Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Eeepies posted:

I'm trying to remember an old-school JRPG. The game started with a powerful female party remember that is uncontrollable, but then she loses all her power and joins your team. You can control your own character and other teammates, but she remains uncontrollable almost till the end until she exits your party (if I recall correctly). I think she had blue hair and that she came from the moon or something, but that might be inaccurate.

Danganronpa V3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How is Danganronpa a JRPG?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Galick posted:

That's absolutely Lunar: Eternal Blue! That would be Lucia, who is effectively the herald of the goddess and due to reasons, the acting goddess now. She's actually uncontrollable for the entire game, funnily enough, but it works out well because she can react to things that happen the turn they happen which is nice. I'm so glad that someone else remembers one of my favorite games :neckbeard:

I played it back in the day and had an absolute blast, made it all the way to the final boss, got my rear end kicked six different ways, put the game down for a while because I didn't want to go back and grind just then, and then my PSX memory card died and took my save files with it. :negative:

I've never gone back to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...! posted:

Danganronpa V3

Lol

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Lunar Eternal Blue was correct, thanks! I did laugh at Danganronpa V3 though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
PSone game where you are on a space station orbiting the Sun. Never played the full game, but the demo let you talk to people and you could make them upset with you and they looked like angry potatoes. First person view, but slow and adventure like rather a shooter.

Megadrive /genesis game that was the first non platformer/brawler/racer I recall playing. Was either an RPG or a strategy game with a medieval setting. Art seemed western. I remember getting stuck on a screen where a king in a red and yellow tunic asked me to do stuff. It felt very sophisticated and beyond kid me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

PSone game where you are on a space station orbiting the Sun. Never played the full game, but the demo let you talk to people and you could make them upset with you and they looked like angry potatoes. First person view, but slow and adventure like rather a shooter.

Megadrive /genesis game that was the first non platformer/brawler/racer I recall playing. Was either an RPG or a strategy game with a medieval setting. Art seemed western. I remember getting stuck on a screen where a king in a red and yellow tunic asked me to do stuff. It felt very sophisticated and beyond kid me.

The first one is Sentient.

Second maybe Sword of Vermilion or Phantasy Star 3. Not a lot of RPGs on genesis.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo I played an arcade game about 30 years ago, holy poo poo I'm old, anyway it was a top down shooter. You played as a little army marine looking fella, the first level was some kinda grey industrial zone with big worm monsters everyplace. Also there was a jump button. Holy gently caress this is a vague description.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

al-azad posted:

The first one is Sentient.

Second maybe Sword of Vermilion or Phantasy Star 3. Not a lot of RPGs on genesis.

Definite yes for the first one. The second is super vague, but in terms of style it felt more like a Euro Amiga game ported to the Megadrive or something. In fact, looking for EA Megadrive games (since I associate EA of that time period being big into slightly grown-up Amiga ports) makes me 80% sure its Centurion: Defender of Rome.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blueshirt posted:

Yo I played an arcade game about 30 years ago, holy poo poo I'm old, anyway it was a top down shooter. You played as a little army marine looking fella, the first level was some kinda grey industrial zone with big worm monsters everyplace. Also there was a jump button. Holy gently caress this is a vague description.

Until you said "jump button," I was thinking Alien Syndrome, but idk what it could be.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Blueshirt posted:

Commando

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Blueshirt posted:

This could actually be the second stage of Contra III: grey, top-down, big worm monsters, and IIRC you can jump in the top-down stages.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not in Contra 3, the jump button makes you lie down to avoid projectiles in the top down stages

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blueshirt posted:

Search and Destroy? It doesn’t have a jump button but it has a dodge roll

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to remember a game that had several NPCs that said some quote that was like "Confound it! Where did I put that lever?" I'm pretty sure it was an action role playing game like Diablo.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Blueshirt posted:

You remember how big the player sprite was in relation to the screen?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that had several NPCs that said some quote that was like "Confound it! Where did I put that lever?" I'm pretty sure it was an action role playing game like Diablo.

Super Mario Bros.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

seiferguy posted:

Baldur’s Gate 1 had a lot of NPCs who repeated the same line over and over again. Maybe it was in that game?

Most notoriously an area with bandits who all go “so I kicked him in the head ‘til he was dead, nyahaha!” when they see you.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 1, 2020

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

...! posted:

Super Mario Bros.

This would work better if you said Return Fire every time

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Hal Incandenza posted:

This would work better if you said Return Fire every time

I'm pretty sure it was actually Castle of the Winds

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mierenneuker posted:

Baldur’s Gate 1 had a lot of NPCs who repeated the same line over and over again. Maybe it was in that game?

Most notoriously an area with bandits who all go “so I kicked him in the head ‘til he was dead, nyahaha!” when they see you.

Nah, it wasn't Baldur's Gate, I've never played that series before. I'll say, the game is most likely a lot newer than Diablo 1/2, but it just feels like that style of game.

Edit: it was ledger, not lever. The game is Everquest 2!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 2, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Nah, it wasn't Baldur's Gate, I've never played that series before. I'll say, the game is most likely a lot newer than Diablo 1/2, but it just feels like that style of game.

Edit: it was ledger, not lever. The game is Everquest 2!

