agree with you in the sense that I wouldn't want to pay much more than 20 bucks for it.

I guess I would classify it as an exploration/travel sim. Just like Euro Truck Simulator or Railway Empire it's not going to resonate with anyone.

Play fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 31, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My unpopular opinion is that I'm gonna play World of Horror again tonight since it got a season update. Hope I can grab the pumpkin mask.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Moon Monster posted:

Pikmin 3 is good, but I feel like it was the weakest of the Pikmin games (2 was the best). There's a part something like 2/3s of the way through the story where Louie steals all of your fruit juice that some people really freaked out about even though it doesn't actually matter at all.

It's hard to describe the actual Pikmin-y gameplay aside from "it's like Pikmin". Some people call it an RTS but I feel like that's a bad descriptor, even if it checks all the boxes it plays almost nothing like an actual RTS. It's mainly an exploration, environmental puzzle solving, and gathering sort of game.

It's a time management game that doesn't use microtransactions

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

abigserve posted:

no matter how intensely boring a videogame is there will always be goons who post about how it's "relaxing"

i was looking for unpopular opinions but i guess i wandered into the True Facts Thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pikmin games are somewhat similar to the Overlord Games, but honestly they're a very niche product. The core of the game is manipulating your pile of Pikmin who have some unique talents to navigate levels, fight monsters and gather food and objects while under a time limit. As you progress you get the ability to manage where groups of pikmin go in a stage and what kind of Pikmin you have access to letting you further optimize your rotations and accomplish more goals.

It is also really, really easy on the normal difficulty but simultaneously a game where you don't have such fine tooth control that Id recommend playing on a higher difficulty because then you're just butting heads with the games controls.

Further, the game over, restart the last day if you run out of food is really, really stupid because it took me about 12 days to beat the game and 20 days to beat the game 100% and their are about 100 days worth of food in the game so it only exists to give you meaningless existential pressure.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Real Talk: The fact you don't hear about this game anymore screams to me just how bad it was to its hardcore cult Kojima fanbase (silence means they hate it but dare not insult Kojima-san).

Mark my words: This is the beginning of no more editorial oversight on Kojima and now he's going the same direction other auteurs with no oversight suffer from (weird projects nobody knows how to take in with feature creep and ridiculously long development cycles).

I never got Death Stranding because it sounded kinda dumb as hell, but didn't it sell pretty well and get a ton of great reviews?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Pikmin games are somewhat similar to the Overlord Games, but honestly they're a very niche product. The core of the game is manipulating your pile of Pikmin who have some unique talents to navigate levels, fight monsters and gather food and objects while under a time limit. As you progress you get the ability to manage where groups of pikmin go in a stage and what kind of Pikmin you have access to letting you further optimize your rotations and accomplish more goals.

It is also really, really easy on the normal difficulty but simultaneously a game where you don't have such fine tooth control that Id recommend playing on a higher difficulty because then you're just butting heads with the games controls.

Further, the game over, restart the last day if you run out of food is really, really stupid because it took me about 12 days to beat the game and 20 days to beat the game 100% and their are about 100 days worth of food in the game so it only exists to give you meaningless existential pressure.

If you think about it, Death Stranding is really just Pikmin with a fresh coat of paint

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

food court bailiff posted:

is pikmin 3 any good

The Elebits sequel was on DS.

It was a weird as heck top-down Zelda-style adventure game that was nothing like the original game. It was...okay, but definitely not what I (or anyone, I'd imagine) wanted in an Elebits sequel.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Death Stranding is/was awesome. It's a huge game with a lot of quests content laid out in a unique way. I did have some issues with it, like the boss fights dragging on a bit too long. Before I played it this year I was into Euro Truck Simulator for a bit, and was digging that but wished there was a bit more action in it - Kojima to the rescue.

Speaking of Kojima and overrated games though, I'm of the opinion that the Last of Us was totally overrated. It was okay, I didn't hate it, but if you compare it to Metal Gear Solid 4 (both are character driven 3rd person stealth/action games) it seems lacking. MGS4 is better in basically every way, but came out on the same system 5 years earlier. It's basically been forgotten, even though it has IMO the best boss fights in the series.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The last time the Nintendo console wasn't the worst choice (including Sega and PC) was the SNES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Doctor J Off posted:

Before I played it this year I was into Euro Truck Simulator for a bit, and was digging that but wished there was a bit more action in it - Kojima to the rescue.

yeah thats what i like about it as well its euro truck simulator type of game except with a plot and actors etc and i hope its a genre that continues to grow