Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I don't really make a lot of packaged liquids. I have 1 refinery making packaged fuel for my jetpack/cars and that's pretty much it. If I'm moving liquids too far for pipes I just use a train. How many things are using packaged fuel or what other fluids are you guys packaging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One of the really good alt recipes for multiplying your refinery output is Diluted Fuel, that recipe requires packaged water and Heavy Oil Residue, and outputs packaged fuel. So using that recipe means lots of packaging and unpackaging.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Besides the diluted fuel thing -- which honestly is 100% skippable if you aren't doing Max Turbomotors or some other sillyness -- the main reason to package liquids is to sink them.

Even with the new packager it's not a great source of points or anything, but if you have a refinery system that can jam from excess liquids it's the only way to dispose of them. There are often better solutions than throwing it in the trash, but it requires having a pretty deep understanding of the fluid system.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like they could take advantage of packaged fluids to use them for assumbler/manufacturer/foundry recipes at some point too. Like if batteries required sulphuric acid instead of raw sulphur. Right now there's not a huge value though, no, save for what has already been mentioned.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I hope that the alt recipes get reviewed at some point. Even though it's entirely optional, needing to run through a punch of packing and unpacking to get the theoretical maximum out of your oil is a bit silly, definitely tedious and feeds into the complaints about lack of blueprints with all the duplicate building. A pipe input for the sink would be nice too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tried out the game. It's pretty cool for being an easier space engineers game. The lack of ability to quickly place 20 buildings or blueprints to build larger plans modularly seems like a huge negative. I have a simple plant making steel parts and some advanced things but no where an amount to build them fast. It would take such a huge scale up and the one factory already took like 10+ hours to get this far.

I was hoping balancing load conveyors worked out better than manifold layouts but the amount of time to plan for balanced loads just isn't worth it. I guess it was worth a try though.

Some pictures of my base

Messing around with manifold conveyors

Balanced load converyers for smelters, look pretty but take alot of time to setup

Balanced load constructers

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 28, 2020

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Protip: get the coffee cup from the awesome shop and use the photo mode for clean screenshots.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

I was hoping balancing load conveyors worked out better than manifold layouts but the amount of time to plan for balanced loads just isn't worth it. I guess it was worth a try though.

I've never quite understood the enthusiasm for the load balancing merger/splitter setups. I'd always assumed it was a carryover from factorio or some other game where it made sense.

It's so easy to balance load by just building the correct # of machines for production and consumption, and setting clockspeed if you have fractions that are important. What does a load balancer make work better than just splitting things any way that's convenient?

(OTOH there were clever setups for doing overflow that were pretty necessary before smart splitters were added, but that's a different job.)

Gadzuko posted:

I hope that the alt recipes get reviewed at some point. Even though it's entirely optional, needing to run through a punch of packing and unpacking to get the theoretical maximum out of your oil is a bit silly, definitely tedious and feeds into the complaints about lack of blueprints with all the duplicate building.

Mk2 pipes have just added 2400 units of crude oil in the world, or +30% to the theoretical maximum. So if you were planning to build a diluted fuel chain you can now just go with a polymer resin setup. It will only be missing ~15% of the max you could have had yesterday.

Probably the only reason they made the packager in the first place was to make diluted fuel in particular a bit less insane. If not for that one recipe it really wasn't needed. But getting the theoretical maximum should be a challenge. Unfortunately in this game there's not many ways to make things difficult other than needing to place a lot of buildings.

And for anyone who isn't actually producing the complete maximum from the entire world, the lesson is forcing yourself to use "optimum" setups is a neurosis. You win by not doing it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tenzarin posted:

Some pictures of my base

This is much too organized for a first base. You should be placing your buildings directly on the ground without foundation and linking them all together with disordered conveyor belts to form a hideous mess that only you can understand.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 29, 2020

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of Hideous messes only I understand:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1472066704348714557/2876DA2301DB4F1DA8503066F4C3DB13CB6B459C/
I built the drat thing and I even I can't give heads or tails on whats happening in this one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is much too organized for a first base. You should be placing your buildings directly on the ground without foundation and linking them all together with disordered conveyor belts to form a hideous mess that only you can understand.

I went looking for the screenshot folder a couple of days ago and found this beauty from my first base. Seems relevant.

to be fair, that is probably the worst part of the factory and there is also this:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 29, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Came back to the coal plant I built much earlier in the game and set up a crystal oscillator factory on the waterfall.

Other angles and inside shots:

https://imgur.com/a/qO6BhZf

Think I'll start running the conveyor lifts internally on the next building since they look kind of janky doing it this way on an otherwise clean design. At least now I can finally go back to my turbofuel/aluminum refinery and start making use of the new fluid features from the patch. Been needing more rubber and heatsinks for a long time and got a bit carried away building this while waiting for it to be released.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Came back to the coal plant I built much earlier in the game and set up a crystal oscillator factory on the waterfall.

