Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
I'm pretty sure they announced it relatively early into development too because it was the replacement for the planned Hornet DLC so they didn't want people to be wondering what happened to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There are so few actually great games that Silksong failing to live up to Hollow Knight would be tremendously disappointing.

Came hoping for news in all the new replies, happy enough to keep waiting patiently if it pays off again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
2020 was rough on everybody so it may have been that if not for all the poo poo, they would have delivered by now. :shrug: we will never know

yeah just be patient Team Cherry owns game's gonna own just gotta give em time

Fedule posted:

The original Kickstarter ran November-December 2014 with the game having started development some time before (I presume April 2014, around the time of Ludum Dare) and promised to ship June 2015. That was, obviously, a little optimistic in retrospect, since the game eventually shipped in February 2017, although it was playable in beta in September 2015. Development continued until August 2018 when Godhome was released.

Probably optimistic, but also consider that they probably adjusted plans based on kickstarter response. They got nearly 2x their asking goal.
The original release date was probably planned based on "we need to ship by around here so we can start another project or we'll go broke". Getting more money means you can keep the lights on longer and can expand scope.

Similar thing likely happening with Silksong. Hollow Knight on consoles and switch and PC and everything after the kickstarter probably brought in tooooons of money for the scale of what the game cost. So now Team Cherry probably feel in a way obligated to make Silksong so much more impressively huge to pay back their fans.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

If this releases before the end of the year I'm gonna be red in the face

...from all the slaps to the face Team Cherry come round to my house and give me every day this game isn't released

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
It was going to be released in Dec but guess what CD PROJEK decided to do

This may or may not be factual, see this proof of how Zote made it into the real world instead:

NoMas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 31, 2020

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

OzFactor posted:

I'm on my fourth playthrough and I haven't been able to pick anyone but Quirrel every time. How could you possibly choose anyone else?

Look at this guy. :argh:

I'm still in my first playthrough, trying to figure out how to upgrade the Crested Needle.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Silksong will be releasing on January 31st. Unfortunately it will share this release date with Cyberpunk 2077, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, Path of Exile: Maelström, Destiny: Beyond Light and Final Fantasy XIV: Spherebound

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

At least it's my birthday.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Flavahbeast posted:

Silksong will be releasing on January 31st. Unfortunately it will share this release date with Cyberpunk 2077, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, Path of Exile: Maelström, Destiny: Beyond Light and Final Fantasy XIV: Spherebound

I don't care about the other ones so all good here.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Arrhythmia posted:

They're just joking, unfortunately. You still need to wait until tomorrow for the release.

so which one is it, is it tomorrow, or january 31st? youre toying with my heart and mind you gently caress

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

so which one is it, is it tomorrow, or january 31st? youre toying with my heart and mind you gently caress

Tomorrow is January 31st.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's tomorrow. January 31st is tomorrow.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I want the time machine you guys have.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
yeah, i'd like it too so i can skip the rest of this miserable loving year

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

*chuckles knowingly, and darkly*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mindblast posted:

I want the time machine you guys have.

yeah same can't wait for it to be tomorrow, the 31st of January

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fargin Icehole posted:

don't worry, the year is a completely arbitrary number and things are only going to get worse (until silksong comes out)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Guys, the game is taking so long because Team Cherry is working closely with Sakurai to make the Knight the next playable character along with a Hornet Assist Trophy. My uncle at Nintendo told me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Guys, the game is taking so long because Team Cherry is working closely with Sakurai to make the Knight the next playable character along with a Hornet Assist Trophy. My uncle at Nintendo told me.

It's not taking that long. It's closer to coming out than Christmas is (tomorrow vs. December 25th)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just started Hollow Knight again since it’s free for PS+ members this month. It’s been a few years since I played and man, it’s still so fantastic and wonderful. I’m trying without the compass this time to really force myself to learn the map. I never did the final bits of DLC so I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Team Cherry were contacted by an extraterrestrial civilisation shortly after the release of Hollow Knight. We can only speculate why this was so, but the dominant theory is that they released a moutherfucking kikk arse game that the type-2 civilisation of beings who noticed them because of this incredible work of art collectively appreciated. The development team were taken to a planet orbiting a star that was very near Saggitarius A*, and were given some very advanced creative-application production technologies. They were also given life-extending technologies so that they could finish developing their magnum opus without the realities of mortal flesh getting in their way.

