Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you count Underworlds every God has a band. Nurgle just got one this past season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you count Underworlds every God has a band. Nurgle just got one this past season.

Are the Wurmspat chonkerbois (and curvygrill) actually humans? I thought they were ogres or something?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pretty sure the Wurmspat are human, just they're subject to the usual bloated-with-decay-but-strong phenomenon you see among most Nurgle worshippers.

And even if they were ogres they'd still fit the "mortal" categorization :v:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Also, aren't all the native Warcry warbands meant to be Undivided?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

And even if they were ogres they'd still fit the "mortal" categorization :v:

True: Two of them have visible navels (or would if not for herniated intestine) so I don't think they're ogres (I never played Fantasy but IIRC Warhammer Ogres had mouths in their bellies?), one of them has a gut-plate but it looks so similar to the other two that I don't think it has a mouth under there?

E: I tell a lie, two of them have visible navels (one has a fly nesting in it).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 23, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Also, aren't all the native Warcry warbands meant to be Undivided?

They are.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Schadenboner posted:

True: Two of them have visible navels (or would if not for herniated intestine) so I don't think they're ogres (I never played Fantasy but IIRC Warhammer Ogres had mouths in their bellies?), one of them has a gut-plate but it looks so similar to the other two that I don't think it has a mouth under there?

You may be thinking of their gut-plates (armor covering their bellies) which usually have a relief of the Great Maw (their object of worship, usually rows of fangs) on them.

Random mouths appearing on your body tends to be more a sign of overt Chaos corruption, Nurgle has it in spades but you see it with other gods' followers as well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pyrolocutus posted:

You may be thinking of their gut-plates (armor covering their bellies) which usually have a relief of the Great Maw (their object of worship, usually rows of fangs) on them.

Random mouths appearing on your body tends to be more a sign of overt Chaos corruption, Nurgle has it in spades but you see it with other gods' followers as well.

I didn't know that: I thought the mouths were literal not figurative. :tipshat:

Fluffwise, what are the Blightkings/Blightlords supposed to have started out as (it looks like they comes on 40s which is the size of ordinary ogres so that's my guess?)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Humans mostly, they're built like ogres but they're noticeably shorter. But a couple of them are Hills have Eyes style cannibal families so there's multiple generations of mutation compounding.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chaos mutations tend to come with an increase in size and strength, Khorne and Nurgle especially, so you end up with humans that sort of look like Ogres. Not to say you can't have Chaos Ogres, and Warcry sports a pretty diverse range including non-Hashut-worshipping Chaos Dwarves. It's just that humans tend to be prolific and take to chaos pretty readily.

Nurgle also has the bloating/corpulence thing going on in addition to the general increase in strength/mass so they look even more like Ogres.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I didn't know that: I thought the mouths were literal not figurative. :tipshat:

On the actual models, the gutplate covers up a big hollow. So if you're a proficient modeler or kitbasher and you want to turn an ogre into a chaos ogre or chaos spawn, it's a good place to put a slavering maw. If you see that enough times, you start to associate it with them.

Plus, a fair few GW models begin life as kitbash sketches of the concept.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
More Lord of the Rings stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Has anyone tried out the Underworlds Arena Mortalis expansion yet? Considering picking it up as I want an extra board anyways.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Finished some warriors of Gondor.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone tried out the Underworlds Arena Mortalis expansion yet? Considering picking it up as I want an extra board anyways.

Did not play the actual game mode, but there are some decent cards in it, if that matters to you!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm excited for the Underworlds Arena game, but it's kind of the opposite of COVID secure because it's even more players around a single tiny board. So I'll get it but doubt I'll be able to play it for quite some time to come.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Did not play the actual game mode, but there are some decent cards in it, if that matters to you!

Thanks!

Started in on a new warband to tide me over till Direchasm comes out! After two warbands of gobbos, I had to go lower, to the most degenerate creatures of all: the ghoul.

Trying to get out of my comfort zone and do a filthy John Blanche style with limited results, but I'm pleased with the experiment so far.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Atlas Hugged posted:

Finished some warriors of Gondor.

Thems some steely bois what are gonna be sent to they death at a pointless last stand at an unholdable city ruin to assuage the grief and imperial ambitions of they mad not-king!

What did you do for the armor? It looks great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Schadenboner posted:

Thems some steely bois what are gonna be sent to they death at a pointless last stand at an unholdable city ruin to assuage the grief and imperial ambitions of they mad not-king!

What did you do for the armor? It looks great.

Thanks.

I spray white with generic hardware store spray. Then I do a wash of Reiksguard Flesh. After that, I put on a layer of the dark contrast grey (the site is telling me it's Basilicanum Grey, but I feel like that's not right, I'll check after work to see if it's the same). Then I use Army Painter's silver, I'll have to check if it's Shining or Plate Mail. After that, I just use black to make sure the lines are distinct. I finish by painting on Valejo gloss and then a layer of Lahmian Medium when that sets.

Edit: Yeah, it was Basilicanum Grey and Plate Mail.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 3, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Another grimy ghoul. I've always liked ghouls, but put off the Gymwatch for ages as I hated the models, but now I think I might just hate the studio paint job.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Another grimy ghoul. I've always liked ghouls, but put off the Gymwatch for ages as I hated the models, but now I think I might just hate the studio paint job.

Powerful knight

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's... not great. It's the kind of thing that's fun as a break between hectic league or tournament practice games, but there's really not much to it. Slightly more fun than standard multiplayer games, especially as it's made some of the lesser-used warbands fun again because they have one or two great fighters (looking at you Skellies and Skaven).

But it does have some good cards...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Finished up this big fella.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Strong LotR turn in the thread! Great job!