Think I'll start running the conveyor lifts internally on the next building since they look kind of janky doing it this way on an otherwise clean design.

Vary naice.

External conveyors can be ok on some builds, but yeah on the clean all-glass walls they do clash a bit. If you could manage to push them out to the edges, like where your hypertubes are, you could enclose both sets of external stuff in a pair of 1 foundation bump-outs that would still look good with the aesthetic.

A thing I really like is to build up against the edge of a cliff or rock pillar, and then use that irregular back surface as the main conveyor lift space. They're totally hidden from view, and you can get away with clipping into rocks if needed without being visible.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Did we ever find out what the "mysterious" building from the teaser was?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What in gods name is this witchery of casted screws?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

A life-changing revelation that you will still one day find woefully inadequate for your needs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bussamove posted:

A life-changing revelation that you will still one day find woefully inadequate for your needs.

And then hopefully by then you'll find steel screws

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tenzarin posted:

I wish I had that recipe early on, but the problem is that it requires you to go hunting for HDDs before unlocking Tier 3 to increase the chance of getting it (and not one of a million alternate tier 3 recipes). Once I had unlocked coal and got it set up, feeling safe enough to leave my factory running while I started exploring the map, the "possible recipe" pool is larger that it took me like 20 HDDs (aka over 3 hours) to get casted screws.

The devs even changed it so you couldn't save scum right before research was completing because they realised how some alternate recipes are so much better than others which meant the optimal playstyle was to keep reloading until you get the good ones (aka Casted Screws) first.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PancakeTransmission posted:

I wish I had that recipe early on, but the problem is that it requires you to go hunting for HDDs before unlocking Tier 3 to increase the chance of getting it (and not one of a million alternate tier 3 recipes). Once I had unlocked coal and got it set up, feeling safe enough to leave my factory running while I started exploring the map, the "possible recipe" pool is larger that it took me like 20 HDDs (aka over 3 hours) to get casted screws.

The devs even changed it so you couldn't save scum right before research was completing because they realised how some alternate recipes are so much better than others which meant the optimal playstyle was to keep reloading until you get the good ones (aka Casted Screws) first.

So, you looked up what the alternate recipes were and which were the optimal ones to get, but didn't look up the optimal method to get them by doing early HD runs. That's kinda a trap of your own making my dude. Gotta do the optimal thing to be optimal.

It's not like the first 6-10 HDs around the starting locations are particularly difficult to get -- you need the rebar gun, but even the materials to unlock pods are not a problem. Once you've found a few of them you'll be able to unlock pods you don't have the tech for just from the scatter of mats around other pods. HD hunting takes about the same time whether you're early or mid-game. Leave your biofuel powered factory alone and letting the power go out isn't a big deal.

(Late game w/ jetpack the HDs are a ton easier to get, but that's how the game is supposed to go: you solve problems first using the defaults, and later get tools to solve them easier / better the second time around so you're not repeating yourself.)

And if you really want a particular alt recipe and don't like the system for getting them, load your save into the map site, click research, and unlock casted screws or whatever. Takes 1 minute versus savescumming research for hours.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

Goddamn that is a hell of an anti-solution. "People are rerolling because they don't like to find turds in their pinyata. Let's make the turds mandatory."

e: more constructively, I'd like to see a mod that removes mechanics like loot crates and cooldowns. Want casted screws? Feed 5000 screws to the MAM

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 31, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think it would be a good improvement if, when researching a hard drave, you could give it an item you want an alternate for and it would give you one if possible.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe there should be two modes, one where you get random recipes from hard drives like now, and one where you just pick what recipe you want but they cost like 3 hard drives each

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just figured that if it depends that much on random chance to find, then it shouldn't hurt too much to skip it. I figure the game had to be designed with the intent that most people won't see some of these recipes. Like if I have to spend hours making rebar ammo, getting health, exploring the map, going back for more health/ammo, exploring some more, finding a wreck, finding out I don't have the materials to open it, coming back and opening it, and then waiting for it to finish researching only to find I didn't get one of the OP recipes, then it should probably fall under the catagory of "nice to have but don't kill yourself looking for it".

Like I think the only useful recipes I've found have been Stitched Iron Plates, Solid Steel Ingots, and the one that lets you make circuit boards out of coal and rubber.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Does exploration/combat give you anything yet?

Last I played this game it was all "build level 1 mcguffing generator to spit out parts for a slightly faster level 2 mcguffin generator"

And I did that for something like 70 hours but none of it even amounted to anything. Unlike factorio where you eventually start making nuclear weapons, tanks and cannons etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

I just figured that if it depends that much on random chance to find, then it shouldn't hurt too much to skip it. I figure the game had to be designed with the intent that most people won't see some of these recipes. Like if I have to spend hours making rebar ammo, getting health, exploring the map, going back for more health/ammo, exploring some more, finding a wreck, finding out I don't have the materials to open it, coming back and opening it, and then waiting for it to finish researching only to find I didn't get one of the OP recipes, then it should probably fall under the catagory of "nice to have but don't kill yourself looking for it".