Are you sure it's not Super Mario Bros.? It feels right for some reason. :thunk:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I had a disc that came with my Dreamcast that had a collection of older games on it. I know for certain that it had Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Phantasy Star 2 on it. I think it had a Virtua Cop game as well (definitely a lightgun game anyway). There were I think 5 other games on the thing, maybe 6, and I can't remember what they were. Does this sound familiar?

I'm pretty sure it was some kind of official anthology, not a collection of pirated games.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Sega smash pack?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's it! Thank you!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Dreamcast Smash Pack had really bad sound emulation so go with a different sega compilation if you're looking for one. I think the PC version's the only other one that has Virtua Cop.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blueshirt posted:

It's might be SAR: Search and Rescue. Lots of xenomorph/worm/body horror kinda creatures with a heavy industrial look and you do have a diving dodge move, you play as sci-fi soldier dudes, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1lus0ZIQo

Most important thing about the game is how some of the tracks wouldn't be out of place on a Black Sabbath album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYyk93Huio

Also from your description another game from around-ish then, Desert Breaker, comes to mind, no giant worms though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBa80P3Kd4E

Battle Ranger (we got this on the Turbo Grafx-16 as Bloody Wolf) would be exactly it except that there's no giant worms in it

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
Long shot as possibly an obscure system, but that will give less choice in what it could be perhaps?...

Link 480z educationalish game at primary school in the mid to late 80s, you had to make a castle or base or something and I think it got attacked and you saw how well your choices worked to defend it. Maybe could have moats and fences and stuff?

Single screen game as far as I remember.

Thinking about it it could have been on the BBC B but I don't think my school had any of those...

Have tried searching for images etc but nothing looks right and it's difficult to search with such a vague memory of it!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gonna take another shot at asking this.

There was a goon run game l, I think it was in GBS, or possibly Games. This was probably like ~10 years ago.

It was a giant map of the world, broken up into a ton of territories. Like RISK, but with many more smaller territories. Goons could claim one territory each, and then the gameplay went turn by turn. You could choose to do a bunch of things each turn, like attack, upgrade tech, upgrade resource farms (I think?), etc.
It was very detailed.

There were alliances made and broken, etc.

I’m not sure if it was a one time thing or if it ran annually.

It was really cool, anyone know what I’m talking about?

I’m pretty sure the goon who ran it kept track of all the stats and made a custom picture with updated territories and such all on his own. I don’t think it was an actual game hosted somewhere that he used, but I could be wrong.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Around 2009 it was a DS game. It was about playing different genres of video games in the 80s/90s. The lead characters were Japanese but the game was in English. There were definitely Final Fantasy and Super Mario inspired levels.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Beerdeer posted:

Around 2009 it was a DS game. It was about playing different genres of video games in the 80s/90s. The lead characters were Japanese but the game was in English. There were definitely Final Fantasy and Super Mario inspired levels.

Retro Game Challenge aka Game Center CX

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Retro Game Challenge aka Game Center CX

Perfect, thank you

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
So I've got an old one I vaguely remember on school computers in the 90s. I know that's a bit vague since school computers had all sorts of things from random years, but what I remember was

1. It was a 2 player thing
2. both players picked a robot looking character. They didn't look particularly different, since it was an old game, not very visually advanced, but most had a "distinct" 2 frame walk cycle, just there weren't a whole lot of choices, or colors to differentiate them with.
3. the players basically raced from the top of the screen to the bottom on a turn based system, where there were a few levels of dashed lines.
4. The race was based on there being some number of rows of dashed lines across the screen, with the robots walking on top of the dashed lines, and when a player reached the end of the row, the dash underneath kind of made a piston elevator to reach the player, and the player's robot would move onto the elevator
5. some probably random spaces the player could land on were actually elevators to bring them down to the next level.

I don't recall how number of spaces moved per turn was calculated, but I can't remember any actual educational value it was probably RNG.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Probably a long shot, but trying to remember the name of a game I played as a young kid. This would have been on a Mac in the early 90s.

It looked somewhat like this:

It was 2 player, so imagine this mirrored on the other side of the screen. The little guy in the lab coat with the bumps on his head is seated at a computer console or something. The gun/wheel thing on it moved around the big circular loop. The idea was to try to shoot at the other player's gun/wheel. You could get power ups/different weapons, one of which looked (as I recall) like a pile of cannonballs, that would show up around the circle.

Might have been part of a pack of other games? I think it was only just this one screen but I don't remember a lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh geeze, I remember that game. No clue what it was called though. Probably came on one of those packs of shareware/freeware games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A side scroller arcade game. Two cops, wearing suits, one black, one white (felt a bit like a Lethal Weapon ripoff at the time). Shooting bad guys, jumping across rows of cars (?) and trains (??). There might have been a driving section (still with shooting) and pooooooooosibly a driving section where the gamestyle changed completely?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

A side scroller arcade game. Two cops, wearing suits, one black, one white (felt a bit like a Lethal Weapon ripoff at the time). Shooting bad guys, jumping across rows of cars (?) and trains (??). There might have been a driving section (still with shooting) and pooooooooosibly a driving section where the gamestyle changed completely?

Sounds somewhat like NARC, although not exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgyjEgnxo0

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
We would always play that game at my uncles during family parties, it was awesome. Junkies would shoot hypodermic needles at you and in response you’d blow them up with rockets.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’ve never understood why the narc squad has such a problem with sleeves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

El_Elegante posted:

I’ve never understood why the narc squad has such a problem with sleeves

Yeah, Nice try Narc