Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Tom Tucker posted:

Edit: a good example is the micro missiles (I forget the cool name) - they don’t set them up from last season but when e turns them on Baby Yoda’s reaction tells us what is up.

There's an episode where he gets those as a reward and then uses them to kill a room full of stormtroopers later in season 1....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The micro-missiles are called Whistling Birds

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I understood you, tucker

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/helenalovier/status/1322333869601939458?s=21

I really think the melding of Western with high fantasy dragon slaying took this episode above and beyond.

I’ll echo the sentiment that I was just smiling ear to ear for the entire episode and was genuinely captivated in a way that none of the Disney trilogy even approached.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll echo the sentiment that I was just smiling ear to ear for the entire episode and was genuinely captivated in a way that none of the Disney trilogy even approached.

I kept dropping KOTOR tidbits to my wife and talking about someone taking bobas armor calling himself the sheriff at the beginning of the episode. Called everything in the best way possible down the the krayt pearl. So glad they did the pearl, it's the first real KOTOR reference in live action.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The production team gets so much out of the volume and that train yard lot they also shoot on. I was really skeptical they could get a train lot covered with sand to look good, but that Krayt final battle just shits all over my doubts.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bust Rodd posted:

I really think the melding of Western with high fantasy dragon slaying took this episode above and beyond.

Hah cool, I was actually wondering if they got somebody who can sign fluently to do some of that. I don't know ASL, but watching it, it felt like somebody who knew what they were doing

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I haven’t read all the comments yet but I really loved the spaghetti western episode and Olyphant was really good I like him please no one tell me he’s a sex pest or a chud or something

There’s just something about a straight up western plot that is fun once and a while

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

So, what awful white male grognard is gonna be the first one to light themselves on fire about SJWs pandering to... deaf people? Because it's gonna happen, just watch. Some chud somewhere is gonna get mad about it.

Beyond that, that's a really cool way of helping integrate something like that into the universe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just don't think they need to do more with Fett. He's alive, he's been living on Tatooine since escaping the Sarlacc and he might as well have moved on with his life for all we know. I'd be perfectly happy if that stinger was the last we see of him. Just an acknowledgment of a thing that happened and then back to the daily adventures of baby yoda and buckethead.

That would be an awful decision! You've just done everything possible to set up a fight between The Mandalorian and the character who originated the entire concept, and you're just going to leave it and never revisit it? Why the hell would you tease the audience with such obvious foreshadowing and then go "Oh, it was just an Easter Egg"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Din and Boba have a Hobbes and Shaw your relationship. Bonus, Boba Fett didn't kill Han Solo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Filoni is also a huge proponent of Checkov's Gun. He doesn't put stuff in like that and not use it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I hope Din and Boba have a Hobbes and Shaw your relationship. Bonus, Boba Fett didn't kill Han Solo

Boba shows up to the dock at Mos Eisley while Din is packing up the Razor Crest and is like "You have my old armor." Din replies "Oh, sorry about there. Please, take it, it's yours." Boba puts on the helmet, walks away without incident, and is never seen again.

[Woodwind music intensifies]

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I refuse to believe the shot of Mando standing next to "guy wearing some of Boba Fett's armor" isn't leading to "shot of Mando and Boba Fett standing together." Sadly they will give Boba the IG-11 ending

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

chitoryu12 posted:

That would be an awful decision! You've just done everything possible to set up a fight between The Mandalorian and the character who originated the entire concept, and you're just going to leave it and never revisit it? Why the hell would you tease the audience with such obvious foreshadowing and then go "Oh, it was just an Easter Egg"?

Only extreme dumb dumbs would think that stinger could actually be the last we see of Fett.

However, I do think that there's a good chance he won't reappear right away next episode. Build some more anticipation.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cage Kicker posted:

I refuse to believe the shot of Mando standing next to "guy wearing some of Boba Fett's armor" isn't leading to "shot of Mando and Boba Fett standing together." Sadly they will give Boba the IG-11 ending

I doubt it’ll be able to pull off such a weirdly beautiful sacrifice.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thundercracker posted:

Isn't Sabine Wren in this season? I feel like there's no way to avoid Mandolaorian politics if "they" show up. Maybe it all started over a trade embargo

No confirmation for that character, but with all the other tangently-related characters who will be showing up, I feel like it's a matter of when, not if.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Filoni is also a huge proponent of Checkov's Gun. He doesn't put stuff in like that and not use it.

You don’t need to be a proponent of the trope just to do basic writing. This is less “Gun over the mantle” and more “Character specifically pointing to the gun and saying he’ll use it when someone shows up in the next act.” Not following up on this would be stupid and aggravating.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Boba Fett’s armor was so iconic that we are now 40 years later watching the painstakingly and most technically crafted property in the entire Star Wars universe based almost entirely on its simple yet effective design. Boba Fett became a character absolutely everyone wanted to love and respect, and he gets owned by a chump and goes out like an even bigger chump.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

nine-gear crow posted:

So, what awful white male grognard is gonna be the first one to light themselves on fire about SJWs pandering to... deaf people? Because it's gonna happen, just watch. Some chud somewhere is gonna get mad about it.

It didn't take long (screencap from a few minutes ago from reddit :shepface:):

We all know deep inside our dark hearts that dude is a chud that's angry at woman talking about ASL in his star wars

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 1, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know the fight choreography in this isn't always great, but that moment where Mando uses his helmet to catch a punch was loving rad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Shout-Out to the flamethrower putting in work as a... political tool?

davidspackage posted:

I know the fight choreography in this isn't always great, but that moment where Mando uses his helmet to catch a punch was loving rad

This owned so hard I rewinded to watch it again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

Shout-Out to the flamethrower putting in work as a... political tool?