That's pretty much what it's supposed to be like. Building factories involves a fair amount of repetition -- when you build a factory for the most advanced components you're still making iron plates and copper sheets. The standard game loop of build-explore-repeat means when you find HDs and unlock alt recipes during the explore part, your next factory will be a little different than your last one.

ymgve posted:

Maybe there should be two modes, one where you get random recipes from hard drives like now, and one where you just pick what recipe you want but they cost like 3 hard drives each

I like this idea.

But I know in my heart that the people who are mad at the current system would then be mad because there are only 89 hard drives, and more than 30 must have recipes for optimal production.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Frekkie Melody posted:

Last I played this game it was all "build level 1 mcguffing generator to spit out parts for a slightly faster level 2 mcguffin generator"

And I did that for something like 70 hours but none of it even amounted to anything. Unlike factorio where you eventually start making nuclear weapons, tanks and cannons etc.

That would require a need to build such thing, which in term would require the world to be a little more interactive and/or hostile, which I'm for, but I don't think the developer have any interest in doing anything like that; much of their effort seems to be focus filling their tier list with mk2 or mk3 of X.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Frekkie Melody posted:

Monsters guard valuable things -- resource nodes, hard drives, power slugs -- so you explore to find those things and kill the monsters to get their stuff.

But no, no there's no major reason to engage in combat with a random monster and they are still very passive. They don't hurt your buildings and will not even respawn if you have powered buildings near their spawn point. Afaik that is not planned to change, its intended to be a low-conflict game.

Though I think the crab boss is still planned to be in the game at some point, who knows what that guy will do. I suspect it will just replace the normal monsters around the oil areas.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Maybe I'm the odd one out from this type of game.

I was always about automating production of ammo and explosives so I could rampage through bug nests and collect valuable materials to bring back home to base. Not to much automation for its own sake.

When I played this game the first time I saw flying manta like things and thought "I can't wait to see what those things drop once this game has SAM-Sites.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like to pretend I'm in the movie Avatar, driving my tractor through trees so I can exploit the natural resources.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Frekkie Melody posted:

Maybe I'm the odd one out from this type of game.

I was always about automating production of ammo and explosives so I could rampage through bug nests and collect valuable materials to bring back home to base. Not to much automation for its own sake.

When I played this game the first time I saw flying manta like things and thought "I can't wait to see what those things drop once this game has SAM-Sites.

You are definitely not alone in that regard.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You might want to check out Mindustry. It's the only game I can think of that uses factory automation as means to the end of blowing up aliens - Factorio does it a bit more than Satisfactory but in Factorio it's primarily defensive and you only need to attack alien bases to get to resources nearby just like in Satisfactory.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tenzarin posted:

I like to pretend I'm in the movie Avatar, driving my tractor through trees so I can exploit the natural resources.

I only learned about Satisfactory late into Early Access and the pre-release review for Satisfactory on Rock Paper Shotgun caught my eye mostly for some killer opening paragraphs in this theme.

RPS posted:

...You’re a corporate peon, sent to fill the blue skies of this virgin world with smoke and its grasslands with machinery, all painted a garish bulldozer gold.

Mostly you will be plopping down mining machines over seams of iron, limestone, sulfur, copper, and so on. Then plopping down smelters to turn the ore into ingots, for example. Then plopping down constructors to turn the ingots into iron plates, or screws. Then plopping down assemblers to turn the iron plates and screws into reinforced plating. Then plopping down… well, you’re human, aren’t you? You understand what planet-killing looks like.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tenebrais posted:

You might want to check out Mindustry. It's the only game I can think of that uses factory automation as means to the end of blowing up aliens - Factorio does it a bit more than Satisfactory but in Factorio it's primarily defensive and you only need to attack alien bases to get to resources nearby just like in Satisfactory.

To be fair, I'm reasonably convinced that the primary role biters play in Factorio (after the initial expansion/research phase) is to act as another resource dump that isn't research.

In contrast, enemies in Satisfactory give you a resource that is worthless after the early-ish game (with the exception of inhalers I guess?), take little to no resources to kill, and generally illustrate valuable areas of the map for exploitation.

As someone who reads both games' threads, and plays both of them quite a lot, I don't understand why folks feel that Satisfactory is just a 3d Factorio wannabe. It is much more like a subversion in a new medium than an imitator.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Synastren posted:

As someone who reads both games' threads, and plays both of them quite a lot, I don't understand why folks feel that Satisfactory is just a 3d Factorio wannabe. It is much more like a subversion in a new medium than an imitator.