Once I've waded through my napoleonics and Saga armies, I want to go back to paint up my Ogre and Friends for Beastgrave.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

It's... not great. It's the kind of thing that's fun as a break between hectic league or tournament practice games, but there's really not much to it. Slightly more fun than standard multiplayer games, especially as it's made some of the lesser-used warbands fun again because they have one or two great fighters (looking at you Skellies and Skaven).

But it does have some good cards...

I'll probably end up grabbing it- I really only play with my cousin, but a friend of his is coming down to visit with a few warbands so something for multiplayer (and an extra board) would be good to have. We're not particularly serious players, so a change of pace would probably be fun.

Two more for the Boo Crew, desperately trying to angle some natural light in for better photos.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Are the Wurmspat decent now with the cards from the newer warbands?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What are considered "good" warbands? I have Ironsoul's Condemnors and the wraiths from the Dreadfane box, as well as Mollog's Mob and Thundrikk's Profiteers (who are the biggest freaking PITA to paint with all their overhangs and stuff, they look drat cool though). I haven't really played much with the latter two but the wraiths so far seem like a pretty great crew.

The game is much easier now that I've 3d printed little nameplates for everyone. It's hard to remember who can use which cards when everyone is an identical ghost or armored behemoth that only varies by their pose.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Injuryprone posted:

Are the Wurmspat decent now with the cards from the newer warbands?

Wurmspat were apparently (per the Discord, I haven't had a chance to get a game in months) competitive even before then, but they rely heavily on neutrals and the initial loss of S2 and limited neutral choices from S4 will be a pita for them for a bit.

E: Does not apply if you're not adhering to the "only latest two seasons" that matched play adheres to.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

What are considered "good" warbands? I have Ironsoul's Condemnors and the wraiths from the Dreadfane box, as well as Mollog's Mob and Thundrikk's Profiteers (who are the biggest freaking PITA to paint with all their overhangs and stuff, they look drat cool though). I haven't really played much with the latter two but the wraiths so far seem like a pretty great crew.

The game is much easier now that I've 3d printed little nameplates for everyone. It's hard to remember who can use which cards when everyone is an identical ghost or armored behemoth that only varies by their pose.

I don't know about "good" but Zarbag's Gitz are a lot of fun to play and have won me more games than any of my other warbands (disclaimer: I am bad at playing).

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

food court bailiff posted:

Wraith's were competitive for sure for a while, not sure about now. I've been playing Zarbag's Gitz on a lot of competitions, and placed in top 4 all the time (out of 16+), and yeah they look fun and are fun to play, they are strong at control-objective play, scoring 10+ Glory in a single end phase is always hilarious. Beat Condemnor's with them multiple times last weekend. I didn't play as much in Beastgrave as I wanted, but top teams used to be Rippa's, Briar Queen, Hrothgorn, Saekth's and Grymwatch before the planet and events went to hell. It all depends on your local meta tho. (Thundrik's and Cursebreakers used to be top in Nightvault.)

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

And that's a wrap on the Grymwatch! Man, these guys were fast to paint compared to models with pouches and banners and belts and poo poo.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Those Ghouls look great! full of character with a clever "Saturn devouring his son" vibe and colour palette.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
All of my terrain has finally arrived. Probably wasn't the best year to order from Europe. Probably wasn't the best month to order from Poland.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Hobbit-postin'!!!

I actually painted this Balrog 13 or 14 YEARS ago, but it broke in a bunch of spots and I'd never based it. It was the first mini paint job I've ever really been "proud" of and I'm super happy to have it back on the shelf.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Hobbit-postin'!!!

I actually painted this Balrog 13 or 14 YEARS ago, but it broke in a bunch of spots and I'd never based it. It was the first mini paint job I've ever really been "proud" of and I'm super happy to have it back on the shelf.

Nice! That's got to be the big metal boy, right? I think I prefer that they switched to plastic for this model just because of the weight of it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Hobbit-postin'!!!

Nice, looks great! Out of curiosity, where did it break? I can't really tell in this photo (great job fixing it) so I'm just curious now, is all. Good job either way - looks very nice

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nice! That's got to be the big metal boy, right? I think I prefer that they switched to plastic for this model just because of the weight of it.

Far out, yeah that thing would almost weigh as much as a brick!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Major Isoor posted:

Nice, looks great! Out of curiosity, where did it break? I can't really tell in this photo (great job fixing it) so I'm just curious now, is all. Good job either way - looks very nice

Far out, yeah that thing would almost weigh as much as a brick!

The right sword-arm only has a little bump to help position it to the arm, so I re-glued it with a pin this time.

Also confirming it's a giant hunk of pewter, but the wings are plastic.

My brother and I are attempting to collect enough stuff to run at least a bunch of the "Quest of the Ringbearer" scenarios where you play through a bunch of the major scenes from the movies

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I finally got off of my rear end and started finishing my Reaver titans. The first three are now done. They are named The Red Bull, Baba Yaga, and Knochensammler (bone collector)

I'm really happy with how they turned out.

The Red Bull. The art on the carapace and the crown around the head are both inspired by The Last Unicorn

I also put a dying/dead World Eater in the canal before I did the water pour.

Knochensammler. It is a bit hard to see due to the vegetation, but it is stepping out of the woods and stomping through an Imperial Guard artillery battery, with figures fleeing in terror.

Finally, Baba Yaga. I had a lot of fun making the train derailment scene. Z scale trains are perfect for Titanicus.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jadebullet posted:

The Red Bull. The art on the carapace and the crown around the head are both inspired by The Last Unicorn

I see no wings.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the canal one is FANTASTIC but they are all great!