It's the second time he's resorted to using it during parlay, though this was a more uh, measured use of flamethrower diplomacy.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's early in the morning here and for some reason my brain read that as "Calvin and Hobbes" and that led to the weirdest images.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's early in the morning here and for some reason my brain read that as "Calvin and Hobbes" and that led to the weirdest images.

You aren’t the first (well maybe for Boba)

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Epi Lepi posted:

Only extreme dumb dumbs would think that stinger could actually be the last we see of Fett.

However, I do think that there's a good chance he won't reappear right away next episode. Build some more anticipation.

Yeah. They had a “Hey, is that Boba Fett?” stinger at the end of the Tatooine episode in S1 and a “No, this is Boba Fett!” stinger at the end of the Tatooine episode of S2. It’s a hook for the future that may or may not even come into play this season.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

davidspackage posted:

I love how the guy punched him twice in the helmet first, so Mando clocked he was going for haymakers and broke his hand with his face(plate). The choreography for that fight was SO GOOD

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's the second time he's resorted to using it during parlay, though this was a more uh, measured use of flamethrower diplomacy.

tbf, if I had a flamethrower on my arm I would use it whenever I could.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I want to believe that Mando is gonna bring Fetts jank armor to the Armorer and fix it up... then give it back to Space Raylen

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Owlbear Camus posted:

Last time it was used as a negotiation tactic. Still love the fact that the Jawas took it as such instead of considering it attempted murder.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I forgot about the casting news of Timothy Olyphant and Temuera Morrison.

When I saw the Fett armor and then him casually taking it off like "Yeah, I knew this day would come" it felt very natural instead of trying to play it cool like "It's okay, I am an actual mandalorian and I can take it off"

But, God drat is he a beautiful man, genuinely one of the only actors where it wouldn't be a huge letdown to see who was underneath the helmet. I was so happy to see his silver hair.

Same with the child's slightly dumb expressions and flapping ears - I can't help laughing every time I see it.

Biggest problem is now I fully expect Walton Goggins ("We farmed moisture together"), Ian McShane ("Welcome to loving Coruscant"), Damon Herriman ("Dewey done got hiself a Krayt pearl") and Keone Young (Let's be honest: "SWEDGIN! COCKSUCKER!") showing up somewhere.

I think it was a very well-done story, really hitting the western aspects with the main through-fair and the porches up on stilts with everyone stopping in their tracks following him through.

Similarly with Temuera foreshadowing at the end. It's probably gonna be Din tracking other mandalorians and then Temuera tracking them always a step behind.

I really don't care how people felt the episode pandered to fans - they do it very well.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My only complaint about the boba Fett reveal is that it does the same thing Lucas does in the prequels where every character just lands on the planet they start the main trilogy from as if they never moved for 30 years. Why wouldn't boba Fett as a intergalactic bounty hunter not already bounce from tattooin

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

He's probably traumatized and broke from being in the sarlccs stomach for who knows how long.

Every one thinks he's dead and he always wore the armor so he can't just be like "Hey it's your old friend Boba can I get a ride to coriscant?"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really like Pascal's Mando, but if there was an alternate timeline where Tim Olyphant was the character I wouldn't mind crossing over.

Oh did Justified get a few more seasons in this alt dimension too? That'd be rad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

My only complaint about the boba Fett reveal is that it does the same thing Lucas does in the prequels where every character just lands on the planet they start the main trilogy from as if they never moved for 30 years. Why wouldn't boba Fett as a intergalactic bounty hunter not already bounce from tattooin

Tattooine has been established throughout multiple SW properties as “the planet for crimes” and Boba Fett probably has infinite contacts within the Hutt syndicates as well supplies/fuel stashed all over the planet. Having an established base of operations to move in and out makes way more sense than just floating around in space, burning fuel and basically inviting trouble.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Thundercracker posted:

To understand Tattooine you have to understand that it's how Lucas felt about growing up in Modesto, CA. Anyone who's ever had to live anywhere in the hell hole that is the san joaquin valley can easily tell you that if you ever hosed up in life bad enough to have to live there even if it isn't your fault by means of being born, it becomes a place that you will get stuck in and have to try like hell to ever escape.

Story wise, the Mandalorian has already shown that Tattooine post the empire is a very different place (droids working in the 'no droids!' cantina, etc.). Boba surviving the Sarlaac ordeal, losing his armor, etc. likely lead to an identity crisis or wanting to turn over a new leaf in his life as some desert tracking hermit.

G-III fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 1, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My favorite Checkov's Gun is in the original Star Wars. Obi-Wan: "Here's your dad's lightsaber. This is a VERY important item."

And then Luke never uses it (except for one training scene). Never once thinks of using it to help them escape while in the Death Star. Never deflects a single bolt, doesn't ever cut through anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've literally never thought about him possibly having it to get out of the trash compactor. Is he carrying it on the stormtrooper utility belt? Or did he leave it on the Falcon?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Retroactively, because it predates most RPGs, that feels like a very RPG moment. You give a player a fancy magic weapon that's the perfect solution to a problem you've got planned....and he forgets about it and calls the NPC droids for help instead! :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Davros1 posted:

My favorite Checkov's Gun is in the original Star Wars. Obi-Wan: "Here's your dad's lightsaber. This is a VERY important item."

And then Luke never uses it (except for one training scene). Never once thinks of using it to help them escape while in the Death Star. Never deflects a single bolt, doesn't ever cut through anything.

To be honest, my mom gave me some of my dads stuff she had when I was old enough after he had passed away when I was a toddler. One of them was a tie pin, and she said it was one of his favorite things to use when he wore ties. She showed me how it worked.

I always kept forgetting to use it.

Luke probably just kept forgetting because when you’re 18, you’ve been dumb a lot and you’ll still dumb a lot.