This meant that they were well on their way to releasing their Siklsong creative-interactive product on schedule - before, even, because the tech they had inherited from the super-advanced civilisation that had so appreciated Hollow Knight had enabled previously-unfathomable efficiency, and ironically it turned out that they didn't need the life-extending flesh in the end - but their proximity to Saggitarius A* was their undoing. They developed their game on time, but by the time they had done so, and had travelled at near-c to get back to the arm of the galaxy where Earth once was, due to time dialation their fans were nothing more than elementary particles orbiting, or inside, the white-dwarf star that was once known as Sol.

Team Cherry went down as a tragic tale among the rest of the galaxy's type 1 & 2 civilisations as a team of creative outputters who made one of the most inventive, creative and challenging interactive-creative works that any civilisation had ever seen. The tragedy came from the fact that the only life forms capable of appreciating their work were the original denizens of their originating star, Sol, who were long dead by the time the project was finished, and the species that "elevated" them, who were only able to appreciate their works due to an unprecidented coincidentally similar evolutionary and cultural background.

There have been many attempts to appreciate Siklsong by various members of the Galactic Association of Life but none have come close to being able to enjoy or appreciate the work due to massive evolutionary and cultural differences between the creators and the appreciators of the work. The developers are rumoured to be alive to this day, living out the rest of their long, artificially-extended lives on a planet orbiting a long-lived red star, their life-extending flesh dooming them to aeons of a torturous existence of witnessing a galaxy of evolutionary and culturally diverse beings that rise and fall, all of which are unable to appreciate their magnum opus, Siklsong.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What is going on in this thread. I think silksong takes place in your heads because you guys might have the brainworms

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ilmucche posted:

What is going on in this thread. I think silksong takes place in your heads because you guys might have the brainworms

feel the vapourwave

embrace the shitshoe

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ok, so now it's not coming out tomorrow???

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Foehammer posted:

Ok, so now it's not coming out tomorrow???

No it still is, don’t worry.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Free beer Silksong, tomorrow!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game’s out. Surprised at the changes so far. Hornet being a wild haired Japanese man who sees the world through the medium of a jrpg?? but I’m interested to see where it goes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've already completed it on single strand mode.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't know how you guys are playing it when it comes out tomorrow.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't know how you guys are playing it when it comes out tomorrow.

Lmao if you didn't get early access from your uncle who works at Team Cherry.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
BOY that mushroom lady fight was hard. (Oceania early release here)

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I used admin privileges to set my system clock forward, learn computers you idiot

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Cactus posted:

I've already completed it on single strand mode.

I'm still confused about why snake and the metal gear showed up though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I'm still confused about why snake and the metal gear showed up though.

“Snake” is a kind of “Wyrm.”

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Had to stop playing couple of hours after launch, there were alot of bugs

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Foehammer posted:

I used admin privileges to set my system clock forward, learn computers you idiot

my mom doesnt allow me to be an ADMIN

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fargin Icehole posted:

Launch is tomorrow though :confused:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Legitimate lol here

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
One day someone's going to post legit news and no one will believe them

(It's out tomorrow btw, which is today for me cause I live in the glorious Australian future and am playing it right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just started playing Hollow Knight and have fallen in love. Beautiful game and atmosphere.
I'm hoping one of you can let me know if I've missed anything important so far, because I really don't want to stumble on any spoilers.

So far, I've beaten the False Knight and Hornet bosses. I've poked around as much of Greenpath and Forgotten Crossroads as I think I can get to, and I've started exploring the Fog Canyon and Fungal Wastes.

I've gotten the Moth Cape to let me air dash, but judging from the geography, there's got to be a double jump / wall jump item out there somewhere. I've picked up a Charm to give me extra reach with my Nail, but I haven't found anything to boost my actual damage yet.

I've found some NPCs too, and a few shops have opened back in town. I also picked up the Hunter notebook, and started working on that. Have I missed anything important so far? I just don't want to find out that there was a Nail upgrade or something that I've skated past, and I'm making things harder for myself.

The combat has been really enjoyable. A few enemies have given me a hard time, but with some patience, I can figure out cues to watch for, and then it's pretty smooth sailing.