It honestly does impress me just how different Satisfactory manages to be while still being the same basic kind of game as Factorio. I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much room for flexibility before this.

Factorio was my number one game for years, but Satisfactory managed to unseat it just by having a play style that fits me a bit better, for all its early access jank.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does satisfactory have blueprints yet? (I haven't played since it was first "released")

I don't think I could stand scaling things up the way you all have doing everything by hand. That is not the fun part to me :/

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Does satisfactory have blueprints yet? (I haven't played since it was first "released")

I don't think I could stand scaling things up the way you all have doing everything by hand. That is not the fun part to me :/

Not yet, probably not ever if the current design philosophy holds. There's not much in the way of combat, any enemies are just a minor inconvenience so there isn't really any game beyond the act of building things. I guess they think that if you could just copy/paste entire node maximization arrays (for example a single copy/paste for all the smelters/splitters/mergers/belts/power connections needed for a caterium node putting out 780 ore/minute to turn it into ingots then another click for the constructors turning those to quickwire) there wouldn't be much left to the game besides laying out foundations to put them on. The meat of the game is taking huge amounts of time to hook all these things up individually and getting satisfaction from completing a major project, if you can't find a sort of zen in that then I can't see it being enjoyable. Even if they decided to focus more heavily on combat and put bosses in certain areas of the world I can't imagine any of it actually being fun with this game engine.

A more pressing issue for me specifically is that computers are complicated to make and I need more drat rubber. Something seems to be kind of weird with the mk.2 pipes or just fluid in general, there are two pure oil nodes being split up and then merged back together to supply 600 oil/minute to the large building under construction while supplying the remaining 600 to the refineries around it. Even with the valves set to split the flows to 300 exactly in both ways placed right after the extractors and plenty of headlift it doesn't seem to supply a consistent 600 to the building, more like ~550 with it fluctuating somewhat. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about rounding errors, maybe that's happening with this many connected parts. Maybe there's an issue trying to connect 10 refineries to one pipe supplying 300 oil/minute since it has to keep splitting the flow. Or maybe it's just an issue of one node being too far away and I need another pump for the sake of horizontal distance, I seem to recall that being a thing at least in earlier builds. Not sure but it's running well enough for now anyway. Finally have all four oil nodes on the islands utilized at least in theory and two full mk.5 conveyors of bauxite being brought in for aluminum production, once all the windows are on the building and the heat sinks/computers are routed to the train station I'll probably be done with this location.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 1, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not yet, probably not ever if the current design philosophy holds. There's not much in the way of combat, any enemies are just a minor inconvenience so there isn't really any game beyond the act of building things. I guess they think that if you could just copy/paste entire node maximization arrays (for example a single copy/paste for all the smelters/splitters/mergers/belts/power connections needed for a caterium node putting out 780 ore/minute to turn it into ingots then another click for the constructors turning those to quickwire) there wouldn't be much left to the game besides laying out foundations to put them on. The meat of the game is taking huge amounts of time to hook all these things up individually and getting satisfaction from completing a major project, if you can't find a sort of zen in that then I can't see it being enjoyable. Even if they decided to focus more heavily on combat and put bosses in certain areas of the world I can't imagine any of it actually being fun with this game engine.

Totally understandable. I'm not asking for or hoping for giant blueprints, just the ability to stick at least a few pieces together so I can iterate splitters, belts, etc a little more easily.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Totally understandable. I'm not asking for or hoping for giant blueprints, just the ability to stick at least a few pieces together so I can iterate splitters, belts, etc a little more easily.

All they would really need to do is repurpose the mass deconstruct feature to let you save a limited selection of items within a 3d space and assign that to a hotbar. The act of building is fundamental to the gameplay, but after 200 hours I think it would be easy enough to allow a limited blueprint of something like 10 items without losing much sense of player agency. Just a basic (splitter > belt > smelter > belt > merger) would cut down on a lot of the drudgery and you would still have to create those blueprints yourself to begin with. Maybe even put some +5 blueprint capacity upgrades in the M.A.M. or hard drives so it can scale as you progress.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
After learning I was now immortal from picking berries and bacon shrooms and my rebar gun. I went off adventuring found a cave to another area. Explored there for along time while finding 4-5 crash sites, a quartz mining node cave that I set up some quick setup while I continued to explorered, a caterium node under some rocks that I could hand mine and I mined 900 ore to make ingots. Completed a bunch of research and got a hot rod of a car, a map, and on the road to a rifle. I just unlocked crude oil gathering so I think that's my next step.

I foresee having to make some roads at one point with nothing but concrete in my car. Also found a beach and learned how deep it has to be to turn the car off. Its not very deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I remember doing early exploring in this game with a truck. Until I realized that on foot and with a pocket full platforms would probably serve me better.